• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Political correctness gone mad

Of course, people have the right to be disrespectful of others, if that's what they want. But they really need to stop acting surprised or victimised when they are called on their rudeness; and they need to recognise that just because they have the right to say something rude, that does not mean they have the right to remain respected by their peers, or by their wider society, if they exercise that right.

For the most part, I think Neil Gaiman is correct. Where this all fails is when it's applied to an uber sensitive person that finds a ton of things personally offensive.

Let's say I'm having people over to watch a UFC event. Those of you that know me know I curse a lot, but I'm very capable of not cursing at all when I'm in social situations or work related situations where it's not appropriate and I have no problem at all with that. But, we're watching some event and let's say there's 9 other people. 8 of those people are fellow Vulgarian's like me but the 9th person announces that he/she finds swearing offensive because they weren't raised around it or whatever. Should everyone watching the event immediately stop and feel bad that they were rude? Should they just stop. Should they ask the stuck up cunt what the fuck their problem is? :D

We all know people that are overly sensitive. I can be too, particularly over things like people dropping the "N word" or joking about abusing women. Those are triggers for me, but I can't imagine expecting people that do that to speak like me and think like me because they are in my presence. It seems it would be more up to me to decide whether I wanted to be in that persons presence and how the fuck would I know if I didn't let them speak their mind the way they do. That 9th person at my pretend UFC party may really dislike people that swear, and I'd be giving off the wrong impression that I'm something I'm not...leading them to later be...offended by my actions.

The question is 'do I care if I offend this person?'. If the answer is 'Yes', then changing your behaviour to avoid giving offence is the smart way to go; If the answer is 'No', then it is stupid to be upset, surprised, or annoyed when the person takes offence.

Accusations of 'Political Correctness' fall into that 'stupid' category. It's entirely your call whether or not to offend the overly sensitive attendee; And it is an admission of stupidity for you to complain about 'Political Correctness' if they take offence after you make your decision not to respect their feelings.

Rather than saying "Don't impose your 'Political Correctness' on me, you stuck up cunt", your response could be "Sorry, but that's how we act around here; I didn't particularly go out of my way to cause offence, but as I have no intention of accommodating your opinion, if you don't like it, you should leave, you stuck up cunt".

For the most part, I think Neil Gaiman is correct. Where this all fails is when it's applied to an uber sensitive person that finds a ton of things personally offensive.

Let's say I'm having people over to watch a UFC event. Those of you that know me know I curse a lot, but I'm very capable of not cursing at all when I'm in social situations or work related situations where it's not appropriate and I have no problem at all with that. But, we're watching some event and let's say there's 9 other people. 8 of those people are fellow Vulgarian's like me but the 9th person announces that he/she finds swearing offensive because they weren't raised around it or whatever. Should everyone watching the event immediately stop and feel bad that they were rude? Should they just stop. Should they ask the stuck up cunt what the fuck their problem is? :D

We all know people that are overly sensitive. I can be too, particularly over things like people dropping the "N word" or joking about abusing women. Those are triggers for me, but I can't imagine expecting people that do that to speak like me and think like me because they are in my presence. It seems it would be more up to me to decide whether I wanted to be in that persons presence and how the fuck would I know if I didn't let them speak their mind the way they do. That 9th person at my pretend UFC party may really dislike people that swear, and I'd be giving off the wrong impression that I'm something I'm not...leading them to later be...offended by my actions.

The question is 'do I care if I offend this person?'. If the answer is 'Yes', then changing your behaviour to avoid giving offence is the smart way to go; If the answer is 'No', then it is stupid to be upset, surprised, or annoyed when the person takes offence.

Accusations of 'Political Correctness' fall into that 'stupid' category. It's entirely your call whether or not to offend the overly sensitive attendee; And it is an admission of stupidity for you to complain about 'Political Correctness' if they take offence after you make your decision not to respect their feelings.

Rather than saying "Don't impose your 'Political Correctness' on me, you stuck up cunt", your response could be "Sorry, but that's how we act around here; I didn't particularly go out of my way to cause offence, but as I have no intention of accommodating your opinion, if you don't like it, you should leave, you stuck up cunt".

I completely agree with all of that. I think if at my pretend event, if I continued swearing around person 9, it would be pretty stupid to complain about Political Correctness.

I've been the uber sensitive one in groups I've found myself in. I've been in groups of guys where they were just trashing women and it's gotten out of hand and I've asked them to not do that in my presence. I've asked numerous people not to call black people the N word around me. I have triggers like everybody else. I guess to me I don't mean "don't speak those words I hate or leave", I mean "please don't turn out to be a racist cunt...you seemed alright and now we can't hang out".

I think it is more about "good manners" and when one chooses to use them. My best friends wife is sensitive about certain words...way more than me (surprise!) and when we are at their place or go out with them, I do not use those words unless it's to tease her (because we do playfully joust sometimes). But she's also adjusted a bit too in that she isn't quite as...well, "uptight" (IMO) or at least she understands 99% of the time I am not trying to offend a single person with my language, I just do not find the same words vulgar that many people do. I don't swear around my dad and never have, but when I'm just with my mom, we both curse like crazy just when we speak about every day things.

My problem...and it ties in with Political Correctness (the OP), is with uber sensitive people that expect everyone they encounter to adjust to all their issues and people that jump the shark and over do it with their hobby horses and use it to tell everyone else how to think, walk and talk. I have a passion for engaging with retarded cunts like that.

your response could be "Sorry, but that's how we act around here; I didn't particularly go out of my way to cause offence, but as I have no intention of accommodating your opinion, if you don't like it, you should leave, you stuck up cunt".
And you were going so well until that very last word, Master Bilby.
:sad-smiley-021:

... politically incorrect, when in fact it is just ethically incorrect...

Much of the time it's people who WANT to be unethical who give the label politically incorrect to something that is ethically incorrect. This situation isn't any different than those others.

... politically incorrect, when in fact it is just ethically incorrect...

Much of the time it's people who WANT to be unethical who give the label politically incorrect to something that is ethically incorrect. This situation isn't any different than those others.

Many who are acting politically incorrect don't know they are acting politically correct. Douche bag Bill, although making mucho bucks, acted out his nature based on the world he with which he is familiar. I'm not sure that is politically correct except in the eye of the 'knowing' beholder and carrier of truth, goodness, the-whatever-your-danm-nation-is's way commenting on the scene. Douche bag Bill has no sense of the sensibilities of the gentry limiting knives at parties so he wears his blade proudly. He's happy to be called douche bag bill because he's married and his name is bill and he lives in that little one bedroom down on the other side of the tracks with his common law rape victim. He's proud he rips fat cats off because his poor neighbors hate them and he gets creds for so doing.

His ethic is not whatever's ethic, his proper vocal behavior is not whatever's vocal behavior. The correctness exists only in the eyes of whatever. Its entirely lost on douche bag Bill. How in hell can 'correcting' him be right? Look at minorities in whatever land. Are they expecting the same things looking at the same ideals as are the hose who wrote the laws of whatever land?

For political correctness to fit in social discourse referents need be pretty much the same else sound is put into the wind only causing derision as would a foreigner's protests among those it was meant to 'correct'.

To be politically correct there must be connecting substance between correcting and the corrected. In most places I suspect that isn't true. Certainly it is not true here in god damn fucking impressive and 'ceptional 'Merica. So we shame those at Dartmouth who become incensed over writings on sidewalks because we con't understand their culture.

Got it yet?

Complaints about political correctness are nothing more than bigots complaining about the fact that people call them out for being bigots.

Excuse me, I used the politically incorrect phrase. We are supposed to use "social justice warrior" instead of "political correctness" now. Whatever.

Complaints about political correctness are nothing more than bigots complaining about the fact that people call them out for being bigots.

That seems like a pretty massive generalization. Care to demonstrate that everyone who complains about political correctness is a bigot? Keep in mind that political correctness falls under respecting religious beliefs as well.

your response could be "Sorry, but that's how we act around here; I didn't particularly go out of my way to cause offence, but as I have no intention of accommodating your opinion, if you don't like it, you should leave, you stuck up cunt".

I'm pretty sure he was humoring me and my penchant for vulgar language ;)

The best communicators are able to adjust their language according to the person they are speaking with. I'm sure when Bilby is talking to Rhea he doesn't use the word retarded and generally doesn't throw in swear words like punctuation (like SOME people around here :D) but when he's talking to a Native of Vulgaria, he's very smoothly able to speak my language and use a vulgar word as a joke (which is 85% of how I use vulgar words). Dropping the "c" word right at the end of a very well thought out and vulgarless statement is fooking hilarious!

So don't be hard on the guy for being multilingual ;)

Why, what's the big deal with the word 'cunt'? It's practically a punctuation mark in Australian English.

...an uber sensitive person that finds a ton of things personally offensive.

Godless,

IMHO what has happened is that the term 'political correctness' has been spun to reflect only the above. It is similar to the spinning of the word 'liberal' to mean communist.

On the subject of spinning, Bill Maher did a good piece on what Bernie Sanders actually says as opposed to what conservatives hear. It's a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATqcoGOsxE

Alex.

...an uber sensitive person that finds a ton of things personally offensive.

Godless,

IMHO what has happened is that the term 'political correctness' has been spun to reflect only the above. It is similar to the spinning of the word 'liberal' to mean communist.

On the subject of spinning, Bill Maher did a good piece on what Bernie Sanders actually says as opposed to what conservatives hear. It's a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATqcoGOsxE

Alex.

Thanks for the clarification (and the link) Alex!

Cheers,

GR :)

Back
Top Bottom