• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll: Does being white better suit someone to be neutral on matters of race?

Does being white better suit someone to be neutral on matters of race?

• Total voters
The conversation goes downhill because everyone in earshot has just realized they are speaking to someone who has lost touch with reality. Why would anyone think that some 5,000 years of continuous white progress and prosperity would come to a halt? Get a grip.

I've been white longer than you have, and apparently better at it than you, so you should listen to me.

Technical note: Blinders shield peripheral vision. The go on the side of the eyes, not over them.
OK, try saying, "The white race will obviously continue to prosper, and I am glad of it," if you are a damned idiot.

Do I get a Captain Obvious badge for doing that?

Where did you get the idea that the white race is not prospering? What's going on in your life that makes it look so bad for the white race?

OK, try saying, "The white race will obviously continue to prosper, and I am glad of it," if you are a damned idiot.

Where did you get the idea that the white race is not prospering? What's going on in your life that makes it look so bad for the white race?
Read again. Try saying, "The white race will obviously continue to prosper, and I am glad of it." If you really are a damned idiot, then go ahead and say such a thing to anyone, and report the results.

And what does everybody know?

Saying something and having someone else disagree with it or not liking it is not "breaking a taboo." It is a disagreement, an argument, maybe even a fight, but it is not a taboo.

Now if any resistance to something you do or say is enough to keep you from doing or saying it, then your problem isn't with the resistance, but with something much closer to home.
OK, what qualifies as "taboo," in your opinion? If the claimed taboo against the defense of the white race is not "taboo," then what would qualify, if anything?

What qualifies as "defense of the white race", in your opinion? If there were no taboo, in your mind or anyone else's, what would you do or say?

You just said it. Did the sky fall?

Skies never fall when taboos are violated, and the "prohibited" in the definition has no inherent relation to formal criminal law. It requires only strong social expectations that are enforced with the same type of social pressures and sanctions that making jokes about pedophilia are. 90% of the time that the word "taboo" is used in modern discourse, there are no formal laws or punishments for breaking the taboo, and plenty of people do violate the taboo. The idea being conveyed by the word is nothing more than that the majority/mainstream culture finds the act highly objectionable and condemn and shun people to break it. It is widely agreed that comedians often break "taboos" as a source of humor. Yet none of them are formally punished and no skies fall. They merely get shunned by mainstream culture, despite being embraced by marginal sub-cultures. In fact, the word is widely used for violations far less extreme than proclaiming "White Pride" on a t-shirt. Merely bringing up the topic of religion or politics at dinner is commonly referred to as "taboo".

Bottom line is that your efforts to harp on your overly narrow use of the term is a red-herring, irrelevant to the point that their are strong social sanctions against people even feeling let alone expressing that their whiteness is an important part of their identity, especially one that they take any honor or pride in.

OK, what qualifies as "taboo," in your opinion? If the claimed taboo against the defense of the white race is not "taboo," then what would qualify, if anything?

What qualifies as "defense of the white race", in your opinion? If there were no taboo, in your mind or anyone else's, what would you do or say?
ronburgundy brought up a pretty good example: The "Caucasian Heritage Night" by a minor-league baseball team in Utah. You can read about it here: http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=131690108&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t519&sid=t519. Close inspection reveals that it was actually about RIDICULING the white race, but that is obviously not why it was cancelled. If there was no taboo, it wouldn't change what I do or say so much, because I accept the consequences. I proposed presenting a small talk (one of a hundred talks) in defense of scientific racism at a conference of my own fraternal organization. The response on their Facebook group was a series of verbal abuse. Someone wrote, "I have had enough of dancing politely around this racist idiot. Fuck him. And just to let you know... this Arian will kick your ass if I ever hear you preach this crap." But, another thought that such violence was going too far and instead proposed a moderate response: throwing tomatoes at me.

ronburgundy brought up a pretty good example: The "Caucasian Heritage Night" by a minor-league baseball team in Utah. You can read about it here: http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=131690108&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t519&sid=t519. Close inspection reveals that it was actually about RIDICULING the white race, but that is obviously not why it was cancelled. If there was no taboo, it wouldn't change what I do or say so much, because I accept the consequences. I proposed presenting a small talk (one of a hundred talks) in defense of scientific racism at a conference of my own fraternal organization. The response on their Facebook group was a series of verbal abuse. Someone wrote, "I have had enough of dancing politely around this racist idiot. Fuck him. And just to let you know... this Arian will kick your ass if I ever hear you preach this crap." But, another thought that such violence was going too far and instead proposed a moderate response: throwing tomatoes at me.

Damn, kid. You really don't get it. How did you get saddled with this inferiority complex?

If you keep trying to peddle scientific racism, you are going to be treated as if you are an idiot. There's no taboo in that. Nobody but inbred skinhead hillbillys buy into that nonsense. Stop listening to inbred skinhead hillbillys and if you are one, stop being one. It's an embarrassment to the white race. Makes us all look stupid.

The white race is doing just fine without anyone rallying to its defense, and if it did, you would not be the best choice of champion. Things are fine with the white race. Trust me.

Damn, kid. You really don't get it. How did you get saddled with this inferiority complex?

If you keep trying to peddle scientific racism, you are going to be treated as if you are an idiot. There's no taboo in that. Nobody but inbred skinhead hillbillys buy into that nonsense. Stop listening to inbred skinhead hillbillys and if you are one, stop being one. It's an embarrassment to the white race. Makes us all look stupid.

The white race is doing just fine without anyone rallying to its defense, and if it did, you would not be the best choice of champion. Things are fine with the white race. Trust me.
People say stupid things, and threats of violence are not typically expected to follow from their statements. There are people who advocate in favor of the belief that vaccines cause autism, it is stupid, and it is a perspective that actually costs lives, but they don't normally expect either violence or threats of violence against them. I do. You are welcome to disagree with my point of view. But, if your disagreement means being blind to the overwhelmingly obvious, then it would be like we are from two different planets. We can't hope to have a comprehensible conversation.

I deal with white people every workday, mostly white men in middle management and above, and most of them are "Don't tax me" republicans. They aren't ashamed of being white nor are they plagued with persecution complexes or stifling fears of breaking taboos. The only time I run into people who fear such things, is when I am on the internet.

Funny that.

People say stupid things, and threats of violence are not typically expected to follow from their statements. There are people who advocate in favor of the belief that vaccines cause autism, it is stupid, and it is a perspective that actually costs lives, but they don't normally expect either violence or threats of violence against them. I do. You are welcome to disagree with my point of view. But, if your disagreement means being blind to the overwhelmingly obvious, then it would be like we are from two different planets. We can't hope to have a comprehensible conversation.

I'm from the planet where white men control almost everything.

I offer my council in good faith, but it's not my mission to make you a better man. When you get up on your soapbox about scientific racism, expect to be ignored by the majority of people of all races. Expect a hostile reaction from a few people and a welcome reaction from fewer still. That's reality on planet Earth.

I deal with white people every workday, mostly white men in middle management and above, and most of them are "Don't tax me" republicans. They aren't ashamed of being white nor are they plagued with persecution complexes or stifling fears of breaking taboos. The only time I run into people who fear such things, is when I am on the internet.

Funny that.
Right. The Internet is where people are relatively free to say what they really think. Certainly not the workplace.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm from the planet where white men control almost everything.

I offer my council in good faith, but it's not my mission to make you a better man. When you get up on your soapbox about scientific racism, expect to be ignored by the majority of people of all races. Expect a hostile reaction from a few people and a welcome reaction from fewer still. That's reality on planet Earth.
Cool, no disagreement there.

"... it is a shameful taboo to uphold and defend the socially acceptable. It is a little awkward and embarrassing to identify as socially acceptable. Nothing can be openly attributed to the socially acceptable except negative values."

white is the social norm in America, it is the standard, it is whatever is generally accepted as proper. There is a taboo against normalcy?
Being white is normal. Defending the white identity is taboo. If it seems like a contradiction, then resolving it and understanding it may be key to understanding the white experience in America.
What on earth does "being white is normal" mean?

Read again. Try saying, "The white race will obviously continue to prosper, and I am glad of it." If you really are a damned idiot, then go ahead and say such a thing to anyone, and report the results.

You are wasting your time on somebody who is deliberately being obtuse, and has the stamina to keep the performance up indefinitely.

Being white is normal. Defending the white identity is taboo. If it seems like a contradiction, then resolving it and understanding it may be key to understanding the white experience in America.

You know, better than anyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

You are wasting your time on somebody who is deliberately being obtuse, and has the stamina to keep the performance up indefinitely.

Obtuse means going in two different directions. I'm staying point.

You don't need to own a dictionary. There are free dictionaries on the Internet.

You know, better than anyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are right.

You don't need to own a dictionary. There are free dictionaries on the Internet.
Just as I suspected, you have no idea what you mean either.

Sure he does. He knows exactly what he means. He is simply reluctant to elucidate his point as he prefers to hide his racism behind some imagined shield, in this case, imagined rationality. The problem is that we also know what he means.

Heh, I used to work with a German who believed that stuff. She wasn't, as far as I could tell, either inbred or a hillbilly. But she was also mentally ill as well as being a racist and having a number of other character defects.

"... it is a shameful taboo to uphold and defend the socially acceptable. It is a little awkward and embarrassing to identify as socially acceptable. Nothing can be openly attributed to the socially acceptable except negative values."

white is the social norm in America, it is the standard, it is whatever is generally accepted as proper. There is a taboo against normalcy?

Wow. So, the ideological blinders are really leading people to deny that treating white identity as a positive core attribute of oneself is not widely shunned by mainstream modern society? Just last week, a minor league baseball team had planned a "Caucasian-heritage night" where there were going to be various foods from northern and western European countries. It blew up into a major national story and they were attacked almost uniformly as racist and the event was quickly cancelled. Outside of the KKK, it was likely the first effort in decades by any culturally mainstream organization to give any honor or even acknowledge "white/causcasian heritage", and it will be the last because all such efforts will be immediately attacked as racist. Celebrations tied to specific countries or cultural traditions are acceptable, but only if nothing about being "white" is acknowledged. In contrast, "black heritage" and "black pride" celebrations are rampant, sponsored by major corporations, backed openly by countless politicians, talked about on all but Fox News as positive great things without slightest hint that they might be racist. Any person who even asks whether there should be a "white" counterparts to these things is presumed a racist and idiot.
BTW, I am not objecting to any of these realities of our modern culture where mainstream culture celebrates black pride and attacks any effort to celebrate pride in anything that even smells like "white pride". The fact is that you do kind of need to be a racist to want a "white pride" day, but having a "black pride" day can mean you just are trying to counter the effects of centuries of systematic racism and slavery.

Two people walking down the street. A black guy in a "black and proud" t-shirt is viewed as no big deal, just a black person that is proud of his heritage, and good for him. A white guy in a "white and proud" t-shirt would be presunmed by virtually 100% of people to be a rabid racist, and probably an active member of extremist political groups. In fact, he's likely be approached by white supremacist and congratulated for his "courage" and asked to join them.

In fact, Sarah Silverman uses the idea that she identifies proudly as white as a punchline in a joke, because it is so clearly wrong and viewed as racist to even think that way, and endorsing extremely wrong ideas as though they no big deal is a standard trope in comedy, especially her style.
[P]"People are always introducing me as "Sarah Silverman, Jewish comedian." I hate that! I wish people would see me for who I really am — I'm white!"
[/P]

In addition, the massive public shaming against having one's whiteness as a positive part of their identity is not the only factor. As I pointed out before, the simple fact of statistical proportions of the population, makes race a much less common variable in interactions for whites than blacks. For most whites, a very small % of personal interactions are with non-whites, and most of those are with Hispanics where Nationality or recent immigrant status overshadows the variable of race. Thus, "race" is not often a variable in their interactions. In contrast, due to being only 12% of the population, despite segregated sub-regions, most blacks have personal interactions with many non-blacks. Race is a variable in a much higher % of their personal interactions.
Race being a variable in one's interactions, makes one's own race a much more salient feature.

Bottom line is that it is mostly only white racists have their "whiteness" as a part of their personal psychological identity. That includes your standard white supremacists plus the leftist flavor of white racists who view everything through a lens of who belongs to what racial group, so they can decide who is "privileged" and who deserves compensation for belonging to a group mistreated by others. They often identify as "white", not as something to be proud of, but something they are ashamed of and to show how sensitive they are to their undeserved privilege.

Discredited is not the same thing as taboo. Taboo is not the same thing as being wrong headed, ignorant, racist, stupid, ill informed, or having a remarkably tiny penis that might shrivel completely and fall off if the superiority of your protective color coating is not universally held as actually superior rather than something that is conferred by your genetic makeup and which in modern society conveys unearned privilege you choose not to acknowledge.

It is taboo to have sex with your brother or your grandmother or your nephew or your dog. Or farm animals. In the last two cases, it's probably also illegal.

Race relations in the US are pretty messed up and the chief reason is this insistence to treat minorities different from whites.
When even rabid black racists are not ostracized but even mild white racists are, that's a problem with race relations.
When some even deny that non-whites can be racist, that's a problem with race relations.
When media narrative is all about an epidemic of white violence against blacks when FBI data show the black-on-white murders outnumber white-on-black murders by a factor of more than 2:1, that's a problem with race relations.
When the concept of "microaggressions" is invented and things like supporting a colorblind society or opposing affirmative action are declared as such (or merely correcting black students' papers for that matter), that's a problem with race relations.
And so on.

The only way to move forward is to stop racial double standards and embrace true equality and not this politically correct perversion of it.

Back
Top Bottom