• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Portland police halt minor traffic stops, citing disparity

I don't know?! It rains in Portland. We get snow sometimes. Sometimes the weather is bad and visibility is limited, made worse at night. If my tail light goes it, it's harder to see me. And I probably won't notice. I'd rather have the police tell me.

I wouldn't mind being pulled over to be informed that my taillight is out either...but then again I am quite white, so I probably wouldn't be. And if I was pulled over to be informed my light is out, that would probably be the end of the incident. That is not so for other people. They get asked to get out of their vehicle, they get asked if they would mind if the cops digs around in their car and/or trunk for no good reason far too often. I've had a cop be an asshole towards out of the gate towards me 2 different times at minor stops. I just stayed polite and lived with it. I can't imagine, dealing with such attitude if it came with a cop just assuming I'm a thug...

Where I used to live was right next to a very ritzy neighborhood where the bottom houses started around a million dollars. There was a black family guy there that had called the police as there was a suspicious vehicle hanging about. As he went out to meet the cops from his house, the car drove away. The cop, instead of listening to the guy, was all worked up about who he was and what he was doing there. By the time the home owner could get the cop to believe that he actually owned the home, the stranger was long friggin gone. Cuz we all know, blacks can't own uber nice houses nor drive expensive cars...

I don't know?! It rains in Portland. We get snow sometimes. Sometimes the weather is bad and visibility is limited, made worse at night. If my tail light goes it, it's harder to see me. And I probably won't notice. I'd rather have the police tell me.

I wouldn't mind being pulled over to be informed that my taillight is out either...but then again I am quite white, so I probably wouldn't be. And if I was pulled over to be informed my light is out, that would probably be the end of the incident. That is not so for other people. They get asked to get out of their vehicle, they get asked if they would mind if the cops digs around in their car and/or trunk for no good reason far too often. I've had a cop be an asshole towards out of the gate towards me 2 different times at minor stops. I just stayed polite and lived with it. I can't imagine, dealing with such attitude if it came with a cop just assuming I'm a thug...

Where I used to live was right next to a very ritzy neighborhood where the bottom houses started around a million dollars. There was a black family guy there that had called the police as there was a suspicious vehicle hanging about. As he went out to meet the cops from his house, the car drove away. The cop, instead of listening to the guy, was all worked up about who he was and what he was doing there. By the time the home owner could get the cop to believe that he actually owned the home, the stranger was long friggin gone. Cuz we all know, blacks can't own uber nice houses nor drive expensive cars...

That reminds me of the time my neighbors got into a heated argument over dog poop on the lawn (both white) I went out there to calm them down which I succeeded in doing and they were all hugs and silly stuff admitting how crazy they were acting. Anyhow some other neighbor called the cops cause one showed up while we were laughing things off. The first thing the cop did was get out of his car and approach me with his hand extended like I needed to be addressed asap out of the three folks standing before him. I was so fucking pissed about that, but it all turned out well in the end so whatever.

I've been pulled over by police because of a tail light being out--as I was on my way to get my tail light fixed.

I would have appreciated being informed of the tail light being out if I had not already known that it was out. Actually, I DID appreciate it when a co-worker who was driving into the parking lot behind me noticed my light was out and told me. It had not been out when I left the house that morning because it was dark, and I noticed all the lights working.

I definitely appreciate that I wasn't made to fear for my safety or my life because I was pulled over for a tail light that had burned out.

My wife was pulled over shortly after we got out latest car for the license plate light being out. It was during the height of the pandemic and all the secretary of state offices were closed and open only by appointments which took months to get. The plate on the car belonged to the car we were planning on transferring from. The cop let her go just telling her she needed to get the light fixed. I can imagine how it might have gone down if she were black.

My wife was pulled over shortly after we got out latest car for the license plate light being out. It was during the height of the pandemic and all the secretary of state offices were closed and open only by appointments which took months to get. The plate on the car belonged to the car we were planning on transferring from. The cop let her go just telling her she needed to get the light fixed. I can imagine how it might have gone down if she were black.

Many years ago, when my husband was a very scruffy grad student, he took a pair of shoes into a shoe repair shop to be fixed. As he exited the shop, he was met by several local police officers, weapons drawn and pointed at him, slammed up against the side of the building while they ascertained that he was not the person who was suspected of killing a police officer some hours earlier. Thankfully, he had ID on him, which helped.

We were VERY glad that he wasn't black that day.

I guess I should add that part of my issue/point is that in the 3 times I've interacted with cop on the road, 2 of the 3 times they were cocky assholes. As they are supposed to be professionals there to "serve and protect" that just seems wrong at least from my antidotal experience. As I have spent my career as a working professional, I would never, and didn't, act like the cocky 2 cops I've dealt with. Thank Zeus I can hold onto my cell phone without the fear of being shot...

First, I was pulled over at early night as a teenager, as I only had on my running lights. It was an old Chevy and it was easy to only get the knob pulled out half way, never mind the city streets had a zillion lights and was easy to see around. But, sure enough asshole out of the gate...

2nd time, my wife and I were driving thru the night to get to a friends wedding. We pulled off a freeway exit and parked in the middle of nowhere to get a cold soda out of the back hatch around midnight. A cop pulled up, and was very professional, and he quickly figured out that we were just dumb travelers. He asked us if we knew where we were, pointing out that the Mexican border was just over there. So he recommended that we finish up and not be there and left. It is ironic that this one was the professional cop, as even 30 plus years ago there were border issues (drugs/immigrants).

3rd time, we were in the middle of a pack of cars going about 10-12 over the 55 limit on a 2 lane country highway that was straight and clear as far as you could see in the middle of nowhere. He seemed to pick us out, probably due to the out of state plates. So it was obviously a nothing event, but he felt the need to harp on 'just why we were speeding', wutz the rush...blah blah blah...seeming to want a serious answer, beyond yes sir/no sir.

Seconded. I've been stopped once by a cop for a burned out brake light. I think it's a good thing. I treated her with respect and she simply asked if I had the capability to fix it on scene. When I told her I didn't she simply told me to get it fixed. I didn't even get a warning. I have zero problems with what she did.

Seconded. I've been stopped once by a cop for a burned out brake light. I think it's a good thing. I treated her with respect and she simply asked if I had the capability to fix it on scene. When I told her I didn't she simply told me to get it fixed. I didn't even get a warning. I have zero problems with what she did.

Absolutely. I got pulled over for a trivial defect, and it was perfectly fine - indeed, it was good to be informed before the defect could cause a safety hazard.

There's no reason to stop the police from making such stops. As long as the motorists do as I did, and are polite, respectful, white, middle aged, and male, they have absolutely no reason to be concerned. And I too have little time for anyone rude enough to ignore those basic principles of civility.

Oh, wait.

I disagree that the police should be obliged to waste their time and our tax money going around politely telling people that their taillights are out (even without physical abuse or unwarranted search and seizure), even if that were really what this were all about (which it obviously is not). That's the motorists' responsibility, anyway, and the police should only create a hazardous situation like a roadside traffic stop if they are preventing an equally immediate harm.

I disagree that the police should be obliged to waste their time and our tax money going around politely telling people that their taillights are out (even without physical abuse or unwarranted search and seizure), even if that were really what this were all about (which it obviously is not). That's the motorists' responsibility, anyway, and the police should only create a hazardous situation like a roadside traffic stop if they are preventing an equally immediate harm.

I think a better idea is to just note the plate and infraction in the system and give said drivers a few days to correct the issue. Then when they don't and an officer runs the plate in the system to see a note on the account about the taillight issue and it's still there after several days then pull the fucker over.

Absolutely. I got pulled over for a trivial defect, and it was perfectly fine - indeed, it was good to be informed before the defect could cause a safety hazard.

There's no reason to stop the police from making such stops. As long as the motorists do as I did, and are polite, respectful, white, middle aged, and male, they have absolutely no reason to be concerned. And I too have little time for anyone rude enough to ignore those basic principles of civility.

Oh, wait.

lol. You cracking me up man. Love it. hahaha. It would also be helpful if cops stop fantasizing about weed and focus on the traffic stop.

I think a better idea is to just note the plate and infraction in the system and give said drivers a few days to correct the issue. Then when they don't and an officer runs the plate in the system to see a note on the account about the taillight issue and it's still there after several days then pull the fucker over.

I can't think of any modern cars that don't have canbus systems that inform the driver when important indicator lights are out. My 99 has it. So I think Gospel's idea/approach is quite a good one.

So you go and, what, hunt them down to pull them over days later? Just send them a letter or phone call, hand the whole thing over to the DMV. The traffic stop is an old-fashioned and dangerous method of dispensing "justice", and the fact that it is customarily used as a decoy to excuse further violations of citizen rights makes it a liablity as well. You know we pay the bill when someone is imprisoned, right? Or sues the police station? Or riots?

So you go and, what, hunt them down to pull them over days later? Just send them a letter or phone call, hand the whole thing over to the DMV. The traffic stop is an old-fashioned and dangerous method of dispensing "justice", and the fact that it is customarily used as a decoy to excuse further violations of citizen rights makes it a liablity as well. You know we pay the bill when someone is imprisoned, right? Or sues the police station? Or riots?
When I lived in the Detroit Metropolitan area, I was stopped by a police officer for a broken taillight. I received a ticket that would be revoked if I repaired the taillight and had it inspected at any police station within 60 days. Of course, I had an advantage, I was a middle-aged white guy.

NO you don't hunt them down. Gosh, why is it these days everyone thinks the worst and stops there? How's about the next time they just so happen by that car and check the system they can see the date the violation was reported. And if an ample amount of time has gone by for the violator to discover and address the issue then the cops pulls them over & hands them a ticket. This both reduces the amount of silly traffic stops & makes a stop more efficient since there is no reason to turn it into a warning stop.

For me, when a cop tracks behind me on the road & they don't stop me (hasn't happened yet) when I get to my destination I walk around my car wondering WTF they think they saw. And this is despite the fact I walk around my vehicle before I leave every single time for that reason. I work in an area where crime is an issue (so I get it) and they act like the fucking power rangers over here.

I can't think of any modern cars that don't have canbus systems that inform the driver when important indicator lights are out. My 99 has it. So I think Gospel's idea/approach is quite a good one.

So you admit to having canbus in your vehicle?

Keep your hands where I can see them, and step out of the car.

My 2000 Saturn didn't tell me about the brake light being out. I've never had a light out on a more recent car to see what it said.

So you admit to having canbus in your vehicle?

Keep your hands where I can see them, and step out of the car.

Nope, it's legal here in the great state of Michijuana.

My 2000 Saturn didn't tell me about the brake light being out. I've never had a light out on a more recent car to see what it said.

Admittedly, my car was pretty advanced compared to many other cars of that age, top of the line Infiniti. Comparable to a BMW M5.

Back
Top Bottom