• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post Your Own Wildlife Photography

Do you have a problem with fish or what? Just about everything you posted picks on the poor fish! :)

I'm pretty sure that this skunk was looking for a way into the cat fence to find a next for the winter. Perhaps people recall my skunk issues under the deck in prior years and the day that Walle the cat came in at 4pm and jumped on my bed dripping skunk spray.

Fortunately blocking ground level gaps in the fence for the kitten also blocks skunks getting in.

This skunk crossed my front year in the full sunshine at 3:30pm today, checked out around the cat fence and moved on.

Note> Skunks stink even when they haven't sprayed because this one stunk.

IMG_8154.JPG

hummingbird3.jpghummingbird7.jpghummingbird8.jpghummingbird10.jpg
Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds

One male and one female. The male has the thick pattern of dots on his throat, which are a bright ruby red in light.

I thought if I put sunflower seeds on this same balcony rail, I'd also see the Black Cap Chickadees up close too. Nope, the chickadees turned chicken! I was sitting about 5 feet from this feeder and one of the hummingbirds came in and hovered a foot from my face for a few seconds. These are brave and curious birds.
They're on their flight south now.

Female Ruby throated humming bird I believe? We have them though I think that they are on their way south by now.

The feeder is the best way to get a photo.

They can fly a whole long way non-stop. 500 miles non-stop across the Gulf of Mexico

Female Ruby throated humming bird I believe? We have them though I think that they are on their way south by now.

The feeder is the best way to get a photo.

They can fly a whole long way non-stop. 500 miles non-stop across the Gulf of Mexico
The one in flight is a male. This spring I'll try to get pictures of them in the light, to see the pattern of dots on a male's throat light up. It's like a car's tail-light, how bright it is.

It's one whole day of flying across the gulf. That's a very long haul for a bird that normally needs to eat half his body weight each day. These guys were visibly fatter and coming to the feeders more often in September, getting ready for their long journey. All the details about these birds are astonishing. See the documentary "Hummingbirds" by D. Attenborough if you haven't, it's great.

Peregrine Falcons at 367 Collins St Melbourne - live feed. Looking to the south

The river in the lower left corner is the Yarra river. And yes that is its usual colour.

Earlier today I saw that those itty-bitty nearly microscopic ants had found the cat food dish on the basement floor. I threw most of the food into the woods but some had stayed on and I left it outside the basement door while getting rid of the ants inside and forgot about it.

A little bit ago I heard a noise outside so I grabbed my flashlight and my phone.

An Opossum had found it. I took these photos through the glass basement door. I guess I need to be more careful if it happens again. Don't want to be feeding the wildlife. At least it wasn't a skunk.

That dish has a diameter of 8 and a quarter inches.

20221006_212036.jpg20221006_212045.jpg20221006_212058.jpg

Earlier today I saw that those itty-bitty nearly microscopic ants had found the cat food dish on the basement floor. I threw most of the food into the woods but some had stayed on and I left it outside the basement door while getting rid of the ants inside and forgot about it.

A little bit ago I heard a noise outside so I grabbed my flashlight and my phone.

An Opossum had found it. I took these photos through the glass basement door. I guess I need to be more careful if it happens again. Don't want to be feeding the wildlife. At least it wasn't a skunk.

That dish has a diameter of 8 and a quarter inches.

View attachment 40605View attachment 40606View attachment 40607
Be happy you have opossums. They eat ticks like nobody's business, and are immune to carrying or catching rabies. They are generally pretty chill, and will leave humans alone. Of all the wildlife in that size class you could have around a property, opossums are one of the best AFAIK.

Be happy you have opossums. They eat ticks like nobody's business, and are immune to carrying or catching rabies. They are generally pretty chill, and will leave humans alone. Of all the wildlife in that size class you could have around a property, opossums are one of the best AFAIK.

Yup I agree. I just don't want them to get used to me accidentally feeding.

Juvenile bluetongue lizard in my garden. They keep the snail population in check.

A bearded dragon giving me the evil eye.

Bearded-dragon-1797.jpg

View attachment 40647
There are a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets enjoying our mulberry tree, which is currently producing an insane amount of fruit.

For birds with bright colours, they're surprisingly well camouflaged.
Their bodies have leaf shaped greens and berry shaped oranges. They're gonna be hard to spot.

Back
Top Bottom