• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post Your Own Wildlife Photography

In case anyone is curious where that hawk above was, I've attached a photo that provides perspective from where I was standing. It's about what a naked eye view would be. In the center of the photo is a dead tree with branches making a V. Inside the V is a red circle showing another V on a tree further away. The bird was on the V inside the V. in the red circle. It's very hard to see that V without opening the photo and zooming and even then it's very light.

IMG_0340.JPG

The baby house sparrows in my garage appear to have fledged. They were there yestrday and gone today. Two days ago the parents has cleared a space for the kids to more easily fly out. Now the parents have cleaned out the hole of dirty crap and left it on the ground and it looks like they are now relining the hole for the next batch. I guess they don't mind my coming by several times a day to open the garage.

The baby house sparrows in my garage appear to have fledged. They were there yestrday and gone today. Two days ago the parents has cleared a space for the kids to more easily fly out. Now the parents have cleaned out the hole of dirty crap and left it on the ground and it looks like they are now relining the hole for the next batch. I guess they don't mind my coming by several times a day to open the garage.

Are you sure that they are house sparrows, and not garage sparrows? ;)

new 7.jpg

Prominent moth caterpillar on my hand.

chew 3.jpg

Bush katydid nymph.

few 7.jpg

Hummingbird moth.

Rob

Attachments

• mew 13.jpg
    mew 13.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 2
The old wildlife topic got bumped and i accidentally posted in it yesterday.

We are in Maine this week. Will get the photos posted later but so far nice photos of a loon. Also at low tide this evening (sunday)we went down and found, got photos of, star fish, sea urchins, big hemit crags, eels and others strange critters and a hard shell clam, chohog, that was so huge it could be a whole meal.. we put them all back.

Today (monday) we went to the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park. It the point i saw a ruckus of gulls and cormorants several hundred yards off the point. I pointed my camera and zoomed. There were three animals with fluke fins breaking the surface. I assume common dolphins. I have no idea why common dolphins would attract a croud of cormorants and gull unless they were all attracted to a school of fish. Photos in a few days.

Later after dinner we went to the shore again at low tide. The kids got a live sand dollar, jonah crab, sea cucumber, many huge fiddler crabs, green sea urchin and a live lobster by net wading in the water.

Again, photos to follow in a few days. I am posting from my Tablet using my phone's hotspot.

"How much wood would a wood chuch chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?"

Ground hog/ wood chuck, whissle pigs, are a rare photo! At least for me.

The old wildlife topic got bumped and i accidentally posted in it yesterday.

I bumped it because I didn't know about this thread. Reposting those posts here:

Common Hawker (Aeshna juncea)

View attachment 17007

Fun fact:

Female common hawkers will sometimes dive out of the sky and fake their death in order to avoid copulating with males

I'm pretty sure this is an Eye-Spotted Lady Beetle larva (Anatis mali) on my mailbox.

View attachment 17008

"How much wood would a wood chuch chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?"

Ground hog/ wood chuck, whissle pigs, are a rare photo! At least for me.

I see them regularly, but it is an uncommon experience to get a picture of them, I agree.

Rob

One of my dearest friends from college is now a retired journalist. He has been birding for just five years, but I find some of his photos truly amazing. Many of us have been pestering him to publish them, and he finally has put up a web site. Some of these pictures are quite stunning. If you visit the web page, it is a slide show. Just wait a few moments, and it will start. Enjoy.

Wings and Wonder

We got home from Maine today. I think that this will be 5 pages.

A Common Loon in Frenchman Bay
2018 08 11 15 40 47.JPG

Some eel kind of thing in a tide pool. It's about 5 inches long. There is a smaller one to the right. Also a green crab.
2018 08 12 18 19 08.JPG

Very small Star Fish
2018 08 12 18 19 25.JPG

Very small green sea urchin
2018 08 12 18 20 09.JPG

A normal size green sea urchin
2018 08 12 18 31 20.JPG

Page 1/5

Some small spiny fish in a tide pool. It's about 3 inches long
2018 08 12 18 45 08.JPG

A huge quahog or hard shell clam. It was a few feet below low tide.
2018 08 12 18 55 27.jpg

Common Eider
2018 08 13 14 18 55.JPG

From Schoodic Point looking out to the ocean a ruckus of gulls and cormorants and in the upper left there is a common dolphin breaking the surface
2018 08 13 14 26 34.JPG

A closer shot of a dolphin. As I mentioned a few days ago, I can only guess there is a school of some food swimming below to attract all these critters.
2018 08 13 14 27 57.JPG

Page 2/5

A pile of cormorants on an island at a tidal falls
2018 08 13 15 26 11.JPG

Same island, some common eiders in an eddy
2018 08 13 15 30 24.JPG

An Osprey headed somewhere
2018 08 13 18 31 15.JPG

A live sand dollar urchin. Low Low tide again and the kids went looking for critters
2018 08 13 18 42 01.JPG

A bucket with some of the first finds. The sand dollar is in there and the other blob is a sea cucumber. There are also small and very large hermit crags.
2018 08 13 18 44 13.JPG

Page 3/5

A Lion's Mane jellyfish floating to shore. Probably dead.
2018 08 13 18 49 22.JPG

The bucket. Many more hermit crabs have been added. Also a Jonah crab and a green sea urchin.
2018 08 13 19 27 36.JPG

A better look at the sea cucumber
2018 08 13 19 28 49.JPG

The last thing the kids got at low tide that evening was a live lobster. They herded it to shore and then grabbed it. All of the critters in the bucket were set free.
2018 08 13 19 36 28.JPG

Next evening a mackerel that they got while fishing off the docks.
2018 08 15 16 53 01.JPG

page 4/5

Last page

A red squirrel on the rocks
2018 08 16 16 40 02.JPG

A juvenile bald eagle
2018 08 16 16 45 42.JPG

A snapping turtle on a rock
2018 08 17 13 14 54.JPG

Page 5/5.

We are home for the work week and going back up to Maine Friday through Labor Day.

This morning when I stepped out in the driveway a ruby throated humming bird was at the flowers. These are not the sharpest photos because I was at maximum zoom and it was quite cloudy out.

IMG_0867.JPGIMG_0869.JPGIMG_0870.JPG

Back
Top Bottom