• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post Your Own Wildlife Photography

Found this guy walking across the road:

Tarantula.jpg

(While it technically is a road I was hiking on it as I don't have a car suitable to drive down it to the actual trail I was after.)

Vegas, beware, it's coming!!

The raccoon has been back. I don't know why it likes my front lawn so much. It's a front lawn like any other front lawn. While at the edge of the lawn up by the road there are acorns and chestnuts on the ground it's not spending time there. I don't think I have more bugs/worms in my lawn than any other average lawn. There are no berries where it is. There are lots of berries on the other side of the house. So it's a puzzle. He's not interested in the trash bin.

But anyway, I got a much better photo last night. He was very very shy of me but didn't run like hell away but did keep trying to get away from me while still very interested in staying on the law. Here it is by a cedar tree. It's well after dark. Between my high intensity flashlight and the flash on the camera this came out pretty well.

2020 11 22 22 23 03.JPG

Well the young skunks are using the entire wood piles to stay during the day. One was out in the cat fence tonight and when I shined a flashlight at it it just went under the wood pile. I have not seen any adults.

I think tomorrow or the next day i need to try something new. A radio on all night and I need to get some ammonia and a sprayer to spray as much under and on top of the wood pile as possible. The wood is just too much to move and not with skunks under it!

I'm still keeping the cats in at night and blocking the cat flap.

I guess I need to go to the hardware store for a new sprayer and ammonia.

How's your skunk problem?

We discourage determined wombats with 500g of ground black pepper. Might help.

Well the young skunks are using the entire wood piles to stay during the day. One was out in the cat fence tonight and when I shined a flashlight at it it just went under the wood pile. I have not seen any adults.

I think tomorrow or the next day i need to try something new. A radio on all night and I need to get some ammonia and a sprayer to spray as much under and on top of the wood pile as possible. The wood is just too much to move and not with skunks under it!

I'm still keeping the cats in at night and blocking the cat flap.

I guess I need to go to the hardware store for a new sprayer and ammonia.

How's your skunk problem?

We discourage determined wombats with 500g of ground black pepper. Might help.

Ah yes. When we went to Maine in August i set a radio out there on top of the wood pile and put it just not tuned right to a punk rock station. It sounded terrible. I set up a floodlight and dumped 5 half gallon bottles of ammonia through the wood pike onto the dirt. They appear to have moved out.

Found this guy walking across the road:

View attachment 30421

(While it technically is a road I was hiking on it as I don't have a car suitable to drive down it to the actual trail I was after.)

Vegas, beware, it's coming!!

How big is it?

I'd say the body was about 1" across.

You haven't seen a mad scientist with a striking resemblance to Leo G Carroll hanging around out there, have you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula!

I'd say the body was about 1" across.

You haven't seen a mad scientist with a striking resemblance to Leo G Carroll hanging around out there, have you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula!

I didn't see much of anyone out there. Given all the idiots we have around here I have deliberately been hiking trails that don't see much use to minimize the amount of time I need to hike with a mask on.

It was heading straight for the city when I saw it.

Found a flock of Vice Presidents in the front yard:

VicePresidents.jpg

Unfortunately, they promptly departed and this was the best shot I was able to get--if I had gone in for a real camera I would have gotten nothing at all. This is maybe 1/3 of the whole group.

Isn't it Cute???

cheeky-2877762_960_720.jpg

Attachments

• cheeky-squirrel_.jpg
    cheeky-squirrel_.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
Speaking of squirrels, three of the little buggers have been chasing each other like mad through our front and back yards, along the roof, through the trees, etc. Is it mating season? Is this a menage a trois?

Here's one of them in one of the rare moments it stopped to rest (outside my office window).

squirrel.png

Took my mom for drive around Antelope Island on sunday. Lots of bison about, and one porcupine. :)

Didn't see any antelope this time out. Not sure what part of the island they hang around in the winter.
Porupine-01.jpg
bison.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Witch Hazel is blooming in CT.
Witch Hazel, Red 2.jpgWitch Hazel, Yellow 1.jpgWitch Hazel, Red 1.jpg

No photos but for about the last years I've marked the first day to hear spring peepers in this thread and the old one at Secular web.

Taken in haste with a cell phone from the inside of my car: a silver fox at midnight 2 nights ago.

036.JPG

035.JPG

20210706_123616.jpg

This cute little thief showed up while I was eating. I'm not sure if his plan was to gnaw through my pack or climb up it and dash inside but I have little doubt that he associated backpacks with food and understood the low threat level posed by humans--this photo is at about 2.5' from my phone, maybe 4' from my body. My pack is against the log just below the frame. I didn't give him a chance to demonstrate what his plan was just in case it was gnaw. (There was a spot he could hide behind my pack out of my field of view. I ran him off each time he went there.)

Raintree, Mt. Charleston, 7/6/21.

The other morning a red tail decided our deck rail was a place to hang out. Much nicer view (for us), than its usual perches in the tops of big fir trees...but after a few pics it decided it had enough of our peering about.

20210703_080236.jpg20210703_080232.jpg

I don't know about bears, but deer definitely do shit in the woods:
P1000043.JPG

Mt. Charleston, South Loop Trail, close to 10,000' up.

Back
Top Bottom