• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Price Waterhouse analyst murdered in his home by police

Can we have just one thread about a killing not end up being about a hook up for a threesome?! :mad:

Can we have just one thread about a killing not end up being about a hook up for a threesome?! :mad:

drake1-2x.jpg

To be fair, Loren is describing what was going through the cop's mind.

Which is how a self defense case must be evaluated. Nothing not known to the shooter at the time matters. The standard is whether a reasonable person facing the same situation would consider it a threat to their life or of serious bodily harm.
A couple things to consider: 1) would the same benefit of the doubt be given to this man if he had accidentally wandered into her apartment and shot her?

2) It's awfully convenient that there's no 'other side' to this story because, and this part's important, he's fucking dead. Manslaughter is the least she should get.

Police seem to be considering her account as fact as opposed to just claims. For example, her whole claim that he moved toward her seems contrived.

I can't accept that she thought she saw an intruder in her apartment. Yes, we all know she didn't see an intruder, she was the intruder, but I'm discussing the public reason she gave.

I've lived in apartments before. When visiting the neighbor, I noticed "our couch is different, our tv is different, and we've arranged our furniture differently. I didn't think of hanging a picture there, maybe I should try it."

If I were to accidentally walk into the wrong apartment, I'd notice that it looks different. Even though the architecture is the exact same, the interior decoration is different. This "intruder" must have spent many hours redecorating before she got "home".

Why do we conclude she was clearly overreacting?

She faced an intruder who almost certainly wasn't complying with her instructions. Had it been her place people wouldn't be upset if she pulled the trigger--where's the overreaction?

This is a horrible "Oh, shit!" moment that a bunch of race agitators want to pretend was racial in nature.

"complying with her instructions"????

An OFF DUTY police officer who has NO business being where she was, whereas dude WAS where he belonged and completely innocent.

No, this is not *yet* a fucking authoritarian country.

She was 100% wrong. Just admit it.

A good guy with a gun is a threat to no one except bad people... except if that good person is an idiot... then you could be fucked.

Yes, well Dana Loesch says it would have been better if Botham Shem Jean had been armed and killed the police officer.

Police seem to be considering her account as fact as opposed to just claims. For example, her whole claim that he moved toward her seems contrived.

Her entire affidavit seems contrived.

Yeah, there are a bunch of other things here...

Yes.

Her key was found in the door lock. However, her affidavit says that she found the door already ajar. If the door was already ajar, why did she need to put the key into the lock?

All of the doors there close automatically. Unless he stopped the door with something to keep it from closing it would have been closed. And I find it highly unlikely that he had his door stopped open to keep it ajar. Why? It was ten o'clock at night. It didn't appear he was expecting anyone. And even if he was expecting guests they can always knock. And if he purposely had the door ajar why would the lights be off? It makes no sense.

In her affidavit she said that after she entered the apartment she fired after giving "verbal commands that were ignored." Yet two witnesses say they heard pounding at the door and a female voice shouting "Let me in!" Once again, why would anyone do that if the door was already ajar? A few seconds later they heard gunshots. Yet the witnesses never said that between the pounding on the door and the gunshots that they heard verbal commands. And, unlike the female officer, the witnesses have no reason to lie.

She didn't turn the lights on until after the shooting. Why would you fire into a completely dark apartment? Especially since she knew where the light switch would be.

The entire affidavit seems completely concocted to fit a narrative that best fits her agenda. As the Church Lady would say, "How convenient!"

How is being a Price Waterhouse employee relevant?
It means he is a white black guy.

The US is utterly pathetic with race, that in order to let the reader know that the black guy was a "good" black guy, they need to indicate he had a job with a nice white folk company... therefore the reader knows there was no chance he was burgling.

Doesn't matter. Certain people will still find ways of blaming him for his own death, and belittling everything about him and his family because he's black.

OH LOOK! Loren and Derec are both already doing that!

“The only connection we have been able to make is that she was his immediate downstairs neighbor,” Meritt said during an appearance on CNN, Tuesday. “And there were noise complaints from the immediate downstairs neighbors about whoever was upstairs, and that would have been Botham. In fact, there were noise complaints that very day about upstairs activity in Botham’s apartment. Botham received a phone call about noise coming from his apartment from the downstairs neighbor.”

"...I do know that certain statements within this affidavit are demonstratively false. For example, that door being ajar, those doors close automatically. Unless Botham propped it open because he was expecting a guest or something—and I’m making up excuses, it wouldn’t have been open. What the family knows, what all the friends know, what everyone I’ve talked to about Botham knows is that he wouldn’t have propped that door open.”

Merritt also noted that the two witnesses who claimed to have heard knocks on Botham’s door and a female voice shouting, “Open up. Let me in,” before shots were fired are female roommates and neighbors of Botham.

Both roommates were home at the time, but one roommate was closer to the incident and told Merritt “the voice didn’t sound like an officer command; it sounded like someone who wanted to be let into the apartment,” the attorney said.
http://www.theroot.com/botham-jean-attorney-nothing-in-amber-guygers-story-ma-1828998513/amp

Accepting such things as true, which I don't necessarily, an alternative narrative to Guyger's is that she was a feuding neighbor with him over noise. That she just got back from a long shift, tried to sleep, but was all anxious from her tough job. The little noises made her extra irritable. So she decided to go upstairs to intimidate the allegedly noisy neighbor into shutting up. He let her in which I think the original police report said, too. [Texas Ranger affidavit is different than story she said initially]. She then escalated a situation where she mistook his movements for an attack...following her saying "why did you have to do that." Maybe???

So, the family has already hired both Benjamin Crump and Lee Merritt(less). That means they already see dollar signs and are planning to sue the city for many millions. No way either of these two greedy hearse chasers would be anywhere near this without a prospect of millions in contingency fees.

But she was off duty. Shouldn't that mean that the city can't be held liable? I do not think you should be able to sue an employer for what their employees do in their spare time.

She seems to have been off duty, yes. BUT: The excuse/mitigating factor being presented here is that she had just finished a full shift on duty. Also, she seems to have still been armed with her service weapon. I assume but do not know if she was in uniform still.

I don't understand why it isn't/wouldn't be police department policy for officers to not wear their uniform or firearms when not officially on police business. Including travel to and from work. It certainly should be. Police officers should be required to secure their service weapons immediately upon going off duty.

That is one serious issue.

The other is that they seem to be offering up that her long shift made her more prone to react the way she did. Holy Shit. They need to reevaluate how they assign work shifts, shift length, and who they hire and train and how they train them. Police officers should not be general threats to citizenry.

Being tired is an explanation of how she could have overlooked being on the wrong floor, it shouldn't get her off. It might be a reason to change police policies, though, and thus certainly should be looked at. We've recognized that truckers driving too long is a safety hazard, it's about time we recognize that other professions where people are making life and death decisions should limit work hours.

And there's a reason for take-home cars and uniforms:

1) There's a public safety benefit. The presence of a cop is a crime deterrent, the bad guy doesn't know if they're on duty or not. (My wife once worked at a place that explicitly stated on the menu that cops in uniform got free drinks. (They didn't serve alcohol, that wasn't an issue.) They decided getting cops to stop in for a drink was worth giving them away.)

2) By having them take home it makes it easier when the shit hits the fan and you need everyone on duty.

Noise complaint, ouch.

cheap apartment building owner making paper thin walls and floors, loud neighbor and cop trying to use her badge (not coming in civilian clothing and being polite) as leverage for a personal benefit. All three may have been assholes if true.

So, the family has already hired both Benjamin Crump and Lee Merritt(less). That means they already see dollar signs and are planning to sue the city for many millions. No way either of these two greedy hearse chasers would be anywhere near this without a prospect of millions in contingency fees.

But she was off duty. Shouldn't that mean that the city can't be held liable? I do not think you should be able to sue an employer for what their employees do in their spare time.

She seems to have been off duty, yes. BUT: The excuse/mitigating factor being presented here is that she had just finished a full shift on duty. Also, she seems to have still been armed with her service weapon. I assume but do not know if she was in uniform still.

I don't understand why it isn't/wouldn't be police department policy for officers to not wear their uniform or firearms when not officially on police business. Including travel to and from work. It certainly should be. Police officers should be required to secure their service weapons immediately upon going off duty.

That is one serious issue.

The other is that they seem to be offering up that her long shift made her more prone to react the way she did. Holy Shit. They need to reevaluate how they assign work shifts, shift length, and who they hire and train and how they train them. Police officers should not be general threats to citizenry.

Being tired is an explanation of how she could have overlooked being on the wrong floor, it shouldn't get her off. It might be a reason to change police policies, though, and thus certainly should be looked at. We've recognized that truckers driving too long is a safety hazard, it's about time we recognize that other professions where people are making life and death decisions should limit work hours.

And there's a reason for take-home cars and uniforms:

1) There's a public safety benefit. The presence of a cop is a crime deterrent, the bad guy doesn't know if they're on duty or not. (My wife once worked at a place that explicitly stated on the menu that cops in uniform got free drinks. (They didn't serve alcohol, that wasn't an issue.) They decided getting cops to stop in for a drink was worth giving them away.)

2) By having them take home it makes it easier when the shit hits the fan and you need everyone on duty.

Yeah, I worked in a place where cops got free cans of coffee to take to the station house to make coffee. And also were always present in the parking lot when I closed the place up at night. I wasn't ungrateful by any means.

I understand that shit hits the fan but I don't understand cops carrying loaded service firearms to and from their residence to work. It isn't safe. Period.

Do I know it happens? Yes. Do I know of cases in my own town where someone died because of this? Yes, I do. It's dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom