• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Price Waterhouse analyst murdered in his home by police

It seems to me that there are a lot of people here who are extremely angry about people bringing up the race angle to this shooting. However, being angry that an innocent person was unnecessarily shot to death by a person, off-duty cop or otherwise, who to all appearances was clearly overreacting? Not so much.

Why do we conclude she was clearly overreacting?

She faced an intruder who almost certainly wasn't complying with her instructions. Had it been her place people wouldn't be upset if she pulled the trigger--where's the overreaction?

This is a horrible "Oh, shit!" moment that a bunch of race agitators want to pretend was racial in nature.

She did NOT face an intruder. HE faced an intruder.
Holy shit what a sick world you live in.

How do you like the photos of your “no reason to think she’s racist” lady friend, Loren?

Let’s see your next twisted assurance that she was only doing something reasonable that could not _possibly_ have escalated because of her feelings about the race of the victim.*

*For those lacking a soul, I’ll explicitly clarify that the victim is the black man here. You have a hard time discerning that.

It seems to me that there are a lot of people here who are extremely angry about people bringing up the race angle to this shooting. However, being angry that an innocent person was unnecessarily shot to death by a person, off-duty cop or otherwise, who to all appearances was clearly overreacting? Not so much.

She faced an intruder who almost certainly wasn't complying with her instructions. Had it been her place people wouldn't be upset if she pulled the trigger--where's the overreaction?

This is a horrible "Oh, shit!" moment that a bunch of race agitators want to pretend was racial in nature.

How do you like the photos of your “no reason to think she’s racist” lady friend, Loren?

Let’s see your next twisted assurance that she was only doing something reasonable that could not _possibly_ have escalated because of her feelings about the race of the victim.*

*For those lacking a soul, I’ll explicitly clarify that the victim is the black man here. You have a hard time discerning that.

To be fair, Loren is describing what was going through the cop's mind.

Where he comes up with the rest of his crap is up for grabs.

Where he comes up with the rest of his crap is up for grabs.

Yes.

With the exception of "faced an intruder," which is alleged to be from her perspective, everything else is an assumption or wrong.

She only “allegedly face and intruder” because she was already wrong.

Kinda like Zimerman.

“She faced an intruder”

Others have noted this is simlpy wrong.

And thats exactly my point. Why we do this, search to find a viable reason to excuse an obviously senseless shooting, escapes me

Until people stop rejecting even the premise of viewing things this way, many more are guranteed to follow

But guns are my right. And I have the right to “protect” myself.

Sorry for being the Debbie Downer who ponders how the hell this countey ever came to think like this.

A good guy with a gun is a threat to no one except bad people... except if that good person is an idiot... then you could be fucked.

Even non-idiot good people can be threats to the people around them if they have weapons.

Ever made a mistake? It happened to me... but I wasn't packing heat.

Let me get this straight. Person walks into the wrong apartment, sees someone in the apartment, pulls out a weapon and kills that person, and there are people defending that killer's actions? The race of the shooter and the race of the victim are a minor consideration in the overall picture that the shooter is killer. The fact the shooter is a police officer makes the entire situation even scarier because the police are supposed to be educated and trained to assess the situation when they are not in clear and immediate danger. And there is no rational argument that this shooter was in clear and immediate danger.

Really - WTF!!!

Seriously, is there anything that a cop cannot do that you can't defend?

Seriously, is there anything that a cop cannot do that you can't defend?

Well, he's Jewish, and Jews have such a great history with racist cops abusing their authority, so it's important for him to defend that kind of action by cops whenever he can.

LP is defending an illegal intruder who gunned down the unarmed, peaceful and rightful occupant of the domicile. Wow.

This killer is unfit for police duty. She ought to already have been charged with murder. And if the roles had been reversed, you know the usual suspects would be braying for the blood of the black "thug".

Once she already screwed up (because of exhaustion, alcohol, who knows) by parking on the wrong floor and opening the wrong apartment door what happened then?

She was both in error up to the point in opening the wrong door and with what happened after. But can we make a clear, clean break between these two points in time?

-------------------------------------------------

I came up with a scenario that would shift some of the blame for an incident like this, just as a thought experiment.

Keep everything the same with the rightful tenant of course.

The person mistakenly entering is a housecleaner or a petsitter given the same kind of key by her agency that the cops was using. She has the wrong apartment as well because of a typo. But now you also have this housecleaner/pet sitter with a gun that is as ready as the cop's was.

That is a big stretch. Who has a gun that ready? Even one second longer in getting the gun out could have made the difference in not shooting.

Yes. Fair enough.

Even his saying that the guy didn't obey instructions could be true, but since we don't know, it might not warrant his 'almost certainty'. That said, I have now read one report which said she had claimed to have issued instructions (and another in which that wasn't claimed). We don't have facts yet.

Would someone, hypothetically, have been overreacting if they had entered their own apartment and found an intruder? That's debatable and partly depends I suppose on the laws in force regarding such things.

I don't think he's defending the cop. And he's objecting to the case automatically being to do with racism, but then so am I (pending further facts emerging).

We might, I suppose, say that Loren has forsaken commenting on the real situation, where an apparently innocent man died because a cop (apparently) bungled disastrously, and not made a statement to condemn the cop, in favour of a hypothetical, but that's not defending the cop. At worst it could be said to be avoiding explicitly condemning the cop. But maybe he will say something about that to clear up any ambiguity.

Last edited:
dismal, it's about race because many white Americans and many cop Americans see black and think "Danger! Thug!" with lethal consequences. They need to stop thinking that way, because too many innocent people are dying from it.

It is a blatant form of identity politics. We need to clamp down on identity politics rather than encourage more of it, or we'll be seeing more, not less of this.

Even if she had encountered this man in her own apartment, shooting him should not have been her first reaction. And her being a cop is irrelevant. She wasn't on the job. Why should he follow her orders?

Race seems an odd thing to bring up in all of this. Why are people so sure she wouldn't have shot the guy had he been white? She is clearly unstable. She should not be allowed to hold a gun ever again.

How is being a Price Waterhouse employee relevant?

So, the family has already hired both Benjamin Crump and Lee Merritt(less). That means they already see dollar signs and are planning to sue the city for many millions. No way either of these two greedy hearse chasers would be anywhere near this without a prospect of millions in contingency fees.

But she was off duty. Shouldn't that mean that the city can't be held liable? I do not think you should be able to sue an employer for what their employees do in their spare time.

How is being a Price Waterhouse employee relevant?
It means he is a white black guy.

The US is utterly pathetic with race, that in order to let the reader know that the black guy was a "good" black guy, they need to indicate he had a job with a nice white folk company... therefore the reader knows there was no chance he was burgling.

Even if she had encountered this man in her own apartment, shooting him should not have been her first reaction. And her being a cop is irrelevant. She wasn't on the job. Why should he follow her orders?

Race seems an odd thing to bring up in all of this. Why are people so sure she wouldn't have shot the guy had he been white? She is clearly unstable. She should not be allowed to hold a gun ever again.
Race isn't irrelevant here, because we fall back onto the subconscious intuition some people have on race. Wasn't it Toni that mentioned the issue of White people are less likely to be considered to be in the wrong place or a danger?

The claim is, she shot because he was black... not because she wanted to kill a black guy, but because she interpreted a black person's presence as a danger, relative to if it were a white person. Is this crazy?

If she saw a small child, would she have fired the gun? Likely no. Likely she will start wondering why there is a small child in her apartment. The brain is jumping to all sorts of conclusions based on very minimal data. Size, age, color, gender.

So, the family has already hired both Benjamin Crump and Lee Merritt(less). That means they already see dollar signs and are planning to sue the city for many millions. No way either of these two greedy hearse chasers would be anywhere near this without a prospect of millions in contingency fees.

But she was off duty. Shouldn't that mean that the city can't be held liable? I do not think you should be able to sue an employer for what their employees do in their spare time.

She seems to have been off duty, yes. BUT: The excuse/mitigating factor being presented here is that she had just finished a full shift on duty. Also, she seems to have still been armed with her service weapon. I assume but do not know if she was in uniform still.

I don't understand why it isn't/wouldn't be police department policy for officers to not wear their uniform or firearms when not officially on police business. Including travel to and from work. It certainly should be. Police officers should be required to secure their service weapons immediately upon going off duty.

That is one serious issue.

The other is that they seem to be offering up that her long shift made her more prone to react the way she did. Holy Shit. They need to reevaluate how they assign work shifts, shift length, and who they hire and train and how they train them. Police officers should not be general threats to citizenry.

Back
Top Bottom