• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Prices are so bad (except when they’re not)

I wonder why schools in California are required to have tampon dispensing machines in boys restrooms. Maybe the schools should stop obsessing over these things and mandate the students be capable of boiling an egg or something.
What's the problem with a tampon dispenser where a FTM person might be? Are you one of these people who won't have anything to do with period products?

Yes. We must protect children from the truth because promoting prejudice and ignorance is such a good thing. /s

Teaching children the LGBTQWERTY++ cult that men menstruate and get pregnant is a bit silly. Teaching children how to prepare a meal or mend a pair of socks may be of more use in the real world considering inflation rates these days.

Gala apples now $1.99 per pound. Used to ne $.99. Grapefruit juice used to be $2.86 now its $4.36.

Jeezus no wonder so many people home school or go private.
Gala apples are often $1.99/#. They're also often a lot less. IIRC the ones in the fridge right now were $.50/#.

Why? The students still get to choose what they want, and they generally choose chips etc, they just aren't the full blown fat laden ones. We do sell iceblocks, frozen yoghurts, and the latest favourite, frozen slices of pineapple. The kids think they are getting a treat, and they enjoy it. Would you rather we allow them to eat fat laden food every day and cause lifelong health problems?
Something that I noticed back in school. The food prep wasn't very good and the unhealthy stuff tended to be the stuff they couldn't mess up as badly. What I ate at school was far from what I would actually have preferred.

We have noticed some things have gone up in price. Our mortgage for one! 8 years ago the goal, was to keep groceries below $200 for the week. This includes food, pet needs and cleaning beds. Now, I try and keep it below $300. Cleaning and hygiene needs have increased substantially, especially since the shortage during the pandemic. What we do though, is buy nonperishables when they are on a very good special and store them. Our Harry Potter cupboard is stocked with TP, Paper towel tissues and toiletries. our laundry has multiple boxes of detergent and household cleaning products. And we have a substantial store of pet food. I DO keep a mental track and don’t buy more if I know we have loads, even if they are on special, but it’s a good system.
Yup. Watching the deals and stocking up can make a big difference. At one point we had a 10 year supply of TP due to a very good sale that stacked with a very good coupon--and buying it produced another such coupon. In a store we drove past twice a day. And we have nearly that much right now because of what I think was a price mistake. And that is only because I figured we couldn't store any more. We also have a many-year supply of paper towels. I don't know what happened but half the paper towel section got put on clearance. Once again, bought enough to fill where it's stored.

Careful with buying too many detergent pods. Once again, a clearance deal and by now I'm finding about a 5% breakage rate. The packaging isn't truly airtight, a tiny amount of water vapor gets in and slowly eats the pods.
We actually don’t buy pods. We only buy powder. :)

a very good sale that stacked with a very good coupon--and buying it produced another such coupon.
I don't think coupons have even been a thing here since the 1980s.

They went the way of the telegram, the airship, the personal check, the eight-track, and the telex machine decades ago.

We barely have cash anymore; I don't recall the last time I handled cash, other than on (or preparatory to) overseas trips.

a very good sale that stacked with a very good coupon--and buying it produced another such coupon.

They went the way of the telegram, the airship, the personal check, the eight-track, and the telex machine decades ago.

We barely have cash anymore; I don't recall the last time I handled cash, other than on (or preparatory to) overseas trips.
What are the card processing rates in Australia?

Here they average around 1.5%, but some are as high as 3.5%. Lots of places have extra charges for card use under a certain amount of the transaction, usually ten dollars. And it's not uncommon for gas stations to have right on their display signs their cash rate and their slightly higher card rate.

Here they average around 1.5%, but some are as high as 3.5%. Lots of places have extra charges for card use under a certain amount of the transaction, usually ten dollars. And it's not uncommon for gas stations to have right on their display signs their cash rate and their slightly higher card rate.
Actual card processing rates charged to the small merchant are higher (I was paying 2.9% plus 8 cents per transaction plus the fee for use of a card on a day ending in 'y' plus the fee for computing the fee for use of a card on day ending in 'y' plus...)

This is why I and many other small merchants charge a fee (in effect - the actual legalese that must be posted describes it otherwise, but that's what it amounts to) of something under 4% (mine is 3.75%). The middleman sets the rate so that they can expect to make a profit after paying the cards' actual fees.

Typically zero.

Some places charge up to 1.5%, but it's not common.

The ACCC has strict rules about this that apply to EFTPOS, Visa and Mastercard transactions; As a result, most retail businesses don't have surcharges at all, and treat transaction fees as they would any other overhead.

Typically zero.

Some places charge up to 1.5%, but it's not common.

The ACCC has strict rules about this that apply to EFTPOS, Visa and Mastercard transactions; As a result, most retail businesses don't have surcharges at all, and treat transaction fees as they would any other overhead.
At my last job we only charged for cash back. Some banks charge business for depositing cash!

Back
Top Bottom