• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Prices are so bad (except when they’re not)

I agree that we need to do more to help poor people obtain basic nutrition and it wouldn't be a bad idea to teach people, including school students how to cook inexpensive, nutritious meals, like for example black beans and rice, as well as buying produce that is in season etc.

Schools are busy teaching kids the important things in life. Things like men can give birth and critical race theory.
Here, we have systems in place. Tuckshops are only allowed to sell green or amber foods, ones that are good for you, and okay in moderation on a daily basis. Red foods are only allowed once a term, so we generally have class parties on the same day as PBL reward day and send the kids home high as kites on sugar.. :D Not really, our food rewards on PBL reward day are usually amber or green anyways, such as sausage sizzle, snow cones and popcorn.

We also have a unit every couple of years on good nutrition, increasing in complexity as they get older. In junior school we talk about why we have green, amber and red foods and how we identify them. In the year 3-4 area we keep a diary and discuss if they were good options and how we can improve on them, and create a weeks menu. In upper school they actually create recipes that are green/amber that they can try out. I remember actually having the students make a meal at school. A lot of kids chose sushi, which is loaded with calories due to the rice content!

I can't remember off the top of my head if they look at calorie content, but we do look at interpreting labels from year 3-4 upwards to decide if they are okay or not.

I agree that we need to do more to help poor people obtain basic nutrition and it wouldn't be a bad idea to teach people, including school students how to cook inexpensive, nutritious meals, like for example black beans and rice, as well as buying produce that is in season etc.

Schools are busy teaching kids the important things in life. Things like men can give birth and critical race theory.
I have two kids in school now, in California no less, and I can tell you that they are not being taught this.

If there even are any schools teaching this anywhere I am doubtful that they are “busy” doing so.
It's considered a low priority, to be sure, but it is important.

Here, we have systems in place. Tuckshops are only allowed to sell green or amber foods, ones that are good for you, and okay in moderation on a daily basis. Red foods are only allowed once a term, so we generally have class parties on the same day as PBL reward day and send the kids home high as kites on sugar.. :D Not really, our food rewards on PBL reward day are usually amber or green anyways, such as sausage sizzle, snow cones and popcorn.
I'm not sure what I think about that. I feel it's a bit controlling and overbearing.

We also have a unit every couple of years on good nutrition, increasing in complexity as they get older. In junior school we talk about why we have green, amber and red foods and how we identify them. In the year 3-4 area we keep a diary and discuss if they were good options and how we can improve on them, and create a weeks menu. In upper school they actually create recipes that are green/amber that they can try out. I remember actually having the students make a meal at school. A lot of kids chose sushi, which is loaded with calories due to the rice content!
That seems like a good approach. Hopefully vegetarian meals are in there also. There are bound to be a few kids that are vegetarian.

I can't remember off the top of my head if they look at calorie content, but we do look at interpreting labels from year 3-4 upwards to decide if they are okay or not.

I think examining labels is a good idea, not just for calories but the other additives such as salt, sugar, coloring etc.

I'm not sure what I think about that. I feel it's a bit controlling and overbearing.

Why? The students still get to choose what they want, and they generally choose chips etc, they just aren't the full blown fat laden ones. We do sell iceblocks, frozen yoghurts, and the latest favourite, frozen slices of pineapple. The kids think they are getting a treat, and they enjoy it. Would you rather we allow them to eat fat laden food every day and cause lifelong health problems?

FWIW, I remember being part of a pilot school to introduce the traffic light system for tuckshops, and there wasn't much change needed, we just don't serve hot chips so much, or it's within appropriate portions.

Our tuckshop has daily specials. These include chicken burgers, fried rice, lasagna etc. All at reasonable prices. Is the fact that students can choose their good is 'controlling and overbearing'?

Why? The students still get to choose what they want, and they generally choose chips etc, they just aren't the full blown fat laden ones. We do sell iceblocks, frozen yoghurts, and the latest favourite, frozen slices of pineapple. The kids think they are getting a treat, and they enjoy it.
I don't know the details of the set up, it's just a thought, relax.

Would you rather we allow them to eat fat laden food every day and cause lifelong health problems?
Why yes, of course I would. Because that's exactly what I said :rolleyes: In fact, I was also suggesting PE should be eliminated from schools or at least cut back on to speed up the road to obesity. I don't know how you missed that.

Why? The students still get to choose what they want, and they generally choose chips etc, they just aren't the full blown fat laden ones. We do sell iceblocks, frozen yoghurts, and the latest favourite, frozen slices of pineapple. The kids think they are getting a treat, and they enjoy it.
I don't know the details of the set up, it's just a thought, relax.

Would you rather we allow them to eat fat laden food every day and cause lifelong health problems?
Why yes, of course I would. Because that's exactly what I said :rolleyes: In fact, I was also suggesting PE should be eliminated from schools or at least cut back on to speed up the road to obesity. I don't know how you missed that.
idiotic!

I don’t know where the drag queen story hours are happening but they aren’t in my area. I’ve only ever heard of it from right wing pundits. I have no idea how popular they are.

We have them here in my area. I’m not a fan - so I don’t go. But the local kids seem to find it hilarious and enjoyable. I expect it’s the over-the-top emoting that appeals to their sense of fun.

They're teaching a law school graduate level course in children's grade school? Whoda thunk it?

I don’t know where the drag queen story hours are happening but they aren’t in my area. I’ve only ever heard of it from right wing pundits. I have no idea how popular they are.

As I recall, you are in the Bay Area like me. They do have them around here. Well, in SF anyway:

Drag Queen Story Hour
I’m in the general area but not familiar with SF too much. Only go there very rarely. But I guess not surprising that they would have it there.

Prices may be dropping, but that's just a recent phenomenon. They've been going up since Obama walked Trump's bloated ass into the White House. If you think Americans are quick to adjust to the decreases occurring over the last few months versus the increases over the course of several years, you're in for a surprise.

Prices may be dropping, but that's just a recent phenomenon. They've been going up since Obama walked Trump's bloated ass into the White House. If you think Americans are quick to adjust to the decreases occurring over the last few months versus the increases over the course of several years, you're in for a surprise.
Dude you are off-topic. This thread is about things that bother alt-right wokes.

It is human nature to feel actual loses more acutely than gains, and losses closer to current time even more so. It doesn't matter than most people are better off in purchasing power than 4 years ago (if the statistics are relatively accurate), they are not better off than they were about year ago.

The real question is how long will these feelings last for those in the center because the MAGA types are going to latch onto any reason (imagined or real) to justify their loyalty to their god.

People earning low wages or on fixed incomes or otherwise living near the edge, economically speaking, are really feeling the pinch at the grocery store and elsewhere. Rents are still extremely high. Home ownership is increasingly out of reach for many people.

As I recall, you are in the Bay Area like me. They do have them around here. Well, in SF anyway:

Drag Queen Story Hour
The San Francisco Public Library is where the whole thing started, in fact.

Drag Queen Story Hour
Yet about an hour’s drive away it’s not heard of.

Drag Queen Story Hour
Sounds like the right wing pundits are starting to slack off. Someone needs to write a sternly worded letter to Fox News so they can get the word out! ;)

Drag Queen Story Hour
Sounds like the right wing pundits are starting to slack off. Someone needs to write a sternly worded letter to Fox News so they can get the word out! ;)
They're too busy spreading the good news about the supposed "doom loop" that's going to take down Silicon Valley any month now.

We have noticed some things have gone up in price. Our mortgage for one! 8 years ago the goal, was to keep groceries below $200 for the week. This includes food, pet needs and cleaning beds. Now, I try and keep it below $300. Cleaning and hygiene needs have increased substantially, especially since the shortage during the pandemic. What we do though, is buy nonperishables when they are on a very good special and store them. Our Harry Potter cupboard is stocked with TP, Paper towel tissues and toiletries. our laundry has multiple boxes of detergent and household cleaning products. And we have a substantial store of pet food. I DO keep a mental track and don’t buy more if I know we have loads, even if they are on special, but it’s a good system.
Yup. Watching the deals and stocking up can make a big difference. At one point we had a 10 year supply of TP due to a very good sale that stacked with a very good coupon--and buying it produced another such coupon. In a store we drove past twice a day. And we have nearly that much right now because of what I think was a price mistake. And that is only because I figured we couldn't store any more. We also have a many-year supply of paper towels. I don't know what happened but half the paper towel section got put on clearance. Once again, bought enough to fill where it's stored.

Careful with buying too many detergent pods. Once again, a clearance deal and by now I'm finding about a 5% breakage rate. The packaging isn't truly airtight, a tiny amount of water vapor gets in and slowly eats the pods.

Back
Top Bottom