• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Problems with the Problem of Evil

I think I did read your response, but we obviously see it very differently, and at this point. It makes no sense to claim that you didn't have a choice but to believe in god and then claim that you have free will.

So you really don't see how the...fork in the road free choice versus no fork in the road - nothing to choose example works?

Oh well. I guess we'll have to leave it there in that case.

Sometimes my car SatNav offers me two alternative ways to get from A to B. Then when going from B to C there's only one route and it doesn't offer me any choice. But I'm still the same driver with the same free will in both cases. I haven't turned into a person with no free will.

I think I did read your response, but we obviously see it very differently, and at this point. It makes no sense to claim that you didn't have a choice but to believe in god and then claim that you have free will.

So you really don't see how the...fork in the road free choice versus no fork in the road - nothing to choose example works?

Oh well. I guess we'll have to leave it there in that case.

Sometimes my car SatNav offers me two alternative ways to get from A to B. Then when going from B to C there's only one route and it doesn't offer me any choice. But I'm still the same driver with the same free will in both cases. I haven't turned into a person with no free will.
The thing you do not see: you always have a choice. When you come to a fork in the road, one may go neither way, but depart from the road or cut the difference.

Rarely is there only one choice. Interesting enough, I don't think people can choose to believe in God, at least not most. They can choose not to, though.

Even when you change from the non-existent version of me (a time before I existed) to the newborn but still unaware of their own existence version of me, that it doesn't make me a conscious non-theist.
No. But once you become self aware, you still aren't a Christian until someone tells you to be.

I didnt say Christian.
Of course people can gradually grow in their knowledge of God getting information from various sources. But that doesnt negate the possibility that they have always thought God exists.

Even if you are an instinctive non-specific theist.

You mean instinctive theist. Someone who has always thought God exists. Someone who never chose to be a theist.

The evidence for this is simple; Were it not the case, we would expect to see Christianity (or at least, theism) suddenly arising in non-theist cultures. But Jains and Buddhists (for example) don't bear theist (much less Christian) children, not even occasionally.

OK
Call me a Jain then.
Why? You are NOT a Jain. You are a Christian.

I see your argument falls apart if and when a Jain makes the claim to have been born that way - not remembering a time when they didn't think of themself as a godlike past-eternal soul. Nobody ever taught them that karma is real. They've always thought that it's a self-evident truth, an axiom which does not need to be proven.

You're a pick-and-mix Christian, with a bizarre belief that all other religions are just misunderstandings of your own perfect sect.

No. Your argument fails irrespective of the truth or falsehood of the belief the person claims they have always held.

You are clearly NOT a Buddhist.

Your argument fails even if I claim to have always been a Buddhist.

Your response is.... but, but, but, you're NOT a Buddhist. You're NOT a Jain. You're NOT a Mormon. You're not a Muslim They cant all be right... They don't believe in YOUR God...

But these red herrings don't address or refute the ability of someone to have always held that religious view.

The thing you do not see: you always have a choice

I can see it perfectly well enough.

When you come to a fork in the road, one may go neither way, but depart from the road or cut the difference.

Rarely is there only one choice.

Sometimes when you're only presenting a very simple example, to make one simple point about a fork-in-the-road choice, and free will, it's better not to be exhaustive as to how many other forks there might be in other roads and how there are various other options that exist even on a one-way road.

Even when you change from the non-existent version of me (a time before I existed) to the newborn but still unaware of their own existence version of me, that it doesn't make me a conscious non-theist.
No. But once you become self aware, you still aren't a Christian until someone tells you to be.

I didnt say Christian.
I know. Your weaseling has been obvious from the start of this conversation.
Of course people can gradually grow in their knowledge of God getting information from various sources. But that doesnt negate the possibility that they have always thought God exists.
Yeah, it really does. "Something exists but I don't know what" is literally insane.
Even if you are an instinctive non-specific theist.

You mean instinctive theist.
I meant exactly what I said. Your instinctive theism is non-specific. You may think there's "something else", but until you were exposed to Christianity, that something else looked absolutely nothing like any of the Christian gods.
Someone who has always thought God exists. Someone who never chose to be a theist.
But who very definitely chose to be a Christian.

Being a "theist" is utterly meaningless, given the existence of thousands of mutually incompatible claims about the gods.
The evidence for this is simple; Were it not the case, we would expect to see Christianity (or at least, theism) suddenly arising in non-theist cultures. But Jains and Buddhists (for example) don't bear theist (much less Christian) children, not even occasionally.

OK
Call me a Jain then.
Why? You are NOT a Jain. You are a Christian.

I see your argument falls apart if and when a Jain makes the claim to have been born that way - not remembering a time when they didn't think of themself as a godlike past-eternal soul. Nobody ever taught them that karma is real. They've always thought that it's a self-evident truth, an axiom which does not need to be proven.
Yeah, that's just as much bollocks for the Jains as it is for you as a Christian.

Karma is not only not a "self-evident truth", it's observably false. Plenty of good people have shit lives; Plenty of really nasty people have long, happy and sucessful lives doing things they love to do.

The only way to salvage the idea of karma is to posit two things that are totally nonsensical:
  • People continue to exist after they die
  • In that "afterlife" they get what they deserve, despite not having done so in life
Not only are these things implausible; Not only do they lack any supporting evidence whatsoever; But the idea of an afterlife requires the demonstrably impossible idea of dualism to be true. Which it ain't.

The whole idea of karma relies on its proponents believing that things are true if we want them to be true.

That's horseshit.

You're a pick-and-mix Christian, with a bizarre belief that all other religions are just misunderstandings of your own perfect sect.

No. Your argument fails irrespective of the truth or falsehood of the belief the person claims they have always held.
It really doesn't. When you believe something that is false, you are simply wrong. It is irrelevant whether or not others are also wrong.
You are clearly NOT a Buddhist.

Your argument fails even if I claim to have always been a Buddhist.

Your response is.... but, but, but, you're NOT a Buddhist. You're NOT a Jain. You're NOT a Mormon. You're not a Muslim They cant all be right... They don't believe in YOUR God...

But these red herrings don't address or refute the ability of someone to have always held that religious view.
They leave you needing to explain how any of those views can be true, given the observation that people have the religion they were taught to have, and not the one true religion that you believe to be correct.

You seem remarkably embarrassed (and probably rightly so) by your Christianity; It appears that you would rather ignore its many contradictions, and that you use a more woolly and vague "theism" as a shelter against Christianity's obvious contradictions and absurdities.

That might work for you; But it doesn't work for your audience, who don't have any interest in protecting you from cognitive dissonance.

There are thousands of religions. They contradict each other, and they deny observed facts, and many (like Christianity) are internally contradictory too. They aren't compatible with each other, and suggesting that they are is absurd.

If you want to claim that your footy team are the best team ever, a simple observation that other teams often defeat them is proof that you are wrong.

To then turn around and say "a footy team wins every match, so as a footy fan, my team always wins" is to demonstrate a woeful lack of understanding of the very sport you claim to be so passionate about.

If you want to claim that somebody who doesn't care about football at all should start following your team, then pointing out that all teams are basically the same team, because they all play footy, is not only wrong, contradictory and absurd, but also a futile effort that is structurally unable to succeed.

That's what you are doing here with religions in place of teams, and theism in place of football.

There's no such thing as "theism", as far as a discussion of belief is concerned, any more than there is such a thing as a devoted fan of football teams in general.

You pick a team, and support it. Supporting Collingwood doesn't make you a fan of Juventus, or of the Dallas Cowboys; and being a Christian doesn't make you a Jain or a Buddhist.

Your weaseling has been obvious from the start of this conversation.
That fact necessarily escapes our fundy friend. When the facts must lie, argue the words. There’s always an epistemological escape hatch.

When you come to a fork in the road, one may go neither way, but depart from the road or cut the difference.

Sometimes when you're only presenting a very simple example, to make one simple point about a fork-in-the-road choice, and free will, it's better not to be exhaustive as to how many other forks there might be in other roads and how there are various other options that exist even on a one-way road.
But that's the point we are making. YOU have choices.

But if there is an entity that created the universe knowing everything that would happen in it, knowing it was creating me and assigning me a fate of doing many of the shitty things I have done over the course of my life, and not stopping me, that thing is fucking guilty of some stuff I think is rather shameful.

The ONLY way that this thing gets forgiveness is if it didn't plan the outcome, but something with the properties you think are important with relation to such things are not logically possible: it cannot claim no responsibility for the shameful actions.

Therefore tri-omni creators cannot logically exist.

That's the thing. The entire logic of this is that NO universe can be created by a tri-omni creator. Nothing, no system of change over time capable of encoding knowledge of ethics and shameful behavior can be created by such a thing.

Such a thing is not "tri-omni" by the definitions Christians and atheists alike tend to use.

The only resolution to this is to accept some degraded forms of omni-whatever. I have offered ways to degrade any of these, but in all cases it strips the entity of "divine command authority", and renders such things capable of examination through language.

The correct course of action is this to make the world the best possible of worlds for those here, now, today, and to do that which may break death itself.

In many respects, this is what your book says you should do anyway.

Why are you here bothering us over it?

I think CS Lewis had a particular point in The Last Battle, for all it was kinda... Problematic in ways: If an atheist is just doing what they think they ought for the good of one another, because it is right, not for any sake of heaven or long term reward, then what is it they need "saving" from? Their mom finding their browser history? Far more likely to fall are the people who raise up a foul thing up as if it were the thing named originally to worship.

If I were you, I wouldn't be here. Among this place are people who will argue far more effectively than you for some objective standard of how to interact with one another compatibly. Instead, were I to believe there was a god, and of I were to hold the hope that this thing I called "God" were in any way something that I would find capable or worthy of love, I would be in all the places where others do believe in such things telling them to get their shit together.

In short, you are apologizing to the wrong group.

But that's the point we are making. YOU have choices.

Sometimes there are multiple choices.
Other times there's no choice.
In both instances we retain our free will.

But if there is an entity that created the universe knowing everything that would happen in it, knowing it was creating me and assigning me a fate of doing many of the shitty things I have done over the course of my life, and not stopping me, that thing is fucking guilty of some stuff I think is rather shameful.

I dont accept your claim that God denied you freedom of choice by 'assigning you a fate'.

That you can independently look on your own actions and pass judgement on them speaks volumes. This doesn't seem like the action of a person who feels they had no control.

If I was someone's puppet being controlled in all my thoughts and all my deeds, I don't see how I could independently judge them as right or wrong.

The ONLY way that this thing gets forgiveness is if it didn't plan the outcome, but something with the properties you think are important with relation to such things are not logically possible: it cannot claim no responsibility for the shameful actions.

I dont accept the self-contradictory claim that God causes people to sin then holds them responsible for those sins - actions they couldn't control or prevent.
Thats gonzo theology and it's overwhelmingly contradicted by scripture.

Therefore tri-omni creators cannot logically exist.

I dont find any logical barriers or contradictions between omnipotence/omniscience and free will.
And the other omni - all loving - is completely harmonious with the theology of us being created in His likeness, with free will.

That's the thing. The entire logic of this is that NO universe can be created by a tri-omni creator.

An omnipotent God can create whatever He wants.

...The only resolution to this is to accept some degraded forms of omni-whatever.

I see no need to dilute God's omni prerogatives.

...In many respects, this is what your book says you should do anyway.

Why are you here bothering us over it?

I dont initiate discussions with counter-apologist atheist proselytisers. I respond to them. If thats a 'bother' they are the ones in the wrong place.

I think CS Lewis had a particular point in The Last Battle, for all it was kinda... Problematic in ways: If an atheist is just doing what they think they ought for the good of one another, because it is right, not for any sake of heaven or long term reward, then what is it they need "saving" from?

If an atheist wants to love their neighbor and do good stuff just "because it is right" then I'm not sure what their problem is with Jesus.

If I were you, I wouldn't be here. Among this place are people who will argue far more effectively than you for some objective standard of how to interact with one another compatibly.

Good. You're not me.
And I dont argue for that.

Instead, were I to believe there was a god, and of I were to hold the hope that this thing I called "God" were in any way something that I would find capable or worthy of love, I would be in all the places where others do believe in such things telling them to get their shit together.

I prefer to stick with justifying my own views - in response to people who go out of their way to tell me that I need to get MY shit together.

In short, you are apologizing to the wrong group.

Why would I want to argue with people I agree with?
Muslims think God exists.
Jewish people think God exists.
Christians of every denomination think God exists.
Hindus think gods exist which is more of a problem for you to fix than me.

They all share my view that atheism is false. So why would I waste time on them when it comes to the Atheism vs Theism debate?

What brought you to a belief in God, the bible, Christianity? Did you just decide to believe as an act of will? One moment you were not convinced, the next you believed?

I never started to believe God exists.

There was a time as a child when you had never heard of God or religion.

You can think God exists before someone tells you God exists.

You can't think that God exists before you are exposed to the idea of God.

You were not born with the knowledge of religion, faith or God. You may mean when you became conscious of your belief.

That's not really a material distinction.
An awareness void prior to becoming consciously aware that you think X doesn't necessarily qualify as a time when you thought Y. You didnt think X or Y or anything. It's just a time you don't remember.

And why should a period of a time before I existed, or a comatose time when I didn't think anything at all qualify as part of my 'thoughts about God' timeline?

You have no capacity to think about abstract concepts before your brain develops and acquires the necessary information.

Most people don't even remember much before they were three years old. Certainly not anything to do with God.

I never had a choice.

Sure, and what does that say about your claim that free will is issue, that free will allows you to choose either a belief in God or a lack of conviction.

You have falsified the free will defense.

If there's a fork in the road and I can go left or right, I can make a free will choice.
If there's no fork in the road, there's no choice to be made. But I still have my free will in both scenarios.

Yet you said that you had no choice when it comes to believing in God.

As I said, if you really had that choice, you could easily switch off your belief in God through an act of free will and choose to be an atheist.

Of course, that is not how the process of conviction or losing one's faith works.
Of course not, conviction is a process brought about by many elements, family, culture, life experiences, needs, wants.

Nope. Not everyone acquires their conviction about God gradually.

It's not like a switch operating in isolation. You need to consider everything that brings the person to that moment of realization that they believe something, the 'aha' moment has antecedents.

I already affirmed that people can gradually increase their knowledge of God - people who already think God is real.

Knowledge is something that can be examined and tested by anyone who cares to look. As the evidence for the existence of a God is somewhat lacking, this makes increasing one's knowledge of God quite difficult.

I dont accept your claim that God denied you freedom of choice by 'assigning you a fate'.
Responsibility is not zero sum.

This is an issue some people seem to have a very hard time parsing: even if I am responsible for my actions, a tri-omni being would still ALSO be responsible for my actions.

To observe the mechanics of this at play: let's say I program a murder robot. I give it a face recognized, I give it a pulse detector, and I give it an array of devices which it will activate towards faces until it ceases detecting a pulse in the area.

Knowing the future that happens when those things are all put together, we can say that the plans themselves, let alone when the fleet of ghetto manhacks are constructed and buzzing about, were heinous and shameful.

I am "responsible for the shameful act of making a bunch of manhacks", which is more heinous than killing folks in a lot of ways, but I'm not directly responsible for killing folks.

The manhacks would be directly responsible for that. This can be tested readily by the fact that responding to me won't do a damn thing about my manhacks. You would have to respond directly to the manhack to end the behavior of the manhacks.

Thus, I in the same way that I am responsible for assigning the fate to the manhacks to see and murder people, god is responsible for assigning the fate to humans to see and murder people. This is different from the responsibility for directly doing the murders, but this is still a responsibility for something heinous.

An omnipotent God can create whatever He wants.
Not if it is also omnibenevolent and omniscient.

I see no need to dilute God's omni prerogatives
See above. Your lack of ability to see why is one of the reasons we here tend to treat you rather like a laughing stock.

I prefer to stick with justifying my own views
Except that you don't. You came HERE to argue. We didn't go out on a quest to locate you. You are the one going out of your way and you went out of your way that you became a fixture at an atheist forum.

Why would I want to argue with people I agree with?
Because they clearly don't. If you don't see how your own church and religious infrastructure is raising up an idol in a dead lion skin as it were, there's little help to offer you.

To be fair, I just find it sad that atheists manage to be better Christians.

Who said it had to be "exactly the same" as their individually "unique" experience?
Nobody said “had to be”.
YOU said YOURS was.
I am getting rather sick of your smarmy tactic of disingenuous conversation, Lion.
I’m sure it flushes with your well indoctrinated fellows, but it won’t go down here.

You tried to defend the indefensible, and now you deny having done so. In the unlikely event that someone gives a fuck, I invite them to read upthread and behold the pervasive dishonesty that cloaks the lies and deceit that are the foundations of your - and other - religions.

I’ll just enjoy some popcorn and watch you tie yourself in knots of self righteous irrationality.

Btw. I did not choose to be an atheist. After growing up in an evangelical home, after suffering from cognitive dissonance based on the contradictions I saw, I studied other religions. I married a Baha'i, who I didn't realize was a religious fanatic. I tried to believe that his religion was true as it seemed much nicer than the one I had been taught to believe, but I simply couldn't even after becoming friends with many Bahai's, attending their meetings and hoping I could believe.

Eventually, in my late 20s, I realized there are no gods and that's how I became an atheist. It was not a choice! Luckily my current husband, who was raised Catholic is also an atheist. We've been happily married atheists for 42 years. A coworker of my husband, prior to his retirement, once told my husband that he was a better person than most Christians he knew. The guy was a conservative Christian, so it doesn't take a belief in a god to be a morally upright person. It's other influences that make us who we are.

One of my former neighbors became an atheist after staying up all night praying that his 3 year old son would survive a virus that required the child to be hospitalized. The child died and immediately my former neighbor became an atheist. He has been a Pentecostal prior to that, but he realized no good god would allow his little boy to die at age 3, especially since he prayed so hard for his survival and had always done his best to follow the teachings of his religion. I get so sick of hearing that some tragedy was god's will. If the Christian god was real, he's obviously evil, as he causes so many innocent people to suffer, even those who believe in the Christian mythology.

My husband did not choose to become an atheist. It just made a lot more sense than the concept that there is an invisible entity who lives somewhere in the universe, who knows exactly what we are doing, who decides whether to answer our prayers or not, etc. I've never met an atheist who chose to be one. Some of us were never exposed to religion but a lot of us were taught that a certain religion was the truth. My ex is still a fanatical Baha'i who left the US to try and convert others to his religion. He keeps sending Baha'i literature to our grandchildren my son throws out. He was raised by parents who adopted that religion, after one of them was raised as a Christian and the other had Baha'i parents. I don't think people choose what to believe. I think what they believe is due to a lot of factors and influences.

fc72db9e65512aa3c636d584cc44448f.gif

You can't think that God exists before you are exposed to the idea of God.

OK
We'll do it your way.
There was never a time I wasn't "exposed to the idea of God".

I bet he can't even butcher a goat.
Hey, if he can have the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE OF GOD, surely he can have the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE OF BUTCHERING A GOAT!

You even used the CAPS LOCK
Yes. It’s there for a reason.
I am mystified, Lion.
You DID (caps intended) say you had the “exact same feelings of god” [as 5thC goat herders].

Why are you denying it?
I really don’t think you’d intentionally resort to denying your own posted words, so I’m not sure what the deal is with this behavior. And besides claiming “thinking the same exact thing” and having “the exact same feelings” you venture this:

You're not in a position to tell me I haven't shared the same experiences of God that they had.

I think that implies that you ARE in such a “position”.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that, of course. Other than being irrational. But that’s the God business…

You came HERE to argue. We didn't go out on a quest to locate you. You are the one going out of your way...

It's a discussion board.
The very first post in the thread is an invitation to discuss.

"Your thoughts on the PoE?"

Do you want me to bury you in an avalanche of examples of posts made by people here challenging me to respond?

These perceived “challenges to respond” are mostly invitations to examine the closed circuit thought process that is religiosity. That you are challenged by them should be revelatory to you, about what you’ve been told.

Back
Top Bottom