• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Profound Thoughts

Poetry podcasts spend an inordinate amount of time whining about the lack of sales of poetry and the lack of popularity of it. In the one media where the listeners are among the few who do care. It's stupid. They should stop whining about it ⛔

Poetry podcasts spend an inordinate amount of time whining about the lack of sales of poetry and the lack of popularity of it. In the one media where the listeners are among the few who do care. It's stupid. They should stop whining about it ⛔

Or at least, write poems about it. ;)

Or at least, write poems about it. ;)

Indeed.

And another thing - I can't imagine expecting someone to pay me for the chance of reading my poems. I have everything I've ever written, which I deem worth saving, on a handful of blogs. I believe I would feel this way even if everyone in the world told me I was the greatest poet since Shakespeare.

I mean this particularly in light of these modern times. Before Gutenberg, books had to be written manually, copied meticulously, and often times with wonderful ornate text and art-work. "Publishing" a book then meant something. Old, illuminated manuscripts make my eyes tear up. So much work going into preserving the ideas and sentences of a human being.

I have nothing against publishing. Not hardly. In fact I have submitted work and have had a few things printed in forgettable venues, but eventually gave the whole thing up since seeing my name in print in some flimsy little poetry journal meant almost nothing to me. I remember the let-down when I got my first one into a mag. It did virtually nothing for me, since I knew that maybe 300 people in the world might actually read my poem.

Nobody (except one or two readers) pays any mind to my blogs, and I don't care. I do like the idea that my tuppence is out there and that maybe some people might stumble on it.

But expecting someone to pay for the chance to read my poems seems, well, silly.

WAB, try some off the wall %#$#. Like, I dunno, hire a famous Video game Characters voice actor like Roger Clark who did Author Morgan for Red Dead Redemption 2 to read your poems. Or someone who can do a really good Super Mario or Sonic impression to read them. Can be whatever you want (and can get) so it'ss not restricted to video games and cartoon characters. Then litter YouTube and other platforms with them, add links to your blog & Profit. :sneaky:

WAB, try some off the wall %#$#. Like, I dunno, hire a famous Video game Characters voice actor like Roger Clark who did Author Morgan for Red Dead Redemption 2 to read your poems. Or someone who can do a really good Super Mario or Sonic impression to read them. Can be whatever you want (and can get) so it'ss not restricted to video games and cartoon characters. Then litter YouTube and other platforms with them, add links to your blog & Profit. :sneaky:

Nah, I think I actually prefer obscurity. To become even moderately well-known in the writing world as a poet one has to do a tremendous amount of work: submit incessantly to journals, rack up pub credits, get into as many prestigious venues as possible, put out chapbooks or collections with reputable publishers, constantly be one's own best agent and advocate, plus flatter the hell out of any well-known poet you know of, write blurbs for their books, write reviews of their books, making sure to include the most glowing AND inexplicably esoteric compliments, such as:

X writes verse that not only faces the challenges of living head on, but does so in a manner that subverts the ego and addresses opposite extremes of reality, not only that which is perceived, but what is perceivable, and she does so with a sense of humor and a kind of cocky, self-assured humility that creates a unique but comforting, as well as disquieting, voice in modern poetry...

Then there is the necessity of attending readings, giving readings, ass-kissing, adopting the right political and social views, buying scads of books by others so you can boast about how many contemporary poets you are directly supporting; also enter as many contests as possible...etc. Too much work for me.

As for somebody reading my poems: I love that idea and wish I could enlist someone. Thought about it lots. A lot of premier poets destroy their poems by reading them aloud.

I think the reason Shakespeare is so universally admired and understood is because his (or her) works are so often recited by professional actors who understand the nuances of meter and render the lines beautifully, and often in a manner that masks or reduces the de-thump-de thump de thump of iambic pentameter. Many people do not even realize that the bulk of Shakespeare's plays are written in a poetic meter.

I would love to have Anthony Hopkins read mine, or Ian McKellan. One can dream!

To become even moderately well-known in the writing world as a poet one has to do a tremendous amount of work.

Or come up with one simple line of verse that is so compelling that it creates a tsunami in the ocean of poems,
traveling at unthinkable speed through the medium of human emotion, transforming all it encounters and enduring through the ages
to the eternal glorification of the Author, whose transcendent vision and sublime expression will ensure their prominence in the permanent record of the collective Mind.

That and $4.00 will get you a latté. :)

To become even moderately well-known in the writing world as a poet one has to do a tremendous amount of work.

Or come up with one simple line of verse that is so compelling that it creates a tsunami in the ocean of poems,
traveling at unthinkable speed through the medium of human emotion, transforming all it encounters and enduring through the ages
to the eternal glorification of the Author, whose transcendent vision and sublime expression will ensure their prominence in the permanent record of the collective Mind.

a tsunami in
the ocean of poems,
traveling at unthinkable speed
through the medium of human emotion,

transforming all it encounters
and enduring through the ages
to the eternal glorification
of the Author,

whose transcendent vision
and sublime expression will ensure
their prominence in the permanent record
of the collective Mind

- Elixer

Send it in to a poetry contest. You stand as good a chance of winning as anybody. If you win, maybe you can send me some cash, since I lineated it for you! :joy:

/ :rimshot:

a tsunami in
the ocean of poems,

of the Author,

of the collective Mind

- Elixer

Send it in to a poetry contest. You stand as good a chance of winning as anybody. If you win, maybe you can send me some cash, since I lineated it for you! :joy:

Well, you spelled the attribution wrong, so you may as well keep it as your own, gem that it is.
I was pleased to see how well it lent to lineation, anyhow. Good job! :)

a tsunami in
the ocean of poems,

of the Author,

of the collective Mind

- Elixer

Well, you spelled the attribution wrong, so you may as well keep it as your own, gem that it is.
I was pleased to see how well it lent to lineation, anyhow. Good job! :)

D'oh!

Sorry, Elixir.

From elsewhere:

"I read in an article somewhere that the average American uses two rolls of toilet paper per week. I thought "no way in Hell do I use that much TP!"
But then, today I had to buy toilet paper. Since COVID, I don't mess around, I buy bulk.

Anyhow, my toilet paper came with the usual math lesson, whereby I learned that 24=96.
I also saw on the other packages that 12=48 and 18=72. So I started wondering... did that article mean to say the average American actually uses 8 rolls of toilet paper per week?
Because if all those other lessons are correct, it follows that 2=8. But then, I thought, maybe, because ½=2, maybe the average American only uses half a roll per week?

I think I should stop using it altogether, since it's messing with my reading ability, my math ability and my conscience all at once. Not worth it for a clean butt. Buy a bidet?

Thoughts?"

From elsewhere:

"I read in an article somewhere that the average American uses two rolls of toilet paper per week. I thought "no way in Hell do I use that much TP!"
But then, today I had to buy toilet paper. Since COVID, I don't mess around, I buy bulk.

Anyhow, my toilet paper came with the usual math lesson, whereby I learned that 24=96.
I also saw on the other packages that 12=48 and 18=72. So I started wondering... did that article mean to say the average American actually uses 8 rolls of toilet paper per week?
Because if all those other lessons are correct, it follows that 2=8. But then, I thought, maybe, because ½=2, maybe the average American only uses half a roll per week?

I think I should stop using it altogether, since it's messing with my reading ability, my math ability and my conscience all at once. Not worth it for a clean butt. Buy a bidet?

Thoughts?"

Whatever the butler does back there is his problem.

Thoughts?"

I'm beginning to think that saving toilet paper is more reasonable than saving cash since every year toilet paper is worth more and cash worth less. Maybe I will start wiping my butt with dollar bills and buy a safe to keep toilet paper in.

Plastic film toilet paper. Let them figure it out downpipe, they already figured out meth.

I knew a lady who thought recycled toilet paper was actually recycled toilet paper.

Back
Top Bottom