• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Right Wing Turns On Taylor Swift

For those of you who have not yet figured it out: It’s a brand new day. Girls aren’t interested in songs about how they neeeed to get him back. Nope. They don’t need him or those sad songs anyway. Nope, they happily listen to songs that tell him to fuck right off if he can’t appreciate their awesomeness.
And Taylor Swift is just the girl for them.

She is wicked smart and not coy about it. She speaks up and out. And they listen because she’s not just telling her truth but theirs as well.

If I may delve into the subject I know about for a minute...

There are a few parallels between Taylor Swift and Garth Brooks. In fact I'd go so far as to say she was the female Garth Brooks, and has become something more. Bear with me here.

Garth Brooks is (last time I checked) the biggest selling solo artist in US history. Bigger than Elvis. Bigger than Sinatra. Is he the best singer? Not by a long shot. Best musician? Hardly. Yet he understood what his audience wanted, was very savvy at marketing, and super-served them in a way no other artist had ever done. He put on shows that had never been done before (except for Chris LeDoux, don't get me started) and met his fans en masse after every show. He celebrated his 1 millionth concert fan by giving them a truck backstage. He spent over 24 hours signing autographs at a Nashville event known as "Fan Fair" where people could maybe meet their heroes for a second, but (famously) he took time with every single person in line and stayed until they'd all met him. He also didn't entirely shy away from politics like most country artists, but he did it in a sly way. His song "We Shall Be Free" is the polar opposite of that one song about "don't try that in a small town" that came out recently, but his fans dug it because hey...he was Garth Brooks.

He dipped his toe into the "I've got a platform and a hundred million fans...maybe I can do something with it" but Taylor has taken that ball and ran with it. Is she the best singer? Best musician? No, but she understands her audience, is very savvy at marketing, and has seized on the fact that people - a lot of people - are listening to her. She super-serves her fans, and has figured out that she has a platform and can use it.

The right has been sending death threats to Taylor Swift since she said mean (but accurate) things about Marsha Blackburn and Trump. This is nothing new. But considering the infinitesimal attention span NAGAtards have, I suspect this will blow over once a skittle becomes trans or something. Season 2 of Our Flag Means Death is coming out next week so Swifties only have to hold out until then.

If Taylor Swift can get more young women voting against Republicans, great!!

Otherwise I am uninterested. Never heard one of her songs so far as I know. But that goes pretty much all contemporary pop stars.

If the Delicate Republicans are feeling bad about Taylor they just Need to Calm Down and Shake It Off.

The difference between a few years ago and now is an election is now in play. And as the GOP found out in Kansas and Ohio, abortion has energized women voters. Young women despise the GOP. the difference now is that young women voters in the past often did not make it to the polls to vote. So Taylor Swift encouraging her many followers to actually register to vote successfully, may be a serious political problem for the GOP. Another wave in a perfect storm for 2024. What remains to be seen is if Taylor Swift can get well organized for 2024. Make her political demands known. And give millions of her Swiftie brigades a good reason to actually get to the damed voting booth.

Otherwise I am uninterested. Never heard one of her songs so far as I know. But that goes pretty much all contemporary pop stars.

Some months back I actually googled for some of her music. Not reaaly to my taste, but then I am not her target audience. One song was a pro gay message song. Not bad music, just not my music. But then, I never quit my job to follow The Dead either.

But selling 114 million albums shows she speaks to an audience. What do I know?

Think of how this could be a lot of fun if Taylor Swift hired experts to organize her Swiftie army to especially target swing states and districts. And let her supporters know, it is time to get angry and get even. They have power and need to use it.

I know next to nothing about Swift. What I do know is she transcends well above the term pop star. She probably resides just below Michael Jackson for popularity.

I hope she can get women to vote who otherwise think they don't have skin in the game, when they very much do.

Taylor Swift is great, and I'm glad to hear she is taking a stand and encouraging people to vote.

Sadly, I know what kind of attack the GOP is going to marshal against her already. I'm just not going to describe it because I don't want to put the spark to that gasoline-soaked fuse.

What I'll say is that Taylor Swift just put a target on the back of a very large community she has participated in publicly, and one I'm a member of. It was always going to happen, and this is probably the "best" way it could, but still...

A breakdown of the Taylor Swift fandom

Nearly three-fourths (74%) of self-described avid Swift fans are white. Majorities also identified as Democrats (55%) and live in suburban areas (53%).
The gender profile of avid Swift fans is more evenly split: Women (52%) slightly edged out men (48%).
Nearly half (45%) are millennials, while Gen Xers (21%) and baby boomers (23%) each represent just under one-fourth of total avid Swift fans.
Almost 3 in 4 (73%) avid fans cited enjoyment of Swift's music as a major driving force behind their fandom, significantly more than any other tested reason. Enjoying Swift's performances and music videos (50%) and feeling she is relatable (42%) were the next most popular reasons.
About half of the avid Swift fandom (49%) reported a household income under $50,000.

It's an older demographic than I had expected. I thought they skewed much younger as in a majority Gen X and tailing off from there.

Ref: https://pro.morningconsult.com/instant-intel/taylor-swift-fandom-demographic
Survey: https://pro-assets.morningconsult.c...ENTERTAINMENT_TAYLOR_SWIFT_Adults_v1_HD-1.pdf
Opens in Reader view.

Nearly three-fourths (74%) of self-described avid Swift fans are white. Majorities also identified as Democrats (55%) and live in suburban areas (53%).
The gender profile of avid Swift fans is more evenly split: Women (52%) slightly edged out men (48%).
Nearly half (45%) are millennials, while Gen Xers (21%) and baby boomers (23%) each represent just under one-fourth of total avid Swift fans.
Almost 3 in 4 (73%) avid fans cited enjoyment of Swift's music as a major driving force behind their fandom, significantly more than any other tested reason. Enjoying Swift's performances and music videos (50%) and feeling she is relatable (42%) were the next most popular reasons.
About half of the avid Swift fandom (49%) reported a household income under $50,000.

It's an older demographic than I had expected. I thought they skewed much younger as in a majority Gen X and tailing off from there.

Ref: https://pro.morningconsult.com/instant-intel/taylor-swift-fandom-demographic
Survey: https://pro-assets.morningconsult.c...ENTERTAINMENT_TAYLOR_SWIFT_Adults_v1_HD-1.pdf
Opens in Reader view.
Sounds to me like Taylor ought to tread lightly regarding politics. That's more male fans than I would have expected, and about half (or more) of those are Republicans or independents. I hope she at least has enough sense not to recruit Dylan Mulvaney for a spokesperson, or else its, "Hellooooo President Trump!"

Opens in Reader view.
Sounds to me like Taylor ought to tread lightly regarding politics. That's more male fans than I would have expected, and about half (or more) of those are Republicans or independents. I hope she at least has enough sense not to recruit Dylan Mulvaney for a spokesperson, or else its, "Hellooooo President Trump!"
Agreed. Right wingers have been cancelling people my entire life. But as was said above, just encouraging turnout helps the left.

Ivy is a pretty cool song, don't ask me how I know.

Agreed. Right wingers have been cancelling people my entire life. But as was said above, just encouraging turnout helps the left.

Pretty much this. I think it counterproductive for Swift to go into details like endorsing candidates and stuff. Just stick with "your rights are under attack. Talking about it on social media doesn't change anything. Voting can!"
Tom

Opens in Reader view.
Encouraging voter registration and turnout could be her undoing, though, if she subsequently bashes and pisses off conservatives. It could be a repeat of what happened after John Lennon said, "We're bigger than Jesus" at the height of Beatlemania. They took a big hit from many fans after that comment. Don't underestimate the ability of conservatives to get in their vote. The 2016 election for Trump is proof of that.

Boobert won by a little over 500 votes. Siccing her Swifties on Boobert would boot her out of the house. Getting specific and helping end political careers of Republicans in otherwise toss up elections might make Taylor Swift a GOP nightmare.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom