• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Right Wing Turns On Taylor Swift

The last thing the. GOP wants is hordes of young women voting at the polls.
May they attract vast amounts of attention to their crusade - that always works 🤪

Many of these right wing louts are recieving mockery and shit posting for their efforts. One right winger who called her ugly and her music stupid, has been mocked as looking like a potatohead. Not a manly hunk. And does not seem to have any current music on the top 100 play list.

The difference between a few years ago and now is an election is now in play. And as the GOP found out in Kansas and Ohio, abortion has energized women voters. Young women despise the GOP. the difference now is that young women voters in the past often did not make it to the polls to vote. So Taylor Swift encouraging her many followers to actually register to vote successfully, may be a serious political problem for the GOP. Another wave in a perfect storm for 2024. What remains to be seen is if Taylor Swift can get well organized for 2024. Make her political demands known. And give millions of her Swiftie brigades a good reason to actually get to the damed voting booth.
I need to say here that perhaps most young women hate MAGA and are energized by voting to support abortion rights but some young women are the opposite: they also stand outside of abortion clinics trying to discourage people from entering, home school their kids and are very obedient to their husbands. And they bring their children to the abortion clinics with them.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not stupid, ignorant or fat and unattractive. A dear friend of mine, one of the most intelligent and articulate people I’ve ever known has an equally intelligent and articulate sister whose daughters—all intelligent, articulate young women protest outside of abortion clinics—with their many children. I’ve known my friend and her sister since we were 7-8 years old. The very right to life sister and her daughters are a puzzle to my friend and the rest of the siblings, except for one brother who is also politically conservative. Also to me. Not how I would have guessed she would end up…

I have a few friends who are extremely anti abortion —and are also fairly religious. They aren’t stupid. I think they are wrong —and they think I am very very wrong about this issue. I have other friends who are fairly religious and also supportive of abortion rights.

I think it is important to recognize that there are intelligent thoughtful people who vehemently disagree with us on some or many issues. Stereotyping doesn’t help.

Encouraging voter registration and turnout could be her undoing, though, if she subsequently bashes and pisses off conservatives. It could be a repeat of what happened after John Lennon said, "We're bigger than Jesus" at the height of Beatlemania. They took a big hit from many fans after that comment. Don't underestimate the ability of conservatives to get in their vote. The 2016 election for Trump is proof of that.
Do you really think there is that much of an overlap between Swifties and MAGA cunts? I'm not saying they don't exist; I'm saying they are so few and far between they can easily be dismissed as statistical outliers. I suspect Charlie Daniels has more fans who are Bernie Bros than Swifties with red baseball caps.

A breakdown of the Taylor Swift fandom

Nearly three-fourths (74%) of self-described avid Swift fans are white. Majorities also identified as Democrats (55%) and live in suburban areas (53%).
The gender profile of avid Swift fans is more evenly split: Women (52%) slightly edged out men (48%).
Nearly half (45%) are millennials, while Gen Xers (21%) and baby boomers (23%) each represent just under one-fourth of total avid Swift fans.
Almost 3 in 4 (73%) avid fans cited enjoyment of Swift's music as a major driving force behind their fandom, significantly more than any other tested reason. Enjoying Swift's performances and music videos (50%) and feeling she is relatable (42%) were the next most popular reasons.
About half of the avid Swift fandom (49%) reported a household income under $50,000.

It's an older demographic than I had expected. I thought they skewed much younger as in a majority Gen X and tailing off from there.

Ref: https://pro.morningconsult.com/instant-intel/taylor-swift-fandom-demographic
Survey: https://pro-assets.morningconsult.c...ENTERTAINMENT_TAYLOR_SWIFT_Adults_v1_HD-1.pdf
Opens in Reader view.
Sounds to me like Taylor ought to tread lightly regarding politics. That's more male fans than I would have expected, and about half (or more) of those are Republicans or independents. I hope she at least has enough sense not to recruit Dylan Mulvaney for a spokesperson, or else its, "Hellooooo President Trump!"
Agreed. Right wingers have been cancelling people my entire life. But as was said above, just encouraging turnout helps the left.
Encouraging voter registration and turnout could be her undoing, though, if she subsequently bashes and pisses off conservatives.
It doesn't take much to piss off conservatives. She told people to go to a non-partisan group and register to vote. That pissed off "conservatives". Yes, Swift should be careful... being an entertainer and a woman really means she should shut up and sing. What the heck would she know about women's reproductive rights anyway?

The difference between a few years ago and now is an election is now in play. And as the GOP found out in Kansas and Ohio, abortion has energized women voters. Young women despise the GOP. the difference now is that young women voters in the past often did not make it to the polls to vote. So Taylor Swift encouraging her many followers to actually register to vote successfully, may be a serious political problem for the GOP. Another wave in a perfect storm for 2024. What remains to be seen is if Taylor Swift can get well organized for 2024. Make her political demands known. And give millions of her Swiftie brigades a good reason to actually get to the damed voting booth.
I need to say here that perhaps most young women hate MAGA and are energized by voting to support abortion rights but some young women are the opposite: they also stand outside of abortion clinics trying to discourage people from entering, home school their kids and are very obedient to their husbands. And they bring their children to the abortion clinics with them.
They exist, but historically, the young adult crowd votes blue-er. So more young people voting isn't generally a great thing for conservatives.

Personally I hope Taylor Swift isn't callous and hurts the feelings of people who love Donald Trump.

Again, I just hope that more young people get out and vote and that the consequences of the impending conservofascist attack on TS are not as awful as I fear they will be.

They exist, but historically, the young adult crowd votes blue-er. So more young people voting isn't generally a great thing for conservatives.
Really it's this.
Across the board, more eligible voters lean Blue. Young people in particular. But young people have extremely low turn out rates. They just don't vote.

Unfortunately, Blue voters tend to be drawn from low turn out demographics. If they voted as consistently as Red voters this country would be very different.
Tom

Really it's this.
Across the board, more eligible voters lean Blue. Young people in particular. But young people have extremely low turn out rates. They just don't vote.

Unfortunately, Blue voters tend to be drawn from low turn out demographics. If they voted as consistently as Red voters this country would be very different.
Tom
Jebus, had Ralph Nadar not run in 2000, or some Democrat designed a better ballot in Palm Beach County, this World could be very different.

Really it's this.

Tom
Jebus, had Ralph Nadar not run in 2000, or some Democrat designed a better ballot in Palm Beach County, this World could be very different.

Yep.
And the election was still so close that candidate Bush's brother, Governor Bush, had to resort to election fraud to deliver Bush's winning EC delegates.
Tom

Really it's this.

Tom

Yep.
And the election was still so close that candidate Bush's brother, Governor Bush, had to resort to election fraud to deliver Bush's winning EC delegates.
Tom
That is a bit strong. He stepped away and looked elsewhere, while people that Roger Stone pretended to be normal commoners and storm Palm Beach County's Canvassing Board. 2000 wasn't fraud as much as trying to delay the recount. W or Gore won Florida by the slimmest of margins. A margin slimmer than margin of error in counting the vote it seemed (at least for Florida).

He stepped away and looked elsewhere, while people that Roger Stone pretended to be normal commoners and storm Palm Beach County's Canvassing Board.

I don't remember that part.
I do remember other parts though.

One of a few was Florida legislature simply ignoring state law concerning out of state ballots. According to the law, ballots had to have a time stamp demonstrating that the ballot had been mailed on or before voting day. Election officials simply ignored the law when it came to reliably Republican military votes. They counted them even when they'd obviously been mailed days after the election.
Tom

ETA ~ More than a bit of a derail here ~

Taylor Swift has amply demonstrated she is a shrewd businessperson, a smart resourceful young woman and an artist who knows her audience. I suspect she will end up just fine.

I don’t think she gives a rats ass about right wing blowback.
Wouldn't surprise me if she used right wing blowback to her advantage.

As she leaves the stage of a show with 50,000 attendees she shouts "Oh and guess what someone posted on my Instagram this morning. 'You dumb bitches are gonna die after the next election!' Are you gonna let him get away with that?
Or are you gonna go vote!?"

It's a fantasy, but it could happen.
Tom

Really it's this.

Tom

Yep.
Tom
Al Gore, not George Bush, should be sitting in the White House today as the newly elected president of the United States, two new independent probes of the disputed Florida election contest have confirmed.

The first survey, conducted on behalf of the Washington Post, shows that Mr Gore had a nearly three-to-one majority among 56,000 Florida voters whose November 7 ballot papers were discounted because they contained more than one punched hole.

The second and separate survey, conducted on behalf of the Palm Beach Post, shows that Mr Gore had a majority of 682 votes among the discounted "dimpled" ballots in Palm Beach county.

In each case, if the newly examined votes had been allowed to count in the November election, Mr Gore would have won Florida's 21 electoral college votes by a narrow majority and he, not Mr Bush, would be the president. Instead, Mr Bush officially carried Florida by 537 votes after recounts were stopped.

Smart entertainers avoid taking sides in politics, especially if they have lots of fans in both parties, which she likely does. Once she starts trashing a political party, its likely she's going to lose fans and sell less records and concert tickets. On the other hand, she has so much coin in the bank, maybe she just doesn't care at this point in her career.

That said, I think I know maybe two songs by her, both of which she dumps on two of her past 37 boyfriends.
No doubt she will lose some fans if she starts making political statements. How many? There are so many of her fans who are hardcore that the number may be small, while the number of right-leaning fans who start questioning why they’re right-leaning may be significant.

Really it's this.

Tom

Yep.
Tom
That is a bit strong. He stepped away and looked elsewhere, while people that Roger Stone pretended to be normal commoners and storm Palm Beach County's Canvassing Board. 2000 wasn't fraud as much as trying to delay the recount. W or Gore won Florida by the slimmest of margins. A margin slimmer than margin of error in counting the vote it seemed (at least for Florida).
Usually if the vote count is within a certain very low percentage of votes, an automatic recount is triggered. If the vote count is within a slightly larger low percentage of votes cast, a candidate can request a recount. Or that’s how it works in my state. I know this because I was once involved as the representative of a local candidate for a local office. We could challenge votes if we ‘feli’ ir believed that one could not easily discern the intentions of the voter. This is when I learned that people who really want their candidate to win are sometimes less than 100% honest and are willing to challenge votes cast for the other candidate even if any reasonable person could see the intention of the voter. Fortunately, there was a clear winner, albeit by a very narrow margin and we did not have to go through whatever process was in place for challenged ballots. It would not have mattered if every challenged ballot was disallowed. There was a clear winner.

I lost what little respect I had for the representative of the other candidate. Don’t worry: I lost a certain amount of respect for my candidate the longer he remained in office. He was still the better candidate but yikes. All politics really are local.

Well good for her sticking it to right wing shitbags but damn her music is insipid horseshit.
Yeah, gotta agree. Where I swim, there's a lifeguard who plays an hour of selected Swift tracks, every day -- at a mercifully low decibel. So I've heard enough to know that it's mostly bright, uptempo pop that could be Corn Flakes commercial music (Shake It Off sounds just like that to me.) She does sorta suck. Still, if James Patterson can sell fifty trillion copies of cookie-cutter fiction, why shouldn't Tay get rich, too. Not only do I listen to mostly dead artists, but, if they're women singers, they have voices that would blow Tay off the stage -- from the old old days, Bessie Smith (there was a woman); Ma Rainey; moving up the decades, Mahalia Jackson, on up to Aretha and Etta, then Janis and, more recently, Tracy N.,Bonnie R., and Phoebe S. They have/had the pipes and the feeling for the blues. Taylor Swift? If you need bump music for Good Morning America, she's who to call.

Taylor Swift has amply demonstrated she is a shrewd businessperson, a smart resourceful young woman and an artist who knows her audience. I suspect she will end up just fine.

I don’t think she gives a rats ass about right wing blowback.
I have heard it said that her world tour will make > $1,000,000,000.
Don't think she will be worried about her future.

Back
Top Bottom