• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Right Wing Turns On Taylor Swift

Well good for her sticking it to right wing shitbags but damn her music is insipid horseshit.
Yeah, gotta agree. Where I swim, there's a lifeguard who plays an hour of selected Swift tracks, every day -- at a mercifully low decibel. So I've heard enough to know that it's mostly bright, uptempo pop that could be Corn Flakes commercial music (Shake It Off sounds just like that to me.) She does sorta suck. Still, if James Patterson can sell fifty trillion copies of cookie-cutter fiction, why shouldn't Tay get rich, too. Not only do I listen to mostly dead artists, but, if they're women singers, they have voices that would blow Tay off the stage -- from the old old days, Bessie Smith (there was a woman); Ma Rainey; moving up the decades, Mahalia Jackson, on up to Aretha and Etta, then Janis and, more recently, Tracy N.,Bonnie R., and Phoebe S. They have/had the pipes and the feeling for the blues. Taylor Swift? If you need bump music for Good Morning America, she's who to call.
Years ago in Melbourne the railways played Beethoven on the platforms at night to deter vandalism. Apparently it worked a little.
Perhaps Swift's music could be tried in some areas for similar purposes?
I much prefer Beethoven to Swift IMHO.

They exist, but historically, the young adult crowd votes blue-er. So more young people voting isn't generally a great thing for conservatives.
Really it's this.
Across the board, more eligible voters lean Blue. Young people in particular. But young people have extremely low turn out rates. They just don't vote.

Unfortunately, Blue voters tend to be drawn from low turn out demographics. If they voted as consistently as Red voters this country would be very different.
Tom
Jebus, had Ralph Nadar not run in 2000, or some Democrat designed a better ballot in Palm Beach County, this World could be very different.

Yep.
And the election was still so close that candidate Bush's brother, Governor Bush, had to resort to election fraud to deliver Bush's winning EC delegates.
Tom
That is a bit strong. He stepped away and looked elsewhere, while people that Roger Stone pretended to be normal commoners and storm Palm Beach County's Canvassing Board. 2000 wasn't fraud as much as trying to delay the recount. W or Gore won Florida by the slimmest of margins. A margin slimmer than margin of error in counting the vote it seemed (at least for Florida).
2000 shows why it would be a good reason to switch to runoff elections.

Just reading a few political analyses of election 2024. This will be the first election for Generation Z voters. Meanwhile older voters are dying of by 2 million a year. Generation Z is big. Even if the do not vote at as great a percentage as older voters, their sheer numbers will make them felt. Younger voters have little loyalty to politicians or parties. But are very issue oriented. Destroying Social Security. Medicare or Medjcaid is not playing well. Climate change legislation is important. Right wing culture war is not popular. Younger generations feel Democrats to be too ineffectual. Energizing them to vote is going to be a challenge.

Until recently I wouldn't know who Taylor Swift was if she sang me a song and jumped into my bed! The same goes for other celebrities who only became famous in recent decades.

When our family gathers to play a game in the evening, Youtube plays in the background. My daughter has her Youtube account trained to alternate among Taylor Swift and a few other favorites. Sometimes I jokingly grab the remote, say "Let's hear some 20th-century music," and pick ... Leonard Cohen's "Democracy is coming to the USA." The only 21st-century song I really like is Pharrell Williams' "Happy".

But this thread has opened my eyes! I've sent the links to my daughter; and Taylor Swift is my new heroine. But I'm afraid her father may be right. America's right-wing is so full of irrational bitterness and hatreds that Ms. Swift's life might be in jeopardy.

I still do like Leonard Cohen's song. I just wish I were as optimistic as he was in 1992.

Just reading a few political analyses of election 2024. This will be the first election for Generation Z voters. Meanwhile older voters are dying of by 2 million a year. Generation Z is big. Even if the do not vote at as great a percentage as older voters, their sheer numbers will make them felt. Younger voters have little loyalty to politicians or parties. But are very issue oriented. Destroying Social Security. Medicare or Medjcaid is not playing well. Climate change legislation is important. Right wing culture war is not popular. Younger generations feel Democrats to be too ineffectual. Energizing them to vote is going to be a challenge.

We were all young and idealistic once, complaining about how our parents were fucking everything up. As young adults we had that luxury. Then babies come along, marriage, the need for a job, voting for whomever and whatever puts a chicken in our pot. And as we get older and tire of getting up and going to work everyday we become cynical. We tend to remember the news about those getting something for nothing, those who want to take it instead of work for it. And we are resentful. We read these incidents as though they are a plague across the nation. We judge the world with our own eyes instead of evidence gathered far and wide. And we become our parents. We don't see it. Times change but generational attitudes remain the same. So it goes.

Repugs have always been against anything that increases voter turnout. My 25 year old niece is a Swift fan. I should bug her about voting.
Ramaswamy wants to raise the voting age to 25.

Can we cap voting age at 65 years old then?

I like this idea! Many old people care little about the future of young people; they just want the gummint to keep its hands off their SocSec checks.

And I say this as someone for whom age 65 is way back in the rear-view mirror.

Taylor Swift's Era Tour movie opened a day early and has sold out nation wide. Estimated at $100 millions + box office payoff. Movie goers are rowdy and enthusiastic. If Taylor can get this crowd to the voting booth, it is going to be a phenomena and a grand and wonderful thing.

Taylor Swift's Era Tour movie opened a day early and has sold out nation wide. Estimated at $100 millions + box office payoff. Movie goers are rowdy and enthusiastic. If Taylor can get this crowd to the voting booth, it is going to be a phenomena and a grand and wonderful thing.
And the tour itself has grossed an estimated $1 billion thus far, and is on track to hit several times that number, making it hands-down the most successful concert tour in history.

I'd hazard a guess that these numbers are precisely why right wingers are so freaked out. They love them some billionaires...so long as they're conservative billionaires. Old, white male conservative billionaires.

A liberal leaning woman under 35 billionaire? They're terrified...

Back
Top Bottom