• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Right Wing Turns On Taylor Swift

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Taylor Swift is a true musical phenomena. To date she has sold 114 million albums. Cheated of control of her own work, she has re-recodered her fisrt albums to regain control of her work. So very smart. Her concerts sell out nationwide. She is about to release an Era Tour movie for her many fans who can't afford scalper's prices to attend her show. Retaining control of her movie deal. She has a massive fan base of young women. Whether you likr her music or not, tens of milions do

Up to now, Taylor Swift has avoided politics. But now she is openly calling on her massive fan base to register and vote. And now far right pundits are beginning to attack her. The last thing the. GOP wants is hordes of young women voting at the polls. Swift does not strike me as somebody who will fold because right winged commentators attack. Stay tuned as this may get very interesting.

Poking around in Google a bit, Taylor Swift despises MAGA. She is going to go political. Being a major cultural force among young women, this could be a GOP problem in swing states.

And now, some numbers.

When Taylor Swift speaks, her fans listen.

On Tuesday morning, the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote. Afterward, the website she directed her fans to — the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org — recorded more than 35,000 registrations, according to the organization.
"Our site was averaging 13,000 users every 30 minutes – a number that Taylor Swift would be proud of," Hailey said, referencing Swift's affinity for the number 13.

The last thing the. GOP wants is hordes of young women voting at the polls. Swift does not strike me as somebody who will fold
Virtually everything I know about Taylor Swift came from an episode of "Family Guy".
It wasn't flattering.

I'm good with this.
Tom

Wikipedia. Taylor Swift has sold 114 million albums. One of the most successful musicians ever. Picking a fight with somebody that has that many rabid fans ain't smart. Forget Family Guy. When elections in swing states can be won by 10,000 votes, Taylor Swift is going to be a major player. Perhaps other major women entertainer stars will join her.

Taylor Swift is a true musical phenomena. To date she has sold 114 million albums. Cheated of control of her own work, she has re-recodered her fisrt albums to regain control of her work. So very smart. Her concerts sell out nationwide. She is about to release an Era Tour movie for her many fans who can't afford scalper's prices to attend her show. Retaining control of her movie deal. She has a massive fan base of young women. Whether you likr her music or not, tens of milions do

Up to now, Taylor Swift has avoided politics. But now she is openly calling on her massive fan base to register and vote. And now far right pundits are beginning to attack her. The last thing the. GOP wants is hordes of young women voting at the polls. Swift does not strike me as somebody who will fold because right winged commentators attack. Stay tuned as this may get very interesting.

Can confirm. Before she left the country music world for pop, I got to spend a few minutes talking to Ms. Swift, and know a few people who worked for her former record label. She is alarmingly smart, very good at marketing, and - say what you will about her music - she has made herself (and my friends) a lot of money. She is bright, talented, and absolutely in control of her image and career. I would not want to piss her off.

Now that she has spoken up about politics, some right wingers are accusing her of being a cultural warrior. Tears of rage. Boycotts to follow I am sure.

She is bright, talented, and absolutely in control of her image and career. I would not wan
Picking a fight with somebody that has that many rabid fans ain't smart. Forget Family Guy. When elections in swing states can be won by 10,000 votes, Taylor Swift is going to be a major player.
It occurs to me upon rereading.
I wasn't very clear with "I'm good with this".

I'm good with Tay-Tay marshalling her celebrity power, just like others have done. I may not agree with everything she says, probably not.

But hey, Trump did it. She's less corrupt than he is(nearly everyone is) and she's got as much right to get it on as anybody else.
Go gurl!
Tom

Smart entertainers avoid taking sides in politics, especially if they have lots of fans in both parties, which she likely does. Once she starts trashing a political party, its likely she's going to lose fans and sell less records and concert tickets. On the other hand, she has so much coin in the bank, maybe she just doesn't care at this point in her career.

That said, I think I know maybe two songs by her, both of which she dumps on two of her past 37 boyfriends.

Smart entertainers avoid taking sides in politics, especially if they have lots of fans in both parties, which she likely does. Once she starts trashing a political party, its likely she's going to lose fans and sell less records and concert tickets.
In what way is
the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote
taking sides or trashing a political party?

Maybe the problem is that one party prefers that people don't vote?
Tom

Smart entertainers avoid taking sides in politics, especially if they have lots of fans in both parties, which she likely does. Once she starts trashing a political party, its likely she's going to lose fans and sell less records and concert tickets.
In what way is
the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote
taking sides or trashing a political party?

Maybe the problem is that one party prefers that people don't vote?
Tom

And also this from Cheerful Charlie:

Poking around in Google a bit, Taylor Swift despises MAGA. She is going to go political.

Smart entertainers avoid taking sides in politics, especially if they have lots of fans in both parties, which she likely does. Once she starts trashing a political party, its likely she's going to lose fans and sell less records and concert tickets. On the other hand, she has so much coin in the bank, maybe she just doesn't care at this point in her career.

That said, I think I know maybe two songs by her, both of which she dumps on two of her past 37 boyfriends.
I may actually have to buy some Taylor Swift records. Or maybe I can borrow some of TSwizzle's.

People do mimic and follow cultural figures. People derive a personal identity from Swift.

She is a 'cultural warrior' in a sense. She and other pop culture icons promote a way of dressiness, behaving, and speaking.

The term for Swft I grew up with would be 'trashy'. Trashy is the new normal.

I’m not really certain what the fuss is about. She talked about voting Democratic some years ago. Which should not be much of a surprise, to be honest. I mean, I know The Chicks have never recovered from the fallout after they dared criticize a sitting POTUS. Jane Fonda is still reviled by some for visiting Hanoi over 50 years ago.

I know the standard has been to insist women not criticize the (white) male power structure but that doesn’t mean much to the young women of today, who see in Swift a cooler older ( or not) sister or cousin who sings to their lives, telling their stories.

This is an almost exclusively male forum so I don’t think you all realize how utterly absent women’s voices have been in …society. I’ve mentioned before how common it has been to look at the movies playing in our local movie theater and see not a single film of the 6 or 8 playing that featured a female actress. And the outrage when a film dares to be predominantly about female experiences, or a female POV that is not centered around supporting if not idolizing men. Shit, it’s considered a fucking gimmick! For reference see the thread about Barbie ( the movie) or the Ghostbusters film featuring a female cast and a male actor in an overtly sexualized role, in parody of countless films which featured women in exactly this same way.

Nearly 92% of the inductees into the Rock N Roll Hall of fame are male. Most music producers, bookers, dj’s etc. are/were male. Most films are written by/for makes, cast by males, directed, produced by males about maybe, if we’re being generous, 3 themes centered in male fantasies, heavily imbued with violence.

I am still startled on those rare occasions when I turn on a newscast ( granted, almost always PBS) and see the full panel female newscasters. Pleased but startled. It’s hard to explain how it is for a woman my age to see even tiny bits of the world not male dominated. Some months ago, I had a minor eye surgery. My surgeon was a woman abd so we’re all the people in the operating theater. They’re making casual chit chat with me before they administer the anesthesia and hearing where I’m from, got excited because a few went to school at the university in my town. I said me too and they asked me what area and when I told them cell and molecular biology and biochemistry, they…squealed in delight at having a fellow science nerd in the room.

You cannot imagine what that feels like to someone who heard constantly when she was growing up that boys are just so much better at math and science—and even my own father would look at me when I talked about what kind of career I wanted and tell me that was fine but someday I’d get married and have kids and have to put all that on he back burner. Dad was my #1 cheerleader, btw when I earned all the top grades for everything and all awards for science. Women were just assumed to put their own ambitions, their own wants and needs aside in favor of whatever their husband wanted and their kids needed.

For those of you who have not yet figured it out: It’s a brand new day. Girls aren’t interested in songs about how they neeeed to get him back. Nope. They don’t need him or those sad songs anyway. Nope, they happily listen to songs that tell him to fuck right off if he can’t appreciate their awesomeness.
And Taylor Swift is just the girl for them.

She is wicked smart and not coy about it. She speaks up and out. And they listen because she’s not just telling her truth but theirs as well.

On Tuesday morning, the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote. Afterward, the website she directed her fans to — the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org — recorded more than 35,000 registrations, according to the organization.
272 million followers! 3.4% of the world's population. (10x the size of Australia's population.)
If she can encourage her US followers to register to vote that is a good step.

Back
Top Bottom