• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RussiaGate

...But Boeing and Seattle? Are they safe? Oh, right. Phew. Yes.

I worked there for a quarter of a century, so I know the company fairly well. Boeing is spread all over the country, but Seattle mostly a site devoted to commercial manufacturing. Space and military are located more in California, St. Louis, and Alabama. The headquarters is Chicago. Trump, of course, would be ignorant of such things, so he might genuinely have thought that Russian spies were stealing military secrets in Seattle.

The main problem, as far as security goes, has little to do with physical location. It has to do with penetration of the internal computer systems, which were probably thoroughly compromised many years ago. Boeing went through a period where it did a great deal of business in Russia (and still does with China). It hired Russian engineers and had important facilities in Russia. As the US and Russia grew apart, the company had to divest itself of that strategy, although it remains very heavily invested in China. Russian and Chinese engineers were very good, cheap labor for the company.

I have no doubt that Russia and China can penetrate any system in the company, although the security is now much better than it used to be. When I worked there, there were frequent phishing attempts sent to me, which I reported. However, they were doubtless successful in a company with so many people, all of them with accounts on the network. Worse yet, China is one of Boeing's main customers, so that country is probably a much larger threat to security than Russia. I would be very surprised if there were no employees within the company who were stealing data and strategic plans and passing them along to foreign governments.

Government knows DNC hacker was Russian intel officer: report

U.S. investigators have reportedly discovered that "Guccifer 2.0," the hacker who claimed credit for a breach of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) during the 2016 election, revealed himself as a Russian intelligence operative.

The Daily Beast reports that U.S. investigators identified the hacker as a Moscow-based Russian intelligence operative after the hacker failed to activate a virtual private networking (VPN) service meant to obscure the operative's location before logging on.
http://thehill.com/policy/technolog...s-dnc-hacker-was-russian-intel-officer-report
I find it somewhat hard to believe that they would be so careless.

Government knows DNC hacker was Russian intel officer: report

U.S. investigators have reportedly discovered that "Guccifer 2.0," the hacker who claimed credit for a breach of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) during the 2016 election, revealed himself as a Russian intelligence operative.

The Daily Beast reports that U.S. investigators identified the hacker as a Moscow-based Russian intelligence operative after the hacker failed to activate a virtual private networking (VPN) service meant to obscure the operative's location before logging on.
http://thehill.com/policy/technolog...s-dnc-hacker-was-russian-intel-officer-report
I find it somewhat hard to believe that they would be so careless.

Well Barbie it´s Russia that we are talking about and the Russian government is not staffed by smart people. If Russia was ruled by smarties then their GDP would maybe be larger than Brazil´s and you guys would actually produce anything other than petroleum. That it is done in a stupid way that shows lack of forethought is pretty much a sign that it was done by the failed state called Russia.

Well Barbie it´s Russia that we are talking about and the Russian government is not staffed by smart people. If Russia was ruled by smarties then their GDP would maybe be larger than Brazil´s and you guys would actually produce anything other than petroleum. That it is done in a stupid way that shows lack of forethought is pretty much a sign that it was done by the failed state called Russia.

I don't think that the Russian government is staffed by stupid people, just fairly average people. People just try to survive and prosper in the places that they find themselves. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time, and this Russian intelligence employee seems to have just made a careless mistake. Despite barbos' skepticism, it happens even to smart people who try to be careful.

Trump just showed that he always defers to Putin and does whatever he says by expelling 60 Russian diplomats.

Don't worry, Jason - he got Uncle Vlad's blessing for that. Vlad still prefers to keep his puppet vs. some unknown quantity, and didn't want Cheato's opposition to the collective decision of 20+ supposed allies to hasten Cheato's departure.

It's not like teh puppet imposed sanctions on more of Vlad's buddies, or did anything that would actually hurt his Dear Uncle. It's not like Vlad could respond in-kind to something like that, y'know.
You can rest easy.

This is impressive. If he does expel them it is proof he is their puppet, but if he doesn't expel them it is proof he is their puppet. We've reached conspiracy theory levels here.

I don't think that the Russian government is staffed by stupid people, just fairly average people. People just try to survive and prosper in the places that they find themselves. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time, and this Russian intelligence employee seems to have just made a careless mistake. Despite barbos' skepticism, it happens even to smart people who try to be careful.

You are wading into an ongoing tête-à-tête between a Russian and a Finn. Just a heads-up.

You are wading into an ongoing tête-à-tête between a Russian and a Finn. Just a heads-up.

Bring vodka.

Bring a LOT of vodka.

Not a Finn, I am fine with resident Finn in here. That individual is from Iceland, land of world renowned bankers.

If he does expel them it is proof he is their puppet, but if he doesn't expel them it is proof he is their puppet.

This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who asks a woman, “Would you sleep with me for a million dollars?”
She says, “Absolutely!”
So the guy then asks, “Would you sleep with me for five bucks?”
Offended, the woman says, “Five bucks!? What do you think I am?”
He says, “My dear lady, we’ve already established what you are, now we’re just haggling over the price.”

Some relatively decent news: It looks like Yulia Skripal is recovering. Her father is still in critical, but stable, condition.

Also, the latest on how Putin's agents administered the poison: The highest concentration of it was on the doorknob of their home, not their car. It looks like they didn't realize that the Skripals would leave their home after being exposed to it, so the "collateral damage" to UK citizens was probably unanticipated. They thought that this would be a clever way to send their message. If Putin had been personally involved in the planning, he might not have been quite as careless. The people who planned this are probably going to face some consequences for triggering this international embarrassment.

See: Russian spy: Yulia Skripal 'improving rapidly'

Some relatively decent news: It looks like Yulia Skripal is recovering. Her father is still in critical, but stable, condition.

Also, the latest on how Putin's agents administered the poison: The highest concentration of it was on the doorknob of their home, not their car. It looks like they didn't realize that the Skripals would leave their home after being exposed to it, so the "collateral damage" to UK citizens was probably unanticipated. They thought that this would be a clever way to send their message. If Putin had been personally involved in the planning, he might not have been quite as careless. The people who planned this are probably going to face some consequences for triggering this international embarrassment.

See: Russian spy: Yulia Skripal 'improving rapidly'

In Russia, you don't turn doorknob. Doorknob turns you!

Back
Top Bottom