• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Science says Bible and Quran are equivalent

All old commands or laws come into place naturally to any who know and love God.

WTF does this even mean? Are you saying that you understand God better than God does himself. So well that you know which bits God misswrote and know what he really meant when he wrote the vile passages? Presumptuous!!!

BTW, the other day I had a conversation with a Swedish Christian who made the first sensible argument I've ever heard a Christian make. She called herself "new Christian". Christians in these parts are like a rare bird. She said that she's aware of all the immorality and horrible things in the Bible. She says that the Bible was written by humans which means that it of course includes human idiocies. She says that it's not the Bible the matters but the "Christian tradition". Whatever she felt Christianity was to her is what Christianity is. 0% rational or logical requirements. And no need for it. That freed herself up to have whatever moral beliefs she wanted. She didn't need to defend anything in the Bible. She could cherry pick at her hearts content, or twist and misinterpret whatever in any way. She said this type of Christianity is open to atheists as well. She's a member for the sense of community.

No, she didn't make me convert. Nor do I find this kind of faith particularly attractive. But I couldn't argue against it. What I liked about it is that this is the first Christian I've talked to who is honest about her faith.
She sounds like most of those that I know who call them Christians. They apparently just like the word Jesus but not the real teachings of the Bible. Their belief system is really more akin to Buddhism than any of the Abrahamic religions. I don't know if they don't realize this or if they just like to call themselves Christian even though they know they aren't.

If I change the actual words into what I want that's manipulation. Doing both all while clamping ing not to for your own false point is being dishonest

Where have I done that? Please give an example.

What, no examples?

Just make claims and allegations but not bother to show that that what you say is true? Is that it?

If so, that's poor form, that is an example of dishonesty.

Where have I done that? Please give an example.

What, no examples?

Just make claims and allegations but not bother to show that that what you say is true? Is that it?

Poor form, and dishonest to come out and say you are done speaking a bot a curtain thing and then be done with it? I'm not here to sling mud, and I'm trying not to.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

What, no examples?

Poor form, and dishonest to come out and say you are done speaking a bot a curtain thing and then be done with it? I'm not here to sling mud, and I'm trying not to.

Unless you can back your claims and allegations with evidence....that I altered the words to change meanings of the Quran quotes in order to mislead and/or manipulate in some way, you are making false allegations and claims, you are slinging mud.

Prove that what you say is true. Don't just claim it.

Unless you can back your claims and allegations with evidence....that I altered the words to change meanings of the Quran quotes in order to mislead and/or manipulate in some way, you are making false allegations and claims, you are slinging mud.

I already proved it by posting the actual verses in context, without addition or changing the words. Perhaps you just copied and pasted what you posted without alteration from where ever you found it, but it isn't what is in the Qur'an. If you think I'm being dishonest then review your posts, with what you claim is from the Qur'an, then review my post with what has been copied directly from the Qur'an.

In the spirit of continued productive conversation I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and just hope what you did was an honest mistake. I advise you to check and verify your sources next time. Perhaps it is your source who changed the verses and you just copied them. That wouldn't make you a liar, just really biased and or gullible. Regardless, my point has been this whole time that what you posted as if from the Qur'an, is not accurate. I apologize for offending you, and really would like to continue conversation about the topic, but have no interest in continuing this little personal argument.

I have stated my points and apologized for alleging that you yourself were being manipulative as opposed to manipulated. That's all I can do. There is no point in me showing you things that you yourself posted.

Can we continue leveled unbiased conversation?

Peace friend

WTF does this even mean? Are you saying that you understand God better than God does himself. So well that you know which bits God misswrote and know what he really meant when he wrote the vile passages? Presumptuous!!!

BTW, the other day I had a conversation with a Swedish Christian who made the first sensible argument I've ever heard a Christian make. She called herself "new Christian". Christians in these parts are like a rare bird. She said that she's aware of all the immorality and horrible things in the Bible. She says that the Bible was written by humans which means that it of course includes human idiocies. She says that it's not the Bible the matters but the "Christian tradition". Whatever she felt Christianity was to her is what Christianity is. 0% rational or logical requirements. And no need for it. That freed herself up to have whatever moral beliefs she wanted. She didn't need to defend anything in the Bible. She could cherry pick at her hearts content, or twist and misinterpret whatever in any way. She said this type of Christianity is open to atheists as well. She's a member for the sense of community.

No, she didn't make me convert. Nor do I find this kind of faith particularly attractive. But I couldn't argue against it. What I liked about it is that this is the first Christian I've talked to who is honest about her faith.
She sounds like most of those that I know who call them Christians. They apparently just like the word Jesus but not the real teachings of the Bible. Their belief system is really more akin to Buddhism than any of the Abrahamic religions. I don't know if they don't realize this or if they just like to call themselves Christian even though they know they aren't.

Why aren't they real Christians? Who gets to decide what a genuine Christian is? Remember that it's all just make believe anyway. What possible difference could it make?

Also I don't western white washing of Buddhism. Lots of shitty values in that one as well.

I already proved it by posting the actual verses in context, without addition or changing the words. Perhaps you just copied and pasted what you posted without alteration from where ever you found it, but it isn't what is in the Qur'an. ... Perhaps it is your source who changed the verses and you just copied them. That wouldn't make you a liar, just really biased and or gullible. Regardless, my point has been this whole time that what you posted as if from the Qur'an, is not accurate.
Um, you know the Qur'an was not originally written in English, don't you? You know that at the time Muhammad's words were first written down Arabic had no symbols for vowels, don't you? You know there are no living native speakers of 7th-century Arabic, don't you? When a translator reads an Arabic word, he doesn't know for sure what that word meant in the 7th century; he doesn't even know whether he's got the right word or whether the thousand-year-ago Arab scholar who added the vowel symbols guessed wrong; and there's nobody he can ask who has first-hand knowledge of what he speaks.

So when you find one English translation of a passage and DBT finds a different English translation of that passage, there is no way for either of you to know for sure whose version is closer in meaning to what Muhammad had in mind. You are simply posting some expert's opinion, and DBT is simply posting some other expert's opinion. For all you know, what you posted as if from the Qur'an might not be accurate and you might be the one who is biased and gullible.

I already proved it by posting the actual verses in context, without addition or changing the words. Perhaps you just copied and pasted what you posted without alteration from where ever you found it, but it isn't what is in the Qur'an. ... Perhaps it is your source who changed the verses and you just copied them. That wouldn't make you a liar, just really biased and or gullible. Regardless, my point has been this whole time that what you posted as if from the Qur'an, is not accurate.
Um, you know the Qur'an was not originally written in English, don't you? You know that at the time Muhammad's words were first written down Arabic had no symbols for vowels, don't you? You know there are no living native speakers of 7th-century Arabic, don't you? When a translator reads an Arabic word, he doesn't know for sure what that word meant in the 7th century; he doesn't even know whether he's got the right word or whether the thousand-year-ago Arab scholar who added the vowel symbols guessed wrong; and there's nobody he can ask who has first-hand knowledge of what he speaks.

So when you find one English translation of a passage and DBT finds a different English translation of that passage, there is no way for either of you to know for sure whose version is closer in meaning to what Muhammad had in mind. You are simply posting some expert's opinion, and DBT is simply posting some other expert's opinion. For all you know, what you posted as if from the Qur'an might not be accurate and you might be the one who is biased and gullible.
That's why it's important not to use bits and fragments from partial sites predisposed to biased opinion. Do you think I base my studies on the words of followers of Islam? No. Likewise, I don't get my info from any anti Islam perspective either. When I inquired about the core beliefs of Islam I was told to read the Quran as it was their core scripture. I searched and reviewed versions with English translations that I could download based on the descriptions. How do I know it is an accurate translation? Well, no Muslim has ever corrected any quotes from it or posted different representations of them in English. It has the original language or at least the modern version in script and audible. Not proof by any means but it would be kinda weird for it to be audible and written in readily observable form in many different languages and still be completely different writings.

But someone who has their own motives can easily read the English translation and then from it make their own interpretation based on their bias and or motive. I lol to think I am not subject to that, but I am human. That's one of the reasons I don't just read the Quran or scripture, but try to read multiple core scriptures from other faiths as well. The teachings of God span the whole earth and they are not contradictory.

Of course, to others this could be Sen ad opinion or speculation I suppose.

Peace

I already proved it by posting the actual verses in context, without addition or changing the words. Perhaps you just copied and pasted what you posted without alteration from where ever you found it, but it isn't what is in the Qur'an. If you think I'm being dishonest then review your posts, with what you claim is from the Qur'an, then review my post with what has been copied directly from the Qur'an.

What you say has no merit.

You are the one who manipulates and rationalizes to the point of outright deception.

You keep making claims that do not represent the actual the information, sentiment and meaning contained in these verses.

Take this verse for an example...context cannot change the meaning of ''I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers" - and turn it into something that expresses mercy, tolerance and forgiveness of 'sins' - which would entail the very opposite of what this verse and others like it happen to say.

Verse (3:56) - English Translation

''Welcome to the Quranic Arabic Corpus, an annotated linguistic resource for the Holy Quran. This page shows seven parallel translations in English for the 56th verse of chapter 3 (sūrat āl ʿim'rān). Click on the Arabic text to below to see word by word details of the verse's morphology.

Sahih International: And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers."

Pickthall: As for those who disbelieve I shall chastise them with a heavy chastisement in the world and the Hereafter; and they will have no helpers.

Yusuf Ali: "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Shakir: Then as to those who disbelieve, I will chastise them with severe chastisement in this world and the hereafter, and they shall have no helpers.

Muhammad Sarwar: I shall sternly punish the unbelievers in this life and in the life to come and no one will help them.

Mohsin Khan: "As to those who disbelieve, I will punish them with a severe torment in this world and in the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers."

Arberry: As for the unbelievers, I will chastise them with a terrible chastisement in this world and the next; they shall have no helpers.'

As anyone who has at least some degree of objectivity can see, no matter what the translation, the essential sentiment and meaning remains true, intolerance of unbelievers and the willingness, even eagerness, to severely punish those who do not hold the faith.

Last edited:

You are the one who manipulates and rationalizes to the point of outright deception.

You keep making claims that do not represent the actual the information, sentiment and meaning contained in these verses.

Take this verse for an example...context cannot change the meaning of ''I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers" - and turn it into something that expresses mercy, tolerance and forgiveness of 'sins' - which would entail the very opposite of what this verse and others like it happen to say.

''Welcome to the Quranic Arabic Corpus, an annotated linguistic resource for the Holy Quran. This page shows seven parallel translations in English for the 56th verse of chapter 3 (sūrat āl ʿim'rān). Click on the Arabic text to below to see word by word details of the verse's morphology.

Sahih International: And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers."

Pickthall: As for those who disbelieve I shall chastise them with a heavy chastisement in the world and the Hereafter; and they will have no helpers.

Yusuf Ali: "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Shakir: Then as to those who disbelieve, I will chastise them with severe chastisement in this world and the hereafter, and they shall have no helpers.

Muhammad Sarwar: I shall sternly punish the unbelievers in this life and in the life to come and no one will help them.

Mohsin Khan: "As to those who disbelieve, I will punish them with a severe torment in this world and in the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers."

Arberry: As for the unbelievers, I will chastise them with a terrible chastisement in this world and the next; they shall have no helpers.'

As anyone who has at least some degree of objectivity can see, no matter what the translation, the essential sentiment and meaning remains true, intolerance of unbelievers and the willingness, even eagerness, to severely punish those who do not hold the faith.

You're ignoring the context. These lines refer to something I just made up that makes this shit sound like the opposite of what it actually says.

You're ignoring the context. These lines refer to something I just made up that makes this shit sound like the opposite of what it actually says.
You can't take a single verse and think you understand the meaning of the chapter from that single verse.

3:56 is about Jesus. No matter how many different translations you list, that chapter is still about Jesus, and hypocritical "followers" are the unbelievers.

3:56 is about Jesus. No matter how many different translations you list, that chapter is still about Jesus, and hypocritical "followers" are the unbelievers.

Even if you narrow it down to that context, the intolerance and vindictiveness remains true. Context does not alter the obvious intolerance and absence of mercy expressed in this verse and others like it, and turn them into the opposite, tolerance, forgiveness and mercy.

Sorry, your rationale doesn't work.

Even if you narrow it down to that context, the intolerance and vindictiveness remains true. Context does not alter the obvious intolerance and absence of mercy expressed in this verse and others like it, and turn them into the opposite, tolerance, forgiveness and mercy.

So you're conflating intolerance of God with those knowingly responsible for the worst atrocities of mankind with amoral traits. Got it. Tolerance and morality are not synonymous.

Nor is nonbeliever and ignorant.

So according to your "logic" tolerance is morality? And this is another reason I'm not interested in speaking with people who can't even take things seriously.

Peace

So you're conflating intolerance of God with those knowingly responsible for the worst atrocities of mankind with amoral traits. Got it. Tolerance and morality are not synonymous.

The verse I quoted says nothing about atrocities.

It specifically defines non belief in the teachings of Islam as being the punishable transgression. You are adding elements that are not even mentioned in the verse as the means to justify the intolerance of non belief displayed in the verse.

So according to your "logic" tolerance is morality? And this is another reason I'm not interested in speaking with people who can't even take things seriously.

You yourself made the claim that Allah is merciful.

In order to be merciful one must be prepared tolerate and forgive the transgressor. You cannot forgive and be merciful if you cannot find the tolerance to accept that there are those who do not see the teachings of Islam as being a God inspired work.

After Muhammad had settled in Medina, He saw himself as a prophet in the Biblical tradition, but the conflict between himself and his new religion and the Jews of Medina reached a boiling point.

As the Jews Medina did not accept Muhammad's new religion, they in turn were rejected by Muhammed, consequently the situation reached the point of violence....hence the verses in regard to the punishment of unbelievers.

Clearly politics of power and position in relation to conflicting religious beliefs, rather than anything inspired by a Higher Being, even if such a One existed.

You can't take a single verse and think you understand the meaning of the chapter from that single verse.

What was it Jesus said about throwing stones in glass houses?

What was it Jesus said about throwing stones in glass houses?
Don't know that he ever mentioned a glass house.

He did say who is without sin cast the first stone though. He also said judge not lest ye be judged yourself.

I'm not judging or condemning you friend.

I look forward to my own judgement.

Peace

And no reasonable person can ignore very explicit verses that are directly contrary to what they want to believe and expect to understand the full intent of the author.

Last edited:
I've read both the Bible and the Quran (several translations). When comparing them I used a variety of metrics and I couldn't find any relative difference. They might as well have been the same book.

As it turns out, it wasn't just my opinion. Here's a textual analysis where simple word counts and expressions have simply been tallied.

http://odintext.com/blog/textanalysisbible2of3/

Whatever argument you have for relative moral merits of Islam vs Christianity you've got to find that difference some place else than their religious texts.

The more you know

Of course there are differences.

For example, in the Bible, Jesus caused an earthquake that mysteriously is not mentioned any place other than the Bible. The Koran on the other hand insists that Mohammed split the moon in two, but we can't find any evidence of that either. Also, Mohammed flew a winged horse into outer space and discouraged the killing of "trees with green leaves" while Jesus merrily committed tree-icide during a bizarre tantrum over figs. See? There are differences! :D

Nor is nonbeliever and ignorant.

Peace

Yes. Tolerance for differing thoughts and opinions is a component of Morality. Not harming a person (especially not 'eternally') is also a component of Morality.
The speaker in those statements is expressing an immoral sentiment.

to ask if they are saying that tolerance IS morality is a childish response... childish because it belays a simplistic view of complex social constructs.

One cannot escape the fact that all of the religious writings of that age is filled with unacceptably atrocious sentiments. Just because the context of the surrounding text might have been about some kind act, or some notion of positive morality, does not excuse the evil sentiment.

I can write a story about charity and kindness to a group of people, and then include a death threat to all other groups. Would you excuse the death threat because is was shroud in kindness to a handful of people? of course you wouldn't.. .unless you are a psychopath, of course.

Back
Top Bottom