• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Mitt Romney just opined that Orange would win the GOP nomination in a landslide if the Orange runs in 2024. That may be so but will he win the office? He won't unless a lot of people change their votes. Orange might win if he changed his behavior but Hell isn't likely to freeze over either.

So much is going to happen between now and then that I can't imagine a prediction like that being worth squat. Especially given the turmoil in the GOP.

In fact, I suspect that what Romney said was more like "IF the 2024 campaign were happening now...", which is different. And I'm sure that is true.
Tom

Mitt Romney just opined that Orange would win the GOP nomination in a landslide if the Orange runs in 2024. That may be so but will he win the office? He won't unless a lot of people change their votes. Orange might win if he changed his behavior but Hell isn't likely to freeze over either.

So much is going to happen between now and then that I can't imagine a prediction like that being worth squat. Especially given the turmoil in the GOP.

In fact, I suspect that what Romney said was more like "IF the 2024 campaign were happening now...", which is different. And I'm sure that is true.
Tom

My prediction is that, unless the Republicans lose hugely at all levels in your 2022 midterms, Trump will win the nomination, likely pick Cruz or Hawley as VP nominee, and then Trump will win the general election, particularly if the Democratic nominee is Harris and not Biden. All this depends on whether or not dementia develops to blatantly obvious levels in Trump and/ or Biden.

Tom

My prediction is that, unless the Republicans lose hugely at all levels in your 2022 midterms, Trump will win the nomination, likely pick Cruz or Hawley as VP nominee, and then Trump will win the general election, particularly if the Democratic nominee is Harris and not Biden. All this depends on whether or not dementia develops to blatantly obvious levels in Trump and/ or Biden.

Like I said, so much is going to happen between now and then that such predictions aren't worth squat.

Trump has a lot of enemies in the GOP alone. And is facing a bunch of state charges. Politics makes strange bedfellows.

Now that Trump doesn't have the power or protection of the presidency, anything could happen.

Imagine this.
The morning that Trump is scheduled to announce his candidacy in the 2024 presidential campaign, Georgia gets an extradition order to face vote fraud allegations. On Trump's way to the rally, he gets the perp walk. Complete with video and transcripts.

Trump has made a lot of powerful enemies across the political landscape. People who can get things done while maintaining a veneer of respectability.

Or at least plausible deniability...

Tom

I can more easily imagine Trump getting the nomination, losing in a landslide, holding a massive rally and inviting guns this time. The assault on the capitol building succeeds and Trump becomes king.

I can more easily imagine Trump getting the nomination, losing in a landslide, holding a massive rally and inviting guns this time. The assault on the capitol building succeeds and Trump becomes king.

I can more easily imagine Trump suffering the "Death of a Thousand Cuts".

No GOP politician is going to publicly oppose Trumpistas, because that would be political suicide. But backstage, in the smoke filled rooms, lots is happening that isn't going to be reported. Cruz and McConnell and such are covering their own asses with the billionaire donors.

The Trump brand is collapsing in value and there are plenty of ways to sell short.
Tom

The Georgia perp walk wouldn't hurt Lardboy. Who needs transcripts? We've already heard the tape. Trump has epitomized and carried out pure evil. It is hard to imagine what he could do that would be so blatantly awful that the base would leave him. That was the basis of a fake game show on SNL a few years back. But, as #143 also notes, predictions three years out mean squat.

That's kind of add IMHO, since he has already survived a million "cuts".

I'm not sure what you meant.

Did you mean "odd IMHO", or "ADD IMHO?"
It's hard to tell, sometimes.

But I don't think Trump has suffered many cuts in his life. Nothing like a million. He can always hire someone else to take them. Like Cohen, as an example.
Tom

Except there wouldn't be nearly as much inside help.

Besides, I expect him to be in jail in 2024.

I'm not sure what you meant.

Did you mean "odd IMHO", or "ADD IMHO?"
It's hard to tell, sometimes.

Sorry, Tom - typo; s/b "that's kind of odd"
But I don't think Trump has suffered many cuts in his life. Nothing like a million. He can always hire someone else to take them. Like Cohen, as an example.
Tom

That's a good point. But he has been hit hard enough to knock most politicians right out of the box - Hollywood Access tapes for instance - and not suffered so much as a blip in his popular support. Cohen went to jail, but Cheato was named co-conspirator INDIVIDUAL-1 in the same indictment, yet ... no consequence.

I don't expect that, sadly. He will flee the country before letting himself be incarcerated.
As far as inside help, I expect he - or rather, his Nazi Party - will have even more, and more overt help unless the Dems can round up a bunch more Senate seats in 2022. I can see a point coming where the Nazi Party's biggest ace card is playing victim, and every step taken by Dems to forestall a violent takeover in 2024 will constitute "persecution", serving to harden and build support.

Yeah, I expected him to be out of the running by the Iowa Caucus in 2016. The world doesn't operate the same for this guy.

Here's a fun idea.

A video showing the GOP convention in 2024. They've just nominated the Cruz/Ryan ticket.

Trump sends his minions with flags and gallows to the Republican Convention.

Fukkin A Joey.

Tom

Tom

I agree that 2022 is the key, but I think the Republicans lose badly in 2022 without Trump on the ticket. Trump's base won't turn out, and we will have a repeat of the Georgia runoff, only worse. The only thing that I think has a chance of swaying things back in the Republican direction are the voter suppression efforts going on in the States. Hopefully the new voting rights measures that will be introduced at the Federal level can make it through in time, and things don't have to go to SCOTUS, as I don't trust the current SCOTUS to block the suppression efforts, or uphold any new federal laws designed to block those efforts.

I agree that 2022 is the key, but I think the Republicans lose badly in 2022 without Trump on the ticket. Trump's base won't turn out, and we will have a repeat of the Georgia runoff, only worse. The only thing that I think has a chance of swaying things back in the Republican direction are the voter suppression efforts going on in the States. Hopefully the new voting rights measures that will be introduced at the Federal level can make it through in time, and things don't have to go to SCOTUS, as I don't trust the current SCOTUS to block the suppression efforts, or uphold any new federal laws designed to block those efforts.

Trump won't be on the ballot in 2022 unless he decides to run for the House or Senate...

Trump won't be on the ballot in 2022 unless he decides to run for the House or Senate...

I don't find that very likely, therefor I think my point stands that Trump will not be on the ballot, so his base will not turn out.

And in the same manner.
If anything good happens, thank Trump.
If anything bad happens, it's Obama's/Biden's/the Media's fault.

....just like the last 4 years

I agree that 2022 is the key, but I think the Republicans lose badly in 2022 without Trump on the ticket.

I wish I were so confident.
I understand what you're saying. But Trump is not a politician. He's never won an election. He's a master media manipulator. He could be the GOP kingmaker in 2022.
I sincerely hope that his past crimes catch up with him, now that he doesn't have the protection of the White House. Like trying to force the Georgia election officials to throw the election, a crime he clearly did commit.

Keeping the focus on his well documented crimes will keep him from manipulating the media for his lying friends like Cruz and Marjorie Taylor and wheel chair boy. As his media influence wanes, so will the support from people like that. And his low information, short memory, base will also forget about him.

He will sink back into the media muck from which he emerged. This can be accomplished before the 2022 election, if he is studiously ignored by people who want the best for the USA.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom