• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
'That's why we have an Insurrection Act' - Aug 07, 2023
In late 2020, when it was clear that he had lost, Trump started spreading lies that the election was fraudulent, despite being told by his own advisors that there was no basis for believing this. A Trump campaign advisor complained about having to defend “conspiracy shit beamed down from the mothership”.
Then getting into fake-electors schemes. After describing Mike Pence's refusal to go along with fake electors,
However, not everyone in Trump’s circle was so principled. The most hair-raising line of the indictment is a transcript of a conversation between White House deputy counsel Patrick Philbin and a person identified as “Co-conspirator #4″—widely believed to be Jeffrey Clark, a Trump crony in the Justice Department.

Philbin argued that if Trump succeeded with his scheme, there would be riots in every major American city. Clark/Co-conspirator 4 said:

“…that’s why there’s an Insurrection Act.”

Sit with these words for a minute.
Then talking about a possible second Civil War.
As I said at the time, it’s no exaggeration to say that a competent fascist could have overthrown the United States government in 2020. We came right up to the edge of killing democracy and turning the country over to a military junta.

It’s possible the military would have refused to follow these orders if Trump had given them—but at minimum, we’d have been plunged into a massive constitutional crisis. And what would have happened if some branches of the military had gone along with the scheme while others refused? Blue states claiming Trump wasn’t president while red states claimed he was? It could have ignited a second Civil War.

Either way, we escaped by the skin of our teeth.
Then talking about his followers attacking Congress on January 6.

Jeff Clark’s Insurrection Act Remark Was Even Worse Than It Sounds
Tucked 81 paragraphs into the election crimes indictment of Donald Trump, there’s a reference to a plot even more sinister that was never fully carried out.

Prosecutors outline an interaction in which a senior Trump DOJ official suggests that Trump’s closest allies are counting on the Insurrection Act to stay in power.

The 1807 law gives the President the power to deploy the military for domestic law enforcement purposes. Trump’s allies allegedly urged him to use the law to reverse his loss.

But the apparent mention of the Insurrection Act by Trump’s main DOJ crony suggested another use of the law — putting down protests if Trump stayed in the White House past January 20 — and raises new questions about how deeply the previous administration may have considered using force to stay in power.

Trumps gets a big court ordered gag ball. "Mpfff! Mmmphhh!"

A federal judge has barred Donald Trump from attacking witnesses, prosecutors and court staff involved in his Washington, D.C., criminal case, imposing a gag order that sharply escalates the tension between Trump’s 2024 bid for the presidency and the realities of his status as a criminal defendant.

“First Amendment protections yield to the administration of justice and to the protection of witnesses,” Judge Tanya Chutkan said Monday as she issued the gag order. “His presidential candidacy does not give him carte blanche to vilify … public servants who are simply doing their job.”

Trumps gets a big court ordered gag ball. "Mpfff! Mmmphhh!"

A federal judge has barred Donald Trump from attacking witnesses, prosecutors and court staff involved in his Washington, D.C., criminal case, imposing a gag order that sharply escalates the tension between Trump’s 2024 bid for the presidency and the realities of his status as a criminal defendant.

“First Amendment protections yield to the administration of justice and to the protection of witnesses,” Judge Tanya Chutkan said Monday as she issued the gag order. “His presidential candidacy does not give him carte blanche to vilify … public servants who are simply doing their job.”

So now it comes down to what Judge Chutkan will do when Trump violates her explicit order, which he is almost certain to do. He won't be able to help himself. His attorney, Lauro, has already asked her: “Is your honor going to put President Trump in jail?” That looks like a dare. She could try to cut him off from social media platforms, I suppose, but what happens if he uses them anyway or uses other means to continue the intimidation? How far is she prepared to go to muzzle him? Putting him in a jail cell would certainly create a firestorm in the media, and he might just ignore any other sanctions she tries to impose on him. It will be an interesting problem for her to solve.

Trump immediately after the gag order;

I'm starting to think Trump doesn't have the best lawyers...

As a lawyer, I too have many clients I can't control. It's frustrating for sure. But I make sure they pay their retainer up front! If I like my clients, I cut them some slack on the retainer.

I can imagine representing Trump. It might kind of fun - except I can't stand the sonofabitch. But sometimes representing people who don't have a case gives you a freedom to act in ways that you wouldn't normally if you're trying to preserve something for a winnable case. Trump really may not have much to lose by just ignoring court orders and going on his rampage. that may be his thinking. He's either confident that he can delay everything as long as possible - then pardon himself. Or that he will get a pardon from the next Republican president who will be in office not long after he serves a few months in jail.

If he goes to prison, he will no longer be able to speak at rallies, tweet rants all night long, post to social media at will, go on Faux Noise etc. Most of America will not miss him. Maybe Trump knows this. It is way of retiring from this hell he caused himself. A few months in prison. His business empire slashed. Booted from ballots. Just retire.

If he goes to prison, he will no longer be able to speak at rallies, tweet rants all night long, post to social media at will, go on Faux Noise etc. Most of America will not miss him. Maybe Trump knows this. It is way of retiring from this hell he caused himself. A few months in prison. His business empire slashed. Booted from ballots. Just retire.
The orange cheeto is way too much of a narcissist to go quietly. He always wants to be the center of attention.

Donald Trump is suing a former MI6 officer and the intelligence consultancy he founded, High Court records show.

The former US president is bringing a data protection claim against Orbis Business Intelligence and its founder Christopher Steele, who previously ran the Secret Intelligence Service’s Russia desk.

According to a court order published on Thursday, a two-day hearing in Mr Trump’s legal action is set to start on October 16, which is thought to be the first hearing in the claim.

Oh yummy! Another lawsuit against Donald J. Trump.

Now Trump will face off in another war with Chutkan. According to the Democracy Docket, the judge will oversee a new lawsuit against Trump and his campaign alleging they intentionally tried to disenfranchise Black voters, a violation of the Voting Rights Act.

Brought by the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the suit alleges Trump's campaign and the Republican Party worked to disenfranchise the voters when they attempted to overthrow the 2020 presidential election.

Last edited:
Sidney Powell has taken a plea deal in Georgia. CNN indicates it is primarily in regard to the Coffee County election system breach but hopefully she has agreed to testify directly against Trump.

This could be a huge break for prosecutors, because she now has to testify truthfully about what she knows. Tremendous pressure now falls on co-defendant Kenneth Chesebro. The dominos are starting to fall. Trump is the big domino at the end.

With the delighful Sidney, remember that her actual defense position, put forward by her lawyer, was that "no reasonable person would conclude that her statements <about rigged voting machines> were truly statements of fact." This, after the histrionic appearances she made with Rudy. That is the same as saying that one has no integrity and should never be listened to. Can you imagine the testimony she'd give in court? "Ms. Powell, are the statements you make here in court today to be taken as statements of fact?" Trump World would be a source of comedy if it weren't actually happening, and if a third of our electorate was not fully entranced by these fraudsters... and if the #1 fraudster of them all wasn't poised to reclaim power in twelve and a half months.

The articles I've read maintain that she can be made to testify, that this was part of her plea deal. But like Giuliani she's a crazy loose cannon. What happens if she goes full MAGAtard on the witness stand and starts spouting the same kind of crazy she's known for? Will this be a violation of her plea deal?

But yes, her pleading guilty is a good thing because she was at ground zero of all the shenanigans.

The articles I've read maintain that she can be made to testify, that this was part of her plea deal. But like Giuliani she's a crazy loose cannon. What happens if she goes full MAGAtard on the witness stand and starts spouting the same kind of crazy she's known for? Will this be a violation of her plea deal?

But yes, her pleading guilty is a good thing because she was at ground zero of all the shenanigans.

I would say that the fear of going to jail in Georgia is driving her toward a more sincere effort to testify truthfully. Her previous public admission that no reasonable person would believe her lies was apparently not a theory she wanted to test in court. I think she'll take probation, pay the fines, and not test the limits of what she can get away with under oath.

Back
Top Bottom