• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Some on the far right choose meat only diets to piss off liberals.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.motherjones.com/food/2018/09/carnivorism-zero-carb-jordan-peterson-mikhaila-shawn-baker-andrew-torba-alt-right/?utm_source=mj-newsletters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=food-for-thought-2018-09-09

The Petersons embrace “carnivorism,” as it’s come to be known, for health reasons, as does “carnivore king” Shawn Baker, a former orthopedic surgeon and head of the World Carnivore Tribe Facebook group. But some conservatives, many of them inspired by the Petersons, have taken up all-meat diets for a different purpose: to piss off liberals. “Meat is poised to be the next proxy battleground in a left-right culture war,” wrote Daily Beast reporter Kelly Weill in a recent piece on the trend.

I thought about posting this in humor, but sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry at the hatred and stupidity of some on the alt right. While I personally think this is an undesirable, unhealthy diet, despite it being one of the current fad diets out there, these folks are doing it because raising meat does more harm to the environment than growing vegetables. And, that is supposed to really piss off liberals. Apparently Idiocracy is here.

And....

The fad echoes past efforts by right-wingers to eschew left-leaning issues: They’ve amassed straws in response to environmental concerns about plastics in the oceans; boycotted tofu out of fear of soy’s supposed emasculating phytoestrogen content; and of course, there was “rolling coal“—tricking out trucks to release billows of black smoke to make Prius-driving liberals angry. “You have constructed this worldview around how to upset people,” noted Weill. “I’d really like to know how someone feels having gone through all that trouble—what was your gain in the end?”

I drive a hybrid, but I never knew until now that those rolling coal trucks were there to piss me off. Their efforts to destroy the environment will hurt them as much as it will hurt liberals. Apparently, our educational system has failed these folks.

Heh. Good. They'll all die of high cholesterol in about thirty years, and the rest of us will inherit the political sphere. We just need to wait them out.

Heh. Good. They'll all die of high cholesterol in about thirty years, and the rest of us will inherit the political sphere. We just need to wait them out.
Yeah, we should wail, with apparent anguish, to reinforce their choices.

And get Hillary to do a Regular Health Checkups PSA, to keep them from doctors.

Get SNL to run a recurring joke about how liberal ambulance crews emasculate heart attack victims, so Real Men drive themselves to the ER.

For many a political party is the same thing as rooting for a football team.

Many are lost in a system trying to deceive people.

And passive aggressives tend to gravitate to the right.

Bringing back Gout as a disease of the ruling class. Enjoy those kidney stones also. Not to mention colon cancer.

We live in the age of oil. That is what this time will be called if humanity lasts.

Oil won't.

In the age of oil there is abundant energy (for some) and meat can be plentiful (for some). For an ecological price.

After the age of oil that may not be possible.

We live in the age of oil. That is what this time will be called if humanity lasts.

Oil won't.

In the age of oil there is abundant energy (for some) and meat can be plentiful (for some). For an ecological price.

After the age of oil that may not be possible.

There is plenty of energy in the world. Oil is just a very convenient store of it. But we have technological means to ween ourselves off it. It will just take decades to refine and deploy those technologies, but there is no real barrier to it.

And I think all meat-diets are idiotic (not as much as veganism though). I mean, what about side dishes?

Btw, it reminds me of this:

I'm a completely liberal atheist - hate the right wing and all they stand for - but I'm also a carnivore. In my view, vegetables are what you feed to food.

Good for you. If people who are politically opposite of you adopt a diet purportedly aimed at upseting you, who fucking cares. Reducing your carbs and eating meat are - despite conventional wisdom - a benefit. We are carnivorous omnivores, after all. The creationists be damned.

Global Correlates of Cardiovascular Risk: A Comparison of 158 Countries

The aim of this study was a large-scale ecological analysis of nutritional and other environmental factors potentially associated with the incidence of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) in the global context. Indicators of CVDs from 158 countries were compared with the statistics of mean intake (supply) of 60 food items between 1993 and 2011, obesity rates, health expenditure and life expectancy. This comparison shows that the relationship between CVD indicators (raised blood pressure, CVD mortality, raised blood glucose) and independent variables in the global context is influenced by various factors, such as short life expectancy, religiously conditioned dietary customs, the imprecision of some statistics and undernutrition. However, regardless of the statistical method used, the results always show very similar trends and identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals and wheat, in particular) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs. These findings are in line with the changing view of the causes of CVDs. Because only the statistics of raised blood glucose include people using medications and reflect true prevalence that is independent of healthcare, more objective data on the prevalence of CVDs are needed to confirm these observed trends.

Can we please not argue about which diet is the right one. Fad diets come and go all the time and I don't believe that one diet is the best. I'm pretty sure that just like cockroaches and rats, humans can get buy with a very varied diet. In other words, the nastiest creatures on earth have survived by eating all kinds of shit. ;)

But, choosing a diet for political reasons is something else. But at least liberals aren't eating the meat diet to piss off conservatives or to purposely harm the environment. And, while I am not fond of meat, although I do eat small amounts of it, I understand that some people really love meat. If we want to argue about diets, can we do it somewhere else? :)

One of our local restaurants has a Heart Attack Omelet -- it's pie-sized, comes with your choice of pancake or French toast, plus breakfast meat, plus a stack of toast from which you could make a toast house. If Trump ever visits...

I'm also a carnivore, though not a member of the right, and I have noticed this same trend. Another one, bizarrely, is that carnivores also tend to overlap greatly with people into crypto-currency... figure that one out. Either way, I suspect that the popularity of the diet with the right will grow simply because Jordan Peterson's daughter has successfully used it to cure her depression, and her father took it up as a result. If it had been Cenk Uygur instead, the situation might be different.

The irony is that there are good reasons to believe that meat consumption can be more environmentally beneficial than vegetable consumption, under the right circumstances. But my guess is that conservative carnivores are less interested in the environmental impact and more about riling up vegans. A difference in ethical opinion is easier to flaunt than an assertion based on refutable facts.

I'm also a carnivore, though not a member of the right, and I have noticed this same trend. Another one, bizarrely, is that carnivores also tend to overlap greatly with people into crypto-currency... figure that one out. Either way, I suspect that the popularity of the diet with the right will grow simply because Jordan Peterson's daughter has successfully used it to cure her depression, and her father took it up as a result. If it had been Cenk Uygur instead, the situation might be different.

The irony is that there are good reasons to believe that meat consumption can be more environmentally beneficial than vegetable consumption, under the right circumstances. But my guess is that conservative carnivores are less interested in the environmental impact and more about riling up vegans. A difference in ethical opinion is easier to flaunt than an assertion based on refutable facts.
What I find the most interesting is that I'm expected to be riled up because they are eating meat. The last thing I ever think about regarding political opponents is 'What did they have for dinner?'

Good for them. This variant of the Atkins Diet should help them lose a lot of fat, which, if pictures are to believed, most trumpsuckers sorely need to do. They will be mightily constipated if they go strict carnivore after eating lots of carbs, but even that might be fun to watch. Good for them - admitting that you have a problem is the first step!

To be honest, I posted this because I thought it was funny. I seriously doubt that the majority of the far right are extreme carnivores, just like most of them don't drive trucks with the rolling coal option. I've only had that done to me a few times and it's probably the same asshole that does it. Why would that piss me off? I'm spending far less on gas than the drivers of those ugly, over priced trucks that happily spew out oil in an attempt to upset liberals, do. It's sort of like the ones that buy Nikes just so they can burn them. I doubt Nike cares what you do with their shoes after you buy them. ( Nike sales were up by 30% last week )And, people who only eat meat don't piss me off at all. To me, eating only meat would be torture, so why would I be bothered if some far right goof balls find joy in it? I really don't care. Do you? :D:D

I really don't care. Do you? :D:D
Well, I eat pork because I like it, not to piss off Jews, Muslims.
I drink Coke because I like it, not to piss off Mormons.
I eat beef, crab, lobster, lamb, squid, ostrich, alligator, chicken, bison, for my own choice, not to piss of vegans.

I will admit, I spell PETA out as People Eating Tasty Animals for the purpose of tweaking PETA, but that's not a menu choice.

I am aware that there are people who eat dogs, cats. I don't, but I don't take it personally that people do.

I don't understand people that choose to eat mild cheddar, but I don't try not to judge them for it.

So, no, not really.

OH! There was one guy on my fourth boat, claimed he was muslim, but I think he mostly did it to try to piss off the chain of command. But he was a teensy bit confused. He wouldn't eat pork chops, pork sausage, or pork loin, because he knew he couldn't eat pork, but he ate bacon. And ham. And insisted that that was okay, because it's not 'pork.'
We laughed at him, but mostly for being an idiot, not for his dietary choices...

https://www.motherjones.com/food/2018/09/carnivorism-zero-carb-jordan-peterson-mikhaila-shawn-baker-andrew-torba-alt-right/?utm_source=mj-newsletters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=food-for-thought-2018-09-09

The Petersons embrace “carnivorism,” as it’s come to be known, for health reasons, as does “carnivore king” Shawn Baker, a former orthopedic surgeon and head of the World Carnivore Tribe Facebook group. But some conservatives, many of them inspired by the Petersons, have taken up all-meat diets for a different purpose: to piss off liberals. “Meat is poised to be the next proxy battleground in a left-right culture war,” wrote Daily Beast reporter Kelly Weill in a recent piece on the trend.

I thought about posting this in humor, but sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry at the hatred and stupidity of some on the alt right. While I personally think this is an undesirable, unhealthy diet, despite it being one of the current fad diets out there, these folks are doing it because raising meat does more harm to the environment than growing vegetables. And, that is supposed to really piss off liberals. Apparently Idiocracy is here.

And....

The fad echoes past efforts by right-wingers to eschew left-leaning issues: They’ve amassed straws in response to environmental concerns about plastics in the oceans; boycotted tofu out of fear of soy’s supposed emasculating phytoestrogen content; and of course, there was “rolling coal“—tricking out trucks to release billows of black smoke to make Prius-driving liberals angry. “You have constructed this worldview around how to upset people,” noted Weill. “I’d really like to know how someone feels having gone through all that trouble—what was your gain in the end?”

I drive a hybrid, but I never knew until now that those rolling coal trucks were there to piss me off. Their efforts to destroy the environment will hurt them as much as it will hurt liberals. Apparently, our educational system has failed these folks.

Hurting themselves to "own the libs."

This is a lovely metaphor for voting Republican.

Back
Top Bottom