• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

South Carolina police officer investigated after slamming student to ground at Spring Valley High

What narrative? What crumbling? The link says there was a short walkout.

The point is a large number of students there feel he did the right thing.
I've seen a few quotes from the students. Unsurprisingly it looks like they think a variety of things. Apparently some (no one knows how many) feel what Fields did wasn't all that wrong, some think what he did was wrong but that firing him for it was too harsh, some seem to want to convey it's not a racial thing. So the students have a variety of opinions, like any group will.

"Large number" might be an exaggeration.

Can you provide a time and screenshot?

Oh wait, I'm here still holding my breath from the last question I asked.

Can someone else ask this question and hold their breath until Loren answers?

I think "her strike comes first" means it comes just before getting thrown across the room, but after being lifted.

Whenever you violently assault someone, it is reasonable to expect they will strike back. It is pretty obvious from the video that whatever she did was extremely ineffectual and not really something to use as an excuse for the violence that occurred.

I think "her strike comes first" means it comes just before getting thrown across the room, but after being lifted.

Whenever you violently assault someone, it is reasonable to expect they will strike back. It is pretty obvious from the video that whatever she did was extremely ineffectual and not really something to use as an excuse for the violence that occurred.
I agree 100%. I was just trying to clear the confusion about what Loren was saying. It took a while for me to figure it out (if I have) but I think Loren saying the girl's striking gesture happens just before the officer threw her. People are looking at the video before Fields even touches the girl saying "I don't see it, where is it?" and Loren just insists it's there.

Can you provide a time and screenshot?

Oh wait, I'm here still holding my breath from the last question I asked.

Can someone else ask this question and hold their breath until Loren answers?

She isn't even lifted at the time she strikes him. It's only a couple of seconds into the video.

She isn't even lifted at the time she strikes him. It's only a couple of seconds into the video.
By that time he is grabbing her and she merely extends her left arm in an involuntarily defensive move.

How come you are the only person in this thread who "sees" this?

No I see it, but it is definitely a defensive reaction more of a "stay away from me" rather than an assault. Lifting by the neck is wrong.

So according to you, all the schools are the same. In minority and low performing schools, it is the low quality of the students. I see what you are saying....blaming the victim for the crime.;) You and Buford Pusser have a similar idea about what to do when things displease you. (reference..."walking tall."}:thinking:

And you're blaming the mirror for the image in it.

To a very large extent schools are a reflection of the students in them.

They aren't.

They do tend to be a reflection of the adults or in some cases 'adults' running the schools.

And you're blaming the mirror for the image in it.

To a very large extent schools are a reflection of the students in them.

They aren't.

They do tend to be a reflection of the adults or in some cases 'adults' running the schools.
Yes. Some schools have turned completely around after a change in the leadership of the school. Just like companies can be run into the ground by bad leadership, so can schools.

This has been explained why those who actually work in these situations know that this is not true.
People who have DONE THIS without violence.

Can you please present what in your background makes you feel that people who have successfully solved these situations without violence cannot possibly have done so? Can you explain why you should be believed when you claim this versus thoase who have said why they know it works?

I reference an earlier post of this question in post 281

where I ask you:

My background is irrelevant. It is a matter of pure logic. If a person refuses to do something, you can issue all the paper slips with new orders that you like. At some point, in the face of continued refusal, force is usually the only option - the ONLY leverage (other than denying her breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria) is force or the credible threat of force.

Here's where you start off wrong: It's not a matter of pure logic. At least, certainly not any kind of logic divorced from knowledge of human behavior, and since we are talking about school children and adolescents, knowledge of child and human development and behaviors.

About those 'paper slips' you think are so ineffective: I guess that's why traffic cops issue so many tickets, right?

But as you repeatedly ask for my background I will relent. My wife and I raised her daughter. My wife was a elementary and high school teacher for 15 years, and spent the next 15 years as a special ed teacher and (later) supervisor of special ed teachers. In the last year and half (before retirement due to failing health) I was a school aid for special ed, and participated in her teacher-classroom meetings and paperwork on students.

Finally, my best friend and his girl friend raised 5 adopted children, three of whom were defiant destructive monsters - one requiring over 100 police dispatches (and occasionally handcuffing and taking to mental health incarceration).

I have also seen what happened to my sister's child, raised with an overwhelming fear of making or enforcing rules of behavior; as an adult he turned out as expected - an immature, unsocialized, and a wimpish narcissist.

Special education is its own special thing. My hat's off to your wife for doing it for 15 years. I know how high the burnout rate is.

I am aware of many of the challenges in classrooms and raising kids. I've spent quite a number of years in classrooms as well. Fairness and consistency are important, as is genuine affection and love for the children. And a sense of humor is mandatory. So is a sense of justice and a view to the long term.

BTW, all of this applies to special education as well as 'regular' ed.

My goal was to raise children who were intelligent and thoughtful, and kind and curious. I wanted children who would think for themselves, be compassionate, and to be productive. I did my best to not violate their keen sense of fairness and justice and to encourage them to think about others and what was fair beyond their own self interest. I wanted them to be individuals who had their own sense purpose, who could function independently, set and accomplish goals, both long term and short term.

My wife was one of the rare teachers who could get even the most troublesome children to obey. She taught me many things about children, including what teachers get wrong. Her rules were simple: give them the expected consequences for not following the rules, and ALWAYS follow through. Never get down to their level and argue, or 'negotiate' punishment, or let them off because they beg for an exception.

Yes, this is how I was raised, and this is how I raised my children.

Here's the thing about that, something I learned VERY quickly: You must think carefully before you issue a consequence for an undesired action--or for a desired one. Don't promise ponies if you aren't willing to invest the years and cash it takes. And too draconian a punishment backfires and betrays trust--with that kid and with all the other kids. Make sure that the consequence is logical, appropriate, and fair and in scale to the behavior. Kids have an extremely well developed sense of fairness. If you violate it too egregiously, or too often in smaller ways, the result is children who do not trust authority, and who are insecure, and rebellious and angry.

My favorite teachers were always those who respected the kids, and expected great things from them, in terms of their achievement and their behavior. I cannot recall a single one of those teachers ever raising a voice or calling the principal for backup, although I did have one pretty horrible teacher who liked to use the principal to punish the kid she decided she hated, regardless of whether he actually did whatever the offense was.

She taught in mostly inner city schools, mostly to black children. Once they understood that pleading was not acceptable (and likely to raise her ire), would not argue with them, and that she always followed through punishment she became one of the most loved teachers in her school - years later we received affectionate letters from former students who thanked her.

I am very aware that there are many methods of getting compliance, and have been in several classrooms where the teacher has serious authority. On the other hand, I have also seen or heard of classes where the "special ed" students (the emotionally troubled sections) are in chaos...with students throwing desks and the teacher being little more than a hands off zoo keeper.

I don't think you will find anyone in this thread who disagrees that schools and classrooms should be well run. It is to the benefit of all the children.

But please note: the descriptions you use can be equally applied to prisons. Something my own kids were quick to point out when rules at school were too draconian or out of scale.

Yet, in my wife's last elementary school, in spite of an excellent teaching staff (mostly african American teachers) there was always several times a year that the police had to be called. And even my wife had a knife put to her throat and threatened with death by a defiant 15 year old student.

So yes...sometimes force is needed - not every child or school is from "Leave it to Beaver" or "The Brady Bunch".

I will assume the 15 year old with a knife was not in elementary school. Obviously, that is not acceptable and obviously, there must be police involvement, even if it comes after the incident is diffused. Sometimes, the police are necessary to diffuse the situation.

So, about the 15 year old, who was clearly a serious and credible threat to the safety of your wife and anyone else: Did the police kill him? Taze him? Yank him from his desk by his neck? Throw him about?

No I see it, but it is definitely a defensive reaction more of a "stay away from me" rather than an assault. Lifting by the neck is wrong.
So you admit she was actively, and not only passively, resisting arrest at the very least.

Also, it turns out she was not an orphan, although she did live in foster care. I bet now that she is a likely goldmine her no-good parents want her back.

So you admit she was actively, and not only passively, resisting arrest at the very least.
No I don't. BTW what crime was she under arrest for?

Also, it turns out she was not an orphan, although she did live in foster care. I bet now that she is a likely goldmine her no-good parents want her back.

What does this have to do with all the tea in China? Smearing her parents now. Very klassy.

No I don't.
I do not see how that is consistent with what you said earlier.
BTW what crime was she under arrest for?
Disturbing school.
What does this have to do with all the tea in China?
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the price of tea in China but a lot to do with this thread as it was claimed upthread that she recently lost her mother.
Of course, I was given a hard time for expressing skepticism over Facebook posts as evidence (argumentum ad facebookum)
Smearing her parents now. Very klassy.
Why should her parents be beyond scrutiny? You know what is "klassy"? Abandoning your kid to the foster system but being right there now that there is a buck to be made. Reminds me of Lesley McSpadden, Michael Brown's mother, who didn't raise her son but was hogging the cameras after his death and she even attacked and robbed other family members who were selling MB t-shirts because she thought she was entitled to all the profits.

Too bad. I believe others have explained it for me.

What does this have to do with all the tea in China?
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the price of tea in China but a lot to do with this thread as it was claimed upthread that she recently lost her mother.

sorry, I meant price of tea in China...I have the flu.

You know what is "klassy"? Abandoning your kid to the foster system but being right there now that there is a buck to be made.

It's a red herring and it has nothing to do with the incident. Are you going to start posting irrelevant pictures of Black people who like to make money now? How about one of Don King?

redherring.jpg

BTW what crime was she under arrest for?
Disturbing school.

I don't see how that statute applies to this girl? I see how it applies to the police officer, but not to her. BTW, as far as I can tell, none of the other students who used their phones to record the assault have been charged with...anything. The only other person who was charged was a brave student who spoke up against the brutal assault being carried out in their classroom, by someone who was supposed to protect them.

Why should her parents be beyond scrutiny? You know what is "klassy"? Abandoning your kid to the foster system but being right there now that there is a buck to be made. Reminds me of Lesley McSpadden, Michael Brown's mother, who didn't raise her son but was hogging the cameras after his death and she even attacked and robbed other family members who were selling MB t-shirts because she thought she was entitled to all the profits.

Her parents were not involved in the incident. They have nothing to do with the incident.

Derek, you know NOTHING about this girl, not even her name. You know nothing about why she was in foster care. You know nothing about her circumstances at all.

Not that her circumstances matter at all. She was not causing a ruckus. She was not armed. She was threatening no one. She was not a danger or a disturbance. Those honors belong to the 'adults' involved in the incident.

But there you go: Klassy all the way. Achtung! Mach Schnell! Keep it klassy.

By that time he is grabbing her and she merely extends her left arm in an involuntarily defensive move.

Involuntary?

She knows he's there to remove her, there's no surprise factor.

- - - Updated - - -

How come you are the only person in this thread who "sees" this?

I agree it's a stay-away-from-me thing--but you don't get to do that to the officer trying to remove you from the scene.

Involuntary?

She knows he's there to remove her, there's no surprise factor.

Loren, surely you are aware of involuntary actions, which are the primitive brain's way of ensuring survival. If one is being choked--and this officer wrapped his arms around this girl's neck and lifted her---choking her--your body's natural and involuntary action is to try to protect your airway. Which is compromised when an arm is wrapped around your throat and you are lifted.

My wife was one of the rare teachers who could get even the most troublesome children to obey. She taught me many things about children, including what teachers get wrong. Her rules were simple: give them the expected consequences for not following the rules, and ALWAYS follow through. Never get down to their level and argue, or 'negotiate' punishment, or let them off because they beg for an exception.

Yup--childrearing 101, but an awful lot of parents don't seem to understand this basic formula.

So how many kids do you have? Or is it like with military matters, you pontificate from the sidelines?

Back
Top Bottom