• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

South Carolina police officer investigated after slamming student to ground at Spring Valley High

Where is the evidence she hit the SRO? Did it happen before or after he grabbed her?

If she 'hit' him as he was flipping her chair over, or as he was reaching for her so he could fling her across the room, that doesn't count as an attack. That would be a defensive action, and probably a reflexive one, too.

If it happened before he made his move to forcibly eject her from her desk, then it counts as evidence she was being uppity a punk had an attitude aggressive at some point. But it's not apparent she was aggressive at any time in the video I saw, so you'll have to point out where it happened.

I linked the video, watch it. Her strike comes first.

The video shows the SRO trying to pick up the girl by her neck. We had a form of execution that involved suspending people by the neck and quite a few suicides are still accomplished that way.

The resistance we see the girl engaged in at this point in the video might easily be explained as self defense against a threat on her life.

Watch the video in slow motion. She strikes him as soon as he lays hands on her.

Yeah watch it slow motion, cock your head to the left, squint through one eye, stick your tongue out and to the right, then get your nephew to grab a new roll of Reynolds Wrap from the pantry and unroll it and twist it into a rope each of you taking an end. Then get him to grab the rabbit ears from your grandmother's 1956 Zenith and hold them out the window in the attic and ...

SEE! SEE! THERE YOU CAN SEE IT CLEAR AS DAY!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for this link.

Marvelous policing is illustrated in that situation. Seriously. A teen girl disobeyed a lawful order to clear the area and played music and danced instead. The officer had a choice. Try to force total compliance? Or "back down" and let the little 'brat' feel victorious? Her choice: To dance with the teen. That’s a priceless education in human relating. There’s no way that an authoritarian smackdown could have taught anyone respect so well as this kind of response.

That’s something that gets me about people that want respect without giving it. They think it can be forced. But that's not true even for the most meek, docile, servile people. The only rational response to oppressive authority is resentment and rebellion. Unquestioning obedience is not the rational response to authority, as anyone who knows what “freethinker” means, and values it, should realize.

Freethought is not restricted to a rejection of the authority of religion, it’s rejection of all tradition and authority that does not meet the standards of reason, as some laws and many applications of laws do not. And it is never possible to make a reasoned argument about what’s ethically right and wrong by referencing the law, that’s legalism which is the opposite of free thought.

One of the reasons I appreciate the link is, earlier in the thread people were answering "what would you do instead?" My immediate thoughts on that were if I were the teacher I'd have put the book aside for the remainder of the class and told a story. Or posed a question that would on the surface seem unrelated to the phone issue and started a dialogue. After all, it's an institute of education, and to really fulfill the role they need to put the books aside sometimes.

Nice points.

What I found ridiculous was the relative size of the cop to the teen. He was fit. Shes was a relatively small girl. Back in the day I got into a scuffle with my neighbor coming out of a school event. A five foot six inch female administrator picked ups both off the ground, one in her left hand and the other in her right and held us feet dangling off the ground. Nothing more embarrassing than being in a position of demonstrated helplessness. Problem solved. Sure I weighed a dripping wet 95 pounds and my neighbor weighed 100 pounds. The difference between physically fit adult and teen could not have been more decisive. Nobody got hurt.

Point is in addition to those you made. A fit adult can use physical force effectively without hurting anyone. This idiot didn't. Bottom line. Never let an emotional asshole in under cover of authority get involved in discipline.
So true. If you're inclined to pick on your lessers, as this cop did, it just demonstrates what a bullying asshole you truly are.

Where is the evidence she hit the SRO? Did it happen before or after he grabbed her?

If she 'hit' him as he was flipping her chair over, or as he was reaching for her so he could fling her across the room, that doesn't count as an attack. That would be a defensive action, and probably a reflexive one, too.

If it happened before he made his move to forcibly eject her from her desk, then it counts as evidence she was being uppity a punk had an attitude aggressive at some point. But it's not apparent she was aggressive at any time in the video I saw, so you'll have to point out where it happened.

Honestly, Loren. You're telling me the goon felt physically threatened at this point?

Get real.

Wait, what? You just said she struck him as soon as he laid hands on her. "As soon as" = not before.

The video shows the SRO trying to pick up the girl by her neck. We had a form of execution that involved suspending people by the neck and quite a few suicides are still accomplished that way.

The resistance we see the girl engaged in at this point in the video might easily be explained as self defense against a threat on her life.

Watch the video in slow motion. She strikes him as soon as he lays hands on her.

If the strike happened when he grabbed her, then the strike was a defensive reaction to his offensive action. If it happened after he started to tip her over, it was probably reflexive, too. You start to tip over, you grab something so keep from falling, or you try to get free of whatever is causing you to fall. Or at least I do.

No. She doesn't.

She tries to free HER THROAT from his grasp.

I watched, too. No, she doesn't strike first. As you pointed out when you posted the link.

I just watched it again, very slowly and carefully.

He clearly puts his hands on her first as he moves into position to tip her out of her chair. You can see him lift her left arm up and to the side as he gets his hand and forearm under her chin. Her right arm moves in a way that looks like an attempt to keep from being choked and/or flipped over onto her head.

Bullshit. First, there was no reason to lay "hands" on her. Second, she did not strike anyone. And the country sheriff agrees - he fired this officer.

NOPE.

Can you provide a time and screenshot?

Oh wait, I'm here still holding my breath from the last question I asked.

Can someone else ask this question and hold their breath until Loren answers?

Thank you for this link.

Marvelous policing is illustrated in that situation. Seriously. A teen girl disobeyed a lawful order to clear the area and played music and danced instead. The officer had a choice. Try to force total compliance? Or "back down" and let the little 'brat' feel victorious? Her choice: To dance with the teen. That’s a priceless education in human relating. There’s no way that an authoritarian smackdown could have taught anyone respect so well as this kind of response.

That’s something that gets me about people that want respect without giving it. They think it can be forced. But that's not true even for the most meek, docile, servile people. The only rational response to oppressive authority is resentment and rebellion. Unquestioning obedience is not the rational response to authority, as anyone who knows what “freethinker” means, and values it, should realize.

Freethought is not restricted to a rejection of the authority of religion, it’s rejection of all tradition and authority that does not meet the standards of reason, as some laws and many applications of laws do not. And it is never possible to make a reasoned argument about what’s ethically right and wrong by referencing the law, that’s legalism which is the opposite of freethought.

One of the reasons I appreciate the link is, earlier in the thread people were answering "what would you do instead?" My immediate thoughts on that were if I were the teacher I'd have put the book aside for the remainder of the class and told a story. Or posed a question that would on the surface seem unrelated to the phone issue and started a dialogue. After all, it's an institute of education, and to really fulfill the role they need to put the books aside sometimes.

^^^^ That!

That has been part The Coast Guard rescue teams training regimen for a couple of years now.

Thank you for this link.

Freethought is not restricted to a rejection of the authority of religion, it’s rejection of all tradition and authority that does not meet the standards of reason, as some laws and many applications of laws do not. And it is never possible to make a reasoned argument about what’s ethically right and wrong by referencing the law, that’s legalism which is the opposite of freethought.

^^^^ That!
How can America be expected to survive if we don't slam heads into the pavement when people disobey police orders? Clearly, like the officer in the video, you hate America.

Yeah watch it slow motion, cock your head to the left, squint through one eye, stick your tongue out and to the right, then get your nephew to grab a new roll of Reynolds Wrap from the pantry and unroll it and twist it into a rope each of you taking an end. Then get him to grab the rabbit ears from your grandmother's 1956 Zenith and hold them out the window in the attic and ...

I take it you didn't watch the video in very slow motion.

- - - Updated - - -

The point is a large number of students there feel he did the right thing.

And a large number of students feel he did the wrong thing.

WYP?

What evidence do we have for how many felt he was wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, what? You just said she struck him as soon as he laid hands on her. "As soon as" = not before.

You're assuming the initial contact is to throw her. It's not--it's just to remove her. She strikes him, then things turn rough.

If the strike happened when he grabbed her, then the strike was a defensive reaction to his offensive action. If it happened after he started to tip her over, it was probably reflexive, too. You start to tip over, you grab something so keep from falling, or you try to get free of whatever is causing you to fall. Or at least I do.

Once again, you come up with fantasies to avoid addressing the reality.

Check your fantasies against the video I linked--you'll find they're false.

- - - Updated - - -

WYP?

- - - Updated - - -

You're assuming the initial contact is to throw her. It's not--it's just to remove her. She strikes him, then things turn rough.

You are wrong.

Can you explain why your video is unadulterated but the others you insist we not watch are bad?

How do you KNOW?

And again you would be wrong. I saw a girl being manhandled trying to protect herself and gain control in a fall. You see what you want to see. And what you want to see, is brute, a beast, a black bitch out of control and lashing out.
- - - Updated - - -

WYP?

You don't get to ask for evidence because you so seldom provide any.
- - - Updated - - -

I think "her strike comes first" means it comes just before getting thrown across the room, but after being lifted.

Back
Top Bottom