• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stories From CARM

I remember him well. He was noted for his ponderous, turgid theological writings and his continual misspellings, a combination that is often jarring.

Metacrock's Blog, Atheistwatch

He never tires of bellyaching about atheists and atheism, even though fundies have been nastier to him than atheists. He endlessly complains about atheists supposedly believing that God is some big man in the sky when he is, according to Metacrock, the ground of being or something like that. He claims that the Bible supports his position by quoting the Septuagint translation of "I am that I am" (Exodus 3:14). But the Bible implies in many places that God is indeed a big man in the sky. I don't recall Metacrock's response to that, however.

He seems to think that we experience God in mystical experiences, though he does not quite say so in such straightforward words. He likes jargon like "co-determinate" and "Transcendental Signifier" (don't ask me what those are supposed to be), something that makes him seem very learned, I'm sure. In fact, he sometimes seems like the common stereotype of an atheist as a brainiac who thinks that he is much smarter than everybody else.

Is Nouveau the retarded adult son of one of the owners of CARM? I just got suspended again (I'm Tim H) merely for opining to another regular that the board would be much better without Nouveau spamming up every thread. I have the asshole on ignore, wasn't even talking to him but somehow my post got reported.

If I ever wanted to turn someone off to Christianity permanently I'd have them join CARM for a month. What a collection of arrogant, bigoted, scientifically illiterate assholes. :rolleyes:

Here is one of Metacrock's big arguments, God's self-description in Exodus 3:14. Here are the original versions:

Masoretic Hebrew:
אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה
ehyeh asher ehyeh
I am who I am
I am that I am

Septuagint Greek:
Εγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν
Egô eimi ho ôn
I am the being

Metacrock ignores the Masoretic Hebrew version, and he claims that the Septuagint version means something like "I am being itself" as opposed to some specific being.

However, he ignores all the Biblical God's anthropomorphism, and the Bible has a *lot* of that, presented without any attempt to explain that it is metaphorical or whatever.

Metacrock is dyslexic. That's why he has trouble with words sometimes. Of course, that doesn't justify his generally pompous attitude and inability to listen to anybody who disagrees with him.

I remember him to. Didn't his brother have some serious health issues and he asked for people he knew on the net to help?

Somebody said thundercunt. That's funny shit. Figures something like that would surface in a discussion involving the great crock.

Wow. I remember metacrock. He is something!
Which is an arbitrary necessity, therefore God!

My distaste of people who think that they can prove god exists by manipulating the English language really started with him.

My distaste of people who think that they can prove god exists by manipulating the English language really started with him.
Yes, he's tried to revive the ontological argument. A simple version of it is that a perfect being must exist, because its not existing would mar its perfection.

Yes, he's tried to revive the ontological argument. A simple version of it is that a perfect being must exist, because its not existing would mar its perfection.
Metacrock Poe. Funny enough to be a joke, sad enough to be true. Impossible to tell which it is.

So I finally got banned. I was pulling Meta's chain about his PhD. The amazing thing is that he boasts about doing 10 years of work on his PhD. He never finished, I can't imagine staying for that length of time in a PhD program without being kicked out.

So I finally got banned. I was pulling Meta's chain about his PhD. The amazing thing is that he boasts about doing 10 years of work on his PhD. He never finished, I can't imagine staying for that length of time in a PhD program without being kicked out.

Well, after the first three or four years of them telling him that he's not a student at the school and could he please stop bothering them, they just kind of started ignoring him.

I have seen extremes in this area. I had a cousin who was at MIT for 11 years, they politely told him to write up his dissertation and get out in the real world. Our department chair when I was there had gotten his own Ph.D. from Stanford. Turns out it was his advisor who was killed by a long term graduatestudent when he informed him that he would never get his Ph.D. Dude took a hammer to his advisor.

Time limits can be funky. When I was in grad school, you had a certain number of years after you became a candidate for your degree to finish. But you didn't become a candidate until very late in the process, after almost all of your requirements were finished.

For a while there, it became popular to label yourself as ABD, All But Dissertation, but that got to be kind of a joke as folks who never passed their preliminary exams were using that.

I remember him to. Didn't his brother have some serious health issues and he asked for people he knew on the net to help?

I've heard from one of my fellow skeptics at the Skeptics' Annotated Bible Forum that the story about his brother needing help wasn't true, but I don't know enough about it to tell for sure. It wouldn't surprise me though if this story about his brother was fabricated, and he was just trying to make some money like the fake ass televangelists.

Back
Top Bottom