• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syed's Mega-Thread

If the purpose of the existence of 'evil' is to learn to overcome cancer, as you claim, then most of the people who ever lived did not learn. They lived and died in pain and suffering without learning. They, according to your beliefs, go to heaven just as ignorant about their condition as they were in life.

we learned and cured cancer and ape dont

Cured cancer? So nobody dies from cancer anymore? When did this happen?

Syed, first you have to understand the difference between "effect" and "purpose." If I fall down a flight of stairs it doesn't mean I did it on purpose.

"Evolution" has no purpose any more than gravity has a purpose. Both have effects and both are as well evidenced.

isn't evolution gave lizard wing to fly from predator ? yes or no

Willing to bet ape has lower incidence of cancer than human. What we invented is an unhealthy life-style.

Why did God give us tobacco?
tobacco may have some chemical to cure?

why did evolution gave us tobacco ?

Tobacco plants evolved nicotine as a response to selection pressure from pests - those plants with nicotine in their leaves were less likely to be attacked by pests, and therefore more likely to reproduce.

The hypothesized reason that humans are able to get a 'buzz' from nicotine is that we are closely related to those pests - all life shares many similarities of biochemistry - and pests who were tolerant to nicotine and similar toxins were less likely to be poisoned, and more likely to find food that they could tolerate in times of famine, and so mammals with nicotine tolerance (including our ancestors) were more likely to reproduce than those with less or no tolerance.

Essentially it was an arms-race - the plants evolved alongside animals that provided a selection pressure favoring those that were more toxic, and the animals that evolved alongside those plants were provided with a selection pressure towards greater tolerance for (or even enjoyment of) those toxins.

So now nicotine causes changes in our brain chemistry that are non-fatal at small doses. And human brains seem to respond in pleasurable ways to small doses of many toxins - an evolved stimulus towards consumption of foods for which there was less competition, or that were less likely to be infested by insects, perhaps.

Evolution doesn't work on population effects that mostly kick-in after reproductive age, so there's not much selection pressure against a behaviour that causes deaths in fifty+ year old humans. They've mostly passed on any genes they are going to pass on by that stage anyway.

tobacco may have some chemical to cure?

why did evolution gave us tobacco ?

Tobacco plants evolved nicotine as a response to selection pressure from pests - those plants with nicotine in their leaves were less likely to be attacked by pests, and therefore more likely to reproduce.

The hypothesized reason that humans are able to get a 'buzz' from nicotine is that we are closely related to those pests - all life shares many similarities of biochemistry - and pests who were tolerant to nicotine and similar toxins were less likely to be poisoned, and more likely to find food that they could tolerate in times of famine, and so mammals with nicotine tolerance (including our ancestors) were more likely to reproduce than those with less or no tolerance.

Essentially it was an arms-race - the plants evolved alongside animals that provided a selection pressure favoring those that were more toxic, and the animals that evolved alongside those plants were provided with a selection pressure towards greater tolerance for (or even enjoyment of) those toxins.

So now nicotine causes changes in our brain chemistry that are non-fatal at small doses. And human brains seem to respond in pleasurable ways to small doses of many toxins - an evolved stimulus towards consumption of foods for which there was less competition, or that were less likely to be infested by insects, perhaps.

I'm certain Syed will absorb this excellent information like a block of granite.

Syed, first you have to understand the difference between "effect" and "purpose." If I fall down a flight of stairs it doesn't mean I did it on purpose.

"Evolution" has no purpose any more than gravity has a purpose. Both have effects and both are as well evidenced.

No. The evolutionary process doesn't decide "Hmmm.... I'd like for that lizard to be able to fly away from that predator so I'm going to zap him a wing." The ignorance of evolutionary theory evident in your posts is laughable. Wouldn't be so bad if you weren't trying to argue against it, but to argue against something you seem to know absolutely nothing about is absurd. You literally might as well be arguing the world isn't round (or an oblate spheroid for the OCD types).

If the purpose of the existence of 'evil' is to learn to overcome cancer, as you claim, then most of the people who ever lived did not learn. They lived and died in pain and suffering without learning. They, according to your beliefs, go to heaven just as ignorant about their condition as they were in life.

we learned and cured cancer and ape dont

Humans are great apes, and we are working to cure cancer. You should know this since you have been told this several times. Pretending to be ignorant is dishonest.

No. The evolutionary process doesn't decide "Hmmm.... I'd like for that lizard to be able to fly away from that predator so I'm going to zap him a wing." The ignorance of evolutionary theory evident in your posts is laughable. Wouldn't be so bad if you weren't trying to argue against it, but to argue against something you seem to know absolutely nothing about is absurd. You literally might as well be arguing the world isn't round (or an oblate spheroid for the OCD types).

can you tell that which organ in our body carry out evolutionary process ?

can you tell that which organ in our body carry out evolutionary process ?

Can you explain why you know so little about evolution that you ask silly question like this?

Back
Top Bottom