• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syria bombings.

Iraq isn't a complete mess?
I'm sorry, I thought you were mature enough to accept the context of my statement referring to the beforehand 2004 through 2006, thousands of Iraqis being murdered in the streets weekly in violent attacks and bombings verses the afterwards (2007 through 2008) of substantially lower number of violent attacks on the street with regards to the "working with the locals" shift in 2007 in Iraq.

I should have known better.

If you are going to have an empire, you need to go out there and administer it.

The British understood this. The Americans seem to think they can run things from home. They are wrong.

Sending stealth bombers is all high-tech and all; but it doesn't actually work.

The British understood this. The Americans seem to think they can run things from home. They are wrong.

This operation is about supporting other nations in this effort. There is no way to win this without a ground influence and the US has no intentions of putting one there.

Well, the US empire is (has been) more of a soft-empire verse the British Empire of old. We mostly stuck to maneuvering preferred dictators into power and backing them with money and weapons, with mostly minor direct military engagement. How did the East India Company (or British Raj) work out for you? All empires eventually start crumbling. Sometimes people refuse to see the cracks, and sometimes people see cracks under every rock. The US had a pretty good domination run for the half century after WWII. But I think the cost of all this is starting to catch up with us, along with our aging population and growing fear of having US soldiers die for some vague and remote cause. 50 years ago we tried direct military control of a country, and all we got for it was 58,000 dead American and roughly a million dead Vietnamese. Roll forward 30 years, and we tried it again in the ME. We still haven’t quite given up our exercise in futility within Af-Pak, but so far we have about 6,800 dead Americans and roughly 170,000 dead Iraqi’s and Afghans. Sadly, I think Bin Laden has won in some ways, even in death. We are far more paranoid, and anything that enriches the likes of Lockheed Martin and merc companies like Blackwater>>Xe Services>>Academi is now promoted in the name of security. And we are flushing a shitload of wealth down the toilet each year in the process.

We recently tried bombing the shit out of a country with no boots on the ground, and the only real result has been utter chaos and anarchy as we kicked the dust off our planes as we left Libya. But hey, Raytheon will make a mint on replacing the 47 Tomahawk Land Attack missiles that have been launched so far, at only $1.6 million a pop. And the F-22 that finally gets to see real (as in shooting fish in a barrel realism) combat, instead of just being pretty show pieces. And they only cost $68,000 per operational hour (only 3x the cost for an F-16). Good thing we have these uber expensive and advanced planes go after bad guys with guns, hand held missiles, and artillery… The anti-ISIS coalition is a pathetic and sick joke upon the victims throughout the ME. Without substantial (tens of thousands) of boots on the ground from any/some real army, probably all that will result is a different form of chaos as the west finally decides they can declare victory (with media cheer leading) and slip away from the emerging new and improved chaos.

I think the next 10-20 years will re-introduce the multi-polar world with increased regional conflict as the US fades further from the ability to project its domination desires. Sure we will be able to blow the shit out of a country with our advanced ability to project air power. However, our ability to topple leaders we don’t like via the CIA has generally passed. I can’t see another engagement like in Vietnam, short of something quite extreme. And as our failures in Iraq and Afghanistan will help feed regional distrust of our abilities to control events. And if Putin wins out in the Ukraine-Crimea over the next few years, we lose more credibility. Pres. Obama’s recent comment about Russia being the most isolated since the cold war was laughable…I guess he didn’t read up on the Sino-Soviet rift.

Almost 24 hours after the fact and still no comment here about the bombing?

Why?

No one has any opinion?

This Forum too anti-Obama to praise his actions?

People too scared to say what they think, remembering the debacle of Bush's "Mission Accomplished"?

Here goes then.

Well done Obama and the USA. High time to do what you are doing. Keep it up.

It would have been easy if the US didn't get involved in the first place where its actions made things much worse off than before, Well done Obama, Bush Hilary and so forth for the FUBAR.

It's not being done by airpower alone. Obama is coordinating with Syrians. Who are rebels. Who have nil experience in statesmanship.

The political cost of sending American ground troops is too high. Obama might be doing just the right thing, the situation being what it is. And also, since this:
... is the world's near future, the US should make it a habit to work with the locals. The US intelligence community and US technological edge, therefore, will be the ones in charge of making the world a better place, not American teenagers bound to develop PTSD.

Whether it is airpower alone or additional means only one thing is a certainty; The US will leave Syria in a mess just like Iraq and Libya.

Why?

No one has any opinion?

People too scared to say what they think, remembering the debacle of Bush's "Mission Accomplished"?

Here goes then.

It would have been easy if the US didn't get involved in the first place where its actions made things much worse off than before, Well done Obama, Bush Hilary and so forth for the FUBAR.
What US involved actions in Syria made the situation worse off?

By inciting and fuelling the war which has left the country worse off than before. This is one reported escalation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...o-syrian-rebels/2013/09/11/9fcf2ed8-1b0c-11e3

The CIA has begun delivering weapons to rebels in Syria, ending months of delay in lethal aid that had been promised by the Obama administration, according to U.S. officials and Syrian figures. The shipments began streaming into the country over the past two weeks, along with separate deliveries by the State Department of vehicles and other gear — a flow of material that marks a major escalation of the U.S. role in Syria’s civil war.

The more the US government got involved the less it achieved to end the conflict, since it is not neutral but supports some rebel factions

Really? Okay then.

First, some background. The leadership of the US has this idiotic notion that whenever there is a fight you have to find the good guy and back the good guy. First of all, I personally don't see the need to back the good guy when it is someone else's fight, but that is just me. Then there is the problem that in some fights there is no good guy. Sometimes all the factions are bad, and if you back any of them you aren't backing a good guy. There are times when there are no good choices. Just let them fight until they wear each other out.

Well, some of the actions were outside of Syria. The US destruction of Iraq led to the rise of ISIS, which wasn't a big problem until ISIS decided to ignore colonial imposed borders and operate in Syria. Then the US, which had been wanting the ousting of Assad, really got involved. The US went on a quest to find the good guy. Except there wasn't one. They wanted to find the only person in Syria who opposed ISIS, Al Qaeda, and Assad at the same time. Every time they thought they found one, it turned out this person didn't like the US either. Imagine that.

The US government has been conducting air strikes, because that is the only military intervention Obama is willing to risk. There have been many rounds of air strikes, none of them doing much good because even though this is largely a 4th generation conflict, there are parts of 2nd generation warfare that Obama is overlooking. In 2nd generation warfare, artillery takes and infantry holds.

In what way did you mean your question? Did you mean it in "I am genuinely curious and want to learn more about this situation" sense or "I don't believe that the US took any actions that made the Syria situation worse so support your claim" sense?

ISIS was bound to happen as long as Iran and Saudi Arabia kept fiddling as the Arab world burned. America and the west, Russia and China in the east, and neutral industrial nations are at the mercy of these players as long as petro energy dominates supplies. Without going to war ourselves we can't control events in the ME. We are bringing it to a boil with our polluting the atmosphere and increasing temperatures there beyond tolerable limits.

It come down to do we want to dominate or do we want to survive. I expect most want to survive and dominate, but, that isn't possible. So until we choose survive we're at risk of being reduced to the stone age by our fiddling around. ... and now the west has Trump and Brexit nationalism, or tribalism, dominating just like Russia has it in their master model. Stand by kids. you're gonna see some real fireworks.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

By inciting and fuelling the war which has left the country worse off than before. This is one reported escalation.
The US did not incite the war. And it started, it is delusional to think that it would not play out in a brutal, destructive manner.

The US did not incite the war. And it started, it is delusional to think that it would not play out in a brutal, destructive manner.

So if the outcome is the same for the little people regardless, why bother getting involved at all?

So if the outcome is the same for the little people regardless, why bother getting involved at all?
Good question. Perhaps there is the hope that acting in a manner that ends the conflict sooner (for the right side) may reduce the damage that otherwise would occur.

Good question. Perhaps there is the hope that acting in a manner that ends the conflict sooner (for the right side) may reduce the damage that otherwise would occur.
"The right side" is the problem. Assad is an ass but Al Quada or ISIS has proven to be not such a good choice in other countries that have fallen to them. The US administration helped the insurgents eliminate Qaddafi who was an ass but life in Libya only got much worse for its citizens.

"The right side" is the problem. Assad is an ass but Al Quada or ISIS has proven to be not such a good choice in other countries that have fallen to them. The US administration helped the insurgents eliminate Qaddafi who was an ass but life in Libya only got much worse for its citizens.

Oh come on Skeptic, who would have thought that ousting a viscious but stability-inducing dictator from power would lead to chaos, anarchy and hell for the people he previously ruled? Its not like this happened before so who can blame us?

Why?

No one has any opinion?

Here goes then.

It looks like you are saying US started bombing forces opposing Assad (that would be Al Qaeda) but I can't find the news sources for that.

Why?

No one has any opinion?

Here goes then.

It looks like you are saying US started bombing forces opposing Assad (that would be Al Qaeda) but I can't find the news sources for that.
Did you look at the time stamp on the post you quoted? That was in 2014, and the target was Al Qaeda's Khorasan group.

ISIS was bound to happen as long as Iran and Saudi Arabia kept fiddling as the Arab world burned. America and the west, Russia and China in the east, and neutral industrial nations are at the mercy of these players as long as petro energy dominates supplies. Without going to war ourselves we can't control events in the ME. We are bringing it to a boil with our polluting the atmosphere and increasing temperatures there beyond tolerable limits.

Fiddling??

Both sides are throwing gas on the fire, not fiddling. ISIS is simply a particularly nasty manifestation of the ongoing Sunni/Shia war.

Did you look at the time stamp on the post you quoted? That was in 2014, and the target was Al Qaeda's Khorasan group.
LOL, I did but I missed the year .... and month :)
Who is that bastard who revived 2 year old thread?

Back
Top Bottom