• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syria, Turks, and Kurds

Isn't Trump supposed to be the greatest dealmaker of all time? Why didn't he even try to negotiate an agreement between the Kurds and Turkey?

Stupid so powerful, you need to watch it to believe it.
[YOUTUBE]RHkd4t8or9w[/YOUTUBE]

Even more... oi. *sigh*
[youtube]HNUdZZmHQJs[/youtube]

This is a kind of simplistic analysis you generally don't expect from people with nobels.
In reality it all looks like Erdogan finally succeeded in convincing Assad that he is better to be "friend" with him than with Kurds. Putin who is currently a friend with both is fine with anything which gets him mission-accomplished out of Syria. US has very little leverage once Assad and Erdogan are "friends" again. Sucks to be kurd in Syria.

Last edited:

The irony of posting all those insane conspiracies while complaining that the right are the tin foil hat wearers is priceless.

Is Mr. Krugman going to go fight with the Kurds he loves so much?

Or is he a chickenhawk, like all leftists who are demanding troops stay?

Now all of a sudden it's not so easy to make fun of "people who refuse to go to war", is it?

I joined the US military, not the Kurdish military.

And I bet you served with "great honor".
The Spec Ops people I know are so sad and embarrassed right now. They hate abandoning those who have fought and died beside them to slaughter.
I don't suppose (based on your posts) you ever felt like that - after all, you didn't join THEIR fucking militaries...

This is a kind of simplistic analysis you generally don't expect from people with nobels.
In reality it all looks like Erdogan finally succeeded in convincing Assad that he is better to be "friend" with him than with Kurds. Putin who is currently a friend with both is fine with anything which gets him mission-accomplished out of Syria. US has very little leverage once Assad and Erdogan are "friends" again. Sucks to be kurd in Syria.

You're basically confirming Krugman.

I'm not surprised that the left abandoned its principles just to be on the opposite side of Trump.

Leftists: "No more troops needlessly dying! Bring them all home! No more War!

Trump: "OK, i'm bringing them home, guys."

Leftists: "No! Not now! We need to stay and fight with the Kurds! More of our men need to die!"

:picardfacepalm:

These are the same ones that say stuff like, "We shouldn't be the world's police. Just let countries do whatever they want....but also if Israel tries to genocide the Middle East we're sending troops to stop them!"

I will put it in the simplest terms for you, even though I know you won't get it. Our troops in Syria were not fighting anyone, they were only providing support. The simple fact that they were there providing support to the Kurds kept Turkey from attacking the Kurds. Had we stayed there in support of the Kurds, Turkey would not be attacking them now. If a leftist takes the position that avoiding senseless loss of life is paramount, then keeping our troops in Syria to support the Kurds, and to keep Turkey from slaughtering them wholesale, is entirely compatible with that position.

Why does Paul Krugman only use Apple products? Because he always breaks Windows.

I joined the US military, not the Kurdish military.

And I bet you served with "great honor".
The Spec Ops people I know are so sad and embarrassed right now. They hate abandoning those who have fought and died beside them to slaughter.
I don't suppose (based on your posts) you ever felt like that - after all, you didn't join THEIR fucking militaries...

When I signed up, I took an oath to the US constitution. So did all other service members. How does protecting one "ally" from another "ally" protect and defend the US constitution? Remember, the Turks are also our "allies", which means you advocate fighting against an "ally".

If you examine our complex foreign policy, you will find that each alliance or enmity is based on some other alliance or enmity, which is in turn based on some other alliance or enmity, forming a very elaborate inter-connected lattice with thousands of pieces connecting to each other and the whole connected to NOTHING AT ALL! The "vital interest" in supporting the Kurds is someone else is fighting someone else and that has nothing to do with the US. Our entire foreign policy is the result of our foreign policy. Neocons like you think that situation is good.

Remember, the Turks are also our "allies", which means you advocate fighting against an "ally".

I don't hold the same opinion as you or them because I support option#3, but it should be mentioned that you are completely wrong. When US soldiers stayed in the zone, it caused a tentative peace between both the Turks and Kurds. Now that the Turks have invaded, Kurds and civilians are being murdered.

In any case, you made a false dichotomy between protecting one or another ally. Since staying with the Kurds protects them both from fighting, that wasn't a choice you presented.

Your claim is illogical.

Q.E.D.

Why does Paul Krugman only use Apple products? Because he always breaks Windows.

When I signed up, I took an oath to the US constitution. So did all other service members. How does protecting one "ally" from another "ally" protect and defend the US constitution? Remember, the Turks are also our "allies", which means you advocate fighting against an "ally".

Who here is advocating that we fight Turkey? All I see is people saying we shouldn't have dropped our support of the Kurds, because that allowed Turkey to pick a fight with them. If we had stayed put, our two allies would not be fighting now.

Who here is advocating that we fight Turkey? All I see is people saying we shouldn't have dropped our support of the Kurds, because that allowed Turkey to pick a fight with them. If we had stayed put, our two allies would not be fighting now.

Which indicates that if we were to stay 10 more years, then on 10 years and a day they would start fighting. The only solution is to either get out of the way of their fight or stay there forever.

If we're going to stay forever, they should apply for statehood. There is a constitutional process for that.

Which indicates that if we were to stay 10 more years, then on 10 years and a day they would start fighting. The only solution is to either get out of the way of their fight or stay there forever.

If we're going to stay forever, they should apply for statehood. There is a constitutional process for that.

How long have we had bases in Europe, military stationed against a war that has not happened yet? Keeping the peace through the threat of our preparedness to respond?

This is something we already do. We have military stationed all over the planet, projecting our might and our threat to protect our interests and the interests of our allies.
So, yeah. If our sitting in the living room keeps the kids from beating each other up over the TV channel, it's a small price to pay for the benefits reaped.

I glad that you agree that no one here was advocating that we fight Turkey and that your previous argument is invalid.

Your new argument is a matter for some debate. Things could change over the course of 10 years, and an administration that cares more about not letting our allies slaughter each other would do their best to broker a deal between the two sides.

Then take the leaders and put them at a table with each other, don't put our troops in between them.

You realize that right now, Turkey is pummeling the Kurds, don't you? If not, maybe turn on your TV, or consult a non-right-wing news source. We very much do need to put our troops between them while we bring them to the table.

Then take the leaders and put them at a table with each other, don't put our troops in between them.

That is another false dichotomy. Staying with the Kurds decreases bloodshed of both allies. In the meantime, you can also "take the leaders and put them at a table with each other." The options are not mutually exclusive and lead to better peace prospects since there is leverage for the Turks.

Back
Top Bottom