• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Bible And Slavery

Note to self.
Try to ignore all the annoying, conceited, pretentious atheists who act as if they are the only ones who have "actually read the bible".

Oh, it's not just atheists who think you obviously haven't read Joshua. "Peaceful", indeed. The Israelites barely manage to restrain themselves from slaughtering each other en masse, let alone how they treat the other Palestinian peoples.

You're welcome to join the chorus of annoying, conceited, pretentious and logically fallacious argument which starts and ends with...
"...you don't agree with me therefore you must not have read the bible".

Last edited:
Note to self.
Try to ignore all the annoying, conceited, pretentious atheists who act as if they are the only ones who have "actually read the bible".

Oh, it's not just atheists who think you obviously haven't read Joshua. "Peaceful", indeed. The Israelites barely manage to restrain themselves from slaughtering each other en masse, let alone how they treat the other Palestinian peoples.

You're welcome to join the chorus of annoying, conceited, pretentious and logically fallacious argument which starts and ends with...
"...you don't agree with me therefore you must not have read the bible".

Like, literally the whole book is the Israelites making war on people. And no, they weren't all offered peace.

My point is that the Canaanite war(s) were the end result of escalating hostility directed at the Israelites by violent, warlike tribes who refused to let the Israelites settle peacefully as was their desire.

bilby asks... how can you settle an already occupied territory, without invading it? But it wasn't "occupied" in any sovereign sense.

If I go to the beach and put my beach towel and umbrella and esky/cooler down somewhere, I'm not 'invading' the surrounding inhabitant's sovereign beach territory.

Them : Hey Lion, eff off. This is my beach.
Me : Err, um...well, God told me I could sit here.

Terra Nullius?

Really?

What is this, 1820?

Christ almighty on a pushbike, are you seriously invoking a principle that's as on the nose as Naziism in defence of your religion?

That's fucking epic. I always thought that I would only encounter such attitudes in historical texts. I had no idea that there were still people who considered the doctrine of Terra Nullius to be an acceptable way to behave. It's like meeting someone who genuinely supports Pol Pot's reforms of Cambodian society, or Genghis Khan's plan to occupy, well, everywhere, through genocide.

Man, you're a real throwback to the 1200s CE.

I disagree. It IS how you interpret what you read. Meaning.. it means differently (context) to a whole variety of people. Anyone can find what seems to them, contradictions, with how someone else reads it as. Depending on how your own world-view is, in comparison.

The christian conquerors of the americas would save their enemies' souls by killing them in the name of the cross. It's all in the interpretation, genocide in the name of goodness and compassion. Hypocrisy much?

The slavers often pontificated on how they were elevating the African savage by bringing him/her to a civilized land, where they might, in some fantasized future, be equal to the responsibility of living free, among the whites. This line was being pushed retroactively all through the Jim Crow era. Enslaving them was a Christian act of uplift.

I disagree. It IS how you interpret what you read. Meaning.. it means differently (context) to a whole variety of people. Anyone can find what seems to them, contradictions, with how someone else reads it as. Depending on how your own world-view is, in comparison.

The christian conquerors of the americas would save their enemies' souls by killing them in the name of the cross. It's all in the interpretation, genocide in the name of goodness and compassion. Hypocrisy much?

Much hypocrisy yes, merited case by case. You must of got that bit that Jesus was talking about - like the not what to do... in His name.

...There is no arguing that Deuteronomy 20 describes systematic genocide of all of said inhabitants

Who are you talking to? Who is arguing otherwise? Not me. The pages of the bible are littered with war and death.

There is no arguing that America dropped two atomic bombs on women and children. Is that grounds for a polemic assault on the science/scientists who 'discovered' this novel way to murder thousands of human beings in minutes?

Time for a derail thread. Start here.
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...le-And-Slavery&p=855327&viewfull=1#post855327

Or here...

Lion IRC said:
Yes, the bible depicts prisoners of war - horrible war, undesirable war, wars started by men - and these prisoners were called slaves. But this enslavement was the lesser of two evils. Female prisoners of war would not necessarily have been worse off. And the war (greed and racism) which precipitated the enslavement was not and never has been positively approved of by God.

Biblical wars are, in every case, started by humans and God's intervention is always to hasten the end of that war.

Here's the deal Lion. I am not accusing you of not being familiar with the Bible. And I certainly don't think of myself as some expert on the subject (atheist or otherwise). But words mean things, and the clear wording of certain passages of the Bible mean things that are contradictory to the message you're trying to push.

You have made two clear claims in this thread that are inconsistent with what the books of Deuteronomy and Joshua claim.

• The Israelites only intended to peacefully settle in the lands without conflict.
  • All Biblical wars are started by humans and God's intervention is always to hasten the end of that war.

It is my contention that the text of the Bible disagrees with you.

Your justification for these claims is a passage in Deuteronomy 2. You referenced Deuteronomy 2:26, a passage that mentions "words of peace" that were sent to Sihon, the king of Heshbon. At first glance this passage would seem to agree with both claims. But it does not because this entire passage (Deuteronomy 2) is describing their journey, not their settling. The passage is quite clear that it was their original intent to pass through Heshbon, not settle there. To use this passage as support for "peaceful settlers" is grossly inappropriate. Until you bring up a passage that describes them preparing to settle and dwell (not just pass through) the land you have not justified these claims.

Deuteronomy 2 is a list of places they intended to pass through on their way to the lands they intended to dwell in (or according to the story line, the lands that Yahweh had promised to them). If you want to argue that they intended to be "Peaceful Travelers" I would agree wholeheartedly with that statement, as it is supported in the text. There was no indicated premeditation on the part of Yahweh or the Israelites to fight anyone during their journey to the promised lands.
The wars they engaged in during their journey to the promised lands were started by the people who would not allow them to pass through peacefully, specifically Heshbon (Deut 2) and Bashan (Deut 3). The next couple of chapters are a bit of a history recap including yet another version of the 10 commandments. Deuteronomy 6 gets into the meat of what is to happen now that they are about to begin "peacefully settling" in the lands which Yahweh has promised them. Let's see how that process is described:
Deuteronomy 6:10-12

And it shall be, when the LORD thy God shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not,

And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full;

Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Bear in mind that the two wars described in Deuteronomy 2 and 3 were not over any of what can be called the "Promised Land." These were lands that Yahweh ostensibly had not planned to give to the Israelites. Their intention was to pass through peacefully so they could arrive at the land of promise.

In this passage the description of this FUTURE EVENT is not one of peaceful settlement. It is a description of the Israelites being given great cities that they did not build, houses full of loot, wells, vineyards and olive trees that were dug and planted by the efforts of others. Only the most tortured apologetic would argue that Yahweh just expected that these people who had worked so hard to create these things would just peacefully relinquish them to these peaceful settlers, giving them their houses, vineyards and olive trees. That was never the intention. The current residents of these cities were to be exterminated and their property would become that of the Israelites. All of this was planned by Yahweh before it ever happened.

But lest we be accused of making unwarranted assumptions about how Yahweh planned for all of this to go down let's just double-check. Deuteronomy 7 (the next chapter) provides us with a clear picture of what the intention is, and this plan is provided before anyone begins fighting.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2

When the LORD thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and hath cast out many nations before thee, the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than thou;

And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them:

The passage goes on to justify why this is necessary (because if you don't utterly destroy them they'll corrupt you and turn you away from following Yahweh).

Look, I'm not trying to engage in any sort of polemic against the Bible. I'm simply pointing out what it actually says. I don't think myself a better scholar of the book than you are. But I honestly believe you are misrepresenting what it says.
I understand that if you want to believe in a Yahweh who is all loving and noble it's difficult to reconcile such a position with passages like this, and with passages that regulate the practice of slavery without condemning it. I get that. I'm not burdened with this sort of agenda so I get to read the book with all its warts and accept that it just says what it says. With all of its pearls of wisdom it is still a sometimes barbaric legacy of a time in our history when a very different zeitgeist reigned supreme.

Much hypocrisy yes, merited case by case. You must of got that bit that Jesus was talking about - like the not what to do... in His name.

But they were only interpreting, same as you. Therefore there was no hypocrisy, no genocide, no destruction, no murder, no enslavement according to their christian faith. They were performing love of neighbor, saving their souls from eternal damnation by killing them. They were interpreting.

Who are you talking to? Who is arguing otherwise? Not me. The pages of the bible are littered with war and death.

There is no arguing that America dropped two atomic bombs on women and children. Is that grounds for a polemic assault on the science/scientists who 'discovered' this novel way to murder thousands of human beings in minutes?

Time for a derail thread. Start here.
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...le-And-Slavery&p=855327&viewfull=1#post855327

Or here...

Here's the deal Lion. I am not accusing you of not being familiar with the Bible. And I certainly don't think of myself as some expert on the subject (atheist or otherwise). But words mean things, and the clear wording of certain passages of the Bible mean things that are contradictory to the message you're trying to push.

He knows that. It has been the cultural norm for all of human history to shelter behind religion while acting criminally. Lion didn't invent it.

But they were only interpreting, same as you. Therefore there was no hypocrisy, no genocide, no destruction, no murder, no enslavement according to their christian faith. They were performing love of neighbor, saving their souls from eternal damnation by killing them. They were interpreting.

They were giving interpretations yes, but are you sure those particular people who led the charge/ congregation believe they were doing the things God wanted them to do? I admit and concur followers of any leader what ever faith or tradition will do blindly what they're told to do even to the extreme....

... Leaders imo usually know what they do. Christian Justin Peters for a quick example below, demonstrates the scenario today (although Vid dated 2015) why he thinks these leading "believers" have different motives to that of God and the Gospel teachings. 'By Their Fruits you shall know them...'

False Teachers exposed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptN2KQ7-euQ

They were giving interpretations yes, but are you sure those particular people who led the charge/ congregation believe they were doing the things God wanted them to do? I admit and concur followers of any leader what ever faith or tradition will do blindly what they're told to do even to the extreme....

... Leaders imo usually know what they do. Christian Justin Peters for a quick example below, demonstrates the scenario today (although Vid dated 2015) why he thinks these leading "believers" have different motives to that of God and the Gospel teachings. 'By Their Fruits you shall know them...'

False Teachers exposed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptN2KQ7-euQ

Well, thanks for the vid. I actually watched the whole thing because the first parts about the prosperity preachers and how they feed of the less fortunate is something you and I likely agree on. But in the end this guy is just another crank mystic.

If he really believed in doing the things he seems to encourage at the fore of his video then he can do all those things without all the stupidity associated with religious magic and indulgent emotionalism. His message could have been much shorter and more effective, and should have been.

And of course the ability to comment is turned off so all he's doing is controlling the microphone and denying disagreement. He says such stupid things like when a person is in hell that person hates god all the more. He's just so full of shit that anyone with half a brain should go listen to the prosperity preachers because at least they make someone happy.

...words mean things, and the clear wording of certain passages of the Bible mean things that are contradictory to the message you're trying to push.

I'm not 'pushing' any message other than that the (stateless) Israelites were not an invading army, and the hostilities were instigated by actual armies/warrior tribes who thought they could bully God's chosen people - a big mistake. I certainly don't resile from the facts in the text which show that, with God's help, the Israelites engaged fearsomely in their bloody response to aggressors. Peaceful coexistence was never given a chance. But that's not because the Israelites wanted war.

You have made two clear claims in this thread that are inconsistent with what the books of Deuteronomy and Joshua claim.

Show me the 'claims' made in Deuteronomy and/or Joshua about the Israelites rejecting offers of peaceful coexistence? Time and time again, the Lord cautions the Israelites about not invading/trespassing on land which belongs to other people. Why? They don't have to steal land because God is going to GIVE them land.

• The Israelites only intended to peacefully settle in the lands without conflict.
  • All Biblical wars are started by humans and God's intervention is always to hasten the end of that war.

It is my contention that the text of the Bible disagrees with you.

Start a derail thread.

Your justification for these claims is a passage in Deuteronomy 2. You referenced Deuteronomy 2:26, a passage that mentions "words of peace" that were sent to Sihon, the king of Heshbon. At first glance this passage would seem to agree with both claims.

You can go back to Exodus to find even more examples of peaceful intent. Again, you're arguing backwards. The Israelites fought their enemies, therefore they must have always been intent on war.

But it does not because this entire passage (Deuteronomy 2) is describing their journey, not their settling. The passage is quite clear that it was their original intent to pass through Heshbon, not settle there. To use this passage as support for "peaceful settlers" is grossly inappropriate. Until you bring up a passage that describes them preparing to settle and dwell (not just pass through) the land you have not justified these claims.

They had been preparing to settle and dwell in the Promised Land for decades/centuries.

Deuteronomy 2 is a list of places they intended to pass through on their way to the lands they intended to dwell in (or according to the story line, the lands that Yahweh had promised to them). If you want to argue that they intended to be "Peaceful Travelers" I would agree wholeheartedly with that statement, as it is supported in the text.

Of course you do and you must. They were not an army passing thru on its way to fight a war elsewhere. This ain't the Crusades. They were stateless, wandering refugees going to a land where they expected to live in peace. But on the way they encountered hostility which, in self-defense, they reciprocated.

There was no indicated premeditation on the part of Yahweh or the Israelites to fight anyone during their journey to the promised lands.

Exactly my point. Where is the text saying to Moses or Joshua, "hey guys save your energy. Youre going need it for the great big Invasion Day battle when we attack Jericho.".

The wars they engaged in during their journey to the promised lands were started by the people who would not allow them to pass through peacefully, specifically Heshbon (Deut 2) and Bashan (Deut 3).

That's what I keep saying.
Peaceful Israelites being attacked by hostile warlords. And the Israelites awesome self-defense becomes the stuff of legend and word spreads - their reputation precedes them. Then comes Jericho, and by that stage the Israelites are effectively already 'at war' with all the enemies they have made.

The next couple of chapters are a bit of a history recap including yet another version of the 10 commandments. Deuteronomy 6 gets into the meat of what is to happen now that they are about to begin "peacefully settling" in the lands which Yahweh has promised them. Let's see how that process is described:

I know the text. Yadda yadda.

And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full...

In this passage the description of this FUTURE EVENT is not one of peaceful settlement. It is a description of the Israelites being given great cities that they did not build, houses full of loot, wells, vineyards and olive trees that were dug and planted by the efforts of others. Only the most tortured apologetic would argue that Yahweh just expected that these people who had worked so hard to create these things would just peacefully relinquish them to these peaceful settlers, giving them their houses, vineyards and olive trees.

Wealthy prosperous people live in houses they didn't build and enjoy gardens they don't tend to themselves. They don't clean their own swimming pools. It doesn't take 'tortured apologetics' to understand that the land of milk and honey was a vision of having wealth and prosperity such that you could pay other people to milk your cows and gather your grapes and press your olives.

That was never the intention.

Says the atheist who routinely asks folks like me how we could possibly know such things as what God 'intended'. You show me where God's ancient promise To His chosen people specifies that the promised land will have to be fought for.

The current residents of these cities were to be exterminated and their property would become that of the Israelites. All of this was planned by Yahweh before it ever happened.

Of all the bible verses we've seen so far in this thread, none back this claim. The Canaanites could have made peace with the Israelites. But they chose their own fate when they opted for war.

But lest we be accused of making unwarranted assumptions about how Yahweh planned for all of this to go down let's just double-check. Deuteronomy 7 (the next chapter) provides us with a clear picture of what the intention is, and this plan is provided before anyone begins fighting.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2

When the LORD thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and hath cast out many nations before thee, the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than thou;

Yep. Greater and mightier than thou. (Think David and Goliath)
Which side was the aggressor?

And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them:

Citing bible verses where the war has already started doesn't make your case.
Of course war is hell. Of course the doctrine of total war is in full view.
Preferring peace doesn't mean you're a pacifist.
Why would we expect God to have the Israelites pull their punches? So the war can go on a little bit longer than necessary?

The passage goes on to justify why this is necessary (because if you don't utterly destroy them they'll corrupt you and turn you away from following Yahweh).

The Canaanites were not very nice. Nor the Amallekites. Nor the Philistines. Nor the.....

I understand that if you want to believe in a Yahweh who is all loving and noble it's difficult to reconcile such a position with passages like this,

There's nothing irreconcilable about God's love and His wanting to hasten the end of wars started by wicked people. Politesse might find such chapters difficult but not me.

and with passages that regulate the practice of slavery without condemning it. I get that. I'm not burdened with this sort of agenda so I get to read the book with all its warts and accept that it just says what it says.

The bible DOES condemn slavery. So any other passing references to the practice - servants, servitude, bondage, wage slavery, selling yourself into slavery, slaving over a hot stove, slave to love...are just that.
The bible says there will always be poor people. That's NOT and endorsement!!!

With all of its pearls of wisdom it is still a sometimes barbaric legacy of a time in our history when a very different zeitgeist reigned supreme.

Zeitgeist? Really? More people passively accept the existence of slavery today in 2020 than the Zeitgeist of Greco/Roman biblical times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag...y is a term,dependence is total and immediate.

You wanna do something about slavery? Trust me. The bible is the least of your problems

Well, thanks for the vid. I actually watched the whole thing because the first parts about the prosperity preachers and how they feed of the less fortunate is something you and I likely agree on. But in the end this guy is just another crank mystic.

Ok but not the type of "crank" (as you call it), to go and take advantage of poor souls.

If he really believed in doing the things he seems to encourage at the fore of his video then he can do all those things without all the stupidity associated with religious magic and indulgent emotionalism. His message could have been much shorter and more effective, and should have been.

Moogs, you say that about all theists but we agree on the first half at least.

And of course the ability to comment is turned off so all he's doing is controlling the microphone and denying disagreement. He says such stupid things like when a person is in hell that person hates god all the more. He's just so full of shit that anyone with half a brain should go listen to the prosperity preachers because at least they make someone happy.

I think you highlighted one of the possible problems with some churches, in which you oddly seem to go along with.. "at least it makes someone happy" regardless.

(There are other videos that do have their comment section on, I picked that vid randomly)

Ok but not the type of "crank" (as you call it), to go and take advantage of poor souls.

Moogs, you say that about all theists but we agree on the first half at least.

I think you highlighted one of the possible problems with some churches, in which you oddly seem to go along with.. "at least it makes someone happy" regardless.

(There are other videos that do have their comment section on, I picked that vid randomly)
If you would be so christian as to direct me thither I will be in your debt. :)

Ok, first repeat and say " I renounce atheism and...."

wait a minute moogsy...do you mean: direct you to the videos with the comment section switched on?

A justified way of renouncing atheism would be if evidence for the existence of a God was found....which could be a long, long wait.

To choose your own path based on factors you have no control over, genetics, circumstances, desires, fears, or things that you may have no awareness of?
Yet all of this being perfectly transparent to Omniscience? What does this say about God?

Based on the factors of the physics I would agree in part, but then, even within the natural boundries of physics, there is STILL room to maneuver one's WILL about, so to speak.

You make of it as you will about God.

Back
Top Bottom