• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus vs. ?

Mike Davis' book The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament is a brief (179 pp.) discussion of internal and external problems with the NT. It is pitched to the layman, and misses a number of contradictions that I wish he'd put in. (Go back to Cheerful Charlie's post #17 on pg 1 for a short list of these problems.)
If the four gospel writers presented their testimony in court, one after the other, they'd have a hard time with a well-prepared prosecutor. Can you imagine Matthew's predicament? "So, Matt -- may I call you Matt? -- you say that many dead people came out of their graves and walked around in Jerusalem when Jesus was executed. And you say many people saw them. Many!! Yet your three fellow authors report no such event. Do you have ANY evidence from ANY other source that these -- these zombie people -- got out of their graves? Can you supply any names of people who saw this happen? And incidentally, where did the 'dead' folks go after they walked around town? Did they take rooms at an inn? Did they buy lunch for their fellow zombies? Did they climb back in their graves? Well, DID they? Let the record show, witness is shaking head no...Now, Matt, let's go to the tomb story. You say that Jesus' mother and 'the other Mary' went to the tomb and experienced a violent earthquake, at which time they saw an angel roll away the stone. But we've heard from the other three writers, and they tell us that no such thing happened. They say the women got there and found the stone was already rolled away. No earthquake, no angel at work. I must ask you again, are Mark, Luke, and John hiding something, or did you in fact make up the earthquake story? Let the record show, witness is scowling at the floor."
At any rate, if you go into this subject, see if the author covers the basic controversies, on which the gospels do not achieve four-part alignment:
On what day was Jesus executed? (Passover, or, in John's gospel, the day after Passover?)
Did he carry his cross, or was it carried for him?
What was the hour of the crucifixion?
Did both of the thieves revile Jesus, or did one repent and ask for salvation? (If one did, how come Matthew and Mark didn't include this faith-promoting story?)
What were Jesus' last words? (Three versions are given in the four gospels)
Who went to the tomb on "Resurrection morning"?
What/who did they encounter?
What did they do next? And what did Jesus tell them to convey to the disciples?
How many post-Resurrection appearances of Jesus were there?
Christians like to pretend that the gospels are either eye-witness accounts (which they do not claim to be) or based on well-preserved eye-witness testimony (unknowable), and that God Himself inspired the writing of the gospels. But even tiny details like the genealogy of Jesus don't harmonize...and details about the most momentous event, the key event on which the religion is based, are impossible to harmonize among the four gospels (and Acts, which sometimes comments on the Passion week.)

Dear Swammerdami,

Thanks for your reply.

You are using the perspective of natural science to analyze the prospects of Jesus's resurrection. But are Christians claiming that Jesus rose again through natural processes?

The key paragraph in my post was
Swammerdami said:
If you are prepared to accept the Christian message, and that Jesus did other impossible things, e.g. turning water into wine, then I will not try to dissuade you. Regard this post as an explanation of why *I* do not believe.

Regarding hallucination theory, you quoted some of my arguments against it, and then said:
I find NONE of these arguments convincing. Rather than Hallucination, self-hypnosis or mass hypnosis might have been in play.
As I said on that blog post, I couldn't find any psychologists/psychiatrist promoting the disciples-hallucinated theory. Do you know of any psychologists/psychologists promoting the disciples-experienced-mass-hypnosis theory?

No. But what does "mass hypnosis" even mean? Today we have charismatic preachers who are able to induce some of their followers to "speak in tongues." Similar charismatic preaching can induce followers to perceive a spiritual Jesus. Is this not akin to "mass hypnosis"?

I fall back on Bishop Spong's book to explain the "Resurrection." I am NOT saying his speculation is certainly correct -- it's just one book I happened to buy by chance -- but it seems worth considering BECAUSE it is the speculation of a devout Christian who believes in Everlasting Life and who has studied relevant documents. In the book he mentions several other Christian scholars who do not believe in a physical Resurrection.

In Spong's reconstruction, the Gospels' depiction of the last week of Jesus' life is almost all fiction; what is left is mostly in distorted chronology. There was no Judas. The only truthful detail between arrest and burial (excepting the fact of crucifixion by Pontius Pilate) was "And they all forsook him and fled." He was dumped in a mass grave, and his particular body never identified. If the "Empty Tomb" has any reality, it is just Mary Magdalene's dismay at finding how the corpses of Pilate's victims had been treated.

Simon (probably not yet "Peter") crossed the Jordan for safety and returned via desert to Galilee, where he grieved for months. He worked as a fisherman and brooded. How could the man he worshiped as a Messiah have died hung from a tree? How could the Jewish religious authorities have been wrong about him? One day after a particularly good catch of fish, he saw in a flash that Jesus WAS the Messiah, and that he would live on if the disciples followed his teachings and preached his methods. Simon Peter organized the Triumphal ("Palm Sunday") entry to Jerusalem during the Feast of Tabernacles. Plenty of scriptural (midrash) evidence can be found for this chronology.

You might be right to dismiss this speculation if it were from an atheist. In fact it comes from a devout Christian Bishop.
Hi Swammer,

I think the last chunk of your response I hadn't gotten to yet was your comments on Spong. However, I also started thinking I should go ahead and start working my way through the Ehrman book (How Jesus Became God), because then I could kill two birds with one stone. Since there seems to be significant alignment between Ehrman and Spong, and I was going to read Ehrman anyway, I think I'll dive into the Ehrman book because it should better prepare me to discuss Spong's arguments.

(You probably knew about this already, but Ehrman wrote a glowing In Memoriam for Spong, even going so far as to say that he and Spong had similar missions.)

However, one item they apparently disagree on is Judas. Per your comment, Spong contends there was no Judas; Ehrman contends (with "relative certainty") that Judas was one of the twelve and did in fact betray Jesus. Ehrman says this "datum is not only multiply attested by independent sources, it passes with flying colors the critierion of dissimilarity". Interested in your response to this, but I have to warn you I'm probably going to transition to the Ehrman book soon and so my response will be delayed.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, Swammer.

GWAQ

Back
Top Bottom