• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The hush money indictment

Polling confirms the verdict impacts little. Again, a generally partisan view of the results. Appears half of Independents indicated they "didn't give a fuck one way or the other".

Seems like Trump could shoot TSwizzle on Fifth Avenue and it wouldn't impact the vote for Trump.

They think Biden made it impossible for Central Florida Yamaha to deliver the 90 HP VMAX outboard that I ordered for my work boat in 2019 before the fiscal year deadline in September 2020. In spite pf the insane tax bill of 2017 they say the Democrats make the rich richer and the poor poorer. So nothing The GOP/Trump does or says will turn them off.

One thing for sure; we are going to find out a lot about who we are in fairly short order.
Will we? I'd say one of the shittest things about life under an autocratic government is that you don't and can't really know who your fellow citizens are. Hard to gauge what someone really thinks when you all have to watch what you say.

Judge in Trump's hush money trial delays sentencing following Supreme Court immunity ruling
he judge overseeing Donald Trump's New York criminal case approved a delay of the former president's sentencing Tuesday after his lawyers asked for more time to argue that the Supreme Court's immunity decision calls for a new trial.

The sentencing hearing, previously scheduled for July 11, will now take place Sept. 18 at the earliest, according to a letter posted on the court's docket.

The delay guarantees that Trump won't be sentenced until after he is formally nominated for president at the Republican National Convention, which begins July 15, and that sentencing will happen less than two months before the presidential election.

Trump argues New York conviction ‘must be vacated’ after Supreme Court immunity decision

Donald Trump urged the judge in his New York hush money case to dismiss his conviction in light of the Supreme Court’s ruling on presidential immunity last month, according to a new court filing.

Trump’s lawyers argued in a 55-page filing that the jury’s guilty verdict should be vacated because the district attorney’s office relied on evidence at trial related to Trump’s official acts as president, which Trump’s lawyers asserted should not have been permitted in light of the Supreme Court’s recent immunity decision.

“In order to vindicate the Presidential immunity doctrine, and protect the interests implicated by its underpinnings, the jury’s verdicts must be vacated and the Indictment dismissed,” Trump’s attorneys wrote to Judge Juan Merchan.

The Manhattan district attorney “violated the Presidential immunity doctrine and the Supremacy Clause by relying on evidence relating to President Trump’s official acts in 2017 and 2018 to unfairly prejudice President Trump in this unprecedented and unfounded prosecution relating to purported business records,” Trump’s attorneys wrote. “Much of the unconstitutional official-acts evidence concerned actions taken pursuant to ‘core’ Executive power for which ‘absolute’ immunity applies.”

This is so fucked up.

I ponder the issue of 'go fuck yourself'. SCOTUS invented the right in their decision. It wasn't an apparent right or a settled understanding. So the judge didn't err.

Donald Trump seeks to delay sentencing in Stormy Daniels trial until after election
Trump’s sentencing in New York was originally slated for July, but the judge pushed it back to Sept. 18 after the Supreme Court carved out at least presumptive criminal immunity for former presidents’ official acts.

Trump does not claim immunity from the hush money charges themselves, but he asserts that prosecutors at trial improperly introduced immunized evidence, so his verdict must be wiped as a result. Prosecutors have pushed back on the argument, and Merchan is set to rule on the matter two days before sentencing.

Trump’s attorneys said the small gap is an “unreasonably short period of time,” signaling the former president will immediately attempt to appeal if the judge rejects his immunity arguments.

“The requested adjournment is also necessary to allow President Trump adequate time to assess and pursue state and federal appellate options in response to adverse ruling,” the letter reads.
Trump seems to have an unlimited supply of money to finance his legal obstructionism, money from his supporters and from his party, money that could have been used for the campaigns of his fellow Republicans.

Silver lining...

On the other hand, with it being delayed, more campaign money goes to his lawyers.

Oh look, another delay. Totally not shocking anymore at this point. Almost like nothing is going to be done.

Oh look, another delay. Totally not shocking anymore at this point. Almost like nothing is going to be done.
After reading the judge's reasoning for the delay, I kinda' agree with it. He said he wanted to avoid even the appearance of bias in his decision and the delay would do that. That's basically a requirement of all judges. Too bad the Republican appointed judges don't follow that practice.

After reading the judge's reasoning for the delay, I kinda' agree with it. He said he wanted to avoid even the appearance of bias in his decision and the delay would do that. That's basically a requirement of all judges. Too bad the Republican appointed judges don't follow that practice.
Agree. It would have put the public’s attention back on Cheato, and possibly given him another grievance to wail about.

Except one can argue the delay is just another example of the special treatment Trump has received his entire life. It is bias in favor of Trump.

Either way, the judge looks biased. IMHO, if no other defendant facing felony sentencing would receive a delay, then neither should Trump.

Except one can argue the delay is just another example of the special treatment Trump has received his entire life. It is bias in favor of Trump.

Either way, the judge looks biased. IMHO, if no other defendant facing felony sentencing would receive a delay, then neither should Trump.
I suppose it could be viewed as such. The judge said specifically that he didn't want to appear to be putting his thumb on the scale of the election.

Last edited:

I suppose it could be viewed as such. The judge said specifically that he didn't want to appear to be putting his thumb on the scale of the election.
IMHO either way he is putting his thumb on the election.

Back
Top Bottom