• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The incredible Willful Ignorance of 1/6 denyers

But so many Aussies are obsessed by you lot.
I must admit, we are mighty flattered by your others fascination. It’s like we’re all reality tv stars. We are all Donald Trump, and we all appreciate your support.
FIFY.
Sorry- your reply got buried under the overnight wall of garbage... but I am a little confused.
Do you mean to say that OTHER Australians are fascinated by American politics, but not you?
That seems a little at odds with the evidence.

OTHER Australians are fascinated by American politics, but not you?

[W]e have politics, history, science — all from the same perspective of wanting to understand what’s going on. I have learned enough about history and the media to know that news reports very rarely provide an understanding of the issues. News reports tend to act more like buttons that switch on public prejudices. National identities are often grounded in myths, the exposure of which can have the potential to foster more civil societies. To understand what’s going on and how we got to where we are is the main preoccupation of this blog.

--Godfrey, Neil (18 December 2016). "Atheism, Vridar and Blogging Research in Religion, History, Politics, Science. . . ". Vridar.

Part of the reason for my delay in posts has been extra time I have been taking on studying a new report by J.M. Berger on the emergence of violent extremist groups. Hopefully the post will be up soon: it addresses that quaint old British-Israelism belief that the lost ten tribes of Israel became the British Commonwealth of nations and the United States of America, and how and why that positively philo-Semitic group of adherents evolved into the anti-Semitic and violent extremist Christian Identity movement.

Meanwhile, I have just learned of another article by J.M. Berger that appeared on online a couple of weeks ago and that is based on the same report I have been studying:

A Dangerous New Americanism published by War on the Rocks:

--Godfrey, Neil (8 May 2017). "A Dangerous New Americanism?". Vridar.

As for the disabled, how do you propose my mother (blind) vote on paper?? The electronic machines have audio outputs, paper does not. In the old days we simply accepted that people like her would need someone in the voting booth to actually mark the ballot but we don't have to do that anymore in most cases. (And the few that need assistance almost certainly are going to vote absentee anyway because getting to the polling station is too much work for them.)
Another advantage of paper ballots. A little easier for disabled and their helpers.
And this is effectively the normalization of lying. Tiger keeps going back to access and accuracy of voting in America. Not because any evidence has suggested this is a problem (other than GOP trying limit access after at first expanding it in 2004ish). No, it keeps coming up because Trump et al repeated a lie so much it is now part of the truth, even while it is 100% false.
I have been back through my posting history.
If you have any evidence where I ever said that Trump was not a raving idiot then please tell us.
Also if you have any évidence that I ever agreed with the claim that the election was stolen then please table it. Otherwise stop putting words in my posts.

But so many Aussies are obsessed by you lot.
I must admit, we are mighty flattered by your others fascination. It’s like we’re all reality tv stars. We are all Donald Trump, and we all appreciate your support.
FIFY.
Sorry- your reply got buried under the overnight wall of garbage... but I am a little confused.
Do you mean to say that OTHER Australians are fascinated by American politics, but not you?
Unfortunately my country is affected by American politics too much. Any fascination I have is similar to that of watching a car crash happen in front of me.

I think we are misunderstanding something. These people who support Trump, poo poo January 6ths, wish January 6th succeeded, ect may not be opposed to democracy. They may feel believe it or not that democracy has been thwarted and their side is the one trying to save it or restore it.

As for the disabled, how do you propose my mother (blind) vote on paper?? The electronic machines have audio outputs, paper does not. In the old days we simply accepted that people like her would need someone in the voting booth to actually mark the ballot but we don't have to do that anymore in most cases. (And the few that need assistance almost certainly are going to vote absentee anyway because getting to the polling station is too much work for them.)
Another advantage of paper ballots. A little easier for disabled and their helpers.
And this is effectively the normalization of lying. Tiger keeps going back to access and accuracy of voting in America. Not because any evidence has suggested this is a problem (other than GOP trying limit access after at first expanding it in 2004ish). No, it keeps coming up because Trump et al repeated a lie so much it is now part of the truth, even while it is 100% false.
I have been back through my posting history.
If you have any evidence where I ever said that Trump was not a raving idiot then please tell us.
Also if you have any évidence that I ever agreed with the claim that the election was stolen then please table it. Otherwise stop putting words in my posts.
You misunderstood the point of my post. I wasn't suggested you were agreeing with Trump. I was saying that you were speaking about it because Trump has normalized lying and made his fiction into a topic of conversation. It isn't just you. GOP run states in the US have been passing legislation to tighten election security, something that wasn't even an issue. But Trump made these claims repeatedly, and legislation was passed. And you keep bringing up aspects on how America could improve voting by fixing the things that aren't an issue.

Trump hacked America and the truth.

Any fascination I have is similar to that of watching a car crash happen in front of me.
So, pretty intense then?
😉
I don't want to speak for Tigers, but I totally get it.

The USA is like the burly playboy rich kid. Thinks he's smarter and better looking than he is. Wears way too much cologne and does too much drugs.

Hard to avoid in a room.
Tom

Or not letting students use their IDs as proof of identify but letting gun owners use their licenses. Or only allowing one drop box per county irrespective of the county’s population. And I won’t even start on gerrymandering.
The gun one is legit--what the law said was government-issued ID with an address. It's quite reasonable to avoid issues over what private ID should or shouldn't be trusted. While driver's licenses are the standard government ID there are various other types. (And, yes, there is government issued ID that doesn't have an address. Passport cards--wallet size, only useful as a passport at US land borders. Using it as ID when traveling has the benefit that anyone seeing it doesn't get the address of an empty house.)

Or not letting students use their IDs as proof of identify but letting gun owners use their licenses. Or only allowing one drop box per county irrespective of the county’s population. And I won’t even start on gerrymandering.
The gun one is legit--what the law said was government-issued ID with an address.
Just because it is legit doesn’t mean it is right , or fair, or not intended to impact voting.

Many of the processes intended to sway elections are technically legal; it is, after all, the people who win those elections who get to write the laws.

The gun one is legit--what the law said was government-issued ID with an address.
Just because it is legit doesn’t mean it is right , or fair, or not intended to impact voting.

Many of the processes intended to sway elections are technically legal; it is, after all, the people who win those elections who get to write the laws.
I don't believe there was intent one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom