• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Marjorie Taylor Greene case

Of course her beliefs are total whackadoodle. On the other hand, how many in Congress believe in some sort of deity that can read their thoughts during prayer and (maybe) act on them. Pretty much all of them, right?

I'll guess — though without much specific evidence — that many top politicians do not actually believe that Jesus walked on water: they pretend to believe in order to fit in and get elected.

... She's elected on a QAnon platform, is found out to be a scumbag. Of course. I think all of those guys are dicks....

Serious question about English usage: since the top definitions of 'dick' imply maleness or a penis, is it proper to refer to Ms. Greene as a 'dick'? Would it be more correct to call her a 'cunt'?

Serious question about English usage: since the top definitions of 'dick' imply maleness or a penis, is it proper to refer to Ms. Greene as a 'dick'? Would it be more correct to call her a 'cunt'?
it's a subtle thing, but... basically the colloquialisms 'dick' and 'cunt' have broadly come to have a dual meaning: one of them being the masculine and feminine equivalent of the same concept, and the other being more specifically a broad set of behaviors.

so while 'dick' and 'cunt' are often used to just mean 'a male or female who is being unpleasant' respectively, those terms are also just as often used to describe a certain set of characteristics associated with both insult.
in the latter instance, a 'dick' is normally someone being aggressive, rude, inconsiderate, narcissistic, selfish, and it tends to imply specific intent - one *means* to be a dick, is acting that way on purpose. 'being a dick' is often used to reference how a person is behaving "he's being a dick" or used to refer to one's general demeanor but not necessarily an inherent aspect of character.

conversely 'cunt' is broadly more associated with being annoying, passive-aggressive, nagging, insistent or demanding, and it tends to imply inherent essence - one *is* a cunt, is acting that way because it's just who they are.

english being the way it is this is of course relative, in this country you can go 2 states over and local culture may use terms completely differently, and so it's not uncommon for there to be a big difference between local use from region to region and then that can be different from the general media use or specific film/TV use.
but, that's how i would explain the difference.

anyways, to directly answer your question, calling her a 'dick' in this case would be uncommon since 'dick' is rarely used to describe women - but it's just uncommon, not in any way incorrect.

Of course her beliefs are total whackadoodle. On the other hand, how many in Congress believe in some sort of deity that can read their thoughts during prayer and (maybe) act on them. Pretty much all of them, right? As insane as MTG's beliefs are, they don't necessarily defy the laws of science as we know them, unlike the religious beliefs of others in Congress. It would be interesting to see if Nancy Pelosi and other Catholics in Congress really believes that snacking on a sacred cracker and some wine at Communion means she is actually tasting the flesh and blood of Jesus. Its a little hard to objectively say whose beliefs score higher on the Crazy-O-Meter.

Everyone holds irrational beliefs, some more irrational and more whackadoodle than others.

It is neither illegal or immoral to be irrational and/or crazy. Most people who have serious mental illness are harmless to others, despite what popular tv shows may depict. However, advocating for the violent overthrow of the government IS actually a crime: https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-18-crimes-and-criminal-procedure/18-usc-sect-2385.html whether such advocation is a result of disordered thinking or an attempt to gain power. My personal opinion is that Greene is both seriously mentally ill and also advocated for the overthrow of the government for personal power. The two conditions are not mutually exclusive. Nor is her mental illness responsible for her other grossly irresponsible and deviant behavior.

Everyone is expected to comply with workplace codes of conduct, which would include not carrying firearms into the workplace, and during the pandemic, wearing a mask, among other violations of work place conduct she routinely engages in.

Greene may be with us for a long time to come.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/marjorie-taylor-greenes-controversies-fueled-huge-fundraising-haul/OA3Q6RIPRNDEPFUO6CZO6QVV7Q/

Two days after U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene filed articles of impeachment against newly inaugurated President Joe Biden, Nashville, Tennessee, real estate developer Bill Acree donated $100 to her reelection campaign.

Acree gave another $100 the day the House Rules Committee voted to strip her of her congressional committees. And another $100 the day after Greene moved to adjourn the House to avoid voting on legislation that protects LGBTQ people from discrimination.

He is among hundreds of conservatives across the nation who poured $3.2 million into Greene’s campaign account during the first three months of 2021, making the freshman lawmaker one of the U.S. House’s most prolific fundraisers.

Most of these contributions probably didn't come from people in Georgia. She has raised more money than any other Congress person, other than Pelosi.

About $654,000 of Greene’s donations were itemized, meaning the supporter gave more than $200 and the campaign was therefore required by law to publicly disclose his or her name, address and other information.

Of those itemized donations, 91% came from people outside of Georgia — the state that Greene represents — according to an Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s analysis of her campaign finance report.

Florida was the state she raised the most itemized money from: $88,000. She got $83,000 from Texas, and $74,000 came from California. She collected $60,000 from Georgia residents, many of whom live outside her 14th Congressional District in the state’s northwest region.

Acree, the donor from Tennessee, said he watched Democrats criticize Greene for comments she made before taking office that they labeled racist, xenophobic and harassing. He doesn’t agree with everything the Rome Republican has said in recent months but likes that she went to Congress with a mission of rooting out corruption in the “deep state” of government.

“I felt like she was interested in addressing all that, and I felt like she was being criticized unduly because of some things that she said in the past,” he said. “I felt like her policies were really good.”

Since she is from one of Georgia's most conservative districts, nobody plans on challenging her in 2022, so we will likely have to deal with Greene for a long time to come.

On Friday, Punchbowl News — a political newsletter — reported that Greene and other conservative representatives were launching the pro-Trump America First Caucus with materials that outlined a nativist and white nationalist mission while also supporting baseless and false claims about America’s election system.

The document references America’s “uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions” and describes mask mandates and social distancing implemented during the coronavirus pandemic as “socially conditioning the culture and behavior of Americans.”

Racists should be happy about this, but the rest of us will find this extremely disturbing.

“This document is nakedly racist and disgusting,” U.S. Rep. Peter Welch of Vermont wrote on Twitter. “This supposed caucus and its members represent a dangerous nativist perspective that hurts our country, but sadly is not surprising.”

Since the article may be behind a paywall, I tried to highlight the most important parts. It's very sad.

This may be right. And we as a naton need to figure out how to deal with a violent fringe.

Having extreme views isn’t so bad. Being in a wing is not so bad. But when that intersects with violent rhetoric - that’s bad.

Crazy religious views when melded with crazy politics (the Christian Dominionists) are volatile. Add a near-religious insistence that any weapon whatsoever be in the public domain, and you have a predictably violent movement.

And the electorates who gave us Ted Cruz.....Lindsey G...........Josh Hawley.........Devin Nunes.........Mattie Gaetz..........Jim Jordan (his district starts 15 miles from my front door.....) .......etc. x a couple hundred.

MTG got butthurt about the release of an "America First Caucus" position paper.

Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "Do you know who really runs this country? ..." / Twitter
Do you know who really runs this country?

The liars & psychotic left wing communists in the media who only care about self-awarded Pulitzers, clicks for cash, and pushing weak politicians around.

On Thursday, I buried my father and held my mother’s hand as we said goodbye.

On Friday, sick and evil POS in the media attacked me with phrases I never said or wrote.

They released a staff level draft proposal from an outside group that I hadn’t read.

The scum and liars in the media are calling me a racist by taking something out of context.

This is just a repeat of Jewish Space Lasers. Another term I never used & the media made up.

It’s more proof so-called journalists lie and create false narratives. The media are the ones focused on race & use it to divide the American people with hate through identity politics.

I believe in America First with all my heart and that means every American, of every race, creed, and color.

I will never back down and I will never stop fighting for America First.

There are tens of millions of Americans who agree.

We are side by side. People over politicians.

The hyenas in the media are terrified. So are the Democrats. And so are the weak politicos that float around whichever the wind blows.

I have plans to drive President Trump’s America First agenda with my Congressional colleagues but we won’t let the media or anyone else push the narrative.

America First policies will save this country for all of us, our children, and ultimately the world.

MTG got butthurt about the release of an "America First Caucus" position paper.

Marjorie Taylor Greene ???????????? on Twitter: "Do you know who really runs this country? ..." / Twitter
Do you know who really runs this country?

The liars & psychotic left wing communists in the media who only care about self-awarded Pulitzers, clicks for cash, and pushing weak politicians around.

On Thursday, I buried my father and held my mother’s hand as we said goodbye.

On Friday, sick and evil POS in the media attacked me with phrases I never said or wrote.

They released a staff level draft proposal from an outside group that I hadn’t read.

The scum and liars in the media are calling me a racist by taking something out of context.

This is just a repeat of Jewish Space Lasers. Another term I never used & the media made up.

It’s more proof so-called journalists lie and create false narratives. The media are the ones focused on race & use it to divide the American people with hate through identity politics.

I believe in America First with all my heart and that means every American, of every race, creed, and color.

I will never back down and I will never stop fighting for America First.

There are tens of millions of Americans who agree.

We are side by side. People over politicians.

The hyenas in the media are terrified. So are the Democrats. And so are the weak politicos that float around whichever the wind blows.

I have plans to drive President Trump’s America First agenda with my Congressional colleagues but we won’t let the media or anyone else push the narrative.

America First policies will save this country for all of us, our children, and ultimately the world.

She's far loonier than Trump.

Some people are starting to run against MTG, in preparation for the 2022 House elections.

Holly McCormack for Congress on Twitter: "@mtgreenee @AOC Hi, I’m Holly McCormack and I’m running against Marjorie Taylor Greene.
I’m a band mom, small business owner, and *actually* from northwest Georgia.
I need your help to flip this seat.
Please RETWEET and FOLLOW to help us grow our grassroots movement." / Twitter

Someone grumbled
Liz Burton 🕊❓🛠📚 on Twitter: "@Holly_4Congress @mtgreenee @AOC I'm still waiting for anything remotely resembling a policy statement. "I'm not Marjorie Taylor Greene" tells me nothing about what you'd support if elected, which in my long experience is the sure sign of a Clinton corporatist." / Twitter

-

Marcus Flowers on Twitter: "Marcus Flowers here, the U.S. Army Vet running for Congress against Marjorie Taylor Greene.
Last week, you helped us get to 70k.
Is 90k possible today?
I’d be honored with a RT and FOLLOW if you’re with us!" / Twitter

Let’s go 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "@Marcus4Georgia Army vet, running against that qnut @mtgreenee I’m all for it. However, please start vocalizing what you’re going to do for your constituents, policy goals, your background. I want to see you win." / Twitter

Oh FFS... on Twitter: "@NickyL510 @Marcus4Georgia @mtgreenee YES! I'm backing both candidates who are trying to unseat Greene. However, neither one so far has expressed a willingness to explain their platform and how they're different from her other than being NOT her." / Twitter

H.Res.57 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Impeaching Joseph R. Biden, President of the United States, for abuse of power by enabling bribery and other high crimes and misdemeanors. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
Introduced in House (01/21/2021)

This resolution impeaches President Joseph Robinette Biden for abuse of power by enabling bribery and other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Specifically, the resolution sets forth an article of impeachment stating that, in his former role as Vice President, President Biden abused the power of that office through enabling bribery and other high crimes and misdemeanors by allowing his son Hunter Biden to influence the domestic policy of a foreign nation and accept benefits from foreign nationals in exchange for favors.

The article states that, by such conduct, President Biden
  • endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of government;
  • threatened the integrity of the democratic system;
  • interfered with the peaceful transition of power;
  • imperiled a coordinate branch of government; and
  • demonstrated that he will remain a threat to national security, democracy, and the Constitution if allowed to remain in office.
The article also states that this conduct warrants immediate impeachment, trial, and removal from office and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.
Looking at the full text, these charges about JB's son Hunter and his business dealings in Ukraine with natural-gas company Burisma. Also some business dealings with some Chinese companies.

That resolution has no cosponsors.

H.Res.328 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): To Remove Maxine Waters from the Committee on Financial Services for Inciting Violence Against the Untied States. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

No further details and no cosponsors. Rep. MW is head of that committee.

H.Res.327 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Expel Maxine Waters Resolution for Incitement of Violence and Rioting against the United States | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
Here is the full text:
In the matter of Representative Maxine Waters.

Whereas Representative Waters has repeatedly called for violence, civil unrest, harassment, and assault of public and private persons throughout her tenure as a Member of Congress;

Whereas in the wake of the Rodney King riots in May 1992, Representative Waters said, “If you call it a riot, it sounds like it was just a bunch of crazy people who went out and did bad things for no reason. I maintain it was somewhat understandable, if not acceptable. So I call it a rebellion.”;

Whereas, on January 27, 2007, Representative Waters told an anti-Iraq war rally, “My name is Maxine Waters and I am not afraid of George Bush. My name is Maxine Waters and I’m not intimidated by Dick Cheney. My name is Maxine Waters and I have to get rid of Rumsfeld.”;

Whereas, on October 20, 2017, Representative Waters told a crowd at an LGBTQ Youth Gala, “With this kind of inspiration, I will go and take Trump out tonight.”;

Whereas, on June 23, 2018, Representative Waters told a crowd, “If you see anybody from [President Trump’s cabinet] in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them! And you tell them that they are not welcome, anymore, anywhere.”;

Whereas, on September 8, 2018, Representative Waters told a crowd of her supporters in Los Angeles, “I did not threaten [Trump] constituents and supporters. I do that all the time, but I didn't do that that time.”;

Whereas, on April 17, 2021, Representative Waters told violent protesters, “We've got to stay on the street, and we've got to get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business.”;

Whereas, Representative Waters traveled across State lines to promote and encourage riots that led to violence and community destruction which is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison (18 U.S.C. 2101);

Whereas Representative Waters has threatened a jury if they do not find a guilty verdict in the trial of Derek Chauvin;

Whereas following Representative Waters’ speech in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, the following events occurred:

(1) More than one hundred protesters violated the 11 p.m. city curfew after Representative Waters told them to “stay on the street”;

(2) The Minnesota Operation Safety Net, a coalition of police agencies, found bags of rocks, paint-filled plastic eggs and paintball guns at the scene intended for use against police;

(3) National Guardsmen were fired upon in the early hours of April 18, 2021;

Whereas, throughout her time as a sitting Member of Congress, Representative Waters has repeatedly incited violence through her harmful rhetoric and led violent mobs in the destruction of public and private property and in protest against officers of the United States, including local police and national guardsmen;

Whereas Representative Waters has violated House Rule 23, Clause 1, which states that “A Member, Delegate, Resident Commissioner, officer, or employee of the House shall conduct himself at all times in a manner that shall reflect creditably on the House.”; and

Whereas the United States House of Representatives finds the words and actions of Representative Waters abhorrent and harmful to public safety, the rule of law, and the material security of the people of the United States: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That pursuant to article I, section 5, clause 2 of the United States Constitution, Representative Maxine Waters, be, and she hereby is, expelled from the House of Representatives for inciting violence and engaging in rioting and protest against citizens and officers of the United States, including President Donald J. Trump.
I concede that MTG's staffers have made a good collection of things that I dislike about Rep. MW.

It is one thing to protest real social injustice.

Another to violently protest based merely on Trump's lies.

It is impossible for me to see how anything positive can come out of the GOP in the state it has descended to in the past 20 years. The number of GOP members of Congress who are not liars and conspiracy peddlers is miniscule. The party has a toxic disdain for truth and a deep dread of the American electorate and where it is trending. For a reporter to dare to ask the typical Republican rep or senator if Biden won the election is now a gotcha question. This is extraordinarily bad for our democracy.

Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "I’m still waiting for you ..." / Twitter
Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: ".@AOC’s Green New Deal will destroy..." / Twitter
Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "I’m glad I ran into you ..." / Twitter
Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "I read your 14 page Communists manifesto @AOC. ..." / Twitter
Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "Communist China has been lying ..." / Twitter
I’m still waiting for you to accept my challenge to debate about The Green New Deal economic policy.

The American people deserve to hear the pro’s and con’s.

That is if there are any pro’s...

.@AOC’s Green New Deal will destroy the US’s oil and gas industry just after we became energy independent from President Trump’s #AmericaFirst policies.

Our ability to export oil and gas gives the US great negotiating power in the world.

China and Russia love the GND.

I’m glad I ran into you today @AOC to plan our debate about the Green New Deal.

After I finish reading all 14 pages, like we agreed, I’ll schedule time for our debate.

#MTGvsAOC

I read your 14 page Communists manifesto @AOC.

Looking forward to debating you.

#MTGvsAOC

Communist China has been lying, cheating, and stealing from the US for decades mainly because our politicians are stupid and sell us out every time.

Now @JoeBiden and the Dems are forcing America into slavery to China with @AOC’s Green New Deal.

Because China is not going to stick to their promise of reducing emissions to net zero.

They always lie.

China wants world domination.

China controls the battery market and most of the rare Earth mineral rights to make batteries for EV’s.

If America, goes to all EV’s and relies on all battery operated vehicles then we will be completely reliant on China.

While China grows into a world economic powerhouse through oil, natural gas, and coal.

President Trump made America GREAT by setting policy that made us energy independent and strong.

@AOC, @JoeBiden, and the Dems are making America weak and reliant on Communist China.

That’s why I’m fighting everyday for #AmericaFirst.

And the American people. 🇺🇸
Except that China is investing heavily in renewable energy, and that use of it is growing all over the world.

It is impossible for me to see how anything positive can come out of the GOP in the state it has descended to in the past 20 years. The number of GOP members of Congress who are not liars and conspiracy peddlers is miniscule. The party has a toxic disdain for truth and a deep dread of the American electorate and where it is trending. For a reporter to dare to ask the typical Republican rep or senator if Biden won the election is now a gotcha question. This is extraordinarily bad for our democracy.

All that.
GOP is no longer a political party, just a collection of every-man-for-himself prosperity gospel spouting creeps, each pandering to his own concept of his* own constituency. The only unifying principle is "just win, baby!". The tactical principle is "cheat as much as you can get away with, but don't get caught. If you get caught, deny, deny, deny and distract."

*male pronoun used exclusively due to predominance

I am wondering about MTG's mother. Anyone? I suspect she may be or may have been an alcoholic, but can't find any reference to her in a brief search. The wiki article on her says "Greene was born in Milledgeville, Georgia, on May 27, 1974,[18] the daughter of Robert Taylor". No mention of any mother, even searching for "who is Marjorie Taylor Greene's mother".
Is she a test tube baby? Surrogate mother?
I think her eyes are too close together and set abnormally high in her head. Something is definitely wrong there.

Back
Top Bottom