• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Marjorie Taylor Greene case

".

Does that bit of kookiness in her FB post defy the laws of science as we know them? Could a spacecraft in orbit around earth concentrate solar energy and beam it back to earth and start a wildfire? AFAIK, we do not have a spacecraft that could do that now, but it seems plausible that such a thing is within the law of physics, is it not? I used to be able to start a fire in my backyard with a $5 magnifying glass as a kid (not to mention cooking a few ants :devil2:). Unless someone can prove otherwise, it seems doable by a spacecraft IMHO. Do I think such spacecraft started the CA wildfires? 100% NO FUCKING WAY.

My quick thoughts on this question:

You could start a fire with your magnifying glass because you could concentrate the sunlight. This depends on the f-number of the lens; that is, the ratio of the focal length to the collecting area. The smaller the number the more concentration. Your magnifying glass was probably in the area of F/3 or lower — just a guess. To achieve a similar concentration from a few hundred miles up the collecting area would have to be at least dozens of miles in diameter.

I don’t know the cutoff f-number that can start a fire but I think we would notice a satellite that was many miles large in orbit around the Earth.

I used the magnifying glass story as just an example of one way solar energy can start a fire. I'm not necessarily suggesting that a giant glass lens is the only way to send a fire-starting energy beam down to earth. You could conceivably make a focused energy beam via other technologies.

".

Does that bit of kookiness in her FB post defy the laws of science as we know them? Could a spacecraft in orbit around earth concentrate solar energy and beam it back to earth and start a wildfire? AFAIK, we do not have a spacecraft that could do that now, but it seems plausible that such a thing is within the law of physics, is it not? I used to be able to start a fire in my backyard with a $5 magnifying glass as a kid (not to mention cooking a few ants :devil2:). Unless someone can prove otherwise, it seems doable by a spacecraft IMHO. Do I think such spacecraft started the CA wildfires? 100% NO FUCKING WAY.

You could start a fire with your magnifying glass because you could concentrate the sunlight. This depends on the f-number of the lens; that is, the ratio of the focal length to the collecting area. The smaller the number the more concentration. Your magnifying glass was probably in the area of F/3 or lower — just a guess. To achieve a similar concentration from a few hundred miles up the collecting area would have to be at least dozens of miles in diameter.

I don’t know the cutoff f-number that can start a fire but I think we would notice a satellite that was many miles large in orbit around the Earth.

I used the magnifying glass story as just an example of one way solar energy can start a fire. I'm not necessarily suggesting that a giant glass lens is the only way to send a fire-starting energy beam down to earth. You could conceivably make a focused energy beam via other technologies.

Don't forget the fact that the amount of atmospheric gas in the space between your magnifying glass and the ant is on the order of on billionth of that between an orbiting satellite and a forest. At least the idiot woman knew to specify "laser" (a cohesive beam). But sunlight doesn't consist of photons of all one wavelength, so ...

".

I think the larger issue is not that MTG thought it was technically feasible, but the absolutely bonkers idea that Jews would put a laser in space to start forest fires in California. Her post indicates that she thought that idiocy might have some truth to it, and that is the problem with her and her ilk.

".

But the concentration problem is still there. To get sunlight focused down enough to reach fire-starting irradiances you’d likely need a supermassive collector.

That's the very technology Trump referenced when he talked about importing focused cleansing light into the human body. And people on MSNBC called him uneducated!

But the concentration problem is still there. To get sunlight focused down enough to reach fire-starting irradiances you’d likely need a supermassive collector.

I think we need to back up a little and get back to what she was saying. This is the company and technology she was referring to:

https://www.solarenspace.com/solaren-space-solar/ssp-overview/#works

Basically, solar energy is captured at geo-synch orbit with a solar array and converted to a beam of RF energy, transmitted to earth, collected at a receiving station and converted back to electricity. In this case, the so called "laser beam" is really an RF beam (frequency?), which would not be visible to the naked eye. In her FB post, she seems unsure herself whether it would be visible or even capable of starting fires (it would have to be a massively energetic beam to cause that sort of heating effect, so I don't think its possible at RF frequencies), and even says at the beginning that she is "posting this in speculation". And she says nothing about it being developed by Jews. Others seem to have added that it because she referenced Rothschild. So this whole meme about MTG believes the wildfires being caused by a Jewish Space Laser is greatly exaggerated and twisted. She is also rather misguided about the fires being located where the high speed rail was proposed. That is just nonsense.

This whole “posting in speculation” thing though smacks of Tucker Carlson’s disingenuous “just asking questions” approach. Instead of looking into something and finding real answers they simply “speculate” on the answers they hope their uneducated audience will simply believe.

They’re not engaging in good faith inquiry.

The thread bumped; I reread Mr. PrideAndFall's answer on English usage:
Serious question about English usage: since the top definitions of 'dick' imply maleness or a penis, is it proper to refer to Ms. Greene as a 'dick'? Would it be more correct to call her a 'cunt'?
... a 'dick' is normally someone being aggressive, rude, inconsiderate, narcissistic, selfish, and it tends to imply specific intent - one *means* to be a dick, is acting that way on purpose. 'being a dick' is often used to reference how a person is behaving "he's being a dick" or used to refer to one's general demeanor but not necessarily an inherent aspect of character.

conversely 'cunt' is broadly more associated with being annoying, passive-aggressive, nagging, insistent or demanding, and it tends to imply inherent essence - one *is* a cunt, is acting that way because it's just who they are.

Hmmm. And does this indeed match well with common memes of gender? (Mars v. Venus; Fire and Air are male signs, Earth and Water female.)

But of course, my response here will be proof to those here that I agree with MTG (and QAnon too I suspect), as reading comprehension failures and deliberate obtuseness are worn as a badge of honor around here.

This is disappointing to hear. I, for one, did NOT take your response that way.

As insane as MTG's beliefs are, they don't necessarily defy the laws of science as we know them...

Can you say "Jewish space lasers"?
She's not referring to some thousands of years old oral recounting of miracles or religious/mystical symbolism, but to a fiction regarding current, extant phenomena.

You can read for yourself her exact words from her Facebook post in 2018 what she said regarding "Jewish space lasers" starting the CA wildfires:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/art...wildfires-space-laser-rothschild-execute.html

She says "space solar generators" in space beaming the sun's energy back to earth could look like a laser. Not sure whether it would or not. Then she questions whether it could start a fire and says "I don't know, I hope not".

On the other hand, how many "sane" people, perhaps even friends or relatives or yours, believe in astrology? Or members of Congress? That the position of planets and stars in the universe have some bearing on our personalities, our past and our future? The possibility of astrology being valid goes against all we know about the laws of science. The probability that it is true is exactly 0.00000. Same with a myriad of absurd religious beliefs held by many in the general public and, sadly, in high positions of the US Government.

But of course, my response here will be proof to those here that I agree with MTG (and QAnon too I suspect), as reading comprehension failures and deliberate obtuseness are worn as a badge of honor around here.

Here's the post and it's batshit insane far beyond astrology.

6994bfc520f00e17854db82931c9f03767-mtg-facebook.rvertical.w570.jpg

She is unwell.

From the solaren website:

What has Solaren accomplished to advance it’s Space Solar Power (SSP) business?
Solaren has formed the core engineering and management team, raised millions of dollars, completed the SSP concept design and business case to include validation by outside experts, been issued key enabling SSP patents in all of the major space-faring countries, signed the world’s first power purchase agreement for space solar generated electricity, and established key relationships with government and industry.

So they don’t even have any satellites up yet. This took ten seconds to research.

Her post has all the hallmarks of the same kind of credulity and innumeracy of flat earth rubes.

This whole “posting in speculation” thing though smacks of Tucker Carlson’s disingenuous “just asking questions” approach. Instead of looking into something and finding real answers they simply “speculate” on the answers they hope their uneducated audience will simply believe.

They’re not engaging in good faith inquiry.

That's exactly right. They use sneaky language to convey inferences while maintaining plausible deniability.

I think we need to back up a little and get back to what she was saying. This is the company and technology she was referring to:

Basically, solar energy is captured at geo-synch orbit with a solar array and converted to a beam of RF energy, transmitted to earth, collected at a receiving station and converted back to electricity. In this case, the so called "laser beam" is really an RF beam (frequency?), which would not be visible to the naked eye. In her FB post, she seems unsure herself whether it would be visible or even capable of starting fires (it would have to be a massively energetic beam to cause that sort of heating effect, so I don't think its possible at RF frequencies), and even says at the beginning that she is "posting this in speculation". And she says nothing about it being developed by Jews. Others seem to have added that it because she referenced Rothschild. So this whole meme about MTG believes the wildfires being caused by a Jewish Space Laser is greatly exaggerated and twisted. She is also rather misguided about the fires being located where the high speed rail was proposed. That is just nonsense.

There are too many coincidences in what she is writing to be ignored. So I am just putting it out there. Is she a deranged Nazi who collects human skin for a lamp shade in her Ayn Rand reading nook? Well, I don't know about that. It is interesting that she mentioned space lasers, though. What a coincidence it must be that she mentioned California wildfires and how mistakes could be made in where to send the energy output from space. She was just randomly talking about how it's a statistical anomaly that all the places hit would result in profit. It is also interesting she mentioned multiple Jews involved in these alleged conspiracies in regard to the property hit by the fires, right???!!!

Last edited:

There are too many coincidences in what she is writing to be ignored. So I am just putting it out there. Is she a deranged Nazi who collects human skin for a lamp shade in her Ayn Rand reading nook? Well, I don't know about that. It is interesting that she mentioned space lasers, though. What a coincidence it must be that she mentioned California wildfires and how mistakes could be made in where to send the energy output from space. She was just randomly talking about how it's a statistical anomaly that all the places hit would result in profit. It is also interesting she mentioned multiple Jews involved in these alleged conspiracies in regard to the property hit by the fires, right???!!!

But she reads a lot. OK!

What the fuck is she reading?!?!?!? :eek:

I could click your link in less time than it takes to post this response and — assuming there's no paywall — perhaps learn what that interesting line is. Have I missed out on something interesting? Or just "interesting"? I dunno.

But "a stitch in time saves nine." Instead I'll spend those seconds advising you to, in future, spend 4 extra seconds and post the interesting line inside a quote, along with the link.

(I don't think it's just me. I'll guess that many TFTers failed to click your link; but, had you posted the interesting line they would have read it with ... interest!)

We know Marjorie Greene didn't say a "Jewish Space Laser is causing the wildfires in California." What she said was 'The Jews are accidently causing wildfires in California with their malfunctioning satellite.' That isn't much better.

Rep. Greene said:
Then oddly there are all these people who have said they saw what looked liker lasers or blue beams of light causing the fire, and pictures and videos. I don't know anything about that but I do find it really curious PH&E's partnership with Solaren on space solar generators starting in 2009.

If they are beaming the suns energy back to Earth, I'm sure they wouldn't ever miss a transmitter receiving station right??!! I mean mistakes are never made when anything new is invented. What would that look like anyway? A laser beam or light beam coming down to Earth I guess. Could that cause a fire? Hmm, I don't know. I hope not!
The "Jewish" is "Rothschild", which is the not so discrete dog whistle for The Five Jew Bankers that she repeatedly mentions in the Facebook post.

Attachments

• marjorietaylorgreene-campfire.png
    marjorietaylorgreene-campfire.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 3
We know Marjorie Greene didn't say a "Jewish Space Laser is causing the wildfires in California." What she said was 'The Jews are accidently causing wildfires in California with their malfunctioning satellite.' That isn't much better.

Especially because those satellites don’t actually exist yet.

I could click your link in less time than it takes to post this response and — assuming there's no paywall — perhaps learn what that interesting line is. Have I missed out on something interesting? Or just "interesting"? I dunno.

But "a stitch in time saves nine." Instead I'll spend those seconds advising you to, in future, spend 4 extra seconds and post the interesting line inside a quote, along with the link.

(I don't think it's just me. I'll guess that many TFTers failed to click your link; but, had you posted the interesting line they would have read it with ... interest!)

Thank you. It is considered quite rude to post blind links and it is discouraged here.

Republicans: Get rid of Liz Cheney! We're struggling with our Identity right now and don't need dissenting voices!
Also Republicans: let's protect the Jewish Space Lazer lady!

Back
Top Bottom