• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The promise of Christian Nationalism

Trump is a "Christian"? "Authority"?
I knew there was somethin' about that religion I didn't like.
He self identifies as Christian and is an Authority to tens of millions of Christians.

It's the kind of thing that makes me dislike Christianity as you do. But it's an ancient tradition.
Tom

"He's hoing to vote, so you'd bettter too" would be a good ad campaign slogan. Not in the sense of being effective, but in the sense of summarizing how voters feel about this thrice-damned election. Somehow, both camps fedl like it's ballot or bullet time, when all of us would rather just stay home.
Well, sure, I wish that Biden were 10 or 20 years younger and that Trump had never gotten elected —or had ever gone to jail for any of his many crimes but I will happily vote for Biden in November. I’m way too old to believe in perfect candidates and old enough to admit that Biden has been much better than I thought he would be.

He self identifies as Christian and is an Authority to tens of millions of Christians.

It's the kind of thing that makes me dislike Christianity as you do. But it's an ancient tradition.
Tom
No, he pretends he is Christian in order to appease his cult.

Tom
No, he pretends he is Christian in order to appease his cult.
That's what Tom said.

He doesn't pretend to be a democrat.
Yes.
That's a huge problem. He claims, effectively enough to be believed by tens of millions, that He is a Christian and will rescue Democracy.

Like zillions of other Christian Authorities, he is whatever he claims to be and people believe that he is. There is no other functional meaning for the term.
Tom

This reveals deep problems with these people. They either believe that he is a Christian, despite all the evidence that he is not a Christian, or they don't care that he is not a Christian., despite claiming themselves to be devout Christians.
Also, if you had someone like Trump in behaviour that had a more genuine claim to be Christian, they would still be considered by anyone sensible to be a bad Christian.

"He's hoing to vote, so you'd bettter too" would be a good ad campaign slogan. Not in the sense of being effective, but in the sense of summarizing how voters feel about this thrice-damned election. Somehow, both camps fedl like it's ballot or bullet time, when all of us would rather just stay home.
Well, sure, I wish that Biden were 10 or 20 years younger and that Trump had never gotten elected —or had ever gone to jail for any of his many crimes but I will happily vote for Biden in November. I’m way too old to believe in perfect candidates and old enough to admit that Biden has been much better than I thought he would be.
Yes, but I don't have the audacity to demand that, say, an Arab American vote for a man who endorsed and funded a no holds barred genocidal killing spree of their own kin, just because he's "better than the other guy". In that very important respect, he obviously is not. We should not forget that Joe is as proud of his Catholic faith, maybe prouder, than Trump is of his ostensibly Christian virtues, and in both cases there are deadly consequences to that commitment.

We should not forget that Joe is as proud of his Catholic faith, maybe prouder, than Trump is of his ostensibly Christian virtues, and in both cases there are deadly consequences to that commitment.
The difference is in personal behavior. It certainly says something about Joe that he is Catholic but Joe acts like an adult is supposed to act. Orange can stick his dick into someone and ejaculate so in his mind he's a grownup. Big difference.

Yes, but I don't have the audacity to demand that, say, an Arab American vote for a man who endorsed and funded a no holds barred genocidal killing spree of their own kin, just because he's "better than the other guy".
I certainly would have the audacity to point out that not supporting and voting for Biden is effectively voting for violent anti-Muslim government.
If Biden doesn't win, the Christian Nationalists and MIC complex will win. And voting for 3rd party or staying home is effectively voting for whoever wins. I would point out how much the liberals who were too good to vote for Clinton helped get RvW overturned!
Yes I definitely have that much audacity.
Tom

Yes, but I don't have the audacity to demand that, say, an Arab American vote for a man who endorsed and funded a no holds barred genocidal killing spree of their own kin, just because he's "better than the other guy".
I certainly would have the audacity to point out that not supporting and voting for Biden is effectively voting for violent anti-Muslim government.
If Biden doesn't win, the Christian Nationalists and MIC complex will win. And voting for 3rd party or staying home is effectively voting for whoever wins. I would point out how much the liberals who were too good to vote for Clinton helped get RvW overturned!
Tom
No one is owed a vote on the sole basis of not being the other candidate, and talking as though they are is only going to further alienate those voters who are already uncertain about whether they can justify voting for either candidate.

Tom
No one is owed a vote on the sole basis of not being the other candidate, and talking as though they are is only going to further alienate those voters who are already uncertain about whether they can justify voting for either candidate.
People ARE, as you note, free to ignore their own best interest.

The result of this is "oh no, consequences".

"Owed" is not the point.
Reality is the point.
Like it or not, in our current system one of two choices will win the POTUS. And like it or not, one side is vehemently anti-Muslim and pro-violence and one side is not. Biden losing may as well be a death warrant for Palestinians.
ATM, his competition wasn't sure why we couldn't just nuke those diaperheads. He moved the US embassy to Jerusalem.
Anything other than supporting Biden is a gift to Netanyahu and his supporters. That's the reality, like it or not.
Tom

"Owed" is not the point.
Reality is the point.
Like it or not, in our current system one of two choices will win the POTUS. And like it or not, one side is vehemently anti-Muslim and pro-violence and one side is not. Biden losing may as well be a death warrant for Palestinians.
ATM, his competition wasn't sure why we couldn't just nuke those diaperheads. He moved the US embassy to Jerusalem.
Anything other than supporting Biden is a gift to Netanyahu and his supporters. That's the reality, like it or not.
Tom
Trump and Biden did not differ on Israel until it became a "campaign issue" for Biden, and any promises he makes now will vanish like smoke the second the election is over. Also, since when has Biden ever been anti-violence? But that is perhaps worth taking up as its own thread.

Last edited:
Trump and Biden did not differ on Israel until it became a "campaign issue" for Biden, and any promises he makes now will vanish like smoke the second the election is over.
Bullshit.
Biden has never suggested nuking Muslims. Biden did not move the USA embassy to Jerusalem.
Biden might be Catholic, but pretending that the "deadly consequences" of their respective religious commitment is similar is crazy.
A vote for anything other than Biden is a vote to destroy Palestinians, just as a vote for anything other than Hillary Clinton was a vote to overturn RvW.
Like it or not.
Tom

This reveals deep problems with these people. They either believe that he is a Christian, despite all the evidence that he is not a Christian, or they don't care that he is not a Christian., despite claiming themselves to be devout Christians.
Also, if you had someone like Trump in behaviour that had a more genuine claim to be Christian, they would still be considered by anyone sensible to be a bad Christian.
I've come to realize that people believe what feels good to believe, provided the environment can accommodate their beliefs. I think we all do that quite naturally. The path beyond that isn't taken by everyone. We all know many genuinely nice people who believe genuinely irrational things, claims for which there is no evidence and the probability of evidence based on observation is sufficiently nil. But they believe it anyway. The intellectual awareness and interest just isn't sufficiently there to overcome comforting untruths.

Back
Top Bottom