• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Back in the 2016 race, his penchant for dismissive nicknames was...almost entertaining. "Low Energy Jeb." "Little Marco." "Crooked Hillary." "Lyin' Ted." Yet the last time he had an original was 4 years ago with "Sleepy Joe."
Yes. His nickname game used to be on point. Now it has fallen off.
He appears to have settled on "Comrade Kamala" now, but again...dude...the Cold War is over. It was long over when you and Ivana (remember her?) were doing ads for stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut. The kids today, with their crypto (which you don't understand) and the TikTok (which you also don't understand) don't have any memory of living under the existential threat of international communism. Calling her "Comrade Kamala" is the real life embodiment of the "how do you do, fellow kids?" meme.
Cackling Kamala would have worked.
200w.gif
Yeah, that'd be the misogynist shit. The fact you can just find these so quickly isn't helping your image either.

Not butthurt. I think it is wrong to limit selection in this way, but that is the nature of modern Democratic Party - steeped in identity politics

Ask yourself this.
Do you think that Trump ever considered a VP running mate who wasn't a straight white male? Or does the assumption that he will only choose from that category of people go without saying?

Then, let's talk about Mike Pence, Trump's first VP pick. He fit the demographic Trump was looking for, straight white male. He was also a political loser, who was about to lose the governor election in Indiana.

But he had credibility with the Christians who didn't know why he was losing so badly in Indiana. Trump desperately needed cred with the Christian demographic, given his history and lifestyle. He knew he couldn't possibly win anything without their support. So he picked Pence.

Although Pence turned out to have too much character for Trump to pick him again, this time around.

But, the bottom line remains. Trump is not looking for the best candidate from the whole population. He's only willing to consider the straight white male candidates.
Tom

Can you provide examples of Biden being manipulated by Sanders and AOC?
The $3,500,000,000,000.00 Spendapalooza that Biden wanted to pass (and which would have made inflation a lot worse) was basically slightly slimmed down version of Bernie's spending plan.
AOC also managed to put her Climate Paramilitaries into the misnamed Inflation Reduction Act.

Just to name two.

Do you think that Trump ever considered a VP running mate who wasn't a straight white male?
Yes, Trump's short list had people like Marco Rubio, Elise Stefanik and Byron Donalds on it.
Here’s a look at Trump’s VP shortlist and why each contender may get picked or fall short
It is certainly a far more inclusive and diverse list than Biden's list in 2020.
But, the bottom line remains. Trump is not looking for the best candidate from the whole population. He's only willing to consider the straight white male candidates.
No. He selected a straight white male, but that does not mean he excluded everybody else like Biden and Newsom did with black women.

Not butthurt. I think it is wrong to limit selection in this way, but that is the nature of modern Democratic Party - steeped in identity politics so much that the last time they put a man in a SCOTUS seat was in 1994 - three decades ago!
Merrick Garland is a white guy nominated by Obama in 2016 and his seat was stolen from him by other old white guys.
Good point.

Merrick Garland is a white guy nominated by Obama in 2016
As a sacrificial lamb. Obama knew that Reps wanted to wait until the election, or else he would have nominated someone younger.
The point remains - Biden pledged to only consider black females and exclude everybody else.

Can you provide examples of Biden being manipulated by Sanders and AOC?
The $3,500,000,000,000.00 Spendapalooza that Biden wanted to pass (and which would have made inflation a lot worse) was basically slightly slimmed down version of Bernie's spending plan.
AOC also managed to put her Climate Paramilitaries into the misnamed Inflation Reduction Act.

Just to name two.
That's manipulation??? Here all this time I thought it was the politics of compromise. But righties don't do compromise so I can understand why you would not be familiar with it.

Merrick Garland is a white guy nominated by Obama in 2016
As a sacrificial lamb. Obama knew that Reps wanted to wait until the election, or else he would have nominated someone younger.
Really? How did he know this since it had never been done before.

The point remains - Biden pledged to only consider black females and exclude everybody else.
Black females have been excluded for 250 years.

Do you disagree? Do you think it is used here as a way to show disdain for Biden’s characteristics?
I do not mind it precisely because "Biden's characteristics" are not really the issue with the Biden presidency, but the ecosystem around it, from the Democratic Party that pulled him to the left to the mainstream media.
That said, I do not use the "Brandon" nickname myself. I just found it hypocritical for Toni to go off on TSwizzle for using it (even implying that he forgot Biden's name) while being ok with much worse nicknames for Trump.
I’m not ‘ok’ with the nicknames for Trump. For reasons I’ve exhaustively written in another post.

You think I’m picking on you? Look, I’m just sick of wading through bullshit nonsense in your posts to figure out if you actually have anything of value to say, I assume anyone writing here wants to be heard and I assume people have points or think they do and pretty often, the points are valid, even when I don’t agree.
Yes, I think you are picking on me. Especially when you are not picking on other uses of nicknames for politicians and public figures.
I’m going to waaaaaay overstep boundaries here and say that I think that you, and a lot ( but certainly not all and probably not most) of white men find it upsetting to realize that sometimes other people—not white, maybe female, get jobs and recognition and admissions to all sorts of good schools and get a lot of good things when a particular person who is white and male did not.
I think people should be treated as individuals when it comes to admissions to schools or getting jobs. So-called "affirmative action" and "DEI" are antithetical to that, as they treat people not as individuals but as interchangeable
I do not have a problem with somebody non-white, or female, etc. getting "jobs and recognition and admissions to all sorts of good schools and get a lot of good things" if they did it by merit and did not gain an advantage over others because of their race or genitalia. You, on the other hand, are fine with discriminating by race and gender as long as non-whites and women get the advantage. And you accuse those who are opposed to such discrimination of sexism and racism, which is truly Orwellian.
For a long long time, only white males were allowed to vote, own property, go to college, get most types of work, hold elected office: I’m only going back as far as electing officials—which was a huge advancement over everything being hereditary and long male lines.
So? That was in the past. That does not mean that it is laudable to discriminate against uninvolved white men as a sort of collective punishment.
We’re making more advancements here by including in our searches and occasionally explicitly looking for some well qualified candidates who are not necessarily white or male.
But excluding people because they are white and/or male is not advancing anything.
But at least Biden chose his candidates from among well qualified and experienced individuals, unlike Trump.
I do not agree with Vance with his socially conservative politics, but he went to Ohio State and Yale (without the benefits of "affirmative action"), was a Marine deployed in Iraq, worked as a law clerk and also in business, and is now a US Senator.
Quite unrelated to his politics, he is well-qualified to be vice president, even if he is a white male.
-neUTA.gif
But you don’t treat people as individuals. You focus exclusively on their race and gender and hold them to differing standards based on their race and gender. Instead of critiquing Harris solely on job performance or positions, you muck it all up by including your sexist, racist slurs. Do you not realize how much you undermine your own POV with that nonsense? It makes you appear to be on par with people of Trump’s ilk, which I do not think you are. I think you have some serious and legitimate points to make. I don’t necessarily agree with all of them, but it’s altogether possible to express POVs without a bunch of slurs attached.

Donald did that too, with the appointment of Amy Barrett. He made it very clear he would only consider a woman to replace RBG.
"Trump did it too" is not the excuse you seem to think it is.
It's not an excuse, it's an observation. You present Biden's actions as peculiarly negative, while it is obviously just something that all politicians do at some point or another. If it's wrong, then it should always be wrong, yes? You agree it was just as wrong for Donald to do it as it was for Biden?

JD Vance was roundly mocked online over a trip to the supermarket where he bemoaned the steep price of eggs — and botched the photo opp.

The Republican vice presidential nominee stopped by a supermarket in Reading, Pennsylvania, with his sons over the weekend to illustrate how grocery prices have been impacted by “Kamala Harris’s policies” when he claimed a dozen eggs cost $4.

The problem? When footage of the visit emerged, Vance was quickly called out by viewers who spotted the price tag of a dozen eggs behind him was actually $2.99.
To be fair, a 30% error is practically the truth when you consider it came from the Trump/Vance ticket.

"Brandon" isn't even a nickname, nor particularly clever. It's just a misheard term that stuck and a way for Republicans to pretend to be coy about their name calling.
It lacks the directness of nasty nicknames the Left likes to throw around, sure, but it is clever in that it is also a criticism of mainstream media.
When the NASCAR audience were chanting "Fuck Joe Biden" the reporter pretended that they were chanting "Let's go Brandon" instead. I do not think she genuinely misheard it - she was right there.
I'm unfamiliar with the actual incident, but you admit that you only "think" she didn't mishear it. I do believe that crowd chants can be difficult to discern. But that's not really the issue. At least Donald has the balls to straight up call his opponent names, instead of hide behind some kind of coded language for shits and giggles that only the Right can understand.

Back
Top Bottom