• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

That's true only in the minds of those who are too sexist and too racist to actually consider that a black woman might be the best person for the job. You don't have to continue to try to convince us of your views. We totally understand your reasoning.

BS. Biden was quite open and explicit about not considering any man for the position.
Donald did that too, with the appointment of Amy Barrett. He made it very clear he would only consider a woman to replace RBG.

Trump took unflattering nicknames to the level of art, starting during his 2016 primary season. Complaining that other people do it is bizarrely hypocritical.
Tom
I am not talking about Trump. I am talking about being fine with nicknames about Trump but getting butthurt if somebody uses a nickname for Biden.
"Brandon" isn't even a nickname, nor particularly clever. It's just a misheard term that stuck and a way for Republicans to pretend to be coy about their name calling.

That's true only in the minds of those who are too sexist and too racist to actually consider that a black woman might be the best person for the job. You don't have to continue to try to convince us of your views. We totally understand your reasoning.

BS. Biden was quite open and explicit about not considering any man for the position. The requirement that she be at least part black was not explicit (unlike with his DEI SCOTUS pick) but it became a de facto restriction after the George Floyd insurrection when honkeys like Amy "Mad Hatter" Klobuchar became untenable.

It is funny how the Left can at the same time be extremely supportive of DEI/affirmative action but at the same time also be adamant that it does not happen, and even that people who notice it happening are "too sexist and too racist".
OMFG: Just stop it with the ugly, hateful nicknames you like to bestow on women. It doesn’t diminish them but it certainly does diminish any value in anything you write.

Do you imagine that there is a tiny tiny tiny pool of candidates for VP who have requisite education and experience to hold that position and that they are all white and male? Or that all of those white men heretofore graced with the invitation to be a running mate got to their positions solely on their merits and that it never had a goddam thing to do with what’s hanging between their legs?

FFS: White men are the original affirmative action hires. No one outside of that group had ever been allowed in. Oh, certainly it was all legit—the entire structure of white western society was predicated on the assumption that white/male was THE qualification that matters. And then it was shorn up by restricting access to education, credit and control of money, of bodies, real estate and other property, suffrage to white men to legitimize the fact that only white men were to be considered for most positions of authority and power.

You are butt hurt because someone explicitly announced that they were only considering women of color as possible candidates?

Imagine how it feels to grow up female and not white and to know that the only people ever in consideration were white and male.

You’re angry? One—exactly ONE time black women comprised the candidate pool and you are…. angry?

You have no fucking idea.

AFAIK, there is no one named Brandon who has had any say at all about any choice as VP. Ever.
As if the Left does not have a whole arsenal of unflattering nicknames for Trump.
I’m talking to you.

Throw around playground insults and you will be viewed as a playground bully.

OMFG: Just stop it with the ugly, hateful nicknames you like to bestow on women. It doesn’t diminish them but it certainly does diminish any value in anything you write.

HIs writing has value to be diminished? :unsure:

Trump took unflattering nicknames to the level of art, starting during his 2016 primary season. Complaining that other people do it is bizarrely hypocritical.
Tom
I am not talking about Trump. I am talking about being fine with nicknames about Trump but getting butthurt if somebody uses a nickname for Biden.
I'm talking about being fine with Trump using nicknames but getting butthurt when his opponents do the same thing.

Honestly, I don't like any of it. I'd rather people talk about the candidate's character and policy proposals and such. But Trump took political discussion to new lows. I don't feel the least bit bad about the tables being turned.
He picked this.
Tom

Derec isn’t stupid. He has good points sometimes, even if I usually disagree with them. Too bad he lacks the confidence to rely on logic and reason and instead has to rely on childish name calling which obscures rather than enhances any point he might be trying to make.

Maybe that’s the point. Maybe Derec doesn’t believe his own arguments and positions sufficiently to simply discuss things like an adult. I don’t know. Maybe some people are just more comfortable with discord and fear that if some consensus is reached, it means they lose. Maybe some people think that he who comes up with the most disgusting nickname ‘wins.’ It’s easier than writing out a cogent position or argument, I suppose.

I think it does. But in a ‘seen one you seen ‘em all’ kind of way. No need to subject oneself to too many repeats; if it quacks, walks, eats and poop like a duck, it’s time to move on to deeper questions rather than critique the duck to see if its reaction confirms that it’s still a duck.

Who knows, one day it might be a swan?
I’m 74 and can only advise that nobody hold their breath.

Tom
Depends on the nickname.

Also, as TomC notes, Trump uses nicknames as his election platform. Biden doesn't go around with the nickname like he thinks he is Chris Berman (I don't think that is too obscure a reference).

I'll also note, "the Left" isn't running for President.

Derec isn’t stupid. He has good points sometimes, even if I usually disagree with them. Too bad he lacks the confidence to rely on logic and reason and instead has to rely on childish name calling which obscures rather than enhances any point he might be trying to make.
I use far less name calling, and far more reason and logic than most of my detractors on here. I guess you must think they don't have "confidence" either.
Maybe that’s the point. Maybe Derec doesn’t believe his own arguments and positions sufficiently to simply discuss things like an adult.
BS.

JD Vance was roundly mocked online over a trip to the supermarket where he bemoaned the steep price of eggs — and botched the photo opp.

The Republican vice presidential nominee stopped by a supermarket in Reading, Pennsylvania, with his sons over the weekend to illustrate how grocery prices have been impacted by “Kamala Harris’s policies” when he claimed a dozen eggs cost $4.

The problem? When footage of the visit emerged, Vance was quickly called out by viewers who spotted the price tag of a dozen eggs behind him was actually $2.99.

So? I was not talking about use of nicknames by candidates themselves. My point was the hypocrisy of calling presidents/former presidents by unflattering nicknames on this forum. Toni objected to TSwizzle calling Biden "Brandon", but does not seem to mind all the nicknames thrown at Trump. If "Cheeto" is acceptable, then so should be "Brandon".

I use far less name calling, and far more reason and logic than most of my detractors on here. I guess you must think they don't have "confidence" either.
Maybe that’s the point. Maybe Derec doesn’t believe his own arguments and positions sufficiently to simply discuss things like an adult.
BS.
Again: we are not children here. They started it is not a valid argument.

BS?

Then prove it.

So? I was not talking about use of nicknames by candidates themselves. My point was the hypocrisy of calling presidents/former presidents by unflattering nicknames on this forum. Toni objected to TSwizzle calling Biden "Brandon", but does not seem to mind all the nicknames thrown at Trump. If "Cheeto" is acceptable, then so should be "Brandon".
I’ve already written a rather long post about why I don’t refer to Trump by any of those nicknames.

I grew up with siblings and cousins. It ain’t hard to coin an unflattering term. It also is not helpful.

Back
Top Bottom