• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Galaxy Brain posted:
[td]Donations by Netflix employees could not be more lopsided in favor of the Democratic Party (~100%)

He didn't include this

Or these
[/td] [td][/td]

Does this mean the Democrats will actually now do something about corporate electoral financing reform or will they just take the money and run?
Overturn the Supreme Court Citizens United ruling how, precisely? Explain how our parliament can unilaterally ignore or abolish High Court rulings whilst you're at it kthnx.

I
Explain how our parliament can unilaterally ignore or abolish High Court rulings whilst you're at it kthnx.
The Gospel of Donald Trump says you only need a few thousand angry morons and some AK47s. You can create your own 2nd Amendment after the deed is done.

I
Explain how our parliament can unilaterally ignore or abolish High Court rulings whilst you're at it kthnx.
The Gospel of Donald Trump says you only need a few thousand angry morons and some AK47s. You can create your own 2nd Amendment after the deed is done.
A part of me wishes they'd try it. It would "fix" the MAGA problem once and for all.

I
AK47s!?! Never! The will use good murcan AR 15s.

Caroline Rose Giuliani has endorsed Harris.

Watching my dad’s life crumble since he joined forces with Trump has been extraordinarily painful, both on a personal level and because his demise feels linked to a dark force that threatens to once again consume America. Not to disregard individual accountability in the slightest, but it would be naive for us to ignore the fact that many of those closest to Trump have descended into catastrophic downward spirals. If we let Trump back into the driver’s seat this fall, our country will be no exception.

Derek’s particular world view seems to see most relationships in transactional terms, including sexual relationships.
Depends on your definition of "transactional". In the widest sense, if we extend the meaning of "transactions" to companionship, fulfillment of emotional needs, even attraction, then yes, (almost) all romantic/sexual relationships are transactional. Almost nobody would stay in a relationship lest there is something in it for them.

But even restricting it to what most people mean by that term, things like better standard of living, gifts, K1 or spousal visa, many relationships are still transactional. Especially when you have a big difference in age or attractiveness between the partners.

I will leave you with some wisdom from Larissa: "The wife[sic] are the most expensive prostitutes ever, darling".

It is worth noting that the threads that he has started - going back years - are almost all misogynistic or racist.
Bullshit! It is more that you define any opinion on race or gender issues that you disagree with as "racist" or "misogynist".
How long will it continue? Well, a few years ago I decided to try a different approach, and made a few attempts to break through whatever walls/defense mechanisms he's got up. Tried to give advice, encouragement, whatever positivity I could muster, and it fell on deaf ears.
Advice? Encouragement? LMAO, must have missed it.
I'm sure I'm not alone, and there have been other people who have tried to reason him out of his virulent misogyny, but as the old saying goes, he didn't reason himself into it, so...
It is not "misogyny" to disagree with feminist dogmas.

I inadvertently opened this line of discussion re: Dereck’s posts. I apologize because I genuinely meant no disrespect towards Derec and did not mean to open a discussion about Derec’s personal life, which is his personal life.
Thanks for the apology.
Derec is not the only poster whose posts sometimes reek of sexism and racism.
Or maybe you just have metaphorical phantosmia.
He’s made the very good point that many of us do not seem open to criticism of Harris or some other politicians we like who are running for office.
Thank you. Some of the defenses of Kamala Harris on here have become positively cultish.
I will flat out say that I know I don’t care for the low blows aimed at Democratic candidates while laughing at those directed at candidates I truly detest. It’s not my best look. I am blaming it on my terror for what happens to this country and to the world if Trump gets elected and frankly the same for the potential to lose Senate seats for the Dems and to lose seats in the House.
On the contrary. Kamala winning the presidency and Senate going 51-49 Republican may be the best outcome, as it would moderate her on things like spending. I think House will almost certainly revert to Democratic control though.

Last edited:
Galaxy Brain posted:
[td]Donations by Netflix employees could not be more lopsided in favor of the Democratic Party (~100%)

He didn't include this

Or these
[/td] [td][/td]

Does this mean the Democrats will actually now do something about corporate electoral financing reform or will they just take the money and run?
Please note that the graphic says this is donations from employees of these companies not the companies themselves.

Derek’s particular world view seems to see most relationships in transactional terms, including sexual relationships.
Depends on your definition of "transactional". In the widest sense, if we extend the meaning of "transactions" to companionship, fulfillment of emotional needs, even attraction, then yes, (almost) all romantic/sexual relationships are transactional. Almost nobody would stay in a relationship lest there is something in it for them.

But even restricting it to what most people mean by that term, things like better standard of living, gifts, K1 or spousal visa, many relationships are still transactional. Especially when you have a big difference in age or attractiveness between the partners.

I will leave you with some wisdom from Larissa: "The wife[sic] are the most expensive prostitutes ever, darling".

Certainly many relationships have some transactional aspects to them: I’ll change this poopy diaper but you are doing dinner. I’ll work this crappy job while you finish your educational program and then I get to go back to school. It was not transactional when I made my ( much higher earning) husband get checked out by good doctors or that motivated me to sit in the family waiting room waiting for results of his surgery. Frankly, if he had dyed, I would have been financially better off, as I would have gotten a substantial payment from his life insurance and the entire balance of the retirement account plus all material assets, instead of splitting those with him. He did not provided comfort and support when I lost both parents in less than 3 months because there was something in it fir him, nor did I provide comfort and support to repay him but because I love and care for him and loved and cared for my in-laws. We love each other. . Those ‘transactional’ examples I gave above are really about division of labor and assets ( time).

I think it’s clear that you and I don’t just have different t world views but we also know different kinds of people. I’m not interested in the lip filler crowd. It’s weird to me that they exist, much less that they are displayed on screens in peoples homes and people watch them. Why????

I inadvertently opened this line of discussion re: Dereck’s posts. I apologize because I genuinely meant no disrespect towards Derec and did not mean to open a discussion about Derec’s personal life, which is his personal life.
Thanks for the apology.
He’s made the very good point that many of us do not seem open to criticism of Harris or some other politicians we like who are running for office.
Thank you. Some of the defenses of Kamala Harris on here have become positively cultish.
I will flat out say that I know I don’t care for the low blows aimed at Democratic candidates while laughing at those directed at candidates I truly detest. It’s not my best look. I am blaming it on my terror for what happens to this country and to the world if Trump gets elected and frankly the same for the potential to lose Senate seats for the Dems and to lose seats in the House.
On the contrary. Kamala winning the presidency and Senate going 51-49 Republican may be the best outcome, as it would moderate her on things like spending. I think House will almost certainly revert to Democratic control though.
I hope you are right and that Harris wins and the House flips and the Senate gets a real majority. I think it would be much better for the US and for the world.

Harris is not my ideal candidate but she’s the one we have and again, I get a bit defensive out of sheer terror of a potential Trump win.

“Ford” said:
How long will it continue? Well, a few years ago I decided to try a different approach, and made a few attempts to break through whatever walls/defense mechanisms he's got up. Tried to give advice, encouragement, whatever positivity I could muster, and it fell on deaf ears.
Advice? Encouragement? LMAO, must have missed it.

Lots of people have given you advice nand encouragement, Derec. How can you not remember 81 pages of advice and encouragement? You couild have gained from it, but you did not choose to.

It really looks like it'll be floating in at 276 to 262. Tossups are AZ and NC. I have a real hard time seeing NC being near a tie and Harris losing any of the northern states. Trump is going to have a hard time repeating 2016 because it is history and his nickel and dime approach isn't going to surprise anyone. This election looks to be close in several states. Even without Nevada, it seems Harris should win. Losing Nevada would suck. And this election being so close really sucks. It speaks to just how lost the nation is becoming, where the opposition party is running on anti-immigrant bigotry like it is the turn of the 20th century.

The trouble with losing the Senate isn't the budget, it is the Federal benches. It is really all that matters these days. The issue will be the GOP will block judicial nominations, opening more seats for them to fill, and we've seen the legislative Justices they've been putting on the bench. Imagine Cannon or Kacsmaryk on a Appeals Court bench?

So much has been complained about inflation wise, but the pandemic was 75% of the inflation wick, not Democrat spending.

Thanks for the apology.
Probably not.
You are using that word poorly. Trump supporters were using numerology and QAnon related stuff in their support of Trump. THAT is "cultish" behavior... well more actual "cult", but the point is, support for Harris on this board is not remotely cultish. The most radical you'll find is partisan.

The most radical you'll find is partisan.

Your point? Of course that’s true.
It’s also true that Trumpapologists accuse Dems of everything of which they themselves are guilty.
Like “it’s cultish behavior”.
A truly bizarre accusation in light of the textbook cult they are defending.

How cute. Derek thinks reality TV is real.

Back
Top Bottom