• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

as seems almost certain, Trump is about to be re-elected
I'm not sure why people are acting so "certain" about it. It's still a toss up.
I certainly hope you are right. But even if it's truly fifty fifty, well... if you heard there was a 50% chance of tornado today, wouldn't you be thinking about which basement is closest?

Especially as Trump claiming victory is a 100% certain future event. We have to operate under the assumption that this man will be the dominant figure in US politics for some time yet to come, unfortunately.

What I wrote:
"I've heard that they read books there. And probably also newspapers.
I mean that they understand the essence of this election."

--------------------
I meant to say politely: that MAGA supporters can not read or write.
And that USA needs a radical school reform, pay the teachers more etc.
Maybe send a leaflet to every household that a library card does not cost anything - in pictures so that even the analphabet part of the nation could grasp that.

Last edited:
Well, the race for 2024 is over, and once again Andrew Barr and his Labor Party are victorious, with their win extending 24 years of Labor government out to an astonishing 26.

Yeah, I didn't even know the Australian Capital Territory was having an election until I saw the result being reported by the ABC. Perhaps we can ask the USA to take a similarly subdued approach to her Presidential elections?
I am surprised you did not know that the ACT was having an election. It was on the news and in the papers for weeks. How did you miss the liberal leader being pilloried for giving the bird to a reporter who deserved it?
I don't watch any TV news, and I didn't think anyone still read newspapers. Do they even print them anymore?

If "the liberal leader being pilloried for giving the bird to a reporter who deserved it" is the pick of the "stories" I missed out on, then it appears that my choice to avoid those media was a wise one.

My time is far too valuable to waste on the 'newsertainment' and invitations to outrage that have long ago replaced (or buried) any actual reporting of significant events.

I still get a daily printed newspaper. You would probably find our headlines hilarious. You would definitely find our police blotter hilarious.

(One of my all time favorites, A [town name] woman is in custody for brandishing a shotgun and threatening to shoot her husband for not raking the leaves properly.”)

I don't watch any TV news, and I didn't think anyone still read newspapers. Do they even print them anymore?
I used to love getting my daily newspaper. It got too expensive.

I organized my way out of a place to lay newspaper out. And my eyes got worse. I'm better off reading the computer screen cuz I can make the type bigger.

But now I don't just read the Boston Globe but also NYT and WAPO. CNN has gotten too scrill and to much sponsored crap.

Haven't watched TV news in about 30 years.

Last edited:
. We have to operate under the assumption that this man will be the dominant figure in US politics for some time yet to come, unfortunately.
Maybe, maybe, but have you heard his wheezy voice, these days? Seen him beg off press events, claiming exhaustion? He's developed a case of the same vocal wispies that Biden's had for the past four years. And, while he was full of zany claims in both '16 and '20, I don't remember him, back then, doing extended riffs on things like Arnold Palmer's junk -- or ending a session of questions from the audience to sway back and forth to pop music for 38 minutes. This man is caving in, in slo-mo, before our eyes. If he does win in 13 days, he's in no shape to complete 4 years as President. They can't hide his babbling now, and the Presidency is not a great venue for concealing the onset of dementia. MAGA will go on without him, because it's bigger than him. But Trump's best days are behind him.
If he loses in 13 days, it will at last be easy for the more assertive Repubs to ignore him. They'll be able to point to a string of defeats he's brought the party.
I'm an internet infidel, therefore not a praying man, but I'd light some candles to Satan if I thought it would usher this angry maniac off the stage.

ideologyhunter said:​

I'm an internet infidel, therefore not a praying man, but I'd light some candles to Satan if I thought it would usher this angry maniac off the stage.
I especially like your last sentence. :love:

In the mirror of my mind, I see dark clouds gathering on the horizon and reaching us fast.
There will be very turbulent times in the near future if The Narcissist is elected:

As China attacks Taiwan and the straits at the Arabic peninsula will be closed, Europe is in an escalated war and this idiot does nothing else than write love letters to the "small rocket man" asking if he can build a Trump Tower in Pjongjang.
And he tries to explain to the trumpos why the gasoline price is skyrocketing and how this all is some others fault..., "But if he had been president one term earlier nothing would have happened... yadda, yadda".

If Moscow's Agent Orange is at the helm, the youth of US should buy tickets to Canada and even there run for the hills and become a prepper.
If not, the other option is to dig trenches in some part of the world.

Last edited:
. We have to operate under the assumption that this man will be the dominant figure in US politics for some time yet to come, unfortunately.

I did NOT write the above. The editor used at this Board seems to make gratuitous errors when quotes are nested.

Maybe, maybe, but have you heard his wheezy voice, these days? Seen him beg off press events, claiming exhaustion? He's developed a case of the same vocal wispies that Biden's had for the past four years. And, while he was full of zany claims in both '16 and '20, I don't remember him, back then, doing extended riffs on things like Arnold Palmer's junk -- or ending a session of questions from the audience to sway back and forth to pop music for 38 minutes. This man is caving in, in slo-mo, before our eyes. If he does win in 13 days, he's in no shape to complete 4 years as President. They can't hide his babbling now, and the Presidency is not a great venue for concealing the onset of dementia. MAGA will go on without him, because it's bigger than him. But Trump's best days are behind him.
If he loses in 13 days, it will at last be easy for the more assertive Repubs to ignore him. They'll be able to point to a string of defeats he's brought the party.

I agree with ideologyhunter. Trump's age is showing. He and his movement should fizzle away IF he loses the election. There does not appear to be anyone ready to step in as the Messiah of Trumpism. This is why Harris victory is so important -- it may place the Republican Party back on the path to sanity.

Well, I meant for a few months, not for a few years. Jesus I hope just a few months not years.

Translated from Finnish:
"The probability of a wider war has increased this autumn, warns Member of the European Parliament Mika Aaltola (National Coalition Party) on messaging service X.

– This is particularly influenced by the West's strategic wishful thinking, the strengthening of the appeasement line in Germany, and the upcoming U.S. presidential elections, Aaltola writes.

According to Aaltola, the likelihood of a broader war sharply rises if the appeasement line prevails in the United States. This would lead to Ukraine being "forced into a pause," according to Aaltola.

– We lose the credibility of our deterrent and are not prepared as Russia and its allies' appetite grows. The seeds of a larger war are now perfectly in place, Aaltola observes.

A pause in the war in Ukraine would, according to Aaltola, feed Russia's sense of a successful pressure operation.

Why would they stop their dirty war, which is based on sabotage, cyberattacks, disinformation, assassinations, and other unpleasant tactics, just because the West sends gestures of goodwill?
They wouldn't.
At the same time, the furnaces are glowing red in Russia's war economy with the support of China."

I did NOT write the above. The editor used at this Board seems to make gratuitous errors when quotes are nested.
The editor really sucks when it comes to quotes. It'd be helpful if people trimmed the quotes a bit more, so we didn't have massive trails of empty quote boxes to have to erase ourselves. But there isn't much else that can be done, I think RayJ is stuck with how this works. Reporting posts can become problematic as the Mods need to figure out who said what.

The editor really sucks when it comes to quotes. It'd be helpful if people trimmed the quotes a bit more, so we didn't have massive trails of empty quote boxes to have to erase ourselves. But there isn't much else that can be done, I think RayJ is stuck with how this works. Reporting posts can become problematic as the Mods need to figure out who said what.

I blame RayJ. Also conservatives for existing. I mean I don't blame RayJ for existing. Just conservatives.

Last edited:
It definitely did NOT seem worth a Report (though of course I would have taken the tiny effort to determine the proper fix if I were to report it).

I am quite uncertain that this is caused by an editor bug: it might be just careless editing. (But I've been a perpetrator myself and I do try to be careful.) Perhaps I'll do some experimentation next time I respond to a long quote nest.

(Another annoyance is that the rendering IS smart enough to delete empty quotes BUT still preserves the empty quote and sends its author an Alert.)

Anyway this bug, if it IS a bug, is a minor complaint. Perhaps my biggest complaint with the editor is the "need" for THREE modes (VBulletin has only ONE). Cursor location and text selection are discarded on each mode change, significantly increasing the annoyance.

It definitely did NOT seem worth a Report (though of course I would have taken the tiny effort to determine the proper fix if I were to report it).

I am quite uncertain that this is caused by an editor bug: it might be just careless editing. (But I've been a perpetrator myself and I do try to be careful.) Perhaps I'll do some experimentation next time I respond to a long quote nest.
Quotes will shift sources if quote boxes are deleted in certain ways.
(Another annoyance is that the rendering IS smart enough to delete empty quotes BUT still preserves the empty quote and sends its author an Alert.)
No kidding! That is uber-annoying. As is having my post quoted... 10 or 12 quotes ago and my post is no where in the new post.
Anyway this bug, if it IS a bug, is a minor complaint.
First world problems!!!

Hockey Night in Canada?

Hockey_Night_in_Canada_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom