• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Republican Debate #1

I tried to watch it, but after about 30 minutes, I was so disturbed that any of the candidates might actually become our next president, I had to turn off the tv, but I did follow some of the NYTimes commentary until a little after 10PM. Every one of these idiots make Biden look like the hero of the Century. They criticized Trump but all but one raised their hands when asked if they would vote for him if he was the candidate. Like children, they looked at each other to see who raised their hands first, and then they followed like the sheep they are. Even Christie seemed to hesitate when being asked, although he later said he wouldn't support Trump, but I've heard him say he would support Trump if he was the candidate. He's another jerk, although he can be amusing at times. Apparently, the young one wants to be the next Trump. He's a business man with no political experience who acted like a total idiot on that stage. He couldn't wait to say he would pardon Trump if he was convicted. I guess he forgot about Georgia.

What I also found very disturbing was that none of them really said what their policies would be. It was all about how Biden and the Democrats have destroyed the country. Haley did blame the Republicans for raising the deficit far more than the Democrats did. I guess that took some courage, but she never said just what she was going to do to change things, at least not during the part I watched.

Several made the claim that Biden and the Democrats support abortion right up until the day of birth. WTF! I think they damn well know that late term abortions are extremely rare and only done when either the life of the mother is threatened or when the fetus is dead or has a condition that will prevent survival. Liars!

There were some remarks that reminded me of the old "welfare queen" bullshit from the Reagan era. Yeah. It's a great idea to take away food, medical care and housing from the poor, mostly the working poor. They acted as if these people were getting huge amounts of money from the government, when the fact is, it's pittance, and not easy to get. That's what I heard and I only watched about 30 minutes.

I did watch all of it. My comments

Ramaswamy - a huge Trump devotee and wants to be like him. Only really has a cliff note version of the issues. Nikki Halley smacked him down good! He came off as insufferable. His comment about the nuclear family is the only way to go and woman should forgo big salaries won him no points.

Christie - looked tired and not completely well. The audience did not allow him to get his zingers in. They booed him.

DeSantis - very creepy smile - looked very fake and forced, the rest of the time he was scowling. Didn't use the word woke once - someone must have coached him it would be a drinking game with the audience. Came off as a now show.

Pence - the most animated I have ever seen him. Seems like he was running for third with Ramaswamy - really fun battle to watch from the weeds.

Nikki Halley - the only adult in the room. Running for president in the big election, not trying to be number two to the orange one. She had the best answers to abortion and climate change.

Asa Hutchinson - why are his eyeballs so red. I felt bad for him. Basically a no show.

I actually thought Faux news did a pretty credible job and asked good questions - EVEN ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE. Except for the very weird one about UFOS tossed to Chris Christie - which he answered with humor and a good response. They lost control several times - I thought that was entertaining, and the audience was too loud.

I actually thought Faux news did a pretty credible job and asked good questions
I didn't watch enough of it to form a solid opinion of all the participants, but your take is consistent with what little I did see.
Looked like six hopeful candidates for veep, arguing with two hopeless candidates for president.
I don't agree with your take on the
I gave up in 3 minutes, realizing that the questions were couched in RW falsehood talking points: assumptions that America is in decline, the economy sucks and Democrats will eat your babies.
It sounds after the fact, like 8 lemmings vying to be next over the cliff.
Do ANY of them realize that their political careers are OVER if they become VP to a career criminal?
Wait. You mean “hang Mike Pence” isn’t a cheer of support??
Well, kinda. I mean yeah, sure. I’m okay if they hang Mikey - especially if it’s figurative. But it really doesn’t matter. He’s a washed up non-factor, having experienced the kiss of death that is being touched by Trump.
I can’t believe they’re lining up to be next to suffer the same fate. Pence is like a chicken with its head cut off that doesn’t know it’s dead yet.

Well, it makes sense to go for the VP position if you believe that Trump cannot possibly fulfill the term of his office, either due to ill health or legal issues.

I watched as much of the debate as I possibly could but there was only so much I could take. I agree that Nikki Haley was the least crazy, with Tim Scott being right there in the sanity lane. Hutchinson was so quiet and had so little time that it is not possible to either consider him serious candidates or to know how to judge him. I appreciate Christie for being willing to speak out against Trump. I do have a modicum of respect for Christie and Hutchinson for stating that they would NOT support Trump if he were convicted of charges against him. The fact that the other 6 affirmed their support if Trump were to be convicted (and somehow also elected) is automatically disqualifying. It's either disingenuous or totally corrupt or extremely ignorant. None are tolerable.

I want to say something straight out that I find puzzling: The GOP seems very dead set against almost all immigration (at least publicly) and yet this slate of candidates confirms what most of us already know: many, perhaps most immigrants are actually conservatives, especially on social issues and often even on immigration issues. Yet the GOP publicly opposes most immigration while the Democrats support immigration, despite the fact that most immigrants are not politically aligned with Democrats. So, either the GOP are hypocrites or they are stupid. Or both. I could go with both. And the same for Democrats: they allow the GOP to be anti-immigration and don't do much to put forth better immigration laws/policies, counting on the GOP to keep the number of immigrants lower than it might otherwise be.

I was telling my daughter that since after the Pilgrims landed in what would become New England, the one thing all people here could agree on was that "immigrants are bad". Whether from South America, Central America, Ireland, Germany, Africa... the Colonists, turn Americans all hated immigrants. After Football and Baseball, our national past-time is to complain about immigrants.

The GOP are so deep in the hole, their alliance with immigrants and their often conservative religious background is a bridge too far. Democrats want to help immigrants, like they want gun control, but it simply isn't possible. Even George W. Bush who wanted immigration reform couldn't get his own party to buy in.

I was telling my daughter that since after the Pilgrims landed in what would become New England, the one thing all people here could agree on was that "immigrants are bad". Whether from South America, Central America, Ireland, Germany, Africa... the Colonists, turn Americans all hated immigrants. After Football and Baseball, our national past-time is to complain about immigrants.

The GOP are so deep in the hole, their alliance with immigrants and their often conservative religious background is a bridge too far. Democrats want to help immigrants, like they want gun control, but it simply isn't possible. Even George W. Bush who wanted immigration reform couldn't get his own party to buy in.
But do they, really? I mean: do Democrats really want gun control and immigration reform? I mean, I do and you do and so do most people posting here but what will they campaign on if they fix all the problems??

I know it's dumb but it's also serious. I think I'm just feeling a bit cynical today....

Will any of them copy Hair Furor? Imagine DeSantis blowing out his hair, then announcing he will not debate, too: "I am number 1, the best candidate. There is no reason for me to debate those jokers." Maybe do some rallies, ask connections to give him a couple of indictments, too...

Good discussion (tangentially) about the state of the GQP and this debate.

This is what our politics has come down too.

When asked if they would support Trump even if convicted of a felony all but one sheepishly raised hands.

Might just as well have been the Nazi salute.

While I personally did not watch the debate shit show, I have read some interesting comments from some people who did. Many of these schnoks have stated that if elected they will eliminate the Department Of Education. And were unfriendly to public education. With lots of outrage against far right book banning, gutting American history in schools and other antics stirring up American voters, that will bear watching. I suspect many American teachers and their families and supporters are not going to be voting Republican.

While I personally did not watch the debate shit show, I have read some interesting comments from some people who did. Many of these schnoks have stated that if elected they will eliminate the Department Of Education. And were unfriendly to public education. With lots of outrage against far right book banning, gutting American history in schools and other antics stirring up American voters, that will bear watching. I suspect many American teachers and their families and supporters are not going to be voting Republican.
And what would be the consequences of the elimination of a federal-level department of education?

What do they think the department is doing so poorly right now to merit a complete dissolution rather than a reformation?

Many deep Southern states, red, low tax states do not support their schools and as a result, are ranking last in education achievement. These mooks beg Uncle Sugar for education money to help support their feeble education efforts. Eliminate Department Of Education and they will soon be in even more financial trouble.

The U.S. Department of Education announced awards totaling nearly $1 billion through the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (BSCA). The Stronger Connections grants will help schools provide all students with safe and supportive learning opportunities and environments that are critical for their success.

Through the BSCA, and under the leadership of President Biden, Congress provided $1 billion in Title IV, Part A formula funding to State educational agencies (SEAs) to develop state grant programs to provide students with safer and healthier learning environments. Earlier today, Secretary Cardona informed chief state school officers of their allocations under the BSCA Stronger Connections grant program

Many deep Southern states, red, low tax states do not support their schools and as a result, are ranking last in education achievement. These mooks beg Uncle Sugar for education money to help support their feeble education efforts. Eliminate Department Of Education and they will soon be in even more financial trouble.

The U.S. Department of Education announced awards totaling nearly $1 billion through the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (BSCA). The Stronger Connections grants will help schools provide all students with safe and supportive learning opportunities and environments that are critical for their success.

Through the BSCA, and under the leadership of President Biden, Congress provided $1 billion in Title IV, Part A formula funding to State educational agencies (SEAs) to develop state grant programs to provide students with safer and healthier learning environments. Earlier today, Secretary Cardona informed chief state school officers of their allocations under the BSCA Stronger Connections grant program

They’ll just spend it all on booze.

So, from a Republican viewpoint that’s good. States being responsible for their own education and not beholden to the feds for policies. I wouldn’t necessarily have a problem if less of my tax money went to southern states to shore up their self-inflicted shortfalls in education spending. Sounds like a win-win!

Many Southern states have recently realized they were not doing well in education, and that it had consequences. There have actually been attempts ro address the situation which is good. Though intent and real action may not be realized. The bad economics of supply side economics in Louisiana and Kansas created severe economic problems that adversely affected education in these states. To get education right, these states have to avoid such stupidities in the future.

But stupidities are now coming fast and furious from the right. Here in Texas, the GOP wants to abolish tenure in Texas Universities. Tenure protects professors from politicians. If passed, excellent professors on the tenure track will not want to come down here to Texas.

DeSantis and the Florida Legislation are gutting education in Florida with DeSatan's cretinous war on woke. Students and professers are abandoning Florida Universities en masse. Florida is trying to pass legislature to remove requirements college professors need advanced degrees to teach, or head departments.

Such efforts are now sweeping the U.S. nation wide.

So, from a Republican viewpoint that’s good. States being responsible for their own education and not beholden to the feds for policies. I wouldn’t necessarily have a problem if less of my tax money went to southern states to shore up their self-inflicted shortfalls in education spending. Sounds like a win-win!
Not for their underage victims.

Not for their underage victims.
Hence why people use the phrase “Republicans only care about children until they are born.”

Back
Top Bottom