• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Tea Thread

Floof,

We had a Russian meal last night, but couldn't find black tea locally. Had to make do with green tea and lemon. Not a strong flavour, like yours, but this was made up by the pickled herrings, gherkins and sauerkraut!

A.

Green tea and lemon is what I have every day, but not with pickled herrings, gherkins or sauerkraut. Those seem more like foods for black tea.

Floof,

Agreed. We've now found some 'Russian Caravan' black tea, costing £8 for a small bag! However, with black caviar, creme Fraiche and little crackers it was a real treat. :) The tea has a smoky, aromatic, taste and I liked it with a slice of lemon.

A.

My tea of choice is a syrupy sugar filled iced tea made from dollar store off-brand tea bags that were left to sit in an open cabinet for several months.

:D

That's called "church tea" and every tea lover in the world should try it at least once. Have someone nearby to speak in a southern drawl as you drink it for the full experience. :D

Green tea and lemon is what I have every day, but not with pickled herrings, gherkins or sauerkraut. Those seem more like foods for black tea.

Floof,

Agreed. We've now found some 'Russian Caravan' black tea, costing £8 for a small bag! However, with black caviar, creme Fraiche and little crackers it was a real treat. :) The tea has a smoky, aromatic, taste and I liked it with a slice of lemon.

A.

Wow, that sounds absolutely tantalizing.

Floof,

It says on the packet to reuse the tea several times. I don't know how to do this but put the leaves in a bowl in the fridge. These leaves are huge! Once wet, they swell like crazy. I've never seen this before. They came from Whittards tea store.

a.

I pass my time with coffee at cafes regularly. I don't drink much tea now, but years and years ago my grandfather made sun tea in the summer and I would drink that when I visited my grandparents.

teacompanion1.jpg

The smooth talking owner of my local talked me into buying this book this afternoon.

Was cleaning out my kitchen cupboards and remembered that I have some Asahina Gyokuru in stock.

It's a premium green tea grown in a special way that increases it's mineral and caffeine content. Very unique green.

Working from home and just made a cup of this at the precise temperature with our programmable kettle.

It really makes a difference.

The big thing in Southern restaurants these days is half/half tea. It just means that you want the waitress to pour half of the insanely sweet southern ice tea into your glass and then pour unsweetened tea to fill up the glass. My husband asks for it all the time while I still enjoy pure unsweetened ice tea. I think this started as an attempt for people to cut down on their sugar intake, but considering all the other unhealthy carbs people eat down here, I doubt it makes any difference.

Some also drink fruited ice teas in the south, like peach tea for example. Do they drink fruited ice teas anywhere else? The tea is still a combo of regular old ice tea mixed with a fruit syrup, usually available sweet or unsweetened.

The big thing in Southern restaurants these days is half/half tea. It just means that you want the waitress to pour half of the insanely sweet southern ice tea into your glass and then pour unsweetened tea to fill up the glass. My husband asks for it all the time while I still enjoy pure unsweetened ice tea. I think this started as an attempt for people to cut down on their sugar intake, but considering all the other unhealthy carbs people eat down here, I doubt it makes any difference.

Some also drink fruited ice teas in the south, like peach tea for example. Do they drink fruited ice teas anywhere else? The tea is still a combo of regular old ice tea mixed with a fruit syrup, usually available sweet or unsweetened.

We have a bakery/restaurant in south Jersey tht infuses their tea with fruit extract and real fruit chunks. One time it was orange, then whenever strawberries, blueberries r peaches are in season, cu the bakery goes to local growers for them, they make that. To me, I'd rather have processed ice tea because they get the lemon and sugar just right so I don't gag on the aftertaste nor do I take in too much of the "tea taste".

I can't drink coffee because it causes bad things to happen to my nerves and speech patterns, but only like tea ice and from specific companies like Arizona Inc.

I could never stand it hot even with lots of sugar and lemon to hide behind.

And yet I HATE southern sweet tea, tastes like they put nothing in it. Most here who make that or sun tea, even when they grew up down south, serve it weird, like still lukewarm weird.

Ok, it's go time. As my body becomes more and more repulsed by alcohol, I'm getting further into the herbal game. Today's purchases:

Arctic Spearmint

Spearmint is highly appreciated for its digestive properties and its ability to relieve nausea. Quite often it is also used to find relief from headaches and tension. This cooling herb doesn't actually grow in the arctic. It comes from Washington State. Caffeine-free.

Peppermint Tea

Full of flavour and organically grown. The best peppermint we could find in our search for the best! Caffeine free. Peppermint is an herb and contains no caffeine. Quite often peppermint is consumed after meals as the oils stimulate the flow of bile to the stomach and helps relieve gas pains. Additionally, it has been reported and written that peppermint sweetens the breath and calms the digestive system, plus it helps heartburn, stomach ache and nausea.

Goodnight Irene

An exclusive blend from TestSiteTTH. Are you looking for a tasty sleeping aid? This herbal infusion contains valerian root. It is the main ingredient that makes you sleepy. A great alternative if you have a ragweed allergy and should skip Chamomile. Drink 1/2 hour before bedtime.

Vata Balance

The Vata dosha is characterized by creativity, mental quickness, fast movements, dryness, coldness, roughness, excitability and high energy. Our Vata Balance tisane is meant to calm the mind and the body and balance the vata constitution. Its taste is slightly sweet, spicy and floral.

Wellness Tea

Our caffeine-free wellness tea is a soothing blend of herbs and spices. It is very soothing when you have a sore throat or suffer from a cold. Try it with a little extra ginger and a touch of honey!

These are to complement the pure chamomile and lavender I commonly use as a sleep-aid.

I'm starting to notice that having a beer or whisky before bed is more of a habit than anything like a necessity, so am trying to round out my bedtime options.

I agree with the statements made about peppermint. It grows as a weed here and in fact we have a big patch just by the front door. This time of year, you can smell the mint from the parking lot. I grab a few leaves now and then to chew or to drop into my tea.

Speaking of, I grew mint in an herb garden years ago and dried most of it. I got really lucky with that mint. I happened to buy sealing tea canisters at Ikea that turned out to be excellent for dried goods. I used up the last of the dried mint from that effort just a few months ago and opening the canister still produced the mint smell. Now that's all gone I just grab fresh from the yard when I think about it.

An herb garden is a great idea. We have a pretty big backyard where we could get some of that going, but we haven't looked into it seriously yet. I definitely don't hate the idea of getting some lavender plants going back there.

I've also thought about planting a few fruit trees. Nothing like the sun producing food for you with little to no work involved.

An herb garden is a great idea. We have a pretty big backyard where we could get some of that going, but we haven't looked into it seriously yet. I definitely don't hate the idea of getting some lavender plants going back there.

I've also thought about planting a few fruit trees. Nothing like the sun producing food for you with little to no work involved.
I would like a herb garden too. Unfortunately we have Tibbies who peed on our last attempt to grow basil and mint. We are thinking that the front verandah will be a good place once we enclose it for the cats.

Currently rocking a lavender/spearmint tea. Seems like I've been acclimatized to the awful taste of lavender, and this combo is working.

We have a bakery/restaurant in south Jersey tht infuses their tea with fruit extract and real fruit chunks. One time it was orange, then whenever strawberries, blueberries r peaches are in season, cu the bakery goes to local growers for them, they make that. To me, I'd rather have processed ice tea because they get the lemon and sugar just right so I don't gag on the aftertaste nor do I take in too much of the "tea taste".

I can't drink coffee because it causes bad things to happen to my nerves and speech patterns, but only like tea ice and from specific companies like Arizona Inc.

I could never stand it hot even with lots of sugar and lemon to hide behind.

And yet I HATE southern sweet tea, tastes like they put nothing in it. Most here who make that or sun tea, even when they grew up down south, serve it weird, like still lukewarm weird.

Fun fact: Arizona Sweet Tea is actually a Japanese Tea manufactured in Canada. Go figure.

That's an interesting idea, southernhybrid. I recently took my first few trips to the South and found that I LOVED the (unhealthy) foods that I found there. To the point where I now make my own sweet tea. What is the difference between mixing plain iced tea with sweet tea, and merely making sweet tea with half the sugar? Are there other ingredients in the 'plain' iced tea?

That's an interesting idea, southernhybrid. I recently took my first few trips to the South and found that I LOVED the (unhealthy) foods that I found there. To the point where I now make my own sweet tea. What is the difference between mixing plain iced tea with sweet tea, and merely making sweet tea with half the sugar? Are there other ingredients in the 'plain' iced tea?

Sweet Tea has so much sugar that it has a borderline syrupy quality to it.

Oh, I highly recommend Lemon Balm as an easy herb to grow and good addition to tea. I grew it indoors all winter and now will transfer some to my garden.

Back
Top Bottom