• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $778. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

The trials of the Capitol assaulters

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Shhhhh!! The rest of them may not know. Let the FBI have some fun bruh.

But... i just.... I mean, GOOGLE for chrissakes!

Or, did someone edit a Conservipedia entry to say 'no extradition?'

Maybe he thinks it's as hard to get criminals out of Switzerland as it is to get a criminal's money out of a Swiss bank?

Just... WTF?

He did.

Zurich wasn't on the list, so....

Very probably. He might at least know he had to go thru Switzerland to get to Zurich....

Shadowy Man

Veteran Member

So if the Senate votes against the idea that Trump incited the riot does that undermine these people’s’ defenses? If Trump doesn’t bear the responsibility then surely they do and their defense should not hold up in court.

Or even if they did believe it, is it an example of the old “I was only following orders” defense to excuse one’s own abhorrent behavior?

TomC

Veteran Member

So if the Senate votes against the idea that Trump incited the riot does that undermine these people’s’ defenses? If Trump doesn’t bear the responsibility then surely they do and their defense should not hold up in court.

Or even if they did believe it, is it an example of the old “I was only following orders” defense to excuse one’s own abhorrent behavior?

I don't pretend to know how the niceties of this works.

But I'd quite like to see the defendants call private citizen Trump to testify, under oath, about who said what and when.
Tom

Shadowy Man

Veteran Member

I don't pretend to know how the niceties of this works.

But I'd quite like to see the defendants call private citizen Trump to testify, under oath, about who said what and when.
Tom

He will now have the argument that not even the victims of the crime think he was responsible, so how exactly will his testimony give relief to the actual rioters?

lpetrich

Contributor
Accused Capitol Rioter Comes From Right-Wing Royalty - "The fourth Brent Bozell is carrying on the centurylong tradition of far-right provocation by the first three Brent Bozells."

Like father like son over four generations.

BB I was born in 1886 and he was a journalist and a newspaper editor before co-founding a marketing firm that still bears his name. A firm that coined slogans like "pork: the other white meat". He fought in WWI then became a prominent member of the American Legion back in Omaha.
While it’s considered impolite to mention it, the American Legion has always been extremely right-wing. At the 1925 convention, the program declared that the Legion’s purpose was “to maintain law and order [and] to foster and perpetuate a one hundred per cent Americanism.” Alvin Owsley, who’d been head of the Legion just a few years before, explained that “the Fascisti are to Italy what the American Legion is to the United States.” Bozell Sr. later became a director of an Omaha streetcar company, which hired 390 private guards and paid for guns, ammunition, and tear gas for the Omaha police to crush a strike in a particularly ugly way in 1935.

BB II was born in 1926. He met William F. Buckley Jr. in Yale, became very good friends with him, and ended up marrying his sister Patricia. After college, the two defended Senator Joseph McCarthy, for his presumed great awareness of all the Reds under our beds. BB II worked for Senator Barry Goldwater, and ghostwrote BG's book "The Conscience of a Conservative". In 1962, when BG ran for President, WFB tried to get the John Birch Society out of the conservative coalition, something that BB II didn't like. The JBS was the QAnon of its day, with its Communists-everywhere conspiracy theorizing, complete with Dwight Eisenhower being a participant.

BB II ended up moving to Spain, then ruled by right-wing dictator Francisco Franco.

BB III was born in 1955, and he founded the "Media Research Center" in 1987, dedicated to uncovering "liberal bias". One of its backers is oligarch Robert Mercer, a backer of Donald Trump. BB III has expressed more personal insights, like that Barack Obama looks "like a skinny, ghetto crackhead."

BB IV was born in 1980. L. Brent Bozell IV, son of a prominent conservative, is charged in Capitol riot. - The New York Times - "The son of Brent Bozell, a conservative commentator, has been charged in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol after being identified by wearing a sweatshirt from the Christian high school where he once worked as a girls basketball coach, court records show."

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
The man who put his feet up on a desk in Pelosi’s office during the Capitol riot throws a tantrum in court.

Richard Barnett, the Arkansas man charged with breaking into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office and stealing her mail during the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, threw a tantrum during a virtual court hearing on Thursday, yelling at the judge and his own lawyers that it wasn’t “fair” that he was still in jail weeks after his arrest.

One of the most recognizable figures from the Capitol assault, Mr. Barnett, 60, was photographed on Jan. 6 with his feet up on a desk in Ms. Pelosi’s office and a cattle-prod-like stun gun dangling from his belt.

From the moment he was taken into custody, he has waged an ongoing — and so far unsuccessful — effort to be freed on bond, and he loudly lost his patience with the process at an otherwise routine hearing in front of Judge Christopher Cooper of Federal District Court in Washington.

TomC

Veteran Member
The man who put his feet up on a desk in Pelosi’s office during the Capitol riot throws a tantrum in court.

Richard Barnett, the Arkansas man charged with breaking into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office and stealing her mail during the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, threw a tantrum during a virtual court hearing on Thursday, yelling at the judge and his own lawyers that it wasn’t “fair” that he was still in jail weeks after his arrest.

One of the most recognizable figures from the Capitol assault, Mr. Barnett, 60, was photographed on Jan. 6 with his feet up on a desk in Ms. Pelosi’s office and a cattle-prod-like stun gun dangling from his belt.

From the moment he was taken into custody, he has waged an ongoing — and so far unsuccessful — effort to be freed on bond, and he loudly lost his patience with the process at an otherwise routine hearing in front of Judge Christopher Cooper of Federal District Court in Washington.

I'm loving this stuff.

I sincerely enjoy hearing about Trump's treasonous supporters being held to account, and squealing like stuck pigs.

But not enough to follow such news personally.

Tom

ETA ~Another favorite was the guy who's Mom went on the news complaining that he couldn't get vegan food in jail. Oh, the humanity!? ~

Keith&Co.

Contributor
ETA ~Another favorite was the guy who's Mom went on the news complaining that he couldn't get vegan food in jail. Oh, the humanity!? ~

Organic, not vegan.
He's okay with meat, unless the cow was protected from diseases....

lpetrich

Contributor
Richard Barnett, Who Posed in Pelosi's Office During Riot, Yells in Court - The New York Times
Rachel Maddow did a dramatic reading of a transcript of the proceedings, though she warned "And I'm not a good actor, so I'm not sure how much emotion I can accurately convey here."

Defendant In Trump Riot Case Throws 'Tantrum' Over Being Held In Jail | Rachel Maddow | MSNBC - YouTube

Someone made a transcript of it at Happy Scribe

Federico Klein, former Trump appointee charged in Capitol riot, wants jail cell without cockroaches - "The FBI said in court documents that Klein can be seen on video taken during the siege resisting police officers and assaulting them with a riot shield."

Trump Appointee With ‘Top-Secret Clearance’ Arrested For Role In Capitol Riot | All In | MSNBC - YouTube - Federico Klein

With some video of FK taking part of an attack on some cops in a hallway.

TomC

Veteran Member
Federico Klein, former Trump appointee charged in Capitol riot, wants jail cell without cockroaches - "The FBI said in court documents that Klein can be seen on video taken during the siege resisting police officers and assaulting them with a riot shield."

If I were better at internetz, I'd find a YouTube clip of that song "My give a damn is busted!"
Tim

lpetrich

Contributor
Judge scolds Jacob Chansley, QAnon Shaman, for 60 Minutes interview - The Washington Post
A federal judge chided the self-identified “QAnon Shaman,” who was part of the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, for appearing in a “60 Minutes Plus” interview without permission.

During a detention hearing Friday, Judge Royce C. Lamberth of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia questioned whether Jacob Chansley appeared in the interview that aired Thursday without the required clearance from the U.S. Marshals Service, the detention facility or the judge. The judge also questioned whether Chansley’s attorney, Albert Watkins, was deceitful in skirting proper authorization to appear on the show.
Hmmm...
Chansley apologized last month for storming the Capitol, saying he regrets entering the building and that Trump “let a lot of peaceful people down.”

Chansley publicly requested — but did not receive — a pardon from Trump, an outcome with which he expressed disappointment in the “60 Minutes Plus” interview. At one point, Chansley had offered to testify against Trump during his impeachment trial.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Judge scolds Jacob Chansley, QAnon Shaman, for 60 Minutes interview - The Washington Post
A federal judge chided the self-identified “QAnon Shaman,” who was part of the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, for appearing in a “60 Minutes Plus” interview without permission.

During a detention hearing Friday, Judge Royce C. Lamberth of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia questioned whether Jacob Chansley appeared in the interview that aired Thursday without the required clearance from the U.S. Marshals Service, the detention facility or the judge. The judge also questioned whether Chansley’s attorney, Albert Watkins, was deceitful in skirting proper authorization to appear on the show.
Hmmm...
Chansley apologized last month for storming the Capitol, saying he regrets entering the building and that Trump “let a lot of peaceful people down.”

Chansley publicly requested — but did not receive — a pardon from Trump, an outcome with which he expressed disappointment in the “60 Minutes Plus” interview. At one point, Chansley had offered to testify against Trump during his impeachment trial.
That interview came up again. The judge felt that Chansley showed no sign of remorse for his sctions on Jan 6, and denied his request to be released from jail until the trial.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgDEAo&usg=AOvVaw34JC5XWQOTxrBI8d4wMo2o

Also, the judge is pretty sure a long pole with a spearhead is a weapon, for a few more detention points.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
A neighbor attended.
FBI -Boston office, has arrested 7 people that attended the riot.

Three from our county.
Two from my city.
One lives about three blocks from my office.

He's on rioter film, cop body-cam film, and of course took a wealth of selfies, one saying, 'I ain't missing this shit!'
He's on film trying to throw a punch at cops but hitting another rioter.

He's out on bail until the trial, for six criminal charges:
forcibly assaulting, resisting, opposing, impeding federal officers,
obstruction of law enforcement during civil disorder,
knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority,
knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in restricted building or grounds,
knowingly engaging in physical violence in restricted building or grounds
willfully and knowingly engaging in physical violence in capitol grounds or buildings.

lpetrich

Contributor
Capitol Riot Investigation Likely To Grow With More Charges : NPR
The Justice Department says it expects to charge at least 100 more people in connection with the storming of the Capitol, describing the investigation into the deadly attack as one of the biggest in U.S. history.

Federal prosecutors disclosed the estimate in court papers Friday as they seek more time to gather and sift through evidence in the sprawling probe before having to move cases to trial. ...

"The investigation and prosecution of the Capitol Attack will likely be one of the largest in American history, both in terms of the number of defendants prosecuted and the nature and volume of the evidence," federal prosecutors said in a filing Friday in a case against nine alleged members or associates of the Oath Keepers paramilitary group.
The prosecutors already have charges against at least 300 people, and they what to extend their investigation deadline by 60 days, so they can sift through the enormous volume of evidence that they have. ~ 15,000 of surveillance and bodycam footage, ~ 1600 electronic devices, >~ 210,000 tips, many with pictures or video, >~ 83,000 reports & 93,000 attachments related to interviews with suspects and witnesses.

TomC

Veteran Member
Capitol Riot Investigation Likely To Grow With More Charges : NPR
The Justice Department says it expects to charge at least 100 more people in connection with the storming of the Capitol, describing the investigation into the deadly attack as one of the biggest in U.S. history.

Federal prosecutors disclosed the estimate in court papers Friday as they seek more time to gather and sift through evidence in the sprawling probe before having to move cases to trial. ...

"The investigation and prosecution of the Capitol Attack will likely be one of the largest in American history, both in terms of the number of defendants prosecuted and the nature and volume of the evidence," federal prosecutors said in a filing Friday in a case against nine alleged members or associates of the Oath Keepers paramilitary group.
The prosecutors already have charges against at least 300 people, and they what to extend their investigation deadline by 60 days, so they can sift through the enormous volume of evidence that they have. ~ 15,000 of surveillance and bodycam footage, ~ 1600 electronic devices, >~ 210,000 tips, many with pictures or video, >~ 83,000 reports & 93,000 attachments related to interviews with suspects and witnesses.

I'm very glad to hear that the USA remains a nation of laws, regardless of Trump's ethics.

I just hope that this isn't one of those "prosecute the small fry, let the big fish with connections swim away" sort of deals. It's all too possible.
Tom

Keith&Co.

Contributor
I just hope that this isn't one of those "prosecute the small fry, let the big fish with connections swim away" sort of deals. It's all too possible.
Tom

Prosecutions like to go uphill. Let the smaller fry off for testimony helping fry the trophies. This will be a long time working its way thru the strata, but inexorably.

lpetrich

Contributor
Hundreds Who Stormed The Capitol May Not Be Charged - "Roughly 800 people entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, but few were arrested on the spot."
The criminal probe into the Jan. 6 insurrection has been described by the Justice Department as likely "one of the largest in American history." But as the investigation matures, it’s becoming increasingly clear that many of the roughly 800 people who breached the nation’s Capitol may never face any legal consequences because they were allowed to simply walk away from the scene.

The US Capitol Police arrested only 14 people that day, while the District of Columbia’s Metropolitan Police Department arrested only 25 for unlawful entry. Since then, more than 300 people have been charged in federal court, and late last week the Justice Department said it expects to bring cases against “at least” 100 more.
So about 400 people may escape prosecution, because of a lack of good evidence of their guilt.
Letting rioters go home also gave them an opportunity to obstruct justice. An analysis by BuzzFeed News found that more than three dozen people charged in the investigation had attempted to destroy evidence or scrub their social media profiles, although not always successfully. In court filings in dozens of cases, prosecutors have described efforts by defendants to scrub social media accounts, erase or destroy other evidence, hide out with family and friends, intimidate potential witnesses, and, in at least two cases, attempt to flee the country. And that’s just for the people who were actually caught.
AOC provoked a lot of outrage from right-wingers when she proposed keeping copies of Trump Admin members' social-media content and the like, so they don't try to cover up their careers.

But what she described is what Neera Tanden did, and what some of the attackers have tried to do.

"The US Capitol Police has conducted mass arrests during political protests in the past."
  • 600 people protesting Trump's immigration policies
  • 300 people protesting the confirmation hearings of Brett Kavanaugh
  • 200 people protesting Trump's inauguration
The first two were peaceful, while the third one had some smashed storefront windows and some confrontations with the police.
But on Jan. 6, faced with a decidedly violent crowd, the two police departments chose to let rioters leave. Video images show scores of people, many kitted out in tactical gear, being allowed to stream out of the Capitol’s entryways — bottlenecks where, Stoughton suggested, they could have been detained, handcuffed, and processed. “At least you could videotape people as they walk out,” he said.
The cops weren't very well-prepared. “Our investigation suggests that just wasn't doable at the moment,” Sen Gary Peters's spokesperson said.
Effectively making mass arrests, experts on policing say, would require officers to carry zip ties, set up staging areas, arrange transportation for detainees, and have a holding area to keep them while being processed. In other words, said David Harris, a professor specializing in policing at the University of Pittsburgh, precisely the kind of foresight and preparation the Capitol Police lacked that day.

“Everything tells me that if they'd had the numbers to make that many arrests, they would have been able to keep people out of the Capitol in the first place,” Harris said. The impact of that failure, he said, is potentially huge. “People will get away. Evidence will be destroyed. The damage was immediate, and it has only sunk deeper as time has gone on.“
The article then described efforts by some suspects to cover up their involvement in those attacks.
Physical evidence also went missing. One alleged rioter, Thomas Sibick, accused of assaulting an MPD officer and stealing his badge and radio, changed his story multiple times during FBI interviews. He ultimately admitted taking both items home to Buffalo, New York, and burying the badge in his backyard. Before being arrested, he presented an agent a bag containing the mud-covered badge.

TomC

Veteran Member
So about 400 people may escape prosecution, because of a lack of good evidence of their guilt.
In fairness, I could easily see half the crowd honestly believing that they were participating in a peaceful protest lead by the President.

It was all pretty chaotic.
Tom

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
In fairness, I could easily see half the crowd honestly believing that they were participating in a peaceful protest lead by the President.

Tom

Yes, the Orange Brat is the principle culprit; and he was first to be put on trial. But the Senators of the Republican Party — ostensibly the Wise Men of that criminal organization — by votes of 45-5, 45-5 and 43-7, announced that they supported treason, crimes, and the insurrection itself; and acquitted their criminal leader.

It's easy to see why the moronic dupes of Trump and the Right-wing Lie machine feel themselves to be the victims here.

lpetrich

Contributor
Capitol Insurrectionists To Start Getting Plea Deals - "Plea deals would mean a swifter resolution of the hundreds of Capitol riot prosecutions and could reveal which defendants are cooperating with the investigation."
Cudd — whose request to travel to Mexico for a work bonding trip after her arrest generated significant press attention and public outrage — is one of the few defendants who have proactively begun to fight their prosecution. Earlier this week, her lawyer filed a motion to transfer the case from Washington to Texas, where she lives, arguing that the jury pool in DC was tainted by “detrimental pretrial publicity and community prejudice.”
I love the sight of right-wingers discovering the rights of the accused when they are the ones being accused.

laughing dog

Contributor

Tom
How does that justify breaking into the Capitol or destroying property or attacking Capitol security officers? People are not being charged for protesting but for pretty obvious criminal actions.

Worldtraveller

Veteran Member

Tom
How does that justify breaking into the Capitol or destroying property or attacking Capitol security officers? People are not being charged for protesting but for pretty obvious criminal actions.
I think the point here is, they are charging people that they have actual criminal charges for, and the ones who just wandered around the capital building chanting stuff might get lucky and not get charged with anything. It would be nice to at least get them a letter in the mail about trespassing, fine them (and make them a bit nervous, might get some more confessions or dirt on others that were there) and presumably keep their names on a list in case they do something in the future.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
And this guy... he looks old enough to have seen the cop show, Barretta. Not a big fan of the show, myself, but we always sat thru Sammy Davis, Jr. singing the theme song, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

zTmShQa.png

Whoops....

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
So, Debra was confident on Parler:
View attachment 32458

But as it turns out:
View attachment 32459
Yeah... she doesn't admit being in the building, but you put a target on yourself to get a pic matched against video inside the Capitol. And apparently, she too was confused that she was actually watching a ton of Antifa, who were fed up. Heck, she might even be super secret deep undercover Antifa! Antifa definitely would want to make the right-wingers look real stupid, like this person.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor

Tom
The "peaceful" protest was away from the base of the steps to the Capitol building. A number of barricades were ignored by the not peaceful protest.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Insurrectionist insists she won't go to jail because she has 'blonde hair, white skin'

Sadly, she might have been right. It doesn't matter how many police officers were injured or killed, how many were attacked with bear spray, fire extinguishers and flag staffs, or how many eyes were gouged, or how much feces were spread on the walls: the rioters were white and privileged.

But the cardinal sin in our justice system that she broke is that you don't say the quiet part out loud.

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Definitely not going to jail. Sorry I have blonde hair white skin a great job a great future and I'm not going to jail. Sorry to rain on your hater parade. I did nothing wrong</p>— Jenna Ryan (@dotjenna) <a href="https://twitter.com/dotjenna/status/1375443216720400387?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Excellent.

According to the FBI indictment, Rodriguez is alleged to have shocked Officer Fanone six times on the back of his neck with a stun gun. Rodriguez faces 8 counts in the indictment, according to court records. As a result, Rodriguez now faces twenty years in prison.

Rodriguez was identified through a joint effort of Sedition Hunters and Huffington Post, with the judge citing their accumulated video evidence.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Capitol rioter couldn't fool Feds by restoring iPhone factory settings

"According to records obtained through a search warrant served on Google LLC, a mobile device associated with *******1982@gmail.com was present at the U.S. Capitol on January 6. The name associated with that account, according to Google, is Jeffrey Register and the account's recovery phone number is ….

"Google estimates device location using sources including GPS data and information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and Bluetooth beacons. This location data varies in its accuracy, depending on the source(s) of the data. As a result, Google assigns a "maps display radius" for each location data point. Thus, where Google estimates that its location data is accurate to within 10 meters to the location data point.

"Finally, Google reports that its "maps, display, radius" reflects the actual location of the device 68% of the time. In this case, Google location data shows that (Register's device was in the Capitol) "from approximately 2:17 p.m. until 4:38 p.m. Google records show that the "maps, display" radius for this location data was less than 100 feet, which encompasses an area that is entirely within the U.S. Capitol building. "

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
They read on their Qgroups how to cleverly outwit the government.... and they believe it.

lpetrich

Contributor
"Fox News made me do it"

Lawyer for accused Capitol rioter says client had 'Foxitis,' 'Foxmania' | TheHill
During a virtual hearing, a lawyer for Anthony Antonio explained that his client began watching Fox News often after he was lost his job at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, according to CNN.

“He became hooked with what I call ‘Foxitus’ or ‘Foxmania’ and became interested in the political aspect and started believing what was being fed to him,” attorney Joseph Hurley said, according to a HuffPost report.

During the hearing, Hurley said that Antonio believed he was following Trump’s orders to march and thought he was participating in a patriotic movement, according to HuffPost.

Another suspect, Landon Copeland, disrupted the proceedings multiple times, according to the CNN report.

Several Capitol rioters have pointed to Trump as a defense for their actions on Jan. 6. Most notably, an attorney for Anthony Chansley, who went viral in his outlandish fur and bullhorns costume as the “QAnon Shaman,” blamed the former president for Chansley’s involvement.

And attorney Emanuel Jackson, who was arrested for punching a police officer and hitting others with a metal bat, claimed he was “inspired” by Trump.
Right-wingers like to talk about taking responsibility for their actions. But when they are caught, they use defenses like "Trump made me do it" and "Fox News made me do it".

lpetrich

Contributor
From TheHill:
Video shows officers, who said the group was trespassing and “obstructing entrance into this facility,” denying the trio entry.

“The supervisor came down and was standing right here and turned her back on me. The other one said she won’t talk anymore and that we’re trespassers,” Gohmert said in comments to the press after the situation.

“We’re in totalitarian, Marxist territory here. This is the way third-world people get treated,” he added.

Gaetz tweeted a clip of him locked out of the facility saying the three were going to review “the conditions of the January 6th prisoners.”

“The door's locked and we’re just here to ask questions and now they’ve locked the door and not given us access,” Gaetz said.

“This was apparently a bait and switch. We are here just to speak to a supervisor and when the supervisor came out and we came out to have that discussion, they literally ran behind us and locked the doors,” he added.
The Recount on Twitter: "TRESPASSING: GOP Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene, Louie Gohmert, and Matt Gaetz are denied entry to a corrections facility holding January 6th prisoners. (link)" / Twitter

They seem like card-carrying members of the American Civil Liberties Union. :D

I remember when George Bush I used "card-carrying member of the ACLU" as an insult when he was running for President back in 1988.

Top Bottom