• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The trials of the Capitol assaulters

ETA ~Another favorite was the guy who's Mom went on the news complaining that he couldn't get vegan food in jail. Oh, the humanity!? ~

Organic, not vegan.
He's okay with meat, unless the cow was protected from diseases....

Richard Barnett, Who Posed in Pelosi's Office During Riot, Yells in Court - The New York Times
Richard Barnett, the Arkansas man charged with breaking into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office and stealing her mail during the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, threw a tantrum during a virtual court hearing on Thursday, yelling at the judge and his own lawyers that it wasn’t “fair” that he was still in jail weeks after his arrest.
Rachel Maddow did a dramatic reading of a transcript of the proceedings, though she warned "And I'm not a good actor, so I'm not sure how much emotion I can accurately convey here."

Defendant In Trump Riot Case Throws 'Tantrum' Over Being Held In Jail | Rachel Maddow | MSNBC - YouTube

Someone made a transcript of it at Happy Scribe

Federico Klein, former Trump appointee charged in Capitol riot, wants jail cell without cockroaches - "The FBI said in court documents that Klein can be seen on video taken during the siege resisting police officers and assaulting them with a riot shield."

Trump Appointee With ‘Top-Secret Clearance’ Arrested For Role In Capitol Riot | All In | MSNBC - YouTube - Federico Klein

With some video of FK taking part of an attack on some cops in a hallway.

Federico Klein, former Trump appointee charged in Capitol riot, wants jail cell without cockroaches - "The FBI said in court documents that Klein can be seen on video taken during the siege resisting police officers and assaulting them with a riot shield."

If I were better at internetz, I'd find a YouTube clip of that song "My give a damn is busted!"
Tim

Judge scolds Jacob Chansley, QAnon Shaman, for 60 Minutes interview - The Washington Post
A federal judge chided the self-identified “QAnon Shaman,” who was part of the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, for appearing in a “60 Minutes Plus” interview without permission.

During a detention hearing Friday, Judge Royce C. Lamberth of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia questioned whether Jacob Chansley appeared in the interview that aired Thursday without the required clearance from the U.S. Marshals Service, the detention facility or the judge. The judge also questioned whether Chansley’s attorney, Albert Watkins, was deceitful in skirting proper authorization to appear on the show.
Hmmm...
Chansley apologized last month for storming the Capitol, saying he regrets entering the building and that Trump “let a lot of peaceful people down.”

Chansley publicly requested — but did not receive — a pardon from Trump, an outcome with which he expressed disappointment in the “60 Minutes Plus” interview. At one point, Chansley had offered to testify against Trump during his impeachment trial.

Judge scolds Jacob Chansley, QAnon Shaman, for 60 Minutes interview - The Washington Post
A federal judge chided the self-identified “QAnon Shaman,” who was part of the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, for appearing in a “60 Minutes Plus” interview without permission.

During a detention hearing Friday, Judge Royce C. Lamberth of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia questioned whether Jacob Chansley appeared in the interview that aired Thursday without the required clearance from the U.S. Marshals Service, the detention facility or the judge. The judge also questioned whether Chansley’s attorney, Albert Watkins, was deceitful in skirting proper authorization to appear on the show.
Hmmm...
Chansley apologized last month for storming the Capitol, saying he regrets entering the building and that Trump “let a lot of peaceful people down.”

Chansley publicly requested — but did not receive — a pardon from Trump, an outcome with which he expressed disappointment in the “60 Minutes Plus” interview. At one point, Chansley had offered to testify against Trump during his impeachment trial.
That interview came up again. The judge felt that Chansley showed no sign of remorse for his sctions on Jan 6, and denied his request to be released from jail until the trial.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgDEAo&usg=AOvVaw34JC5XWQOTxrBI8d4wMo2o

Also, the judge is pretty sure a long pole with a spearhead is a weapon, for a few more detention points.

A neighbor attended.
FBI -Boston office, has arrested 7 people that attended the riot.

Three from our county.
Two from my city.
One lives about three blocks from my office.

He's on rioter film, cop body-cam film, and of course took a wealth of selfies, one saying, 'I ain't missing this shit!'
He's on film trying to throw a punch at cops but hitting another rioter.

He's out on bail until the trial, for six criminal charges:
forcibly assaulting, resisting, opposing, impeding federal officers,
obstruction of law enforcement during civil disorder,
knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority,
knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in restricted building or grounds,
knowingly engaging in physical violence in restricted building or grounds
willfully and knowingly engaging in physical violence in capitol grounds or buildings.

Capitol Riot Investigation Likely To Grow With More Charges : NPR
The Justice Department says it expects to charge at least 100 more people in connection with the storming of the Capitol, describing the investigation into the deadly attack as one of the biggest in U.S. history.

Federal prosecutors disclosed the estimate in court papers Friday as they seek more time to gather and sift through evidence in the sprawling probe before having to move cases to trial. ...

"The investigation and prosecution of the Capitol Attack will likely be one of the largest in American history, both in terms of the number of defendants prosecuted and the nature and volume of the evidence," federal prosecutors said in a filing Friday in a case against nine alleged members or associates of the Oath Keepers paramilitary group.
The prosecutors already have charges against at least 300 people, and they what to extend their investigation deadline by 60 days, so they can sift through the enormous volume of evidence that they have. ~ 15,000 of surveillance and bodycam footage, ~ 1600 electronic devices, >~ 210,000 tips, many with pictures or video, >~ 83,000 reports & 93,000 attachments related to interviews with suspects and witnesses.

Capitol Riot Investigation Likely To Grow With More Charges : NPR
The Justice Department says it expects to charge at least 100 more people in connection with the storming of the Capitol, describing the investigation into the deadly attack as one of the biggest in U.S. history.

Federal prosecutors disclosed the estimate in court papers Friday as they seek more time to gather and sift through evidence in the sprawling probe before having to move cases to trial. ...

"The investigation and prosecution of the Capitol Attack will likely be one of the largest in American history, both in terms of the number of defendants prosecuted and the nature and volume of the evidence," federal prosecutors said in a filing Friday in a case against nine alleged members or associates of the Oath Keepers paramilitary group.
The prosecutors already have charges against at least 300 people, and they what to extend their investigation deadline by 60 days, so they can sift through the enormous volume of evidence that they have. ~ 15,000 of surveillance and bodycam footage, ~ 1600 electronic devices, >~ 210,000 tips, many with pictures or video, >~ 83,000 reports & 93,000 attachments related to interviews with suspects and witnesses.

I'm very glad to hear that the USA remains a nation of laws, regardless of Trump's ethics.

I just hope that this isn't one of those "prosecute the small fry, let the big fish with connections swim away" sort of deals. It's all too possible.
Tom

I just hope that this isn't one of those "prosecute the small fry, let the big fish with connections swim away" sort of deals. It's all too possible.
Tom

Prosecutions like to go uphill. Let the smaller fry off for testimony helping fry the trophies. This will be a long time working its way thru the strata, but inexorably.

Hundreds Who Stormed The Capitol May Not Be Charged - "Roughly 800 people entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, but few were arrested on the spot."
The criminal probe into the Jan. 6 insurrection has been described by the Justice Department as likely "one of the largest in American history." But as the investigation matures, it’s becoming increasingly clear that many of the roughly 800 people who breached the nation’s Capitol may never face any legal consequences because they were allowed to simply walk away from the scene.

The US Capitol Police arrested only 14 people that day, while the District of Columbia’s Metropolitan Police Department arrested only 25 for unlawful entry. Since then, more than 300 people have been charged in federal court, and late last week the Justice Department said it expects to bring cases against “at least” 100 more.
So about 400 people may escape prosecution, because of a lack of good evidence of their guilt.
Letting rioters go home also gave them an opportunity to obstruct justice. An analysis by BuzzFeed News found that more than three dozen people charged in the investigation had attempted to destroy evidence or scrub their social media profiles, although not always successfully. In court filings in dozens of cases, prosecutors have described efforts by defendants to scrub social media accounts, erase or destroy other evidence, hide out with family and friends, intimidate potential witnesses, and, in at least two cases, attempt to flee the country. And that’s just for the people who were actually caught.
AOC provoked a lot of outrage from right-wingers when she proposed keeping copies of Trump Admin members' social-media content and the like, so they don't try to cover up their careers.

But what she described is what Neera Tanden did, and what some of the attackers have tried to do.

"The US Capitol Police has conducted mass arrests during political protests in the past."
  • 600 people protesting Trump's immigration policies
  • 300 people protesting the confirmation hearings of Brett Kavanaugh
  • 200 people protesting Trump's inauguration
The first two were peaceful, while the third one had some smashed storefront windows and some confrontations with the police.
But on Jan. 6, faced with a decidedly violent crowd, the two police departments chose to let rioters leave. Video images show scores of people, many kitted out in tactical gear, being allowed to stream out of the Capitol’s entryways — bottlenecks where, Stoughton suggested, they could have been detained, handcuffed, and processed. “At least you could videotape people as they walk out,” he said.
The cops weren't very well-prepared. “Our investigation suggests that just wasn't doable at the moment,” Sen Gary Peters's spokesperson said.
Effectively making mass arrests, experts on policing say, would require officers to carry zip ties, set up staging areas, arrange transportation for detainees, and have a holding area to keep them while being processed. In other words, said David Harris, a professor specializing in policing at the University of Pittsburgh, precisely the kind of foresight and preparation the Capitol Police lacked that day.

“Everything tells me that if they'd had the numbers to make that many arrests, they would have been able to keep people out of the Capitol in the first place,” Harris said. The impact of that failure, he said, is potentially huge. “People will get away. Evidence will be destroyed. The damage was immediate, and it has only sunk deeper as time has gone on.“
The article then described efforts by some suspects to cover up their involvement in those attacks.
Physical evidence also went missing. One alleged rioter, Thomas Sibick, accused of assaulting an MPD officer and stealing his badge and radio, changed his story multiple times during FBI interviews. He ultimately admitted taking both items home to Buffalo, New York, and burying the badge in his backyard. Before being arrested, he presented an agent a bag containing the mud-covered badge.

So about 400 people may escape prosecution, because of a lack of good evidence of their guilt.
In fairness, I could easily see half the crowd honestly believing that they were participating in a peaceful protest lead by the President.

It was all pretty chaotic.
Tom

In fairness, I could easily see half the crowd honestly believing that they were participating in a peaceful protest lead by the President.

Tom

Yes, the Orange Brat is the principle culprit; and he was first to be put on trial. But the Senators of the Republican Party — ostensibly the Wise Men of that criminal organization — by votes of 45-5, 45-5 and 43-7, announced that they supported treason, crimes, and the insurrection itself; and acquitted their criminal leader.

It's easy to see why the moronic dupes of Trump and the Right-wing Lie machine feel themselves to be the victims here.

Capitol Insurrectionists To Start Getting Plea Deals - "Plea deals would mean a swifter resolution of the hundreds of Capitol riot prosecutions and could reveal which defendants are cooperating with the investigation."
Cudd — whose request to travel to Mexico for a work bonding trip after her arrest generated significant press attention and public outrage — is one of the few defendants who have proactively begun to fight their prosecution. Earlier this week, her lawyer filed a motion to transfer the case from Washington to Texas, where she lives, arguing that the jury pool in DC was tainted by “detrimental pretrial publicity and community prejudice.”
I love the sight of right-wingers discovering the rights of the accused when they are the ones being accused.

Tom

What do you think "1776" meant?

Tom
How does that justify breaking into the Capitol or destroying property or attacking Capitol security officers? People are not being charged for protesting but for pretty obvious criminal actions.

Tom
How does that justify breaking into the Capitol or destroying property or attacking Capitol security officers? People are not being charged for protesting but for pretty obvious criminal actions.
I think the point here is, they are charging people that they have actual criminal charges for, and the ones who just wandered around the capital building chanting stuff might get lucky and not get charged with anything. It would be nice to at least get them a letter in the mail about trespassing, fine them (and make them a bit nervous, might get some more confessions or dirt on others that were there) and presumably keep their names on a list in case they do something in the future.

Back
Top Bottom