• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

I suspect what's really going on is that people are hearing on the TV that there is a massive run on TP, then going "oh shit, what if we run out of TP?" In short a classic bank run scenario only with TP rather than currency as the temporarily overvalued paper product of concern.

This is precisely what is going on, and it shows what happens when trashy TV news programs are more interested in sowing fear and outrage than they are in informing people.

It's also a demonstration of how much power the media has over people's decision-making.
No surprise to those of us that lived thru Johnny Carson accidentally creating the Great Toilet Paper Crisis.

One joke, one night, about the TP shortage that no one saw coming, he spent the rest of the week begging people not to hoard the stuff.

I'm starting to wonder if the rest of the world is fed up with Australia constantly pranking tourists with Drop Bear gags, so the entire lot of you banded together and came up with this toilet paper prank.

Well done, I'm impressed.

In the Portland greater metro region, I have noticed that road traffic is down maybe 10-20%. We were picking up some groceries Friday, and there was no hand sanitizer available. Didn't check the TP isle. We bought some (a normal amount) hand sanitizer about 10 days ago as we were low, and figured shortages would happen. Even then we had to go to a second store as a Fred Myers was all out.

I ordered five of these Purell dispensers, stands, and the sanitizer for work about a month ago. No sooner do I order it all, I’m told I have to remove the sanitizer from the order. So I do. Seems it has to be ordered under a different funding code. Does it have to be ordered under “Safety”? They are not sure but they are checking on it. Okay. So the days pass and a long email chain ensues. So it’s not “Safety”. Okay, what is it. Perhaps “Office Supplies”. Wait. Nope, not “Office Supplies”. Wait some more. “Janitorial”? Normally, yes but since we have a janitorial service we cannot actually order janitorial supplies ourselves. The service is contracted to supply everything we need so we are not funded to buy janitorial supplies. See, we have two different types of requisitions: “Supplies” and “Services”. If it’s “Supplies”, we buy it ourselves. If it’s “Services”, the supplies have to be ordered by the company providing the service. It all makes perfect sense if you let it. Okay, so the janitorial service gives us the sanitizer. No. That’s not in the contract. So what? We’re all gonna die if we don’t get hand sanitizer! Finally, they make up a funding code just for hand sanitizer. It actually starts with “corona” then a long chain of numbers. So finally, I go on line to order it again. Back ordered to May. Ugh.
I wash my hands of the whole deal.

You guys are really seeing toilet paper shortages in your stores? I didn’t realize people were going nuts on that.

Although, accidentally I totally overstocked. Hubby sent me a quick list for the grocery store and somehow I thought he said toilet paper when he actually said facial tissue. Ooops. Now I have a butload of TP and no Kleenex.

Apparently it's a massive issue Australia-wide.

It has no effect on us - we always buy in bulk when it's half price, and still have 168 rolls in the Harry Potter cupboard (down from 288 last time we stocked up).

Yup. I don't have a count but we have quite a bit on a closet shelf. I fill it up when I find a good enough price and we actually could get by without--two of our toilets have bidet attachments.

Some stocking up makes sense--until they get a vaccine for it we are minimizing contact with others. The fewer shopping trips the better. However, people are going insane about it, especially about bottled water.

You guys are really seeing toilet paper shortages in your stores? I didn’t realize people were going nuts on that.

Although, accidentally I totally overstocked. Hubby sent me a quick list for the grocery store and somehow I thought he said toilet paper when he actually said facial tissue. Ooops. Now I have a butload of TP and no Kleenex.

Apparently it's a massive issue Australia-wide.

It has no effect on us - we always buy in bulk when it's half price, and still have 168 rolls in the Harry Potter cupboard (down from 288 last time we stocked up).

Yup. I don't have a count but we have quite a bit on a closet shelf. I fill it up when I find a good enough price and we actually could get by without--two of our toilets have bidet attachments.

Some stocking up makes sense--until they get a vaccine for it we are minimizing contact with others. The fewer shopping trips the better. However, people are going insane about it, especially about bottled water.
This is another craze that confuses me. The soft drink industry has created a demand for a product without the sweetener, flavorings, or carbonation (the major cost in production of soft drinks) which they sell at a higher price, in some cases, than their soft drinks. Have people really stopped drinking tap water from their home taps and only drink tap water from these bottlers' taps?

I'd say Seattle is in the panic mode. Univ Washington will have final exams online. Students being sent home Multiple school closures. One school switching to online classes handing out wireless devices to those who need them.

Today on CNN estimates of mortally rates dropping. Possibly due to early detection and treatment compared to China. Down from 2-3% to .6%.

It would seem then it has not been over reaction if mortality rate is dropping. It must be affecting the infection rate.
The trouble isn't general populace. The ill and elderly are the ones dying from this disease and at notable percentages. Preventing the spread can save lives of these populations.

Right now my wife and I are working on the habits we will need to have in place if/when the virus is found here. We are drilling into our kids those habits. I don't want to not be in those habits too late.

Next week we move my mon from one assisted living to one close to us. I wish I could get her moved sooner.
Mom who is 85 had a friend die and the visitation is next weekend. She is in a wheel chair and I've told her that I'm not letting anyone kiss or hug her or hold her hand.

My daughter has a school trip to Disney World March 17 to 21. Frankly I wish it was cancelled but we are teaching her about sanitizing her seat in the airplane, using her shirt sleeve or elbow to open doors, etc..

Twice this weekend someone has wanted to shake my hand. I responded with the elbow bump instead.

Basically we are getting ready.

I heard the cashier at the local Target talking with a customer as I was checking out. Apparently they keep running out of both canned food and toilet paper.

I was in line to stock up on a bunch of canned food, incidentally...

We don't seem to have any shortages of anything here yet, but y'all are making me think that maybe I should run out and buy another dozen rolls of toilet paper. Maybe I will buy a few dozen packs of tuna. Tuna sandwiches are a fairly healthy thing to exist on for awhile. Oh Fuck This is just too much to worry about constantly. I'm going to exercise with a group of other old women in a few minutes. Exercise is an excellent way to boost one's immune system, plus it helps me cope.

But today, I remembered to put some tissues in my pocket in case I need to touch my face. :)

You know we are all going to be burned out with all this stuff, by the time the virus gets worse.

Well, the markets sure are affected. It looks like drops will be so steep, trading may be halted periodically throughout the day to slow the carnage. Oh and Russia balked at cuts in oil production so Saudi Arabia basically said fuck all y’all and is ramping up production. Oil is way down.
This is gonna be one helluva Monday.

I think oil is the driving force for the drop in the Dow. Things are just getting weird.

Aye. They'll be happy to blame "Covid-19 hysteria" for the collapse of the stock market, but it was already deeply unstable for a host of reasons.

My company has banned all business related travel. I guess if i'm going to get infected out of town, i have to do it only own dime.

Of course, the local hospital has the facilities to quarantine exactly one patient. He's already in there. So it's just going to be a case of Waiting For Cordot.

My company has banned all business related travel. I guess if i'm going to get infected out of town, i have to do it only own dime.

Of course, the local hospital has the facilities to quarantine exactly one patient. He's already in there. So it's just going to be a case of Waiting For Cordot.
I work for the US government. They have banned all deployments to some parts of the world, which is going to make things interesting around here for at least a while.

Aye. They'll be happy to blame "Covid-19 hysteria" for the collapse of the stock market, but it was already deeply unstable for a host of reasons.

While I agree that the market was unrealistically high at least partially due to irrational exuberance, as well as all the stock buy backs that were done after the corporate tax break, the COVID-19 virus certainly did have a big influence on the recent drop. Prior to the virus, economic indicators were pretty decent. One could say that the virus was the trigger for the downturn. It's a global sell off, which again points to the influence that the virus has started.

But, I tend to think that even more worrisome is that the bond rate is at an all time low. Right now, there are no realistic ways for the average person to invest their money, retirement savings etc. Houses are increasing in value due partly to the low interest rates and probably more so, due to the fact that there is currently a housing shortage. So, of course, very wealthy people are buying up homes for investment purposes. That's not helping the average person either. Rents in many areas are unaffordable for a large percentage of people too.

But, Trump and the people in the FED seem to think that lowering interest rates again will somehow magically end the decline. After the most recent cut, the markets tanked even more, which any thoughtful person with even the most basic understanding of economics, probably could have predicted. Negative interest rates haven't helped Europe and they won't help us.

Nobody was expecting a global pandemic, and that is looking more and more like what we are starting to face. We aren't prepared for it, and the world hasn't dealt with one since 1918.

Nobody was expecting a global pandemic, and that is looking more and more like what we are starting to face. We aren't prepared for it, and the world hasn't dealt with one since 1918.

It doesn't help that Trump dismantled / eliminated a pandemic response team that Obama had instituted after, I think the ebola, issue. Obama determined that the US needed a strike team in place to take action against future pandemics.

Our stable genius got rid of it because of course everything Obama did was bad.

https://www.mediamatters.org/corona...-coronavirus-trump-tried-blame-obama-ny-times

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

Back
Top Bottom