• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

I've been a work at home employee since 2009 and glad of it. I go to the office like twice a year. Skype and Skype for Business has made it all possible.

Two emails in my work inbox this morning.
1, someone in this building has tested positive for the virus.
Got an update.
The affected person's desk is within nerf gun range of my desk.

Interesting discovery.
I really thought my English Teacher wife would have been the one to bring it into the house.

Our Pow-Wow has officially been canceled. Ah, well. Can't say I didn't see it coming.

Campus bigwigs are preparing for a fully online option if any cases turn up on campus. With no confirmed cases in county, but cases in 4 of the six surrounding counties, a "base under siege" mentality pervades. The students seem to be calming down a bit this week actually, but the same cannot be said for the administration.

1, someone in this building has tested positive for the virus. They say they have contacted everyone unnamed coworker was in contact with to self-quarantine. I hope they called people at home, not notify by work email...

2, someone wanted to know what i'm bringing to the pot-luck on Friday. A ten foot pole sounds good.

This is your opportunity to show up at work in a hazmat suit. But for a good reason, this time.

1, someone in this building has tested positive for the virus. They say they have contacted everyone unnamed coworker was in contact with to self-quarantine. I hope they called people at home, not notify by work email...

2, someone wanted to know what i'm bringing to the pot-luck on Friday. A ten foot pole sounds good.

This is your opportunity to show up at work in a hazmat suit. But for a good reason, this time.

Um, no.
I've worn protective gear for a six-hour work shift before. It's not as glamorous as it looks.

But i might duct tape some filters on Trixie. I was just about to don the t-rex costume again, but i fear there's nothing i can really hand out right now except hand sanitizer and toilet paper, and i just don't wanna do either of those.

County had its first two confirmed cases today. Judging from the general tone on campus today, I'd say the remaining semester of physical classes will be measured in days, not weeks. I'm not a really ready to convert four classes to online only, this is going to be a rolling disaster.

LA traffic is noticeably lighter. Journey time is definitely shorter. I think schools are going to start closing and extending spring break.

Community college students aren't analogues to UC Berkeley students; I find the idea of trying to do everything by video lecture a bit absurd. Most students are just going to drop out of their coursework, if the campus closes.

Community college students aren't analogues to UC Berkeley students; I find the idea of trying to do everything by video lecture a bit absurd. Most students are just going to drop out of their coursework, if the campus closes.
That sounds like you are affirming what was posted in this thread:
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...Immigrant-Says-College-Degrees-Mostly-Useless

Musk said "you don't need college to learn stuff" and that knowledge is available basically for free. He described college as a bunch of "annoying homework assignments" and said one of the main values of attending college is students spending time with people their own age before joining the workforce.

What happens to the students that live on campus? Particularly the foreign students. I heard one student from the UK who said it was possible she could get kicked out the dorms.

That sounds like you are affirming what was posted in this thread:
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...Immigrant-Says-College-Degrees-Mostly-Useless

Musk said "you don't need college to learn stuff" and that knowledge is available basically for free. He described college as a bunch of "annoying homework assignments" and said one of the main values of attending college is students spending time with people their own age before joining the workforce.

The hell I am. Musk is an idiot. I mean, a genius, but also an idiot.

What happens to the students that live on campus? Particularly the foreign students. I heard one student from the UK who said it was possible she could get kicked out the dorms.

Well, we have none. But this is a fairly serious problem for the major universities.

Work is having everyone telecommute for the next couple weeks.

Governor is advising people to keep a minimum distance from others, but how do they expect that for teachers working in overcrowded schools? Sure, can close the college and universities , but the grade school germ factories are open, and trying to force 30+ students into each classroom.

Coworker was scheduled to have an MRI done this morning.
They asked where he worked. He told them.
They took a step back, asked if he was aware that 'some guy' in our building had been identified as having COVID-19.
He said yes.
They took another step back. Asked if he worked anywhere near the affected coworker.
Yes, but i had no contact with him for the last three months.

They canceled the procedure. Don't want him coughing on the thingamabob.

I'm okay if most of my seven doctors want to cancel appointments to be cautious about spreading the virus to other patients. Get off work for an hour, watch some quality TV in the waiting room, then suddenly have the afternoon free...

But one is an hour-and-a-half drive away. I will call ahead to see if they're screening people on the basis of possible exposure.

Or maybe not. Might be worth the trip to steal toilet paper out of the washroom there.

..... Or maybe not. Might be worth the trip to steal toilet paper out of the washroom there.
While you are at it, you may want to check to see if they have any bottled water you can swipe.

Not a likely find at an ophthalmologists' office, but I'll look.

We were told today that people are stealing sanitizer from the conference rooms. Dammit, people, if you're going to take the company stores, you have to drink it in the room you find it!

Work is having everyone telecommute for the next couple weeks.

Governor is advising people to keep a minimum distance from others, but how do they expect that for teachers working in overcrowded schools? Sure, can close the college and universities , but the grade school germ factories are open, and trying to force 30+ students into each classroom.

If everyone telecommutes, I can work in the office. ;)

My kids came home from school with the rumor today that Massachusetts is discussing whether to have k-12 remote learning instituted. Not sure if this is just my town or the whole state or something inbetween. If that happens, with 3 kids streaming school class and me working at home, I think my internet plan at 200mbps could handle it but can the whole internet infrastructure handle it? My entire town is Comcast. Town authorities in some closed door deal decided to ban Verizon/Fios from competing in my town.

Disneyland, Anaheim to close down for the rest of the month. Doesn't affect me but CA tourist industry is going to take a bit of a hit. Movie releases being postponed too.

Back
Top Bottom