• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

There is a school around here that was actually prepared to go remote learning. Problem is, believe it or not, not everyone has internet.

That is absolutely my concern with it. The campus library is the access point to the internet for many of our students, and/or the county library. Is cramming either of those buildings with stressed out students (sharing headphones so they can listen to live-streamed lectures) going to reduce or increase infection rates?

LAUSD is unsure about closing the schools because so many families don't have internet at home AND many of the kids rely on getting meals while at school. FFS, since when did families rely on schools to feed their kids ?

MLB stops spring training, opening day postponed.

Ohio health official estimates 100,000 people in state have coronavirus

A top health official in Ohio estimated on Thursday that more than 100,000 people in the state have coronavirus, a shockingly high number that underscores the limited testing so far.

Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton said at a press conference alongside Gov. Mike DeWine (R) that given that the virus is spreading in the community in Ohio, she estimates at least 1 percent of the population in the state has the virus.

"We know now, just the fact of community spread, says that at least 1 percent, at the very least, 1 percent of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today," Acton said. "We have 11.7 million people. So the math is over 100,000. So that just gives you a sense of how this virus spreads and is spreading quickly."

She added that the slow rollout of testing means the state does not have good verified numbers to know for sure.

"Our delay in being able to test has delayed our understanding of the spread of this," Acton said.

LAUSD is unsure about closing the schools because so many families don't have internet at home AND many of the kids rely on getting meals while at school. FFS, since when did families rely on schools to feed their kids ?

Low income have been relying on schools to feed kids for at least 20 years. Many families from low income to upper income have relied on schools for day care for at least 40 years. In fact, nowadays a lot of people refer to their toddlers daycare as ‘school,’ which drives me insane. Some programs such as Head Start have always had a food/nutrition program (2 meals a day) for children since their inception.

As always, the most vulnerable will face the most harm. Many people not only don’t have health care, they don’t have paid time off and a lot of people face losing their job if they miss work at all, much less for enough time to ride out a self quarantine or a school closing. Many of those people handle your food. And of course small businesses are at risk if they aren’t able to stay open due to employees needing time off, or can’t stay open if there is a big interruption in the supply chain and they can’t get their products or supplies or if customers don’t come.

So my Dad won’t be able to die with the available family around him. Just two family members, a day. Statewide.

Low income have been relying on schools to feed kids for at least 20 years. Many families from low income to upper income have relied on schools for day care for at least 40 years. In fact, nowadays a lot of people refer to their toddlers daycare as ‘school,’ which drives me insane. Some programs such as Head Start have always had a food/nutrition program (2 meals a day) for children since their inception.

As always, the most vulnerable will face the most harm. Many people not only don’t have health care, they don’t have paid time off and a lot of people face losing their job if they miss work at all, much less for enough time to ride out a self quarantine or a school closing. Many of those people handle your food. And of course small businesses are at risk if they aren’t able to stay open due to employees needing time off, or can’t stay open if there is a big interruption in the supply chain and they can’t get their products or supplies or if customers don’t come.

Yeah, I wasn’t certain how Akron would manage distribution of meals. We actually have a no cost breakfast / lunch program for all students.

I think TSwizzle might need to venture out of the bubble once in a while.

Company is closed until further notice. But work still needs to be done, so work from home with manager approval.

Knowing i have the attention span of a gerbil in a marching band, i haven't telecommuted in my life. Will try to tie into three networks for the very first time on Friday The 13th...

My company just ordered everyone who can work from home to work from home. That's about 95% of us though I'd guess that 50%, including me, already worked from home. Those who can't do their jobs at home will be in a very empty facility.

All business travel also cancelled until further notice.

Companies like Logitech who make headsets for computers are going to sell out.

While a pile of local school districts in Massachusetts have already closed for at least 2 weeks, there is a conference call tomorrow between the Commissioner of Education for Massachusetts and the school superintendents for every town in the state.

My son's employers closed the yoga and health center for six weeks. Youngest works the front desk, so he'll spend most of the time cancelling reservations and answer angry phone calls.

There's been some cases in my city but no real spread as of yet.

I also work in IT for my city's hospital, which acts as a hub for most of the hospitals in Southwestern Ontario. As of now funds have been allocated to us for Coronavirus related work, the extent of which I'm not really privy to, but I think it's mostly precautionary measures, making sure clinicians are getting the right alerts about patients and that kind of thing.

Schools are closed all over our state.

My son's college has them doing remote classes.

Grocery store was packed today at 2:30pm. Everyone was panic shopping. I didn't know I was supposed to be panic shopping, but I tried to fit in...

I don't know if I have it yet.

One of the fast food outlets our company delivers to had a staff member test positive for COVID-19.

Three drivers, including the boss, were asked not to come to work until tested and cleared. So I did three runs today, started at 4am and finished at 3:52pm.

Tomorrow looks like being much the same story.

My pay packet will certainly benefit, but I am tired already.

People are starting to stock-pile in my city and the virus hasn't even hit us yet. Maybe I'll go to the Asian grocery so I won't get body-checked by people trying to buy extra eggs?

The English Premier league has suspended games. A couple of players and the Arsenal manager tested positive.

My son told me that his kids school is closed until April 5th. It's a charter school run by the Indianapolis Secular Humanists, so I don't know if all the schools in Indy are closed or not. Unfortunately, despite the fact that my son is a programmer/developer who works from home 2 days a week, the DOD hasn't allowed all IT workers to work from home everyday during this pandemic.

People are starting to stock-pile in my city and the virus hasn't even hit us yet. Maybe I'll go to the Asian grocery so I won't get body-checked by people trying to buy extra eggs?

Good idea. Just don't buy the bat curry or the pangolin burgers.

My company just ordered everyone who can work from home to work from home. That's about 95% of us though I'd guess that 50%, including me, already worked from home. Those who can't do their jobs at home will be in a very empty facility.

All business travel also cancelled until further notice.

Companies like Logitech who make headsets for computers are going to sell out.

I was switched to full-time work from home last week, totally unrelated to COVID. One problem with sending all of your IT staff home is that there may be a limited number of remote connections available into the company network. If I can't connect, I guess I'll work on all of our home improvement tasks, or try for a nooner.

Back
Top Bottom