• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

Today I learned that a woman in adjacent apartments got sick with C19. From what I have gathered from other neighbors she spent 10 days in a hospital, then released back home to her husband and young daughter who are both apparently OK. She is fairly obese and I suspect she was released well before she got OK/non infectious.
This is fucking scary.

I shouldn't be saying this, because it may be premature and tempting fate, but it looks like Donald trump and I have something in common. We tested positive on the same day. Both doing well so far. On behalf of both of us I'd like to thank all the well-wishers.
What are your symptoms so far?

Started off (exactly a week ago) with severe headache, achey limbs, etc. At first I didn't notice the loss of smell and taste but there was that too. Then a bit of a cough. That's when I had the test (last Thursday) which turned out positive (last Friday). Since then, headache dwindled, as did cough, but there was a tightness in my chest for a few days. Now that has eased a lot.

I just self-isolated at home alone, took lots of vitamin D, vitamin C & zinc tablets, drank loads of water, and rested. I know I'm not necessarily out of the woods yet, but at least I'm currently getting better not worse. I'm to stay self-isolated until Saturday. I'm 60, so not exactly outside a risk group.

I have no idea where I caught it. I don't know anyone else who has it and I had a very quiet, indoors week prior, as regards mixing with other people. My best guess is that I got it while out shopping, by touching something someone else had touched.
By the way, it's been 3 weeks, how are you doing now?

All the kids schooling from home and all the people working at home has created a shortage of inkjet printer cartridges. No one has the cyan and yellow cartridges for my HP Officejet. Even HP is out of stock on HP's own online store.

There are plenty of Chinese made knockoffs but I've tried them before and they frequently don't work.

Too bad you don’t have a Canon. I have a bag ful of inkjet cartridges for my mother’s no longer operable Canon printer. None of my siblings uses one, so here I sit with all this ink!

Too bad you don’t have a Canon. I have a bag ful of inkjet cartridges for my mother’s no longer operable Canon printer. None of my siblings uses one, so here I sit with all this ink!

Staples will pay you a couple dollars per cartridge if u bring them to the store. They have a limit on how many at a time though.

Of course i don't go into any store i don't really have to go to these days.

Three more people at work got it. Friday one had it and after compulsory testing two more were positive. I haven't gotten my resuls yet, because the Internet platform where we get the information has crashed.

Staples will pay you a couple dollars per cartridge if u bring them to the store. They have a limit on how many at a time though.

Of course i don't go into any store i don't really have to go to these days.

I know they pay for empties - but these are full ones! They should be giving me $20 a piece!

I know they pay for empties - but these are full ones! They should be giving me $20 a piece!
Did you try eBay?

Beware that depending on how old they are and the kind of ink, they can expire. Pigment based ink, as opposed to dye based ink, can settle and clunk if they sit a long time without being shaken up. Most of Canon's inkjet printers use dye based ink but newer ones use pigments and some use dye color and pigment black. Or a choice between dye or pigment. Dye based black ink is really more very dark purple.

So my mom has said that she's not supposed to go out of her assisted living to visit us on thanksgiving so she has chosen to stay put.

Good!

As much as i wish that we could do what's traditional, given the rising cases i do not want to take the risk but i'm glad it's her choice rather than me telling her she can't visit.

So when all the college kids are kicked out of the dorms that weekend my daughter and 2 dorm friends will stay at my mom's house that no one is living in but we keep the heat and utilities on. It will be different but she and her friends can have their own dinner and weekend. She'll have fun with friends. These friends also are reluctant to go home due to c19.

We are lucky to have a spare house in these times.

Same will probably happen for xmas but my daughter shouldn't need to spend all 4 weeks there.

You'd think that in these times colleges would find a way to keep the dorms open. It really is irresponsible to kick everyone out to go all over the country under the circumstances.

Glad your mom is staying put. And glad for your daughter’s mini dorm space idea! Yeah the college return is going to be a thing. I’m glad my kids stayed home this semester, but they want to go back on January.

Let's stick with eradicating COVID-19, a manageable feat which several other less stupid nations have already achieved. Your fucking machismo is not my problem.

Actually, that IS your problem. And mine, and every other American's problem. Fucking idiots.

Maddow Blog on Twitter: "Here is that powerful testimony from Montana ICU nurse Joey Traywick (with a little bit of perspective from Dr. Kris Spanjian at the beginning).

Reporting by NBC News' @gabegutierrez from @StVincentMT https://t.co/RQfTXQSZJF" / Twitter

Gabe Gutierrez on Twitter: "'We are broken': Montana health care workers battle growing Covid outbreak https://t.co/gEJZD22bpt" / Twitter
noting
'We are broken': Montana health care workers battle growing Covid outbreak - "NBC News was granted rare access inside the ICU at St. Vincent hospital in Billings to show the pandemic’s devastating impact on rural areas."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s not normal for people to handle this much human loss. ..." / Twitter
It’s not normal for people to handle this much human loss.

We must make serious, long term investments in specialized mental health support for our frontline workers confronting the human toll of COVID day in & day out.

Healthcare is a right, and that includes mental health.

This has all the conditions of a collective trauma, incl PTSD risk for 1000s of workers.

Many of our hospital workers can barely speak about the trauma of 1st COVID spike.

Same for home healthcare aides, who opened doors visiting patients not knowing if they’d be alive or not.

This is on top of increased need for mental healthcare for all.

We must make serious investments in our mental health infrastructure across the board, and frontline workers deserve to have specialized care available to them.

We thank them by getting them what they need.

There has been a case in my mom's Assisted Living. So for the moment they are all supposed to stay in their rooms at least until they can do some contact tracking and hopefully some real testing.

My daughter just called to say that they have evacuated the dining halls at her college and will announce how all these kids will get fed by 5pm. Other than where to get food she's worried if they will close the dorms. There have only been 6 cases at Salem State Univ. since opening day. I don't think that they would close.

But we may have to consider getting internet turned on at my mother's vacant house. If they do send everyone away, she should go there with a couple friends. We have a spare car at that house but I'd need to get it into my name and re-registered and insured but my daughter has not bothered to get a driver's license yet. I may be stick buying food for her once a week.

She and we really think that it's best for her to not live at our house at this time. She needs to develop independence and she's a drama queen and triggers past trauma in the house based from her dangerous behavior when she was younger.

Trying to throw your daughter a birthday party in the middle of November during a pandemic can be problematic. Bumped it up a week for odds on better weather. We found a park, but we still need to keep the numbers low. The weather is going to be gorgeous... and could have done it at our place, but we didn't know if we'd need an outdoor area with a shelter because of rain (snow?). Unfortunately a couple people are out because they were just recently exposed Covid-19 (their tests aren't back yet). So the party is going to not be that big. But it is at least something.

How old is she?

We've had already decided hat we can't risk bringing my mom home to her old home for Thanksgiving and that my daughter would stay there instead with a couple friends. Xmas will probably be the same deal but at least 2 weeks and they are not testing at her school from the week before thanksgiving.

Need to find out what it costs to get basic internet into the house. No phone or TV. Just internet capable of handling zoom classes. If she does have to leave the dorms I wonder what the chances are of getting a refund on her pre-paid room and board. Glad we didn't pay for the whole school year. Just fall semester.

Back
Top Bottom