• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

How old is she?

We've had already decided hat we can't risk bringing my mom home to her old home for Thanksgiving and that my daughter would stay there instead with a couple friends. Xmas will probably be the same deal but at least 2 weeks and they are not testing at her school from the week before thanksgiving.

Need to find out what it costs to get basic internet into the house. No phone or TV. Just internet capable of handling zoom classes. If she does have to leave the dorms I wonder what the chances are of getting a refund on her pre-paid room and board. Glad we didn't pay for the whole school year. Just fall semester.
She's going to be 8.

I'm hoping for climate change T-Day and Xmas. It's my Mom's first of both without Dad and my Mother-in-Law is on her own (divorce). But spending time with family was deemed less important than "going out to the bar" by many Americans.

Lost a colleague to COVID today, a gal who has been working in our Campus Safety office for several years now. She was 31, has two kids now orphaned. Sad affair.

Lost a colleague to COVID today, a gal who has been working in our Campus Safety office for several years now. She was 31, has two kids now orphaned. Sad affair.

I am so sorry Politesse. What a painful loss. ((((((((Politesse)))))))

I am so sorry Politesse. What a painful loss. ((((((((Politesse)))))))
That is so terrible, Politesse ... I'm sorry for you and saddened for the family ...

Oh ffs, the insufferable prick that is the governor of California, Gavin Newsom is apologizing for attending a function at a restaurant and mixing with people from more than three households. The event was a birthday party for one of his pals, a tasting at a very exclusive $800 a head French restaurant. This prick scolds and lectures us every fucking day about avoiding this stuff. The guidelines for thanksgiving are laughable. “Wear your mask between bites “ . indEed.
$800 a head and the homeless are everywhere in California.

Oh ffs, the insufferable prick that is the governor of California, Gavin Newsom is apologizing for attending a function at a restaurant and mixing with people from more than three households. The event was a birthday party for one of his pals, a tasting at a very exclusive $800 a head French restaurant. This prick scolds and lectures us every fucking day about avoiding this stuff. The guidelines for thanksgiving are laughable. “Wear your mask between bites “ . indEed.

Are you affected?

Well of course it could affect me ! Since I live in California, Newsom could be spreading the virus and exposing me to the virus and I will die !!111!!!!!1!

You are right, wealth inequality in California is a serious problem.

I presume you are lobbying hard for tax increases to pay for affordable housing, welfare payments, and even mental health services for those homeless people, to help lift them out of their situation.

Well of course it could affect me ! Since I live in California, Newsom could be spreading the virus and exposing me to the virus and I will die !!111!!!!!1!

You can't have it both ways. If it's a nothing then his behavior isn't a threat to you.

LOL! Just after insufferable prick Newsom was caught flouting his own rules , hypocrite Nancy Pelosi has been backed into a corner and has canceled a lavish dinner event for welcoming new senate members. These cunts have no idea. Fuck them all.

It has hit again involving people close to me.

My cousin and her entire family were all infected. Several of them were seriously ill, and one of them spent 3 weeks in ICU and was intubated for over a week. These were very healthy people.

And just now I learned that my boss from the first commercial construction office I managed has died from COVID. He was very rarely sick from anything so this is a real shock. He was very active and healthy, running both a construction company and a cattle breeding operation. I suspect he did not take any precautions at all as he always thought he was invincible. But this is truly awful. He was a very good person and will be seriously missed; our local construction community is mourning his loss.

Ruth

While I don't know anyone in my real life who has been infected yet, I'm expecting my cousins to become infected soon. My cousins have this crazy plan to all meet at a rented house in either Utah or Arizona and have all the kids and grand kids who are working or in college come in for a huge feast which I think given their Mormon ways probably number in the dozens.

My uncle, father of these people, who is not Mormon, has decided that it's too risky to go.

A friend's father was intubated a few days ago.

One of the last things he heard while he was still awake was that his brother had died of COVID.

My friend's father is an immigrant, the two brothers live on different continents.

I went to a party. Everyone was tested before, everyone hot tested afterwards. Then the bomb comes. Two guys test positive afterwards.

But after some detective work we figure out that they hadn't been sick at the party. They had been infected afterwards.

Still makes me nervous. It'll be my last party for a while

There must be some metric, some "carrier duration" when a person is capable of infecting others but is not yet symptomatic.

I would wager that the "carrier duration" for COVID-19 is higher than for other viral infections.

I went to a party. Everyone was tested before, everyone hot tested afterwards. Then the bomb comes. Two guys test positive afterwards.

But after some detective work we figure out that they hadn't been sick at the party. They had been infected afterwards.

Still makes me nervous. It'll be my last party for a while

If you had posted this in March, or even April, I might have had some sympathy.

But in November? Have you been living under a log? How could you possibly have not realised that going to parties is incredibly foolhardy by this point?

There must be some metric, some "carrier duration" when a person is capable of infecting others but is not yet symptomatic.

I would wager that the "carrier duration" for COVID-19 is higher than for other viral infections.

People are infectious for a long period of time, but are most infectious during the first few days of their infection, with the likelihood of transmisison slowly declining over time. This means that people who develop symptoms usually develop them about 48-72 hours after they first became a danger to others. Keep in mind that not everyone does exhibit symptoms, but are equally likely to spread the contagion whether they are showing symptoms or not. So in that case, their "carrier duration" would be the entire time they are infected.

In terms of this metric, COVID-19 is quite similar to other coronaviruses, and a bit more infectious than most influenzas.

Epidemiology already exists, so it's probably not necessary for you to reinvent it from scratch.

The concept of a presymptomatic transmission period in infectious disease has been around for a century or so.

No wager, this is known. It's a big part of why it's so hard to control.

We nailed SARS because if you were infectious you had symptoms. Now, it's brother is back for revenge after fixing SARS' achillies heel.

Back
Top Bottom