• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The World-O-Meter Thread

Well, great. But not a good reason to abandon all precaution whatsoever.
Who says it is? I was just objecting to your misleading claim that cases are rising.

And that was the behavior that I was remarking on in the post that you quote-mined.
I wasn't quote-mining. I merely pointed out that you were being misleading.

Well, great. But not a good reason to abandon all precaution whatsoever.
Who says it is? I was just objecting to your misleading claim that cases are rising.

And that was the behavior that I was remarking on in the post that you quote-mined.
I wasn't quote-mining. I merely pointed out that you were being misleading.

It wasn't, until you took the quote out of context. I didn't claim that rate of infections was accelerating. It doesn't have to be, for congregating indoors without a mask to be an incredibly bad, irresponsibly dangerous idea still.

It wasn't, until you took the quote out of context.
I didn't take anything out of context.

I didn't claim that rate of infections was accelerating.
But you did say it was increasing.

It doesn't have to be, for congregating indoors without a mask to be an incredibly bad, irresponsibly dangerous idea still.

Tell that to all the idiots attending indoor NBA parties at Atlanta area nightclubs this weekend!

It doesn't have to be, for congregating indoors without a mask to be an incredibly bad, irresponsibly dangerous idea still.

Tell that to all the idiots attending indoor NBA parties at Atlanta area nightclubs this weekend!

What the fuck are you talking about? I haven't advocated for any sort of indoor parties.

Is this supposed another stupid fucking race thing? Because if so, I'm out.

What the fuck are you talking about? I haven't advocated for any sort of indoor parties.

It's just a topical news-related thing. There is an NBA All Star game in Atlanta today and even though there is no attendance at the game itself [so why bring it here in the first place and not play it in the bubble in Florida?], people have been flocking here to attend unofficial events - parties, concerts etc.
Btw, white people can attend those things too, so it's not a "race thing", but interesting you think so here but did not have the same objection when CPAC was offered as a possible superspreader event. Interesting indeed.

It's just a topical news-related thing.

It's "just" whataboutism.

There is an NBA All Star game in Atlanta today and even though there is no attendance at the game itself [so why bring it here in the first place and not play it in the bubble in Florida?], people have been flocking here to attend unofficial events - parties, concerts etc.
Btw, white people can attend those things too, so it's not a "race thing", but interesting you think so here but did not have the same objection when CPAC was offered as a possible superspreader event. Interesting indeed.

His question about whether you are posting something race related is, statistically, a pretty solid guess.

It's still accurate to say that cases have been declining recently, which is a good sign.

Well, great. But not a good reason to abandon all precaution whatsoever. And that was the behavior that I was remarking on in the post that you quote-mined.

The car is speeding down a hill at dangerous speed! We applied breaks and it is slowing down now, so it must be all right to take our foot off the break right?

It's still accurate to say that cases have been declining recently, which is a good sign.

Well, great. But not a good reason to abandon all precaution whatsoever. And that was the behavior that I was remarking on in the post that you quote-mined.

The car is speeding down a hill at dangerous speed! We applied breaks and it is slowing down now, so it must be all right to take our foot off the break right?

To extend the analogy, Derec was essentially arguing that the car cannot even be described as "still going too fast", since it was going a lot faster before the brakes were applied...

- if the decrease rate is going to level off, I'd hope it would do so somewhere south of a 50k 7-day average... but I fear that the stalling point will be the same as it was after last July; it decreased slowly until it was below 40k for a few days, and then all hell broke loose. We can't afford to let that happen again!
Compared to today (35-40%) a much smaller percentage of the population had been exposed to the virus last July September (I believe you wanted to say September rather than July). And we did not have vaccines.
So even with variants there is not much chance of "all hell breaking loose".

Look at Brazil--herd immunity wasn't enough to prevent another surge. Why should Texas be any different?

Look at Brazil--herd immunity wasn't enough to prevent another surge. Why should Texas be any different?

The two are not at all comparable. The level of natural immunity is lower, even if we give some wiggle room for likely lower testing rates in Brazil. Brazil has ~5% of the population as confirmed cases, Texas has ~9%. And Brazil is way behind on vaccinations too. In Brazil less than 4% of the population has received at least one shot, while in Texas that figure is >15%.

So yes, I do not see major surges happening anywhere in US, including Texas. Minor surges are possible of course, but I think overall trajectory will be down regardless.

To extend the analogy, Derec was essentially arguing that the car cannot even be described as "still going too fast", since it was going a lot faster before the brakes were applied...

Wrong. I was saying that the car cannot be described as speeding up just because it's still moving forward. You were not saying cases were too high, you claimed they were increasing.

First of all, it's a brake, not break.
Second, I never said anything about taking the foot off the brake, but that Politesse was wrong and misleading in describing the cases as rising.

The two are not at all comparable. The level of natural immunity is lower, even if we give some wiggle room for likely lower testing rates in Brazil. Brazil has ~5% of the population as confirmed cases, Texas has ~9%. And Brazil is way behind on vaccinations too. In Brazil less than 4% of the population has received at least one shot, while in Texas that figure is >15%.

So yes, I do not see major surges happening anywhere in US, including Texas. Minor surges are possible of course, but I think overall trajectory will be down regardless.

It was the city of Manaus that was thought to have herd immunity, not all of Brazil. It didn't.

Wrong. I was saying that the car cannot be described as speeding up just because it's still moving forward. You were not saying cases were too high, you claimed they were increasing.

No, I didn't.

No, I didn't.

Derec HAS to misrepresent your statement to avoid confronting his error.
Forgive and forget it. He hasn't even acknowledged missing his death rate prediction for March 1st by over 3x.

Does this really matter seeing Texas is lining up things to get worse again?

If the US spikes again, these Southern states should be deposited into the Gulf of Mexico.

[insult removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom