• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

I suspect that Suncoast Christian College would not want me as their new Head of Science.
I learned a long time ago that what people want and what they NEED are two different things.

Life is a poorly named TV series about a Buddhist cop.

Buddhist cop: "I've been thinking about what I want and what I need."

Other cop: "What do you want?"

Buddhist cop: "I want a peaceful soul."

Other cop: "What do you need."

Buddhist cop: "I need a bigger gun."

True Story: my wife and I are awoken after midnight by a constant squeeky-squeeky sound. Persistent. We live in a row house at the time. Both of us have the same thought - we are hearing the neighbors through the wall. Oh gawd please no. I decide that I will get up, go to the bathroom, make some normal nighttime noises, perhaps they will hear and at least finish in another room. . . . as I get up, there in the doorway to our bedroom closet, which is up against the common wall, and leaning against the closet door, is our cat licking himself, thoroughly, causing the door hinge to go squeeky-squeeky. Damn cat.

I was 17 years old and high when I first saw this. I laughed so hard I didn't think I'd make it out alive.

I was in one of those meetings at work, a dozen or so persons discussing a seemingly unsolvable problem. Communication skills were not high, competing ideas were repeatedly voiced without acknowledging that each idea failed to address the common goals. We kept "circling the drain" with no end to the back up. Tensions and frustrations rising. Just as we started to go around the table once more, one of the junior project managers interrupted, emphatically saying "THIRD BASE". A slight majority around the table starting laughing.

That part that almost ended me was when Abbot confirmed he got it and Costello said "I don't even know what I'm talking about". Lol

My 19 year old son told me the name of the song. :)

I was never much of a Zeppelin fan but he is. Funny how my boys know 60's/70's hard rock better than I do!

I actually like Led Zeppelin much better than The Grateful Dead. :) But, I still like soul and funk better than most any classic rock.

I don't find it strange that your son knows a lot about rock from the 60s and 70s. When I was working, the young Black women all knew a lot about soul music from the 60s and 70s. The truth is that boomer era music was/is the best! :p

The Grateful Dead. :)

All I can say is that if all you know are their studio albums you don't know the Grateful Dead. It's the live concerts that matters. Totally different from the studio stuff.

There is a lot stuff on Youtube.

Closing of Winterland 12/31/78 entire concert

If you only want a taste, slide forward 2 hours and 39 minutes for Not Fade Away. They are joined by some guys from Quicksilver.

1974, 1977, 1988 and 1990 are probably my favorite years.

1967-69 were my fav years. Saw 6-8 bands/ wk live, ticket prices were $2.50-$3.75 at Fillmore West, Avalon Ballroom and Winterland, plus there were smaller venues like The Matrix … it has never been anything like that since.

The Grateful Dead. :)

All I can say is that if all you know are their studio albums you don't know the Grateful Dead. It's the live concerts that matters. Totally different from the studio stuff.

There is a lot stuff on Youtube.

Closing of Winterland 12/31/78 entire concert

If you only want a taste, slide forward 2 hours and 39 minutes for Not Fade Away. They are joined by some guys from Quicksilver.

1974, 1977, 1988 and 1990 are probably my favorite years.

I know you love them. We have a lot of their albums, but they've never really done it for me. My husband was a fan and we have a friend who is only in his early 50s, who is a serious "Dead Head". I do like some of their pieces on an album called, "Steppin out in England". Mr. Sohy is the one who introduced me to the Dead as well as a lot of Southern Rock. I was more into the psychedelic rock back in the day, but I've loved soul ever since I first heard Sam Cook sing "Chain Gang' when I was about 8 and had my first transistor radio. How simple life seemed back then.....if not for the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and then came Viet Nam and the draft.....Come to think of it, life was never simple. But the music is still great!

1967-69 were my fav years. Saw 6-8 bands/ wk live, ticket prices were $2.50-$3.75 at Fillmore West, Avalon Ballroom and Winterland, plus there were smaller venues like The Matrix … it has never been anything like that since.
Here in Brisbane, we have Sunday On The Green, at Sirromet Winery. They often have a few bands and artists on a Sunday. If it wasn’t such a pain to get to if you want to have a drink, and the tickets weren’t $150, it would be worth it.

This will mix it up a bit.

Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) and Wolf Pack with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center in DC 10-9-2022

3b62p8hkh43a1.jpg

Three year-old Robert Quigley smoking a cigar, Washington DC, 30th August 1928. Quigley apparently started smoking when, as a one year-old on his father's knee, he grabbed his father's pipe and tried smoking it. Photo by Henry Miller.

Back
Top Bottom