• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

To Give You a Size of the Immense and Growing Size of Illegal Immigration

One wonders why anyone would pay attention to anything Paul Craig Roberts says, let alone give it any credence.
Around 20 years ago he was predicting the US would become a 3rd world country by now. I know because I was reading him back then too. Well I don't think we are quite there yet economically. But politically there is a case to say the US is a banana republic now or at least our leaders act like banana republic leaders do. We have seen an effort to prevent a smooth transition of POTUS, government efforts to censor opposition in an election, and also using government as a weapon to prevent a candidate from running. So in comparison to US in 2000 I believe it is fair to say we have made some important strides towards becoming 3rd world status.

PCR timing was obviously off but the trend of his prediction has still been spot on accurate.
1) I've been in third world economies. They're nothing like what I see here.

2) A smooth transition of POTUS? You're supporting a coup! MTG has even admitted it was a coup.

You're on the side trying to make us into a dictatorship.

But politically there is a case to say the US is a banana republic
Largely because people like yourself give fringe lunatics credence. You remember the pillow guy, right?
We have seen an effort to prevent a smooth transition of POTUS
Again, supported by people like you.
government efforts to censor opposition in an election
Nope, we've talked about that too.
and also using government as a weapon to prevent a candidate from running.
I could point out Biden had nothing to do with that, but instead I'll just point out your Lord and Saviour Trump's attempts to suppress the vote
So in comparison to US in 2000 I believe it is fair to say we have made some important strides towards becoming 3rd world status.
I agree. I'm just confused as to why someone like yourself who so readily consumes new alt-right media considers that such a bad thing.
PCR timing was obviously off but the trend of his prediction has still been spot on accurate.
You should have been more motivated then, apparently.

Around 20 years ago he was predicting the US would become a 3rd world country by now. I know because I was reading him back then too.
Over the course of my life I too have seen this happening.
Here's the thing though. "Banana Republic" is mainly about oligarchic authoritarian government and wealth disparity. Those things have consistently soared when conservatives are in power and receded when Democrats are in power.
Take a look at the state of this country when Clinton took office and when he left. Then compare that to how it was when Bush II took office and when he left. Then compare that to when Obama took office and when he left. Then when Trump took office and when he left.
The Republicans and now Teapartiers have consistently degraded the situation here and the Democrats have consistently improved it.
That's not just a personal opinion, the evidence is huge and stretches back decades.
Tom

One wonders why anyone would pay attention to anything Paul Craig Roberts says, let alone give it any credence.
Around 20 years ago he was predicting the US would become a 3rd world country by now.
You supported the banana republic candidate. Just saying.
We have seen an effort to prevent a smooth transition of POTUS,
You supported that guy too...
...government efforts to censor opposition in an election
That is absolutely false.
and also using government as a weapon to prevent a candidate from running.
You misspelled, being held liable for their actions.
So in comparison to US in 2000 I believe it is fair to say we have made some important strides towards becoming 3rd world status.
Actually, we made huge strides into becoming the country the GOP sold America. Most of these declines are related to the justice put on the courts by the Republicans.

I suspect RVonse really has no idea of what the conditions are in a real third world country.

As someone who knows what those words meant en debut, I'm amused by the notion that the US is somehow getting kicked out of its own bloc. It'd be healthy for us, honestly. The Cold War sucked.

Back
Top Bottom